The Gallifreyan Embassy
Home of the Doctor Who podcast DOCTOR WHO: PODSHOCK
Advertising | Donate | Feedback | New Website | Podshock | Shop | Forum | Media Gallery | Web Resources | Polls
 Gallifreyan Embassy 3.0  
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: The Mark of the Rani? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 301 - 'The Mark of the Rani' is Reviewed
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Featured in Podcastrovalva
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 300 - The Passing of Kate O'Mara, Interviews with Mary Tamm and Janet Fielding
  • NASA New Spacesuit Z-2 Dominates
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 299 - 'The Web of Fear' Reviewed, News, and More
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 298 - 'The Enemy of the World' Reviewed, News, and More
  • Emma Campbell-Jones joins the L.I. Who 2 line up "Best news all day"
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 297 - Classic Interview with Colin Baker, News, Feedback, and More
  • How do you rate the Matt Smith era of Doctor Who? (5=Fantastic)

•  Topics  
    Home
    Doctor Who News (188/0)
    DW: Podshock (201/0)
    DW Reviews (33/0)
    Torchwood (15/0)
    Sarah Jane Adven... (13/0)
    General News (29/0)
    Embassy News (19/0)
    Editorials (5/0)
    Alien Tech (2/0)

Extra! Extra!  

Become a Podshock Supporting Subscriber

Randomizer  
    R/C Dalek detail
    R/C Dalek detail
    Browse Album

User Functions  
    :

:

Lost your password?

Support Podshock  

This site and our podcast are free to use and listen to respectively. Though there are costs involved in maintaining and producing both. If you like, please make a donation to help offset these costs and to help ensure that we can continue to bring you both. Thank you so much.

You can make a one time donation of any amount you like using the above "Donate" button. If you rather make an annual recurring donation of $25 (that is less than 50 cents a week), use the "Subscribe" button below.

Save big on toys & collectibles at Entertainment Earth! CLICK HERE for Doctor Who, Star Wars, Buffy, Ozzy, Spider-Man, & more!

Events  
    There are no upcoming events

Audible UK  

Dr Who Audio Downloads from audible.co.uk

DWNY  
    DWNY

Ads by Google  

Older Stories  
    Wednesday 06-May
  • In Russell/Moffat We Trust Shirts and More (1)

• Tuesday 05-May
  • Join Us for Our Second Second Life Meet Up (3)

• Friday 01-May
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 147 (0)

• Wednesday 29-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 27th of April 2009 (0)

• Saturday 25-Apr
  • Who Party 14 Toronto Doctor Who Convention (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 146 (1)

• Thursday 23-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver and Hoo on Who for the Week of the 20 April 2009 (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 145 (4)

• Wednesday 15-Apr
  • Three New Producers Announced (0)

• Saturday 11-Apr
  • Planet Of The Dead Canadian air date confirmed (0)

• Tuesday 07-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Recognized as Best Podcast (1)
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 5th of April 2009 (0)

• Wednesday 01-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 144 (5)

• Friday 20-Mar
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 143 (3)
  • Hitchhiker's Guide to British Sci-Fi - Episode 3 (1)

•  Notice  

Doctor Who and the TARDIS are owned and trademarked by the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC). The Gallifreyan Embassy and the Doctor Who: Podshock podcast are not connected to the BBC in any way. No infringement is intended.

Home »  The Sylvester McCoy Era »  Fav Moments from the Slyvester McCoy error/er..
    Prev Topic Next  Printable Version
    Fav Moments from the Slyvester McCoy error/era Views: 1782
     Saturday, May 30 2009 @ 07:19 PM EDT
    TIME AND THE RANI
    Nothing. So nothing it's total crap. Anti DW!

PARADISE TOWERS
    The Doctor using a rule book to confuse the two guards and allowing his getting away to the elevator. A good bit among a really bad story.

DELTA AND THE BANNERMEN
    Love this story. Mel's best story. Would have liked to have seen her in the past more often. Best bit: The Doctor confronts the leader of the Bannermen and tells him off and walks away with Mel and the old man whom he is saving and helping escape...right under the nose of the leader. He stops at the bottom of the steps, "Perhaps I did go a bit too far."

DRAGONFIRE
    God, if there weren't so many other contenders for the role, this would be the worst story ever. Nothing at all in this. It's awful from start to finish. Mel and Ace together, just shoot me now. Slowest moving monster, rip off villain, little girl that adds nothing to plot. Oh, wait, ths is supposed to be best moments or fav moments.

REMEMBERBRANCE OF THE DALEKS
    They're driving or rather Ace is driving the van and they do an Abbott and Costello routine with double talk and it works. It's funny. Then Ace says, "If you don't like, then you drive." There's some kind of move away from the scene for a split second and the next scene in the van, we see the Doctor plopping into the seat and a surprised Ace plopping into her's. How'd he do that? that look is on her face. Very funny in a very well done story. Finally! And the flying Dalek of course.

THE HAPPINESS PATROL
    When the meddling, murder known only as the Doctor and his murdering, animal hating *censored* Ace are blown up by Helen A and eaten by her kind pet. No really. That's my favorite part. A sad story really in more ways than one. Oh, allright, when the Doctor takes the mike. But again, he's no Tom Baker but who is?

SILVER NEMESIS
    I haven't seen this for a long time, like most of the other stories around this time so really I don't know. I would have to say when the Doc and Ace dive into the stream and then later when Ace faces the Cybermen on the gangplank. It's all rather badly done though to be honest. I guess the end is compelling, "Who are you, professor? Doctor WHO?"

