The Gallifreyan Embassy
Home of the Doctor Who podcast DOCTOR WHO: PODSHOCK
Advertising | Donate | Feedback | New Website | Podshock | Shop | Forum | Media Gallery | Web Resources | Polls
 Gallifreyan Embassy 3.0  
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 312 - 'The Caretaker' Reviewed
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: The Caretaker? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'The Caretaker' Scheduled for Sunday, Sept 28th
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 311 - 'Time Heist' Reviewed
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Time Heist' Scheduled for Sunday, Sept 21st
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Time Heist? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 310 - 'Listen' Reviewed
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Listen? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Listen' Scheduled for Sunday, Sept 14th
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 309 - 'Robot of Sherwood' Reviewed

•  Topics  
    Home
    Doctor Who News (188/0)
    DW: Podshock (201/0)
    DW Reviews (33/0)
    Torchwood (15/0)
    Sarah Jane Adven... (13/0)
    General News (29/0)
    Embassy News (19/0)
    Editorials (5/0)
    Alien Tech (2/0)

Extra! Extra!  

Become a Podshock Supporting Subscriber

Randomizer  
    Daphne Ashbrook
    Daphne Ashbrook
    Browse Album

User Functions  
    :

:

Lost your password?

Support Podshock  

This site and our podcast are free to use and listen to respectively. Though there are costs involved in maintaining and producing both. If you like, please make a donation to help offset these costs and to help ensure that we can continue to bring you both. Thank you so much.

You can make a one time donation of any amount you like using the above "Donate" button. If you rather make an annual recurring donation of $25 (that is less than 50 cents a week), use the "Subscribe" button below.

Save big on toys & collectibles at Entertainment Earth! CLICK HERE for Doctor Who, Star Wars, Buffy, Ozzy, Spider-Man, & more!

Events  
    There are no upcoming events

Audible UK  

Dr Who Audio Downloads from audible.co.uk

DWNY  
    DWNY

Ads by Google  

Older Stories  
    Wednesday 06-May
  • In Russell/Moffat We Trust Shirts and More (1)

• Tuesday 05-May
  • Join Us for Our Second Second Life Meet Up (3)

• Friday 01-May
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 147 (0)

• Wednesday 29-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 27th of April 2009 (0)

• Saturday 25-Apr
  • Who Party 14 Toronto Doctor Who Convention (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 146 (1)

• Thursday 23-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver and Hoo on Who for the Week of the 20 April 2009 (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 145 (4)

• Wednesday 15-Apr
  • Three New Producers Announced (0)

• Saturday 11-Apr
  • Planet Of The Dead Canadian air date confirmed (0)

• Tuesday 07-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Recognized as Best Podcast (1)
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 5th of April 2009 (0)

• Wednesday 01-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 144 (5)

• Friday 20-Mar
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 143 (3)
  • Hitchhiker's Guide to British Sci-Fi - Episode 3 (1)

•  Notice  

Doctor Who and the TARDIS are owned and trademarked by the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC). The Gallifreyan Embassy and the Doctor Who: Podshock podcast are not connected to the BBC in any way. No infringement is intended.

Home »  Other Science Fiction/Fantasy »  Battlestar Galactica
    Prev Topic Next Next Topic Printable Version
    Battlestar Galactica Views: 3810
     Monday, March 26 2007 @ 12:41 PM EDT
    Some BSG news:

Last week an announcement was made that a BSG movie will appear on the network and then be sold on DVD in late 2007. I believe this story will tell how the Battlestar Pegasus escaped from Caprica.

Next in 2008 I believe there will be 22 episodes of BSG instead of 13. It appears that Universal is backing the show and have asked for more episodes.

I won't go into detail as to the finale last night, but I was impressed. As with any series, the ending left more questions than it answered, but it definitely has me wanting more.

What I like about BSG is that there are story arcs that take places over seasons and the writing is typically strong. I had hoped that Torchwood would take this approaching, but alas, the creative team didn't.

Although there's not BSG until possibly late this year, I'm definitely looking forward to 2008 (although it's a heck of a long way away)--still that gives me time to watch Doctor Who and do other stuff!

Profile    PM    Email    Website 

Monday, March 26 2007 @ 06:28 PM EDT

Without giving too much away... does this mean that Bob Dylan is somewhat less than human?

☛ Follow me on Twitter at http://twitter.com/LouisTrapani ♥ ♥

Monday, April 09 2007 @ 10:52 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  DarthSkeptical] Anyone see the season finale tonight? Of the season finale's this one's the most thought-provoking. A part of me thinks they've maybe jumped the shark here (or at least could've used a 90 minute finale like last year). A part of me is still trying to pick my jaw up off the floor. But all of me thinks that the ambiguous "returns in 2008" is an awfully, awfully long time to wait. Ya think it's that far away because of all this Caprica business? Or because they want to generate a lot of anticipation and thereby try to shore up the show's flagging ratings? Even if it debuts in January 2008, that'll still be the longest season hiatus to date, won't it?

