• [SPOILERS!] Epi 5 'Day Five'   5 years 16 weeks ago

Despite what "Spiked" says about UK science fiction, the Brits can do it and often do it right.

The problem we have over here is that we don't seem to apperictae our own television.  We are unendated with Reality and US shows, which is fine but most of it costs our 'networks' lots of money, so investment on homegrown shows suffer and the shows that are imported are only on a par with most of our own stuff anyway.  I mean Channel 4 famously paid £100m to show 3 years worth of Friends and ER, need I say more!  Any decent homemade drama is labelled 'crap' by most people because it hasn't got a massive hype, budget and American accents!  Sounds strange but it's what i'm told!

• [SPOILERS!] Epi 5 'Day Five'   5 years 16 weeks ago

Essentially he was a coward. Dispate what his long-time work companion says, he was no hero. I thought he was taking the gun to PROTECT his family. Go down fighting!... but unfortunately he was a worm.

Too bad his wife couldn't stuggle to get the gun (perhaps do him in during the process) and save her children.

Good points and I thought that the directing on that scene was wonderful (is it right it use that word?), the way he somberly went into the room, and all we could see was his back and his family in front of him, until he shut the door and their lives were over.  The scene could have told you many things about the man and that's the whole point.  Superb stuff!

Just goes to show how good the previous two series' of Torchwoood could have been!

And on the subject of the unexpected ending - I think it makes a refreshing change.  Too many shows have 'happy endings', when we all know that life isn't like that.  take out the aliens and you could identify many things in everyday life with this series.

If CoE goes down half as well in the US as it's done in the UK, then we're on to a winner!  I'm just hoping that the people in charge don't 'jump ship', this series has proven that the British can do fantasic sci-fi drama and with more investment, we could be on the verge of another golden age of British sci-fi!

• 'Wet' Your Appetite for The Waters of Mars   5 years 16 weeks ago

Thanks Troy. I should had linked the article to your posting in the forum. My apologies.

• [SPOILERS!] Epi 5 'Day Five'   5 years 16 weeks ago

Maybe I'm just soft, but I like my endings when they get the girl, kill the baddies and save the entire planet. That clearly wasnt the case here.

If this was an American mini-series, that is exactly what we most likely would had gotten. An ending where everyone wins and there are no losses or consequence.

Look at what studios did with Blade Runner after previewing it to test audiences, they forced Ridley Scott (a Brit, by the way) to come back and re-do the ending to make it end on a happier note for the original theatrical release. Not all endings end with the heroes getting gold medals (except the Wookiee) in a grand ceremony, sometimes they end with the hero getting his hand cut off and another frozen and sent to Jabba the Hutt.

• [SPOILERS!] Epi 5 'Day Five'   5 years 16 weeks ago

Also why couldn't Frobisher just take his family and drive away somewhere

• Warehouse 13   5 years 16 weeks ago

I was avoiding it because I'm tired of the BONES/X FILES thing. Still, I bet it was good because FRINGE is pretty good despite it being this decades' X FILES. Yet I dn't know, I wish some of these shows would find a new angle or something.

• [SPOILERS!] Epi 5 'Day Five'   5 years 16 weeks ago

I'm still shocked, I still can't believe what Jack did.  Also why couldn't Frobisher just take his family and drive away somewhere>  Just goes to show that unhappy endings are sometimes the best.

Wonderful piece of Sci-fi, just hope we get to see more.

• [SPOILERS!] Epi 5 'Day Five'   5 years 16 weeks ago

It was bloody wonderful!

• London Film and Comic Comic Con - 18/19 July - Lot's of Doctor Who Guests!   5 years 16 weeks ago

P.S I'll try my best to knock some feedback together Louis!

Fantastic! No pressure, but we will be waiting for what you have to say with baited breath (we should see a Doctor about that... a Doctor! (sorry))... but no pressure of course! Wink

- Ian 16             - Zoe 14            - Romana I 9          - Barbara 11
    - Vicki 5 (+1)     - The Brigadier 22
    - Stephen 4
    - Jo Grant 20       - Tegan 3
             - Victoria 8
    - Polly 1
    - Sarah Jane 19
    - Ben 4 (-2)      Harry 18                - Jamie 21
    Leela 18

__________________________________________________________________________

18. Liz                   19. Nyssa               20. Captain Jack     21. K9
    22. Rose                23. Peri                  24. Ace                 25. Martha
    26. Turlough           27. Romana II
    28. Mickey            29: Adric
    31: Grace               32: Dodo              33: Mel

I didnt know about this!

I'll have to check it out..............

• The Best Series Ever Made   5 years 16 weeks ago

Chase - I started to read through the list, and it just kept going and going and going and going!!

Surprised

• [SPOILERS!] Epi 5 'Day Five'   5 years 16 weeks ago

I need to watch it again.

It certainly didnt shy away from the tough stuff!!!

I'm not saying I didnt like it..............

• Forum rich text edit bug?   5 years 16 weeks ago

Was it an original post (i.e. a new post starting a thread like the one just created with your message above) or was a it comment to existing post?