THE GREATEST SHOW IN THE GALAXY
    The Doctor walks away from the tent slowly. And he knows there will be rip roaring explosion from it any second. And the blast occurs and he keeps walking at his own pace. GREAT. Good story.

BATTLEFIELD
    Ace is drowning. GOOD! The Doctor is hoisted on his own petard! GREAT! A device he left himself traps him and Ace in the spaceship under the lake and a snake thing comes at him, the Doc yelling wildly, water filling up. Great cliffhanger and great moment.

GHOST LIGHT
    uhm...the "don't eat the soup" scene. It's delightfully horrid and creepy. And one of the only things that makes sense on first viewing. Also possibly the Doctor looking at drawer filled with bugs...

THE CURSE OF FENRIC
    Dr. Judson possessed is a great moment and scary. But the best moment in this is when the Doctor tells Ace off. The little brat deserves it. Every word makes me smile and laugh!

SURVIVAL
    I hate when animals die in movies and on tv. It's uncalled for. Anyway, best moment: the revelation of the Master being on the planet. Also the end scene. Also Ace's eyes turning. A lot of good moments actually. "IF we fight like animals we die like animals." But it should be said that McCoy doesn't do yelling that good.

DIMENSIONS IN TIME
    The start at seeing Tom Baker, then all the other actors who were off the screens for...well, like forever since 1989 I guess or 88...until 1993 brought them all back. The first part is sheer bliss seeing them all again. Then...welllll

Profile    PM    Email   

Saturday, May 30 2009 @ 08:26 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Chase]DIMENSIONS IN TIME
    The start at seeing Tom Baker, then all the other actors who were off the screens for...well, like forever since 1989 I guess or 88...until 1993 brought them all back. The first part is sheer bliss seeing them all again. Then...welllll

Just curious how you can like Dimensions In Time for seeing everybody back on screen after such a long time, but hate Time Crash so much, for which I think you used the term gimmicky? Wouldn't DIT be the ultimate gimmicky special?

Profile    PM    Email   

Saturday, May 30 2009 @ 09:00 PM EDT
    I guess you had to be there. Nowadays watching DIT is like having a tooth pulled. But if you thought you'd never see ANY DW again..and serously most of us thought it would never come back, or at least I did. Then suddenly there's ALL the Doctors back, and a host of companions and some villains too...and a new theme song version ...you have no idea what that's like. Seeing Tom just be the Doctor again...was amazing. Then in about five minutes u realize it's junk. TIMECRASH was junk from start to finish, a panto to showcase Tennant being wild and supposedly funny which he's not, and Davison who tries to be funny and he's not. A non existant threat (for all it's badness DIT at least had a threat and moved all around the Eastenders set). So yeah, I can't say I like DIT better than TimeCrash these days but when I first saw it...the time was right. Time Crash came when we had a lot of DW...and some of it was high quality. TC was not. Nor was DIT but it gave us some hope that maybe somewhere somehow we'd get a new series or a movie...

Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, May 31 2009 @ 06:31 AM EDT
    I was a young kid when I first saw these and I absolutely loved Sylvester McCoy.

THEME SONG AND TITLE SEQUENCE
    What can I say? They looked and sounded magical back then and I still love theem

TIME AND THE RANI
    The bubble traps. Incredible effects for the time and they still hold up pretty well to this day.

THE GREATEST SHOW IN THE GALAXY
    The explosion.

REMEMBERANCE OF THE DALEKS
    The strange girl and the dalek flying upstairs. Very creepy and exciting.

Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, May 31 2009 @ 11:26 AM EDT
    Sylvester McCoy... not a rich supply to choose from... ((Sarcastically) Thank you Michael Grade) however there is one scene in the first story (Time and the Rani) I like - it was when the Doctor and Mel were saying their good-byes to the Lakertans we get this banter betwee the two:

Doctor: In you go, Mel. Time and tide melt the snowman.

Mel: Waits for no man!

Doctor: Who's waiting? I'm ready.

Mel: (after a beat) You're going to take a bit of getting used to.

Doctor: Oh, I'll grow on you, Mel, I'll grow on you.

"Make your last move, Doctor. Make your LAST move." The Celestial Toymaker to the Doctor in "The Celestial Toymaker: The Final Test"
      Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, May 31 2009 @ 11:47 AM EDT
    <<< Mel: Waits for no man!
    Doctor: Who's waiting? I'm ready.
    Mel: (after a beat) You're going to take a bit of getting used to.
    Doctor: Oh, I'll grow on you, Mel, I'll grow on you>>>>>

Respectfully, Tom, I have to wholly disagree. I thought dialog like this is what made TIME AND THE RANI so bad. It was like the writers and McCoy were trying to emulate Douglas Adams and Tom Baker, which is always a bad thing to try when you're not them and they came out with dialog that makes no sense at all, even in a comedic fashion. It is like trying to do the great double talk of ABBOTT AND COSTELLO or GEORGE BURNS AND GRACIE ALLEN without the basic logic that both sides have but can't get through to the other. I mean that it makes no sense pretty much. Double talk has to make sense and has to have some basis for why the other person is confused. McCoy and Langford clearly have no grasp of verbal comedy at all. In addition the script is littered with things the Doctor says that are mixed metaphors and illtimed gags and just plain wrong sayings---and none of them are funny IMO. It is one of the main reasons I almost turned off the TV and stopped being a DW fan.

Profile    PM    Email   

Topic Legend:
    Normal Topic Normal Topic
    Locked Topic Locked Topic
    Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
    New Post New Post
    Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
    Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
    Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic
    You may not post messages
    Full HTML is allowed
    Words are censored