The Gallifreyan Embassy
Home of the Doctor Who podcast DOCTOR WHO: PODSHOCK
Advertising | Donate | Feedback | New Website | Podshock | Shop | Forum | Media Gallery | Web Resources | Polls
 Gallifreyan Embassy 3.0  
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 305 - Interviews with Peter Howell and Ron Katz
  • Five Years of The Cultdom Collective Podcast!
  • The Official BBC Teaser Promo Video for the New 2014 Series [VIDEO]
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: The Claws of Axos? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 304 - 'The Claws of Axos' is Reviewed
  • New Doctor Who Series Launch Confirmed for August and Teaser Promo Video
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: The Invasion of Time? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 303 - 'The Invasion of Time' is Reviewed
  • Dozens of Doctor Who guests converge on Long Island this November!
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 302 - Terry Walsh Interviewed

•  Topics  
    Home
    Doctor Who News (188/0)
    DW: Podshock (201/0)
    DW Reviews (33/0)
    Torchwood (15/0)
    Sarah Jane Adven... (13/0)
    General News (29/0)
    Embassy News (19/0)
    Editorials (5/0)
    Alien Tech (2/0)

Extra! Extra!  

Become a Podshock Supporting Subscriber

Randomizer  
    Bertie Basset
    Bertie Basset
    Browse Album

User Functions  
    :

:

Lost your password?

Support Podshock  

This site and our podcast are free to use and listen to respectively. Though there are costs involved in maintaining and producing both. If you like, please make a donation to help offset these costs and to help ensure that we can continue to bring you both. Thank you so much.

You can make a one time donation of any amount you like using the above "Donate" button. If you rather make an annual recurring donation of $25 (that is less than 50 cents a week), use the "Subscribe" button below.

Save big on toys & collectibles at Entertainment Earth! CLICK HERE for Doctor Who, Star Wars, Buffy, Ozzy, Spider-Man, & more!

Events  
    There are no upcoming events

Audible UK  

Dr Who Audio Downloads from audible.co.uk

DWNY  
    DWNY

Ads by Google  

Older Stories  
    Wednesday 06-May
  • In Russell/Moffat We Trust Shirts and More (1)

• Tuesday 05-May
  • Join Us for Our Second Second Life Meet Up (3)

• Friday 01-May
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 147 (0)

• Wednesday 29-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 27th of April 2009 (0)

• Saturday 25-Apr
  • Who Party 14 Toronto Doctor Who Convention (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 146 (1)

• Thursday 23-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver and Hoo on Who for the Week of the 20 April 2009 (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 145 (4)

• Wednesday 15-Apr
  • Three New Producers Announced (0)

• Saturday 11-Apr
  • Planet Of The Dead Canadian air date confirmed (0)

• Tuesday 07-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Recognized as Best Podcast (1)
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 5th of April 2009 (0)

• Wednesday 01-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 144 (5)

• Friday 20-Mar
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 143 (3)
  • Hitchhiker's Guide to British Sci-Fi - Episode 3 (1)

•  Notice  

Doctor Who and the TARDIS are owned and trademarked by the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC). The Gallifreyan Embassy and the Doctor Who: Podshock podcast are not connected to the BBC in any way. No infringement is intended.

Home »  Sarah Jane Adventures - Series 1 »  The Sarah Jane Adventures
    Prev Topic Next Next Topic Printable Version
    The Sarah Jane Adventures Views: 4532
     Thursday, January 04 2007 @ 08:17 AM EST
    Thanks Abersoch.

Seems odd they haven't chosen to do the K9=supercomputer bit. He can't go cruising round given he is a little hi-tech...shouldn't Torchwood really confiscate him?! Just kidding but it is a thought!

If they were having K9 in more of the show I would watch more but having him written out removes my interest in the show. I'll wait for Doctor Who and Torchwood.

Practice acts of random kindness.
      Profile    PM    Email   

Thursday, January 04 2007 @ 02:18 PM EST

Once again, Sean and I are in sync in regards to many points in this first outing of the Sarah Jane Adventures.

[Quote  by:  seanhuxter] Well, I thought it was a good childrens' show. Which is in the spirit of the original Doctor Who.

Agreed. There was no question that it is aimed at a younger audience... I was fearful that it may have talked down to its audience or insult their intelligence, but thankfully, I believe it avoided that for the most part.

[Quote  by:  seanhuxter]
    I liked seeing Sarah Jane again. HATED what's going on with K9. It makes no sense, and is just kind of dumb.

Agreed. This was just a way to get K9 out of the way... So they can do the series and not have to explain why K9 is missing or why Sarah is not using K9 in her adventures. They seemed to clearly not want to make this a relaunch of K9 and Company. Since there is going to another series based on K9, albeit a very different looking K9, I guess they didn't want two series featuring K9. It seems to me that "Luke" and "Mr. Smith" will be taking the place of K9 in this series.

I wish they had named the kid John, instead of Luke. Would have been very appropriate.

Loved her room, but it seems she has more alien tech than Torchwood. And in such a short time? Doesn't make sense to me.

