The Gallifreyan Embassy
Home of the Doctor Who podcast DOCTOR WHO: PODSHOCK
Advertising | Donate | Feedback | New Website | Podshock | Shop | Forum | Media Gallery | Web Resources | Polls
 Gallifreyan Embassy 3.0  
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 315 - 'Flatline' Reviewed
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Flatline? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Flatline' Scheduled for Sunday, Oct 19th
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 314 - 'Mummy on the Orient Express' Reviewed
  • Music Video of 'Don't Stop Me Now' Performed by Foxes from Doctor Who 'Mummy on the Orient Express'
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Mummy on the Orient Express? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Mummy on the Orient Express' Scheduled for Sunday, Oct 12th
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 313 - 'Kill the Moon' Reviewed
  • The Curse Of The Black Tooth - Spoilers!
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Kill The Moon? (5=Fantastic)

•  Topics  
    Home
    Doctor Who News (188/0)
    DW: Podshock (201/0)
    DW Reviews (33/0)
    Torchwood (15/0)
    Sarah Jane Adven... (13/0)
    General News (29/0)
    Embassy News (19/0)
    Editorials (5/0)
    Alien Tech (2/0)

Extra! Extra!  

Become a Podshock Supporting Subscriber

Randomizer  
    Petrol Station TARDIS
    Petrol Station TARDIS
    Browse Album

User Functions  
    :

:

Lost your password?

Support Podshock  

This site and our podcast are free to use and listen to respectively. Though there are costs involved in maintaining and producing both. If you like, please make a donation to help offset these costs and to help ensure that we can continue to bring you both. Thank you so much.

You can make a one time donation of any amount you like using the above "Donate" button. If you rather make an annual recurring donation of $25 (that is less than 50 cents a week), use the "Subscribe" button below.

Save big on toys & collectibles at Entertainment Earth! CLICK HERE for Doctor Who, Star Wars, Buffy, Ozzy, Spider-Man, & more!

Events  
    There are no upcoming events

Audible UK  

Dr Who Audio Downloads from audible.co.uk

DWNY  
    DWNY

Ads by Google  

Older Stories  
    Wednesday 06-May
  • In Russell/Moffat We Trust Shirts and More (1)

• Tuesday 05-May
  • Join Us for Our Second Second Life Meet Up (3)

• Friday 01-May
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 147 (0)

• Wednesday 29-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 27th of April 2009 (0)

• Saturday 25-Apr
  • Who Party 14 Toronto Doctor Who Convention (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 146 (1)

• Thursday 23-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver and Hoo on Who for the Week of the 20 April 2009 (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 145 (4)

• Wednesday 15-Apr
  • Three New Producers Announced (0)

• Saturday 11-Apr
  • Planet Of The Dead Canadian air date confirmed (0)

• Tuesday 07-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Recognized as Best Podcast (1)
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 5th of April 2009 (0)

• Wednesday 01-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 144 (5)

• Friday 20-Mar
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 143 (3)
  • Hitchhiker's Guide to British Sci-Fi - Episode 3 (1)

•  Notice  

Doctor Who and the TARDIS are owned and trademarked by the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC). The Gallifreyan Embassy and the Doctor Who: Podshock podcast are not connected to the BBC in any way. No infringement is intended.

Home »  Doctor Who Collectables »  Just ordered Walkie Talkies
    Prev Topic Next Next Topic Printable Version
    Just ordered Walkie Talkies Views: 955
     Friday, December 30 2005 @ 11:18 AM EST
    Dr Who NA has them in stock so I ordered them, so cool, so silly Laughing Out Loud Can't wait to get them. I will write a little review when they arrive. I do intend to use them at Icon if I can get anyone else to use them with me, talking into a Slitheen seems such fun Big Grin

Still no sign of my remote controlled dalek yet Cry I do hope I get it in time for Icon, I do want to use it in Hospitality, exterminating annoying people who keep coming back for seconds, thirds, fourths would be much fun Cool

Admiral Kristine Kochanski G.A.B. Saffron, Moonstone, Burnt Orange Team Leader http://www.gabtraders.com "O brave new world That has such people in't"
      Profile    PM    Email   

Saturday, December 31 2005 @ 04:01 AM EST
    Well, I hope you get the Walkie talkies soon...

T.

