The Gallifreyan Embassy
Home of the Doctor Who podcast DOCTOR WHO: PODSHOCK
Advertising | Donate | Feedback | New Website | Podshock | Shop | Forum | Media Gallery | Web Resources | Polls
 Gallifreyan Embassy 3.0  
  • Yet Another Promo for the 2014 Doctor Who Christmas Special - Last Christmas
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 319 - The 2014 Series of Doctor Who Reviewed
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing the 2014 Series Scheduled for Sunday, Nov 30
  • Peter Capaldi Being Interviewed by Craig Ferguson in 2009 [VIDEO]
  • Doctor Who Christmas Special 2014 Preview from BBC Children in Need
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 318 - 'Death in Heaven' Reviewed
  • Doctor Who Christmas Special 2014 Promo "Trailer" Video
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Death in Heaven? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Death in Heaven' Scheduled for Sunday, Nov 09
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 317 - 'Dark Water' Reviewed

•  Topics  
    Home
    Doctor Who News (188/0)
    DW: Podshock (201/0)
    DW Reviews (33/0)
    Torchwood (15/0)
    Sarah Jane Adven... (13/0)
    General News (29/0)
    Embassy News (19/0)
    Editorials (5/0)
    Alien Tech (2/0)

Extra! Extra!  

Become a Podshock Supporting Subscriber

Randomizer  
    2005 Series DVD Box Set (R1) Uncovered
    2005 Series DVD Box Set (R1) Uncovered
    Browse Album

User Functions  
    :

:

Lost your password?

Support Podshock  

This site and our podcast are free to use and listen to respectively. Though there are costs involved in maintaining and producing both. If you like, please make a donation to help offset these costs and to help ensure that we can continue to bring you both. Thank you so much.

You can make a one time donation of any amount you like using the above "Donate" button. If you rather make an annual recurring donation of $25 (that is less than 50 cents a week), use the "Subscribe" button below.

Save big on toys & collectibles at Entertainment Earth! CLICK HERE for Doctor Who, Star Wars, Buffy, Ozzy, Spider-Man, & more!

Events  
    There are no upcoming events

Audible UK  

Dr Who Audio Downloads from audible.co.uk

DWNY  
    DWNY

Ads by Google  

Older Stories  
    Wednesday 06-May
  • In Russell/Moffat We Trust Shirts and More (1)

• Tuesday 05-May
  • Join Us for Our Second Second Life Meet Up (3)

• Friday 01-May
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 147 (0)

• Wednesday 29-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 27th of April 2009 (0)

• Saturday 25-Apr
  • Who Party 14 Toronto Doctor Who Convention (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 146 (1)

• Thursday 23-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver and Hoo on Who for the Week of the 20 April 2009 (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 145 (4)

• Wednesday 15-Apr
  • Three New Producers Announced (0)

• Saturday 11-Apr
  • Planet Of The Dead Canadian air date confirmed (0)

• Tuesday 07-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Recognized as Best Podcast (1)
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 5th of April 2009 (0)

• Wednesday 01-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 144 (5)

• Friday 20-Mar
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 143 (3)
  • Hitchhiker's Guide to British Sci-Fi - Episode 3 (1)

•  Notice  

Doctor Who and the TARDIS are owned and trademarked by the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC). The Gallifreyan Embassy and the Doctor Who: Podshock podcast are not connected to the BBC in any way. No infringement is intended.

Home »  Torchwood - Series 1 »  Torchwood Foundations
    Prev Topic Next Next Topic Printable Version
    Torchwood Foundations Views: 898
     Friday, December 08 2006 @ 06:13 AM EST
    As Torchwood is now well over half-way through its run, isn't it about time they started concentrating on the main foundations of the series.

For example:

1. We've been told that this 'hub' was set up in Cardiff due to the location of the rift - so why have none of the plotlines had anything but passing comments on it? We've had references to technology that came through the rift, but the fairies, canibals, meteor/sex beast, etc. have had no link to it at all.

2. "The 21st century is when it all begins..." is the main quote at the beginning of each episode - is this also going to be left til the end of the series? Seems a bit odd to have it mentioned in the credits of every episode and not build up the tension week-on-week.

3. The Weavils... The resident alien, which has made all of two flighting appearances but had nothing to do with any episode plot.

It seems a bit obvious that they're going to put these three eliments together for the series finale, but if that is the case, why haven't they been included/built upon, throughout the series run?

In my opinion successful series have all have a running plot, from Buffy to Babylon 5, having that teaser of something big and nasty waiting in the wings keeps you watching to see what will happen in the end.

Season one of Buffy had a very similar layout to Torchwood in that each episode built on the character of one of the main cast, however there was always something hinted at manipulating the events of that story.