Agreed and agreed. I thought for sure she was going to name him John... as a nod to the Doctor. The way she regards the Doctor, it would make sense... It was a lost opportunity there. Luke? I don't know.

Loved the room... it looks like mine. But where is she getting all those alien goodies? Does she have some sort of alien tech magnet? Where did Mr. Smith come from? How did she get so much in such a short period of time? It would have made more sense if she started all this after leaving the Doctor the first time.

I thought this was a bit too close to the "Slurm" episode of "Futurama". Can RTD be running out of ideas so early?

Was that truly co-written by Gareth Roberts? Blake?

Wow. Lots to talk about in the up-coming "Podshock", eh, Louis, Ken, James?

Yeah, it is a take off on that episode of Futurama which seemed like a take off on Charlie and Chocolate Factory. That is what I was thinking while watching this... Harry Potter meets Charlie and the Chocolate Factory meets K9 and Company.

As for Doctor Who: Podshock we last recorded the day prior to the transmission of this and the final two Torchwood episodes. So there isn't much about it in the next upcoming episode. But we will discuss it soon.

Cheers,
    Louis

☛ Follow me on Twitter at http://twitter.com/LouisTrapani ♥ ♥
      Profile    PM    Email    Website 

Thursday, January 04 2007 @ 02:22 PM EST
    [Quote  by:  Magrathea] ...
    So, Louis, Ken and James, when can we expect Podshock Bubbleshock??

"Drink it... while listening to Podshock...."

Yeah, the Podshock connection was not lost on me... Hmmm...

Thursday, January 04 2007 @ 02:41 PM EST
    I love the sonic lip-stick. But I kept thinking: where the heck did she pick THAT up? I can buy some of the other tech devices, she did say that she ran into her travel companion (the Doctor) a year and a half ago: maybe she is that curious individual mentioned on Torchwood that is buying up all the alien tech? (If that's the case, one wonders where did she get the money?).

Seriously, I enjoyed the show a bunch: I found myself smiling the whole way through it. I enjoyed that they did not stress the Doctor too much, hated the explain-away of K-9, enjoyed Marie and her dad (what's up with that nutso mom, tho'?), Kelsey'll take a bit of getting used too (much too brash for words), and hopefully we'll get to see some of Luke's growing "pains" as he acclimates himself to life.

Don't know if anyone here watched "Hex," but that was the last place I'd see the Muffin... same durn haircut two years on....

supremacy is relative
      Profile    PM    Email   

Thursday, January 04 2007 @ 07:59 PM EST
    [Quote  by:  Louis]
    Loved the room... it looks like mine. But where is she getting all those alien goodies? Does she have some sort of alien tech magnet? Where did Mr. Smith come from? How did she get so much in such a short period of time? It would have made more sense if she started all this after leaving the Doctor the first time.

I took it that she gets the alien tech from various aliens who drop in on her. I thought that was what was being set up when Maria caught Sarah Jane talking to the alien.

As for the Sonic Screwdriver, I figured it was a gift from the Doctor, probably stored inside the new K9 when he left him with her.

It had to be. The design is too similar to the one the Doctor has. It certainly isn't from the Tom Baker Doc days.

Sean.

One solid hope is worth a cartload of uncertainties.

Thursday, January 04 2007 @ 08:17 PM EST
    So I guess I am the first to bring up the topic of Belly-Button-Less boy Luke. Nod to the books
    or token gifted non-boy boy? "Is that Good or Bad?"

Eek! Question Rolling Eyes Wink Confused

I'm a Time Traveler, I point and laugh at archaeologist.

Thursday, January 04 2007 @ 10:07 PM EST
    [Quote  by:  seanhuxter] I took it that she gets the alien tech from various aliens who drop in on her. I thought that was what was being set up when Maria caught Sarah Jane talking to the alien.

As for the Sonic Screwdriver, I figured it was a gift from the Doctor, probably stored inside the new K9 when he left him with her.

It had to be. The design is too similar to the one the Doctor has. It certainly isn't from the Tom Baker Doc days.

Sean.

I only watched it once so far... why are all these aliens dropping in on her again? Are they detecting residue alien stuff (I can't recall the term that used in this episode) on her and then zero in on it?

Yeah, I figured the sonic lipstick had to be from the Doctor... it is too much like the Doctor not to be.

Cheers,
    Louis

Thursday, January 04 2007 @ 10:12 PM EST
    [Quote  by:  merlin_mccarley] So I guess I am the first to bring up the topic of Belly-Button-Less boy Luke. Nod to the books
    or token gifted non-boy boy? "Is that Good or Bad?"

Eek! Question Rolling Eyes Wink Confused

Actually, my first thought was of the ABC summer science-fiction/drama series Kyle XY in which it's whole marketing campaign focused in on this mysterious character lacking a navel.

Luke even looked like a younger version of Kyle.

Cheers,
    Louis

Thursday, January 04 2007 @ 10:41 PM EST
    [Quote  by:  Louis]
    Actually, my first thought was of the ABC summer science-fiction/drama series Kyle XY in which it's whole marketing campaign focused in on this mysterious character lacking a navel.