Daleks don't accept apologies! YOU WILL BE EXTERMINATED!
      Profile    PM    Email    Website 

Tuesday, January 03 2006 @ 09:25 PM EST
    Got my walkie-talkies today, woo hoo. Dr Who NA is very speedy Cool

So I will do a preliminary report here. I do not have the batteries needed to try them out yet, I will pick them up tomorrow and give that part a test, too.

Packaging for the w-t is very nice. Box has nice pics of Doctor, Slitheen and Tardis on it with character information too. The w-t themselves are attached to cardboard inside the box that slides out. Each attached by three twist ties to side, back and bottom of cardboard insert.

The w-t are rather large 12 inches high, but really nicely sculpted and painted. My only complaint is that the Doctor is a bit pale and yellowish, so he sort of has a Data android effect going on. It is not terrible, but if they had made him a bit pinker it probably would have looked nicer. They are stiff hard plastic and the only parts that move on them are the arms. Arm movement is necessary, since antenna is located in right arm of each. They stand quite nicely and do look good just standing there, even if you don't use them as w-t. Posing the Slitheen with arms up and standing it can be tricky because of the size of the arms kind of unbalances him, but you can do it.

W-t parts are fairly cleverly disguised. the on switch on the back, the talk button on side and not too obtrusive. the speaker is probably the most visible, hole pattern on chest of each, but not too big to draw that much attention to them. The microphone on each is well done. Slitheen has belly button as mic, the Doctor has a hole at bottom corner of jacket.

Batteries used are 4 AAA in each. The battery compartment is screw down, which is a bit annoying but since they are making these for children, I guess they don't want the kiddies playing with the batteries.

I do like them a lot, not quite sure how good they will be for w-t use, simply because of their size. Not really convenient to carry, no strap or hook, so you need a backpack really to carry them. They do seem solid and sturdy so they will probably take abuse fairly well, so I think most kids could play with them without problem. For me, I could see having them on desk at work to talk to someone in another cube, that would probably be fun.

I will test the actual function of the units when I get the batteries. At least it won't be a hunt for them.

Won't give my rating on them, yet, want to test w-t function first.

Just added a pic of them to the gallery
    Big Grin

Admiral Kristine Kochanski G.A.B. Saffron, Moonstone, Burnt Orange Team Leader http://www.gabtraders.com "O brave new world That has such people in't"
      Profile    PM    Email   

Wednesday, January 04 2006 @ 09:12 PM EST
    Part two of my review

Got the batteries, 8 AAA batteries to fill both w-t, a lot of batteries for them, but at least not difficult to find. Easy to open the battery compartments on backs of Doctor and Slitheen, so even with screw it wasn't too difficult. Both work very nicely, except the on/off switch on the Doctor did not work, permanently on, so taking out one battery the only way to silence it. They do transmit nicely and it is rather fun talking into them, makes me smile just doing it Laughing Out Loud

As for rating I would give them 4 out of 5 tardis grinds, mostly because of the size and impractiblity of them for use for adult fans. Kids running around their yards will probably have a blast with them, but for anyone else, just carrying them around to use them is a drawback. They are quite nice just sitting on a desk as decoration, though.

Profile    PM    Email   

Thursday, January 05 2006 @ 02:06 AM EST
    [Quote  by:  K Kochanski] My only complaint is that the Doctor is a bit pale and yellowish,

Well, you'd be a bit pale if you abs… SPOILER! SPOILER! SPOILER! ...ex, because noone's meant to do that. I'm sure those who have seen Series One can fill in the blank. Wink

Thanks for the updates on the w-t's. I don't know if I'd get these just to sit on a shelf/desk/monitor doing nothing for their price. Who knows, I may change my mind... but I feel 12" action figures would have been a better toy idea, unless the kids in the U.K. are really into walkie talkies. I could see a Simon Callow as Dickens figure. Smile

Taras

Daleks don't accept apologies! YOU WILL BE EXTERMINATED!
      Profile    PM    Email    Website 

Thursday, January 05 2006 @ 08:08 AM EST
    The w-t are meant for ages 5 & up (as it says on the box) so they really are geared toward kiddies and not really meant for adults, so I am sure the portability of them was not considered when they made them.

They are still cool, just for adults more useful for stationary use (talk from office to office or between rooms at home).

Action figures would be very cool, though Rolling Eyes

Profile    PM    Email   

Topic Legend:
    Normal Topic Normal Topic
    Locked Topic Locked Topic
    Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
    New Post New Post
    Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
    Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
    Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic
    You may not post messages
    Full HTML is allowed
    Words are censored