- Ian 16             - Zoe 14            - Romana I 9          - Barbara 11
    - Vicki 4           - The Brigadier 22    - Stephen 4 (+1)
    - Jo Grant 20       - Tegan 3
             - Victoria 8
    - Polly 1 (-2)
    - Sarah Jane 19
    - Ben 6            Harry 18                - Jamie 21
    Leela 18

__________________________________________________________________________

18. Liz                   19. Nyssa               20. Captain Jack     21. K9
    26. Turlough           27. Romana II
    28. Mickey            29: Adric
    31: Grace               32: Dodo              33: Mel

- Ian 16             - Zoe 14            - Romana I 9          - Barbara 11
    - Vicki 4      - The Brigadier 22 (+1)   - Stephen 3 (-2)
    - Jo Grant 20       - Tegan 3
             - Victoria 8
    - Polly 3
    - Sarah Jane 19
    - Ben 6            Harry 18                - Jamie 21
    Leela 18

__________________________________________________________________________

18. Liz                   19. Nyssa               20. Captain Jack     21. K9
    26. Turlough           27. Romana II
    28. Mickey            29: Adric
    31: Grace               32: Dodo              33: Mel

I w(h)ine after a vblog alien abduction

• [SPOILERS!] Ep 4 'Day Four'   5 years 16 weeks ago

Was the series not co-written by RTD?

• From the Beginning: The First Doctor   5 years 16 weeks ago

A curious little story this with a lot to recommend it and a few parts that left me scratching my head in bewilderment.

I liked:

·         That the story didn’t ignore the departure of Susan and that the Doctor was shown to suffer some kind of emotional fallout

·         Vicki, for the most part, but I have yet to really see what makes her different from Susan: both young, both slightly out of phase with the twentieth century. Still Maureen O’Brien does a good turn.

·         The cliff-hangers – both of them were great and I love it when one story segues directly into the next.

·         I rather liked the Koquillion look and the theme to the appearance of the aliens on Dido or was the mask supposed to be a representation of the ‘sandy’ creature?

·         Bennett’s reason for doing what he did – it was believable and, therefore, helped the story to ring true.

Head scratching moments:

·         Why have a mystery story when there are only two suspects (one of whom you know will be joining the regular cast)

·         The Doctor knocks on Bennett’s door, hears Bennett tell him not to come in and responds by breaking the door down for no apparent reason. ??!!

·         Who were the two guys at the end – were they survivors from the planet? Where did they suddenly appear from? I thought at first that they were some kind of effect of the judgement room, that it brought out the guilt from those judged there – manifested the victims physically. But then I saw them ripping up the control panels at the end and realised I was wrong. Preferred my idea.

Still good to see a new companion – the first of many and nice to break the historical/scifi pattern by having two scifi stories in a row. 7 out of 10: Enjoyable but really not on a par with the previous story.

Now, I can finally go back and start reading Doctor Whoovie’s posts!

• Live from .........   5 years 16 weeks ago

Live from ................

Captain Jack's Body Bag

a lump of concrete

the 456 'guild pilots tank' on Dune in Thames House. (was there a tocliphane with a body in there too?)

• [SPOILERS!] Ep 4 'Day Four'   5 years 16 weeks ago

Because John Fay wrote it?

• Live from .........   5 years 16 weeks ago
    ...

… from the 456 tank in Thames House.

… from the smouldering ruins of the Torchwood Hub.

• [SPOILERS!] Ep 4 'Day Four'   5 years 16 weeks ago

Louis-

P.S. What became of the Weevils? Did they all perish in their holding cells when the Torchwood hub exploded? They are still some roaming the streets I suppose. Not that I am missing them by any means.

It would appear after the destruction of the Hub that all the weevels are being effectively contained in the 'Poll' Section of the Gallifreyan Embassy. Laughing

• Primeval being axed?   5 years 16 weeks ago

I think that the question mark in the Primeval has been cancelled headlines comes from the fact that ITV are not commissioning a new series, however since they don't own the show and it has been relatively successful, there is a chance another channel may pick it up. SKY? BBC?

I am watching it on America, so still have a few episodes of Season 3 to watch. I would say that it is successful in certain ways (e.g. my wife watches it religiously, and she HATES Doctor Who and Torchwood) in a similar manner that she loved Voyager but hated everything else Star Trek.

My comment would be for the third season, is that to many of the original cast have dissappeared to quickly (in unrelated incidents) and I am losing my vestment in the team. No Steven, No Nick, No Claudia/Jenny. The only thing that makes me tune in is some resolution about whatever Helen is up to. Unfortunately I think that this will be as illusive as the underlying alien conspiracy in the X-files.

• From the Beginning: The Second Doctor   5 years 16 weeks ago

I amonly two episodes into 'the highlanders' so far. Too much fantastic Torchwood to watch this week.
    I am enjoying it, reminds me a little of 'the romans' in terms of 'farce' and has the added bonus that Kirsty is  played by Hannah Gorden.
    As you say the Doctor is up to slap stick playing a German and a 'old lady' so far. The bit where he overcame Grey was good, but then so was the other farcical part where Polly and Kirsti overcome Ffinch when they lure him into falling in the pit (Though I'm a little confused how the girls suddenly managed to get out the pit after having been stuck there for quite some time). Jamie hasn't really stood out yet, but there's time enough left, I guess. Two episodes to go, probably catch them tonight or tomorrow.

How do you rate Doctor Who: In the Forest of the Night? (5=Fantastic)