The Gallifreyan Embassy
Home of the Doctor Who podcast DOCTOR WHO: PODSHOCK
Advertising | Donate | Feedback | New Website | Podshock | Shop | Forum | Media Gallery | Web Resources | Polls
 Gallifreyan Embassy 3.0  
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: The Mark of the Rani? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 301 - 'The Mark of the Rani' is Reviewed
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Featured in Podcastrovalva
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 300 - The Passing of Kate O'Mara, Interviews with Mary Tamm and Janet Fielding
  • NASA New Spacesuit Z-2 Dominates
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 299 - 'The Web of Fear' Reviewed, News, and More
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 298 - 'The Enemy of the World' Reviewed, News, and More
  • Emma Campbell-Jones joins the L.I. Who 2 line up "Best news all day"
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 297 - Classic Interview with Colin Baker, News, Feedback, and More
  • How do you rate the Matt Smith era of Doctor Who? (5=Fantastic)

•  Topics  
    Home
    Doctor Who News (188/0)
    DW: Podshock (201/0)
    DW Reviews (33/0)
    Torchwood (15/0)
    Sarah Jane Adven... (13/0)
    General News (29/0)
    Embassy News (19/0)
    Editorials (5/0)
    Alien Tech (2/0)

Extra! Extra!  

Become a Podshock Supporting Subscriber

Randomizer  
    Battles in Time TARDIS card case (open)
    Battles in Time TARDIS card case (open)
    Browse Album

User Functions  
    :

:

Lost your password?

Support Podshock  

This site and our podcast are free to use and listen to respectively. Though there are costs involved in maintaining and producing both. If you like, please make a donation to help offset these costs and to help ensure that we can continue to bring you both. Thank you so much.

You can make a one time donation of any amount you like using the above "Donate" button. If you rather make an annual recurring donation of $25 (that is less than 50 cents a week), use the "Subscribe" button below.

Save big on toys & collectibles at Entertainment Earth! CLICK HERE for Doctor Who, Star Wars, Buffy, Ozzy, Spider-Man, & more!

Events  
    There are no upcoming events

Audible UK  

Dr Who Audio Downloads from audible.co.uk

DWNY  
    DWNY

Ads by Google  

Older Stories  
    Wednesday 06-May
  • In Russell/Moffat We Trust Shirts and More (1)

• Tuesday 05-May
  • Join Us for Our Second Second Life Meet Up (3)

• Friday 01-May
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 147 (0)

• Wednesday 29-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 27th of April 2009 (0)

• Saturday 25-Apr
  • Who Party 14 Toronto Doctor Who Convention (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 146 (1)

• Thursday 23-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver and Hoo on Who for the Week of the 20 April 2009 (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 145 (4)

• Wednesday 15-Apr
  • Three New Producers Announced (0)

• Saturday 11-Apr
  • Planet Of The Dead Canadian air date confirmed (0)

• Tuesday 07-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Recognized as Best Podcast (1)
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 5th of April 2009 (0)

• Wednesday 01-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 144 (5)

• Friday 20-Mar
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 143 (3)
  • Hitchhiker's Guide to British Sci-Fi - Episode 3 (1)

•  Notice  

Doctor Who and the TARDIS are owned and trademarked by the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC). The Gallifreyan Embassy and the Doctor Who: Podshock podcast are not connected to the BBC in any way. No infringement is intended.

Home »  The David Tennant Era »  What ONE thing would you change?
    Prev Topic Next Next Topic Printable Version
    What ONE thing would you change? Views: 2174
     Wednesday, August 09 2006 @ 09:38 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  daveac]
    [Quote  by:  hdutch007] There are THREE things I would change about both series one and series two.

1) get off earth

2) get off earth

3) perhaps at some point they could have told a story that didn't take place on or around earth, or involve humans? Or in other words, get off earth.

Two things -

Get off Earth

And make each series 22 episodes.

Cheers, daveac

Ditto.

"Elemental, my dear Benton." The Doctor to Sgt. Benton (The Daemons)
      Profile    PM    Email    Website 

Wednesday, August 09 2006 @ 09:51 PM EDT
    First off, I think this thread has drifted a bit from the original intention (what one thing would you change about series two specifically) to a more general wishlist of what you'd like to see in the future. Not that I'm complaining, just making an observation.

