• 'Wet' Your Appetite for The Waters of Mars   5 years 15 weeks ago

Thanks Troy. I should had linked the article to your posting in the forum. My apologies.

• [SPOILERS!] Epi 5 'Day Five'   5 years 15 weeks ago

Maybe I'm just soft, but I like my endings when they get the girl, kill the baddies and save the entire planet. That clearly wasnt the case here.

If this was an American mini-series, that is exactly what we most likely would had gotten. An ending where everyone wins and there are no losses or consequence.

Despite what "Spiked" says about UK science fiction, the Brits can do it and often do it right.

Look at what studios did with Blade Runner after previewing it to test audiences, they forced Ridley Scott (a Brit, by the way) to come back and re-do the ending to make it end on a happier note for the original theatrical release. Not all endings end with the heroes getting gold medals (except the Wookiee) in a grand ceremony, sometimes they end with the hero getting his hand cut off and another frozen and sent to Jabba the Hutt.

• [SPOILERS!] Epi 5 'Day Five'   5 years 15 weeks ago

Also why couldn't Frobisher just take his family and drive away somewhere

Essentially he was a coward. Dispate what his long-time work companion says, he was no hero. I thought he was taking the gun to PROTECT his family. Go down fighting!... but unfortunately he was a worm.

Too bad his wife couldn't stuggle to get the gun (perhaps do him in during the process) and save her children.

• Warehouse 13   5 years 15 weeks ago

I was avoiding it because I'm tired of the BONES/X FILES thing. Still, I bet it was good because FRINGE is pretty good despite it being this decades' X FILES. Yet I dn't know, I wish some of these shows would find a new angle or something.

• [SPOILERS!] Epi 5 'Day Five'   5 years 15 weeks ago

I'm still shocked, I still can't believe what Jack did.  Also why couldn't Frobisher just take his family and drive away somewhere>  Just goes to show that unhappy endings are sometimes the best.

Wonderful piece of Sci-fi, just hope we get to see more.

• [SPOILERS!] Epi 5 'Day Five'   5 years 15 weeks ago

It was bloody wonderful!

• London Film and Comic Comic Con - 18/19 July - Lot's of Doctor Who Guests!   5 years 15 weeks ago

P.S I'll try my best to knock some feedback together Louis!

Fantastic! No pressure, but we will be waiting for what you have to say with baited breath (we should see a Doctor about that... a Doctor! (sorry))... but no pressure of course! Wink

- Ian 16             - Zoe 14            - Romana I 9          - Barbara 11
    - Vicki 5 (+1)     - The Brigadier 22
    - Stephen 4
    - Jo Grant 20       - Tegan 3
             - Victoria 8
    - Polly 1
    - Sarah Jane 19
    - Ben 4 (-2)      Harry 18                - Jamie 21
    Leela 18

__________________________________________________________________________

18. Liz                   19. Nyssa               20. Captain Jack     21. K9
    22. Rose                23. Peri                  24. Ace                 25. Martha
    26. Turlough           27. Romana II
    28. Mickey            29: Adric
    31: Grace               32: Dodo              33: Mel

I didnt know about this!

I'll have to check it out..............

• The Best Series Ever Made   5 years 15 weeks ago

Chase - I started to read through the list, and it just kept going and going and going and going!!

Surprised

• [SPOILERS!] Epi 5 'Day Five'   5 years 15 weeks ago

I need to watch it again.

It certainly didnt shy away from the tough stuff!!!

I'm not saying I didnt like it..............

• Forum rich text edit bug?   5 years 15 weeks ago

Was it an original post (i.e. a new post starting a thread like the one just created with your message above) or was a it comment to existing post?

