• From the Beginning: The Second Doctor   4 years 41 weeks ago

I would say off the cuff that 2 and 3 and maybe 10 are instantly likable. But at the time in my age when I read about the First Doctor I thought he's be a funny old guy to travel with  in time and space and he was crafty enough to be interesting when seeing him against others. 7 might have been instantly likable if he weren't in two of the worst stories of all time TIME AND THE RANI and PARADISE TOWERS. I am also sort of partial to the 6th Doctor for that defining moment : when he started to strangle Peri! Thank you 6th Doctor!

• Doctor Who Movie   4 years 41 weeks ago

All these reports about a movie announcement at SDCC sprang out after we speculated about it in Doctor Who: Podshock. Hmm..

Included Doctor Whoovie's previous votes here:

- Ian 16             - Zoe 14                   - Romana I 9          - Barbara 11
    - Vicki 6                   - The Brigadier 21
    - Stephen 7        - Jo Grant 19             - Tegan 3               - Victoria 8
    - Polly 3 (-2)      - Sarah Jane 19         - Ben 8
    Harry 18
    - Jamie 21 (+1)        Leela 17

__________________________________________________________________________

18. Liz                   19. Nyssa               20. Captain Jack     21. K9
    22. Rose                23. Peri                  24. Ace                 25. Martha
    26. Turlough           27. Romana II
    28. Mickey            29: Adric
    31: Grace               32: Dodo              33: Mel

- Ian 15              - Zoe 14                   - Romana I 9(-2)          - Barbara 11
    - Vicki 6                     - The Brigadier 21
    - Stephen 7        - Jo Grant 19              - Tegan 3                - Victoria 8
    - Polly 5              - Sarah Jane 19         - Ben 10
    Harry 18(+1)
    - Jamie 20                 Leela 17

__________________________________________________________________________

18. Liz                   19. Nyssa               20. Captain Jack     21. K9
    26. Turlough           27. Romana II
    28. Mickey            29: Adric
    31: Grace               32: Dodo              33: Mel

• Possible twist at the end of CoE   4 years 41 weeks ago

Alex - my thoughts were that the 'hitch-hikers' were found in bodies that would turn out to be some the 12 children (now grow-up) that were handed over to the aliens in 1965

• [SPOILERS!] Epi 3 'Day Three'   4 years 41 weeks ago

Good episode again. Definitely keeping my interest. Wondering about the 456 a lot. They want the kids, eh? Kind of reminds me of that early Star Trek: TNG episode of that world that kidnapped the children off the Enterprise because they couldn't have their own anymore. I also have a feeling that Ianto is going to buy it soon.

• From the Beginning: The Second Doctor   4 years 41 weeks ago

I must agree with your opinion of the doctors so far, Doctor Whoovie. It also took me a while to warm up to the First Doctor, but I found the Second Doctor instantly likeable. So far that has only happened with Pat Troughton, Tom Baker and David Tennannt for me.

- Ian 15              - Zoe 14                   - Romana I 11          - Barbara 11 (-2)
    - Vicki 6                     - The Brigadier 21
    - Stephen 7        - Jo Grant 19 (+1)        - Tegan 3                - Victoria 8
    - Polly 5              - Sarah Jane 19         - Ben 10
    Harry 17
    - Jamie 20                 Leela 17

__________________________________________________________________________

18. Liz                   19. Nyssa               20. Captain Jack     21. K9
    26. Turlough           27. Romana II
    28. Mickey            29: Adric
    31: Grace               32: Dodo              33: Mel

• [SPOILERS!] Epi 3 'Day Three'   4 years 41 weeks ago

Still great and again loving all the character moments in it

What's up with the 456 through.... somebody give it a bucket.

THOSE DAMN BEANS!!! Ianto was being so forceful and brave too.

But I still can't shake this terrible terrible feeling that someone is going to die tomorrow ever since I read someone say that on LJ.

I've had a gut feeling even before this series started, that Ianto wasn't going to survive it. Especially with the whole "You'll watch me die" speech from Ianto to Jack in this, my fears are deepening. As much as I would be sad, I'd prefer if it was Gwen or Rhys or even Alice... just not Ianto, I love him too much :(

Expect one very very devestated fangirl with lots of capslock crying tomorrow if this proves to be true.

• [SPOILERS!] Epi 3 'Day Three'   4 years 41 weeks ago

Another good episode, although not as intense as the previous two, it is still an enjoyable fare.