Now, for me, I can't say I completely agree with the "get off earth, damn it!" camp. I think my main request would be to make sure we tell Good Stories. To me, I don't particularly care where the story is set or whether it's centered on humans or aliens, I want to see a good, involving story. That to me is what we lost during the lower points of series two -- the storytelling got rushed (New Earth) or neglected (Fear Her) and also fell into a pretty predictable pattern. And all these things were brought up in the recent roundtable episode(s) of Podshock.

So I'd want RTD & Co to take a cue from the old series. We'll forgive almost anything (bubble wrap monsters, anyone?) as long as it's in the service of a cracking good story. After all, isn't that why we all come back to Doctor Who?

http://thatneilguy.blogspot.com

Wednesday, August 09 2006 @ 10:03 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Louis]
    [Quote  by:  DarthSkeptical] And the "classic" series' ones did?

Yep, more so than the current controls on the console. Though the new swiveling monitor on the console today does seem functional.

Cheers,
    Louis
    I think you're maybe thinking that 80s Doctor Who represents the totality of Doctor Who. There was indeed a more concerted effort on the part of JNT to inject some greater "order" to things (if for no other reason than they spent all that money to get a pretty new console), but I never noticed great continuity of button use in the TARDISes of the First through Fourth Doctors. Heh, the number of different buttons that Hartnell uses just to open the doors is hilarious.

"I think of myself as ambitious in casting terms, and I know that Bonnie [Langford] has the potential to make the part totally unirritating . . ." JNT, 1986

Thursday, August 10 2006 @ 01:14 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  DarthSkeptical]... I never noticed great continuity of button use in the TARDISes of the First through Fourth Doctors. Heh, the number of different buttons that Hartnell uses just to open the doors is hilarious.

Oh, I agree. I was merely speaking from an aesthetic point of view... or rather the visual appearance and design creating the illusion of plausible functionality. Which I admit is probably subjective.

You are right, outside of finally establishing what opens the TARDIS doors on the console at one point, there has been very little if none whatsoever in continuity with the console controls over the years.

Cheers,
    Louis

☛ Follow me on Twitter at http://twitter.com/LouisTrapani ♥ ♥

Thursday, August 10 2006 @ 08:07 AM EDT
    The problem with the console is that it could be a mound of gunk and we still wouldn't know how it works - so the traditional console made no more sense to me than this new one.

In fact if you watch some of the Gallifreyan-based episodes, their "flight control" panels (used in - I forget which episode - might have been "The Deadly Assassin") were just blocks of colored plastic.

If anything, this new Eccleston console makes more sense as a Gallifreyan gadget than the old one. The old one couldn't look more like it was made on Earth, with its VU Meters and Radio-Shack toggle switches.

I like the new console room. There is nothing in it that says "fantasy" any more than the original.

Still, the room could use a bit more light...

Sean.

One solid hope is worth a cartload of uncertainties.

Saturday, December 09 2006 @ 03:18 PM EST
    I agree with the get-off-the-Earth people and I would also say that some continuity with the console use would be wonderful.

I would love to see at least something beyond the console room. I mean, we saw the room filled with clothes - I can't think of a better word - in the Christmas Invasion, and part of me went 'Yay, we're finally going to see some more rooms' - but that was never followed up on. We are still just stuck in the console room. I very much liked the Fifth Doctor showing of each of the companion's rooms - and my apologies if I'm being too specific here, my First through Fourth knowledge is rather limited.

In 'Terminus', I think it was, it was a good moment when Turlough took over Adric's room. That made the viewer remember his character and feel his abscene a little more, and made you realise that another companion just appears to fill his space. If we could see Rose's room in the 'Runaway Bride' and have the Doctor wander around that for thirty seconds brooding, I think that would be a wonderful moment.

So yes, although I'm wandering away from the intended purpose of the thread, I would have liked to see more other rooms in season two, especially since they hinted at it and then gave nothing more. That's my one thing.