- Ian 16             - Zoe 14            - Romana I 9          - Barbara 11
    - Vicki 4           - The Brigadier 22    - Stephen 4 (+1)
    - Jo Grant 20       - Tegan 3
             - Victoria 8
    - Polly 1 (-2)
    - Sarah Jane 19
    - Ben 6            Harry 18                - Jamie 21
    Leela 18

__________________________________________________________________________

18. Liz                   19. Nyssa               20. Captain Jack     21. K9
    26. Turlough           27. Romana II
    28. Mickey            29: Adric
    31: Grace               32: Dodo              33: Mel

- Ian 16             - Zoe 14            - Romana I 9          - Barbara 11
    - Vicki 4      - The Brigadier 22 (+1)   - Stephen 3 (-2)
    - Jo Grant 20       - Tegan 3
             - Victoria 8
    - Polly 3
    - Sarah Jane 19
    - Ben 6            Harry 18                - Jamie 21
    Leela 18

__________________________________________________________________________

18. Liz                   19. Nyssa               20. Captain Jack     21. K9
    26. Turlough           27. Romana II
    28. Mickey            29: Adric
    31: Grace               32: Dodo              33: Mel

I w(h)ine after a vblog alien abduction

• [SPOILERS!] Ep 4 'Day Four'   5 years 15 weeks ago

Was the series not co-written by RTD?

• From the Beginning: The First Doctor   5 years 15 weeks ago

A curious little story this with a lot to recommend it and a few parts that left me scratching my head in bewilderment.

I liked:

·         That the story didn’t ignore the departure of Susan and that the Doctor was shown to suffer some kind of emotional fallout

·         Vicki, for the most part, but I have yet to really see what makes her different from Susan: both young, both slightly out of phase with the twentieth century. Still Maureen O’Brien does a good turn.

·         The cliff-hangers – both of them were great and I love it when one story segues directly into the next.

·         I rather liked the Koquillion look and the theme to the appearance of the aliens on Dido or was the mask supposed to be a representation of the ‘sandy’ creature?

·         Bennett’s reason for doing what he did – it was believable and, therefore, helped the story to ring true.

Head scratching moments:

·         Why have a mystery story when there are only two suspects (one of whom you know will be joining the regular cast)

·         The Doctor knocks on Bennett’s door, hears Bennett tell him not to come in and responds by breaking the door down for no apparent reason. ??!!

·         Who were the two guys at the end – were they survivors from the planet? Where did they suddenly appear from? I thought at first that they were some kind of effect of the judgement room, that it brought out the guilt from those judged there – manifested the victims physically. But then I saw them ripping up the control panels at the end and realised I was wrong. Preferred my idea.

Still good to see a new companion – the first of many and nice to break the historical/scifi pattern by having two scifi stories in a row. 7 out of 10: Enjoyable but really not on a par with the previous story.

Now, I can finally go back and start reading Doctor Whoovie’s posts!

• Live from .........   5 years 15 weeks ago

Live from ................

Captain Jack's Body Bag

a lump of concrete

the 456 'guild pilots tank' on Dune in Thames House. (was there a tocliphane with a body in there too?)

• [SPOILERS!] Ep 4 'Day Four'   5 years 15 weeks ago

Because John Fay wrote it?

• Live from .........   5 years 15 weeks ago
    ...

… from the 456 tank in Thames House.

… from the smouldering ruins of the Torchwood Hub.

• [SPOILERS!] Ep 4 'Day Four'   5 years 15 weeks ago

Louis-

P.S. What became of the Weevils? Did they all perish in their holding cells when the Torchwood hub exploded? They are still some roaming the streets I suppose. Not that I am missing them by any means.

It would appear after the destruction of the Hub that all the weevels are being effectively contained in the 'Poll' Section of the Gallifreyan Embassy. Laughing

• Primeval being axed?   5 years 15 weeks ago

I think that the question mark in the Primeval has been cancelled headlines comes from the fact that ITV are not commissioning a new series, however since they don't own the show and it has been relatively successful, there is a chance another channel may pick it up. SKY? BBC?

I am watching it on America, so still have a few episodes of Season 3 to watch. I would say that it is successful in certain ways (e.g. my wife watches it religiously, and she HATES Doctor Who and Torchwood) in a similar manner that she loved Voyager but hated everything else Star Trek.

My comment would be for the third season, is that to many of the original cast have dissappeared to quickly (in unrelated incidents) and I am losing my vestment in the team. No Steven, No Nick, No Claudia/Jenny. The only thing that makes me tune in is some resolution about whatever Helen is up to. Unfortunately I think that this will be as illusive as the underlying alien conspiracy in the X-files.