• [SPOILERS!] Epi 3 'Day Three'   4 years 41 weeks ago

No, the one at the start of series 2, I just thought it was a bit daft that some old lady knew what Torchwood was, short scene I know but that and the blowfish didn't really put me in the best of moods, still i've forgot all about that!  I'm saying nothing about the one you mentioned.......

• [SPOILERS!] Epi 3 'Day Three'   4 years 41 weeks ago

I haven't seen this yet but by daft old lady do you mean the woman Jack was in love with in the past? I thought she was the most sympathetic character in all of TORCHWOOD, well, except for Rhys actually.

• [SPOILERS!] Epi 3 'Day Three'   4 years 41 weeks ago

As I tweeted eariler, I think we should do some digging and find out if this really is Torchwood that we're watching.  I personally thought the programme was on its last legs after it viewing figures dropped and the BBc cutting back on some of its programming. I couldn't have cared less if it get axed tbh.

Now I love it!  I've always said that Torchwood should get rid of all its annoying traits, because there's a decent program underneath.  And now we're 3 episodes in and I can't get enough of it!  I really do hope we can see more of these five-parters, I think showing them over 5 days has been a great sucess, I've been thinking about nothing all week but getting home and watching Torchwood.  I'll go and have a lie down now!

Oh and I think this is the best casted program i've seen for a while.  Even minor (so far anyway) characters of Ianto's sister and brother-in-law seem believable and sincere.  Much better than a spotty pizza boy or a daft old lady!

• From the Beginning: The Second Doctor   4 years 41 weeks ago

Yes for some reason, this story, slow in spots, is very good. I don't find the opening slow at all and I just love the Doctor's recovery from his "rejuvenation" NOT called regeneration at all yet. Polly and Ben are suitably confused for most of it, the Doctor not helping by talking about himself in third person, and losing his ring. And acting strange. He's a bit scary for a alittle while. I also like Patrick right from the start. His hat, his outfit, his attitude. When he looks into the mirror and sees Hartnell, what was that? A good touch, is what it is. I love the way this planet looks as the mist passses by and there are mercury pools and a murder and this Doctor steps into right away on the planet Vulcan.

I found the story slow with all the various subplots and factions among the colonists but this doesn't mean I didn't like it. They took time to build character and situation and explain it all. Nicely done too. I also like the dark seemingly dead Dalek ship...which harbored some kind of life after all. I like how the Doctor plays his flute and annoys Ben, talks of Marco Polo, having shed his skin like a butterfly, and other stuff he goes on about. He's most amusing. Ben, still thinks it is not the Doctor and I love how the Doctor tells Ben, "When I say run, run like a rabbit."  The Dalek ship is scary. The way they fool the colonists is scary too and beliveable.

I also like how the Daleks act like their friend and their loyal servants. It's most unsettling. It's also unsettling to the main scientist fall apart into madness..and then, I believe, he gets exterminated. But before that the female villain has depth and hides a body when an assistant is killed by "accident" by a Dalek "test". And how classic is it that the Dalek spots the Doctor through it's eye and moves at him, chanting that he is his loyal servant. I love how the Doctor warns everyone time and time again but they dont listen. "Up or down, I want the Daleks taken apart..."

And the stand off between the Doctor and someone who find out he is not the real Examiner from Earth.

And of course Polly's kidnapping (or was it Ben's? or maybe they both got kidnapped at different times?). Either way, all of it was pretty well done. And the final attack of the Daleks on...well, on everyone made them really very dangerous. I felt almost like Polly ("Oh, Doctor please, le'ts go back to the TARDIS and get away) and Annette (spelling?) does a great job of acting as Polly and of being both brave and scared. I love how Ben and Polly adjust to this new Doctor and interact with him.

All in all, a classic and great story to be honest. The ending with the Dalek moving  is strange and done for shock. Patrick is a great Doctor!

• SNAKEDANCE   4 years 41 weeks ago

A good ending slowed down a bit by the silly celebration. I like that the Doctor gets help from a meditating man, a what an illusion or a mental projection from the man from where he really was? Either way it doesn't matter as this ending is both different and unusual. The story is overall rather good but rather strange. I never thought I'd say this but it was probably on the same level or better than KINDA but of course KINDA had the advantage of having Adric in it. Davison does some very Doctor-ish things here but overall the ending is pretty good. Not sure what else to say except that Lon's outfit for the ceremony was outlandish and terrible. The snake stuff...well, the Mara really isn't a snake is it? It's bad snake effects for the most part but that doesn't bother me at all. I love the last scene with Tegan crying and the Doctor putting his arm around her...barely. Entertaining  and engaging story.