I finally got around to watching the finale, and now I'm able to go back and read these posts. I remember watching the season 2 finale and thinking, "what are they doing??" But they pulled it off, big time. I was blown away by this finale, too, and I'm giving Ronald D. Moore the benefit of the doubt. Louis, Ken, and James like to say "In RTD we trust." Over three seasons of Galactica, I've learned that, "In RDM I trust, too."

/-edit-/

Oh, and I nearly forgot...I thought Mark Sheppard (who had the semi-recurring role as Badger on Firefly) was awesome as Romo Lampkin. I hope his character makes another appearance or two in season four.

I'm going "Full Circle" and putting my avatar back to what it was when I first joined. :)
      Profile    PM    Email   

Monday, April 09 2007 @ 10:55 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Louis]

Without giving too much away... does this mean that Bob Dylan is somewhat less than human?

That was Dylan? I guessed Jimmi Hendrix. Was that just a cover I was thinking of?

I'm going "Full Circle" and putting my avatar back to what it was when I first joined. :)
      Profile    PM    Email   

Tuesday, April 10 2007 @ 03:13 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Linquel]
    [Quote  by:  Louis]

That was Dylan? I guessed Jimmi Hendrix. Was that just a cover I was thinking of?

Yeah, the Hendrix song is a cover of the Bob Dylan song.

Cheers,
    Louis

☛ Follow me on Twitter at http://twitter.com/LouisTrapani ♥ ♥

Friday, April 03 2009 @ 07:59 AM EDT
    Did anyone else watch the end of BSG? Did you like it? I liked it about 90% I really was hoping there would be some kind of explanation for certain things, like Starbuck's return. But all-in-all I thought it was a great show, start to finish.

Profile    PM    Email   

Friday, April 03 2009 @ 09:08 AM EDT
    I was mostly happy with it.

- The Galactica's assault on the Cylon colony was outstanding.
    - The Six and Baltar Angel/God inference was a fitting twist.
    - It would've been nice to learn more about the missing "Daniel" cylon. Kind of frustrating how they can drop that bombshell on us and just brush it aside...maybe we'll learn more in the upcoming Caprica series...
    - The thing I didn't really like was the happy-go-lucky feel of the whole episode. One of the themes of the whole series was loss: loss of home planet, lifestyles, freedom, etc. The humans were contantly getting their butts kicked by the cylons, and yet in this episode it was mostly the humans doing the kicking. I'm not saying I wanted everyone to die, but I think for dramatic effect it would've been better to see 1 or 2 main characters meet a tragic end. Roslin's death was no shock, since it had been expected for weeks. Starbuck was already "dead", Anders was mostly dead, and nobody liked Tory anyway. I thought at the very least that either Lee or Baltar would be offed...

But all in all, a decent finale.

Profile    PM    Email   

Friday, April 03 2009 @ 09:13 AM EDT
    I enjoyed the finale, but I couldn't stop thinking that I was watching the ending to The HitchHiker's Guide to the Galaxy. I was waiting for Lee to go teach Scrabble to the other people on 'Earth.'

Profile    PM    Email   

Friday, April 03 2009 @ 12:09 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  sgb1975]
    - The Galactica's assault on the Cylon colony was outstanding.
    Agreed, although there were some dodgy CGI moments with the "classic" Cylons. I don't think they ever quite figured out how to appropriately light something that was ultra-bright chrome in low-light, grungy environments. The one Baltar kills, and therefore gets a closeup, looked particularly unreal.
    - It would've been nice to learn more about the missing "Daniel" cylon. Kind of frustrating how they can drop that bombshell on us and just brush it aside...maybe we'll learn more in the upcoming Caprica series...
    See, I think that, too. But I'm perhaps less frustrated than you are. I think it might turn into something rather brilliant. Especially since the [i]Caprica[/i] trailers suggest that the main character who creates the first human Cylon is, in fact, named Daniel. I'm currently looking on the Daniel thing as spoiler, not dangling plot thread. It's likely to take us years to know whether Daniel really means anything, or if, like Kara's child, it's a sort of deadend.
    - The thing I didn't really like was the happy-go-lucky feel of the whole episode. One of the themes of the whole series was loss: loss of home planet, lifestyles, freedom, etc. The humans were contantly getting their butts kicked by the cylons, and yet in this episode it was mostly the humans doing the kicking. I'm not saying I wanted everyone to die, but I think for dramatic effect it would've been better to see 1 or 2 main characters meet a tragic end. Roslin's death was no shock, since it had been expected for weeks. Starbuck was already "dead", Anders was mostly dead, and nobody liked Tory anyway. I thought at the very least that either Lee or Baltar would be offed...
    Well, of course by the end, the "rag tag fleet" wasn't strictly human any more. It was an increasingly integrated human-cylon fleet. The whole point of the series now appears to be that humans and cylons working together are stronger than either working separately. So, I tend to think that the combined Human-Cylon assault group needed to be shown to have some success or the whole fabric of the show would come undone. That said, the casualties were rather high, even if they didn't necessarily come to haunt our regulars much beyond Boomer. Moreover, there's no doubt that the human-cylon force would've been totally wiped out had Baltar's argument not carried the day, and had Racetrack's corpse not blown the colony into a black hole.