Profile    PM    Email   

Saturday, December 09 2006 @ 05:48 PM EST
    If they can't get off earth, could they at least get out of the UK for at least one story???

I'd love to see the Doctor in Scandinavia or Iceland or even in Canada for a story. Just for something different.

Saturday, December 09 2006 @ 07:33 PM EST
    [Quote  by:  hdutch007] There are THREE things I would change about both series one and series two.

1) get off earth

2) get off earth

3) perhaps at some point they could have told a story that didn't take place on or around earth, or involve humans? Or in other words, get off earth.

1) ditto

2) ditto

3) ditto

Cheers, daveac

daveac on blip.tv, TalkShoe, iTunes, LiveVideo, uStream, GE, Sci-Fi, DWO, DS & WTA, Dave C on WLP, cooperda on AVF, dac100 on YouTube & PB, dac on Tiscali

Saturday, December 09 2006 @ 08:49 PM EST
    [Quote  by:  Palms] If they can't get off earth, could they at least get out of the UK for at least one story???

I'd love to see the Doctor in Scandinavia or Iceland or even in Canada for a story. Just for something different.

They were in Utah, or rather under it, in Series One. [SPOILER]And they do a scene in Scandanavia (Norway) in the Series Two finale. And New York is supposed to be the scene for episodes 4-5 of Series Three.[/SPOILER]

Taras

Daleks don't accept apologies! YOU WILL BE EXTERMINATED!

Saturday, December 09 2006 @ 09:00 PM EST
    I forgot about the Utah episode. As for your spoiler, we are only half way through season two in Canada and my family and I chose we would watch it on the CBC.

I know next to nothing about the upcoming episodes, I have managed to listen/read almost nothing about them and am trying to keep it that way.

That season 3 info is predictable, isn't it?

Sunday, December 10 2006 @ 12:58 PM EST
    [Quote  by:  DarthSkeptical] There was indeed a more concerted effort on the part of JNT to inject some greater "order" to things (if for no other reason than they spent all that money to get a pretty new console), but I never noticed great continuity of button use in the TARDISes of the First through Fourth Doctors. Heh, the number of different buttons that Hartnell uses just to open the doors is hilarious.

I personally liked the magical TARDIS Index File monitor that appeared out of nowhere in Castrovalva and then (to my knowledge) never appeared again.

Mr. Green

I'm going "Full Circle" and putting my avatar back to what it was when I first joined. :)
      Profile    PM    Email   

Thursday, December 21 2006 @ 07:05 AM EST
    [Quote  by:  Radar] I agree with the get-off-the-Earth people and I would also say that some continuity with the console use would be wonderful.

I would love to see at least something beyond the console room. I mean, we saw the room filled with clothes - I can't think of a better word - in the Christmas Invasion, and part of me went 'Yay, we're finally going to see some more rooms' - but that was never followed up on. We are still just stuck in the console room. I very much liked the Fifth Doctor showing of each of the companion's rooms - and my apologies if I'm being too specific here, my First through Fourth knowledge is rather limited.

In 'Terminus', I think it was, it was a good moment when Turlough took over Adric's room. That made the viewer remember his character and feel his abscene a little more, and made you realise that another companion just appears to fill his space. If we could see Rose's room in the 'Runaway Bride' and have the Doctor wander around that for thirty seconds brooding, I think that would be a wonderful moment.

So yes, although I'm wandering away from the intended purpose of the thread, I would have liked to see more other rooms in season two, especially since they hinted at it and then gave nothing more. That's my one thing.

Yes, yes and yes! Definitely want to see more of the TARDIS interior - beyond the control room.

If I'm not mistaken the reason only the control room is seen in the first two series is due to studio space (or rather lack of). But now they have moved to a larger, Dr Who specific studio, I hope they take advantage of it and give us a TARDIS bound episode, a la Edge of Destruction or even just take us on a tour e.g. Logopolis, etc.

Profile    PM    Email   

Topic Legend:
    Normal Topic Normal Topic
    Locked Topic Locked Topic
    Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
    New Post New Post
    Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
    Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
    Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic
    You may not post messages
    Full HTML is allowed
    Words are censored