Luke even looked like a younger version of Kyle.

Cheers,
    Louis

Eek! Ooook, but Heroes and Daybreak were obscure? Never heard of it, 10 episodes out and I still have never heard of it. LOL, Ok Louis I guess we will check it out if you will check out Heroes Wink .

Cheers,
    Mike M.

I'm a Time Traveler, I point and laugh at archaeologist.

Thursday, January 04 2007 @ 11:19 PM EST
    [Quote  by:  merlin_mccarley]

Eek! Ooook, but Heroes and Daybreak were obscure? Never heard of it, 10 episodes out and I still have never heard of it. LOL, Ok Louis I guess we will check it out if you will check out Heroes Wink .

Cheers,
    Mike M.

Oh, I would have been completely oblivious to this series as well. The only reason I knew about Kyle XY was because I was at an Apple store early on in the beginning of summer when I walked out of the Apple store (which is a attached to a shopping mall) to be confronted with big poster on a pillar like the one I posted here. It asked me "Who is Kyle XY?" and I couldn't answer. I just assumed it was a series that was well in progress and I missed it all. But that evening I accidently stubbled upon it's listing on my TiVo and decided to give it a try as it was only the second episode, I hadn't missed much of it.

After seeing it, I have to admit that I didn't think I was going to stay for the entire series... but it was the mystery of the origin of the title character that kept me watching. Similar to the classic Doctor of Doctor Who, the whole mystery of the person and his origin I found interesting... otherwise it was basically Starman meets 7th Heaven (or similar show, not having ever seen 7th Heaven, just my guess of what is is like), but I wanted to learn who was Kyle XY and where he came from.

So if it wasn't for that trip to the Apple store in early July, and then accidently stumbling on it's listing that evening, I would be none the wiser as you were to the series.

Cheers,
    Louis

Thursday, January 04 2007 @ 11:26 PM EST
    If I recall correctly, didn't Max have no belly button in "Dark Angel" because she was grown in a vat? Or am I confusing that with another show?

Oh, I know what I was remembering: Space Above and Beyond. Clones had these pseudo belly-buttons on the backs of their necks, rather than on their stomachs because they were vat-grown.

Sean.

One solid hope is worth a cartload of uncertainties.

Monday, January 08 2007 @ 07:49 PM EST
    Just confirming seanhuxter's post:

According to the BBC site, the sonic lipstick and alien detector were indeed left inside K-9 by the Doctor.

I agree on the alien tech. It stands to reason that the aliens she is detecting just might have some of their tech along with them. Since we know that alien activity is increasing due to the rift in Cardiff, it seems possible she could amass a collection that size in such a short time.

I'm disappointed with K-9's current situation as well, but I would point out that he can just as easily be written back in to the series. This might happen once the new characters are suitably established.

Regarding the Slurm similarities, thankfully it's The Sarah Jane Adventures and not The Leela Adventures... that would be too close.

PS This is my first post here, so a "Greetings Mistress!", seems in order. Big Grin

Profile    PM    Email   

Monday, January 08 2007 @ 07:56 PM EST
    [Quote  by:  2150AD]
    PS This is my first post here, so a "Greetings Mistress!", seems in order. Big Grin

Welcome to the forum Smile

Cheers, daveac

daveac on blip.tv, TalkShoe, iTunes, LiveVideo, uStream, GE, Sci-Fi, DWO, DS & WTA, Dave C on WLP, cooperda on AVF, dac100 on YouTube & PB, dac on Tiscali

Monday, January 08 2007 @ 08:14 PM EST
    [Quote  by:  2150AD]
    According to the BBC site, the sonic lipstick and alien detector were indeed left inside K-9 by the Doctor.

You know, I'm really starting to get seriously pissed off at the BBC. I completely understand them wanting to limit videos and such to UK residents only, but why the hell are they blocking the entire SJA website? The Torchwood site was bad, but at least there were some pictures and some 360 panorama views of the lab. I would have liked maybe an episode guide at the very least but there was something. There is absolutely nothing available at the SJA site. That seems completely asinine to me. Wouldn't you want to have something there for non-UK people to see to get them interested so they can contact their local broadcasters and demand they pick up the program or something?

I'm going "Full Circle" and putting my avatar back to what it was when I first joined. :)
      Profile    PM    Email   

Tuesday, January 09 2007 @ 11:53 AM EST

Since SJA is geared towards children, this opens up a whole kettle of fish that has to deal with liabilities with kids accessing web sites in areas from beyond their jurisdiction. It is easier (and cheaper) to avoid these issues by just blocking access.

It is also possible that the contracts with the actors had been for just UK broadcast/release to save money, and did not include world wide rights, which would probably have added to the up front costs.

Taras

Daleks don't accept apologies! YOU WILL BE EXTERMINATED!

Topic Legend:
    Normal Topic Normal Topic
    Locked Topic Locked Topic
    Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
    New Post New Post
    Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
    Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
    Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic
    You may not post messages
    Full HTML is allowed
    Words are censored