On the whole, I'm currently regarding it as one of the most successful conclusions to any series. What surprised me was how it did try to uphold one of the basic tenets of the original show. Now some have quibbled that perhaps they landed too far into Earth's past, and maybe that's true from a strict reading of anthropological/evolutionary standpoint. But as a fairy tale, and all stories are really fairy tales at their core, I was shocked that this story worked as a conclusion not just to this version of BSG, but to Larson's as well. The cyclical nature of life—"this has all happened before and it will agian"—was a key theme of the original BSG. To my mind, it's the only thing that lifted BSG above its contemporaries like Buck Rogers. More to the point, it was the thin sliver of philosophy that saved BSG from a LucasFilm lawsuit for infringement of the Star Wars concepts.

Yet, Galactica 1980, aside from having simply awful dialogue and weekly plots, threw away the entirety of the BSG mythology at the whim of NBC execs. RDM's finale is thus the ending that the original never got, but for which it was basically aiming.

We can, and should, argue details. Did Leobin/Kara get enough of a resolution? What the hell was Kara? Does it make sense that the Colonials/Rebel Cylons could get a unanimous decision to abandon all their technology? Would the Adamas really have walked away from each other?

These are all interesting questions. Even in death, the show keeps us guessing.

But when you step back and look at the whole thing, you realize that although the individual parts may be at wide variance with what you as an individual viewer might have wanted, or the ways in which Richard Hatch and his band of "resumptionists" might have wanted to redeliver the BSG brand, the ending gives us something that not only satisfactorily resolves the RDM version of the show, but it also gives additional credence to the GAL original. The last hour, in particular, is basically what Larson saw as the end of his show, too. One wonders if he had been able to make it to Earth's past, instead of 1980's North America, whether there would have been a need to "re-imagine" the series at all.

"I think of myself as ambitious in casting terms, and I know that Bonnie [Langford] has the potential to make the part totally unirritating . . ." — JNT, 1986

Saturday, April 04 2009 @ 12:15 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  DarthSkeptical]
    See, I think that, too. But I'm perhaps less frustrated than you are. I think it might turn into something rather brilliant. Especially since the Caprica trailers suggest that the main character who creates the first human Cylon is, in fact, named Daniel. I'm currently looking on the Daniel thing as spoiler, not dangling plot thread. It's likely to take us years to know whether Daniel really means anything, or if, like Kara's child, it's a sort of deadend.

Great post, DS. I don't know if either of you (DS or SGB ) listened to any of the RDM podcasts near the end of the show, but in the second to last podcast he actually goes out of his way to say that Daniel would not be factoring into the finale at all. He didn't anticipate how many people would jump on the Daniel business and didn't want that many people to be disappointed when the finale aired. Of course, I didn't listen to the podcast until watching the complete ending. I also was expecting Starbuck and/or Baltar to somehow be "related" to the Daniel model whose genetic line was corrupted. Smile

---

Edited to add that what RDM said about Daniel in the podcast in no way negates DS's theory about Daniel somehow factoring into the Caprica mythology. I totally missed that and I think it would be just like RDM to do something exactly like what you're suggesting.

---

Edited again to add just one more thing, I swear. I thought this was hysterical. I love The Onion.

Obama Depressed, Distant Since 'Battlestar Galactica' Series Finale

Mr. Green

Profile    PM    Email   

Saturday, April 04 2009 @ 06:30 PM EDT
    Browsing. I best stay out of this posting

Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, April 05 2009 @ 01:55 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Chase] Browsing. I best stay out of this posting

Hear, Hear!

I have nothing to add to your sentiments. Anything I could say could be inflamitory.

"Make your last move, Doctor. Make your LAST move." The Celestial Toymaker to the Doctor in "The Celestial Toymaker: The Final Test"
      Profile    PM    Email   

Topic Legend:
    Normal Topic Normal Topic
    Locked Topic Locked Topic
    Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
    New Post New Post
    Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
    Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
    Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic
    You may not post messages
    Full HTML is allowed
    Words are censored