• [SPOILERS!] Epi 3 'Day Three'   4 years 41 weeks ago

How good is Torchwood turning out to be?

Totally enthralled.

However I do have a bone to pick with RTD... at the end of DW series 3 I wrote a Who script which I sent to him. No... I didn't think he would read it let-alone respond to it, but if you don't ask you don't get right. Anyway, I'm sure I see some of my set pieces in this TW adventure, mmmm get me my lawyer!

back to the real world... 456 = Macra!?!?!

WILX

• From the Beginning: The Second Doctor   4 years 41 weeks ago

Well this is the first reconstruction which I had that was such poor quality as to make unwatchable. Eventually, I downloaded the BBC Audio from i-tunes ($10.95). I listened to this whilst forwarding through the telesnap photonovel of the story on the BBC website. This was an agreeable way of taken in the story.

A pretty good story, although it was slow to start. It wasn't until relatively far on that I got the 'pun' in the title of the story.

After struggling with the character of the first Doctor for the last five months, and never really taking to him, I was relieved that I liked the Second Doctor almost immediately. Does he carry on wearing the tall hat for very long? It is kind of StooPiD Smile.

I pretty much agree with all that was said in the Podshock 155 review. It is not quite as good as the Tenth Planet, but is a good strong story with a classic villian.

I was amazed that they had managed to take the Dalek ship back to the laboratory when we saw the size of the 'production line' that was inside it.

I think I also spotted a young Marcus Scarman in there if I was not mistaken.

Overall an 8/10 and a good start to the new Doctor.

• [SPOILERS!] Epi 1 'Day One'   4 years 41 weeks ago

I watched Day One last night - managed to get BBC iPlayer working in US using some jiggery-pokery with my work's VPN connection!  I really should not make that a habit, boss might get mad....!

Anyway, Children of Earth Day One was, in my opinion, absolutely fantastic.  While it's great that fans can still see the connections to the Who universe, it's really not necessary for new viewers to know there is any connection, and I felt for the first time that Torchwood has matured into a great show in it's own right - not under the shadow of Doctor Who any more.  For S1 and to a lesser extent S2, I always had the nagging feeling that if Torchwood wasn't a Who spin-off, I probably wouldn't watch it.  After Day One, I don't feel that any more.

As to the actual episode itself, I thought it did a great job in portraying just how creepy the whole children stopping thing would actually be.  The government conspiracy thing is very intriguing - obviously the British government did something to REALLY tick-off this alien race, whomever they are, and I for one can't wait to find out what.  C'mon who doesn't love a good conspiracy!!

I really liked the humanising of Jack and Ianto by introducing family connections, in particular the situation with Jack's daughter and grandson was both interesting and heartbreaking at the same time.  I also liked that they are addressing Jack and Ianto's relationship in a realistic and mature manner.  I thought the relationship in S2 seemed more played for controversy, and not necessarily too believable, however here they are dealing with the personal consequences of it, and I really like and respect that.

Also, Gwen as action hero at the end!  Fantastic!!

- Ian 15              - Zoe 14                   - Romana I 11          - Barbara 13
    - Vicki 6                     - The Brigadier 21
    - Stephen 7        - Jo Grant 18              - Tegan 3                - Victoria 8
    - Polly 5 (-2)      - Sarah Jane 19 (+1)    - Ben 10
    Harry 17
    - Jamie 20                 Leela 17

__________________________________________________________________________

18. Liz                   19. Nyssa               20. Captain Jack     21. K9
    26. Turlough           27. Romana II
    28. Mickey            29: Adric
    31: Grace               32: Dodo              33: Mel

- Ian 16 (+1)      - Zoe 14                   - Romana I 11          - Barbara 13
    - Vicki 6                     - The Brigadier 21     - Stephen 7
    - Jo Grant 18
           - Tegan 3
                      - Victoria 8
    - Polly 7
    - Sarah Jane 18
    - Ben 8 (-2)               Harry 17                - Jamie 20
    Leela 17