It's that link that makes the series work, it creates a universe of its own and gives reason to why things happend every week.

Before this becomes a full-blown essay, I'll conclude that (again) in my opinion, the writers of this series should have sat down and discussed what the Torchwood organisation is (i.e. it's 'Top Secret' however, everyone in Cardiff seems to have heard of them, plus, covert operatives probably don't drive around in a pimped SUV with their insignia etched on the side) and most importantly how they could have developed some form of running plotline in keeping with the three points raised above.

So (if you've managed to read this far), do you agree/disagree with this? Big Grin

Profile    PM    Email   

Friday, December 08 2006 @ 07:52 AM EST
    Why limit yourself?

You set up a premise for a show, that doesn't mean the show must be limited to expounding on the premise.

We have a rift. It's been mentioned. It explains why so many weird things are falling through and ending up in Torchwood hands. That doesn't mean every episode has to focus on it.

Same with the Weevils. They exist. They have one as a prisoner. That's how where we came in. That doesn't mean every episode has to be about the Weevil. Nor for that matter does ANY episode have to be about the Weevil. It already featured in the first show, it introduced Gwen to the alienness that she's unaware is going on around her.

You establish an environment in which to tell your stories, you don't have to restrict yourself to that environment, and you don't have to focus too heavily on that environment.

X-Files wasn't always about Mulder's sister's abduction. Doctor Who isn't always about Gallifrey or the Daleks.

With that said, I'd be very surprised if we didn't start getting some back-story soon, if the show continues. We'll probably see a flash-back episode to the Weevils, and something will happen to the Rift, forcing them to focus on it.

Torchwood's mission, as set out by Queen Victoria, is to investigate the unnatural, it wasn't set up to police the rift. Investigating fairies and cannibals would definitely fit on their tour of duty.

As for "The 21st Century is where it all begins." I don't get your complaint. It's all around, it's not left to the end of the series. It really all began when the Sycorax detected the Doctor's energy and proved for the first time to all mankind that they were not alone. And with the rift, and all of the alien encroachment, the 21st century (a long time by the way) IS where it began. What more are you waiting for?

I will agree with you that the name and reputation of Torchwood is being bandied about way too freely as it is supposed to be a top-secret organization. The police should know one thing about them: If Torchwood is involved, fall back and let them do their jobs.

Ridiculing them over the phone? Sure wouldn't happen in any episode I wrote... (not that anyone's asked me to write one... yet.)

Hmmmm... I wonder if any of my GI Joes look like Gwen, Ianto, Jack and Tosh...

Sean.

One solid hope is worth a cartload of uncertainties.
      Profile    PM    Email    Website 

Friday, December 08 2006 @ 11:14 AM EST
    See, I agree that you shouldn't limit yourself to one aspect, e.g. the rift - if nothing else doing that would become tedious and make you wonder why no-one else in Cardiff has noticed the strange things going on there. However, delving into it now and again to deepen the mystery surrounding it wouldn't be a bad thing.

A lot of successful serials used this to create more three dimensional characters and stories, the X Files and Mulders sister, Babylon 5 and the Shadows, Buffy and the Hell Mouth brigade, etc. Even 'Life on Mars' had recurring images which deepened each story, creating something more than just a stand-alone story.

I think if, as has been mentioned on other posts, Torchwood had been created with a teenage audience in mind rather than an 'adult' one it would be more successful (for me).

I could then dismiss all my complaints as just fluff. However, my expectation were that an 'adult' serial would be dark, disturbing and thought provoking and not just Doctor Who scripts and production with an extra helping of sex and violence...

Still, I did enjoy the last episode so things are looking up, plus if you look back at the first few episodes of any new series (bar Life on Mars/Twin Peaks) they all take time to find there feet.

With all that said, maybe what is needed is a little more patience - then the series can be judged as a whole, not as a sum of its parts...

Profile    PM    Email   

Friday, December 08 2006 @ 12:17 PM EST
    It may be just me, but I feel it is time to visit the only other operational (known) base of Torchwood.
    Somehow I don't think the hormones are in quite the smae state in the Scotish branch. This is from
    a post I put on the Doctor Who Online Forums, Seems to fit here. Big Grin

TW1-Britan (Being reconstructed?)
    TW2-Scottland ("Very Strange Man")
    TW3-Wales (Hormonal 30 somethings)
    TW4-Northern Ireland? (Missing- Presumed Prodestant)

I'm a Time Traveler, I point and laugh at archaeologist.
      Profile    PM    Email    Website 

Topic Legend:
    Normal Topic Normal Topic
    Locked Topic Locked Topic
    Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
    New Post New Post
    Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
    Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
    Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic
    You may not post messages
    Full HTML is allowed
    Words are censored