• From the Beginning: The Second Doctor   5 years 15 weeks ago

I amonly two episodes into 'the highlanders' so far. Too much fantastic Torchwood to watch this week.
    I am enjoying it, reminds me a little of 'the romans' in terms of 'farce' and has the added bonus that Kirsty is  played by Hannah Gorden.
    As you say the Doctor is up to slap stick playing a German and a 'old lady' so far. The bit where he overcame Grey was good, but then so was the other farcical part where Polly and Kirsti overcome Ffinch when they lure him into falling in the pit (Though I'm a little confused how the girls suddenly managed to get out the pit after having been stuck there for quite some time). Jamie hasn't really stood out yet, but there's time enough left, I guess. Two episodes to go, probably catch them tonight or tomorrow.

• Mawdryn Undead   5 years 15 weeks ago

3-4

A few notes before the main thing: once again Nyssa and the Doc leave the TARDIS doors open TWICE in this story. Turlough has one moment of greatness here as he is laughably impressed by the Doctor's skill. other than that he's a terror and a terrible companion. The Doc does have his hands full with all that's going on in this story but still, he should have noticed how awful Turlough is. The Brig, Nyssa and Tegan do. The two Brigs meeting and solving the problem for the Doctor is interesting, however conveient. As the Doctor said briefly, perhaps all this is being influenced by some cosmic ---uhh, influence. Certainly not the Black Guardian? I mean he wouldn't want the two Brigs to meet and solve this as he so much as says to Turlough. The BG communcation thing is cracked is it? I guess that meant Turlough thought he would be free of the BG, the BG being pretty effective visually if not as a villain who can't do anything himself, besides blustering to Turlough that he will destroy them all...he really can't. His face in the painting is interesting as is his takeover of Turlough's dream earlier in the story.

I don't really get all the technobabble as to why Nyssa  and Tegan should age and more inappropriately why they should go back to their younger selves. I used to think this rined the story and in fact...it doesn't as I watched it recently. In fact, the entire thing is not as bad as I recall save it does get a bit confusing. The Brig, at one point, is on his way back to Earth in the transmat. I guess he decided to return himself to the ship.

Ahh yes the Ship. When watching this, this time, I thought this is what the TARDIS should look like...all luxury and equipment mixed together rather than just bland white walls with roundels. I mean I like th TARDIS in and out but this ship is really nice and the TARDIS should like more like this inside and bigger than it is now. I also tend to think of the ship from the movie version of HITCHHIKER'S GUIDE TO THE GALAXY, a nice white, comfortable ship.

Anyway the Doc is willing to give up everything for Nyssa and Tegan and even the Brig. He does forget and leave Turlough on the ship, that's ready to blow up...did I miss something or did that auto destruct come on without anyone knowing about it except Tegan later on or were we the viewers given some advance notice of it? If not, that's bad. We should have had some idea and the tension would increase. If yes, then I just didn't hear it or missed it somehow. Either way, too bad Turlough didn't get blown up. I guess they were going for a comparision to EARTHSHOCK's ending.  Even Tegan felt they had to get Turlough off there. But to leave the Brig flat on his back in 1977 on the grass is a bit...stupid for Nyssa and the Doc to do.

I'm not sure there's much more that could have been added to this story but for some reason I felt more drama could have been gotten out of the Brig's nervous breakdown thing or Turlough's just coming on board but maybe not?

Well, watching it this time, I realize the story is not as terrible as I thought it was. There are a alot of badlly placed musical cues. I don't think Mawdryn and his crowed are terrible theats but I'm VERY glad they are not rampaging monsters with laser weapons again nor mutant creatures as the script keeps saying they are and the others say they are. Basically they are mutated humanoids  but not monsters in the DALEK-CYBERMAN sense, thank goodness. For that this is  a nice change of pace and DW should do this kind of thing more often it seems. I guess looking at back then, made me angry that the Doctor would "sacrifice" everything for Tegan and Nyssa and never even batted an eyelash to go back and help Adric off the freighter. Then he takes on Turlough as if he helped a great deal.

The Doc's a jerk.

• 'Wet' Your Appetite for The Waters of Mars   5 years 15 weeks ago

I found the same clip on Digital Spy yesterday.

I put a link to the digital spy story in this thread:

I also mention that the name of the creature is called 'the flood'.

If the youTube link goes, you have this as a back-up.

How do you rate Doctor Who: Flatline? (5=Fantastic)