__________________________________________________________________________

18. Liz                    19. Nyssa              20. Captain Jack     21. K9
    22. Rose                 23. Peri                 24. Ace                 25. Martha
    26. Turlough           27. Romana II
    28. Mickey            29: Adric
    31: Grace               32: Dodo              33: Mel

• [SPOILERS!] Epi 2 'Day Two'   4 years 41 weeks ago

So far, I am enjoying Children of Earth. It's gotten off to a fairly strong start, which I hope holds for the remaining episodes. I really felt sorry for Jack for what he's been put through so far. I half expected him to recover the way he did though. Good for Ianto, being the hero this time around. Absolutely loved Gwen and Rhys working together, especially Rhys stepping up to the plate and partnering Gwen so well. Once I'd heard that Eve Myles was pregnant, I knew that it would show up in Torchwood, so not very surprised by that plot point.

- Vicki 6                     - The Brigadier 21
    - Polly 7             - Sarah Jane 18          - Ben 10
    Harry 17
    - Jamie 20                 Leela 17 (+1)

__________________________________________________________________________

18. Liz 0 (-2)          19. Nyssa              20. Captain Jack     21. K9
    26. Turlough           27. Romana II
    28. Mickey            29: Adric
    31: Grace               32: Dodo              33: Mel

• [SPOILERS!] Epi 2 'Day Two'   4 years 41 weeks ago
    UNJ

Unexpected naked Jack… is really not that unexpected.

• From the Beginning: The First Doctor   4 years 41 weeks ago

What an absolutely fabulous story.

I grew up with the latter years of Jon Pertwee and then Tom Baker, and the first I knew about any other Doctor – before I even got my copy of the Making of  on my seventh birthday was the Peter Cushing version of the Dalek Invasion on TV when I was about six. In glorious technicolour (we hadn’t long had a colour TV) and looking so much more polished than the TV show at the time, it blew me away. I loved it and for years whenever I thought of the First Doctor, it was Peter Cushing that I saw in my mind’s eye.  It took me another thirty years until I got around to seeing the original version. And I loved it as much.

If ever a story deserved to have a big screen version made of it then it was Dalek Invasion. With its huge panorama of events across invaded Britain (a scenario which can’t have seemed so remote to a World which was still only less than 20 years after the Second World War), its focus on the Resistance (if you’ll pardon the clumsy phrasing, I never could resist films or books about the French Resistance) and finally, the first change to the main cast with Susan leaving, it is a story for me with few faults.

Dislikes:

The Slither – but even this wasn’t so bad during a second viewing.

Likes:

The story really benefits from location filming and the scenes of Barbara, Jenny and Dortmun in a deserted London were suitably eerie and made me think of similar scenes from The Omega Man and 28 Days Later. At first, I wasn’t sure about the music used during these scenes – a vicious drum beat that drowns out any other sound, but later realised that this worked perfectly, adding to the dramatic tension and creating a further sense of emptiness within this once bustling metropolis.

The main cast were used well; dividing them into three and sometimes four different groups helped to maintain the dramatic flow and the pace. I particularly enjoyed Barbara’s relationship with Jenny (who was being considered as the new companion), overcoming the latter’s suspicious and spiky exterior).

The Doctor here demonstrating that sense of cold and deadly purpose that manifests itself strongly over the different incarnations throughout the years (particularly in the Tenth Doctor’s persona). There is a time at the beginning of the story when, kidnapped by the Daleks, he demonstrates a frailty but this is overcome quickly after his escape and he naturally resumes his role as leader, giving those who follow him a sense of direction, purpose and hope.

The Robomen, cold zombie-like, even the hats stop looking silly after a while and their deadly, unnatural nature and the way in which they move and speak in unison begins to unnerve.

Susan, or more particularly, the manner of her departure. Her growing relationship seems natural rather than forced or undeveloped (see Leela and Andred!) and the final scene is given the time it deserves on screen with her grandfather’s very touching speech to her (I just wish that we could have seen that return sometime over the years that followed). The TARDIS disappears in front of her eyes, leaving her standing with one foot bare, looking vulnerable and alone.

A truly great 10 out of 10!

• From the Beginning: The Second Doctor   4 years 41 weeks ago

Yes the loss of many stories that were planned made it necessary to make other stories that were longer so Troughton has a lot of six part stories, a few five part stories and one that is 8 eps and one that is ten eps.

How do you rate Doctor Who: The Mark of the Rani? (5=Fantastic)