strict warning: Declaration of views_handler_filter_node_status::operator_form() should be compatible with views_handler_filter::operator_form(&$form, &$form_state) in /home3/gallifre/public_html/vortex/sites/all/modules/views/modules/node/views_handler_filter_node_status.inc on line 13.

• From the Beginning: The Second Doctor   8 years 13 weeks ago

I found this story highly entertaining. I think it has some of the best moments of Troughton's Doctor. I love when he's whitterng about, putterng around trying to find clues, annoying some of the crew. I like it when he is in the lab doing his thing and Polly is asking questions and he tells her he thinks he was a medical doctor once. The Cybermen stalking the med center was scary. The cliffhanger with the Cyberman in the med center under the sheet rising like the MUMMY (from the 1940 movies) was effective as the Doctor shields everybody with his arms and the thing comes at them. There were a great many parts that somehow don't really add up to a logical story. ABOUT TIME 2 can tell you all about the illogic of the science and the scenes. How did the Cybermen come and go from the med center? Why did they not kill Jamie and Polly, and there's lots more. It's good to see the Doctor in a spacesuit and finally on the Moon but again, this story is not boring and does entertain but has a lot of faults and flaws. I enjoyed it a great deal and I just love Polly and Ben as companions and Jamie does little but get sick but he does it so well and looking so good doing it. Pat is in his element here as the Doctor as he puts his mind to work against the disease and the Cybermen on the moon.    This story really cements the CM as major villains for future stories with them in it. And their spikey fingers are ...unsettling, too. At least in this.

• From the Beginning: The Second Doctor   8 years 13 weeks ago

I forgot to mention that I loved the part of this story where the doctor is hiding in the market, apparently diguised as Keith Richards. With Dark sunglasses and a bandana - Great stuff.

• From the Beginning: The Second Doctor   8 years 13 weeks ago

Before anyone thinks that I have spent yesterday and today doing nothing but watch Dr Who, I would like to state that the items I'm posting today reflect episodes I have watched over the past 9 days.

This was an interesting story with many aspects, however it was predictable in many ways.

a) It was obvious that control did not exist (or at least wasn't the man in the picture)
    b) Since Ben was 'bad' for most of the story, he had to save the day.
    c) since the initial impression given to our travellers was the place was 'too good to be true', it had to be.

The good
    -----------
    a) Polly's new haircut
    b) The way that the purpose of the mining and then the purpose of the gas was slowwly introduced through out the story, maintaining a level of mystery.
    c) The way the minds of the colonists were being manipulated by a bodiless voice.

The Bad
    ----------
    a) The bad/good manipulation of Ben, whilst Jamie was 'resistant' to the mind control. This smacks of setting up the situation for Jamie to be the main companion after the next story.
    b) The cheerleading, majorette and jinggle singing seemed very annoying (though perhaps that was the intention). They certainly made the story seem like a period piece, perhaps this is how all propaganda seems out of its context. However, the colonists seemed to carry on with it after the Macra were gone.
    c) Again the very quick wrap up of the story at the end of episode 4 seemed very rushed. i.e. turn the valves on let the pressure build up then the Macra are gone.

A solid 7/10 for this story

It appears to me that this and the previous two stories were similar. In that all the action occured within a closed, small comunity (with only a few sets) but that the 'threat' was huge: destruction of the Earth in two cases, destruction of the entire colony in this case. All three had the feal of a 'small' yet big story. A huge (global) threat is present but all the action can occur in a small area.

This contrasts with the historicals which can be 'small', small stories, i.e. only the lives of our heroes are at stake, not galactic calamity. The new Doctor Who series doesn't do this well, they always have to have Epic stories where, the entire world has to know it is under threat and things have to occur on a grand scale (e.g. Aliens of London, Army of Ghosts/Doomsday/ The Poison Sky, The Stolen Earth, The last of the Time lords, even the idiot's lantern). Perhaps RTD and Mr Moffat could return to some of the classic series ideas, write good stories and save themselves a bit on the budget too.

Polly's 'Hannah Spearitt' Haircut 42 years early

Polly's 'Hannah Spearitt' haircut 42 years early (must have traveled through an anomoly)

This story marks a watershed in my Doctor Who viewing as it was the last episode to be shown before I was born. Starting with the first episode of the faceless ones, the stories were broadcast in my lifetime (Yeah!).

• From the Beginning: The Second Doctor   8 years 13 weeks ago

I disagree with almost everything you said in that post but in a respectful way. I understand that UNDERWATER MENACE is not the best story but for some reason I found it adventurous and funny in a camp sort of way. DW shortcomings aside, it has what looks to be some great location work, a great climax as Atlantis sinks, some great fake outs by the Doctor and Ben, some stilted fight sequences, loyal allies, and the foursome gets split up and I found it refreshing to have two men and one girl as companions.

On the other side, there are some slow moments, things to catch your breath. The Doctor dresses a gypsy or forutne teller and that's funny. The Atlantis people dress or rather lack dress and looks different enough, I worried that some of them may not have escaped. Did they? Yes, the ending was a bit rushed but we see Zaroff drown as the Doc tries to go back for him. I also like that the Doc shoots powder into Zaroff's face, that the villain overcomes his imprisonment when it looks like he's already lost. I particularly like the first episode and the entire getting into the mess...the elevator sequence...then later with the Doc's friends fooling others, pretending to be the god...

On the naive natives of Atlantis, perhaps after years of fake religion clouding their judgement, perhaps they have to look away as a tradition or be smited on.

UNDERWATER MENACE is not going to win any awards by any means.  But it is entertaining IMO and contains at least one shocking death scene to be dangerous and some adventure to be exiting, plus it has Jamie in a wet suit to look really really dapper and Polly changing clothes to look...really really silly. AND it was DW trying something different...

• From the Beginning: The Second Doctor   8 years 13 weeks ago

I'm not sure how long they were there but they were in the cave or something long as well. Polly tries to get out but falls in, Kirsty falls in. Polly suggest a game of piggy back to get out but they see lights and the soldiers pass. They get Ffinch and tie him up and then Polly climbs up Kirsty's back to get out. At least I think that's what happened!

• From the Beginning: The Second Doctor   8 years 13 weeks ago

Now this is more like it. This was a first rate sci-fi story. The redesigned cybermen being vastly superior to those in the tenth planet.

Polly showed her metal her again, inventing the 'polly cocktail' in addition to serving lots of coffee. Though I suppose that this forwarded the plot since it helped them discover how the moonbase personel were being poisoned. The Polly cocktail seems particularly effective reducing cybermen to an empty rubber diving suit in a few seconds. I need some solvent like that.

As with 'the tenth planet' the actual science here was pretty flakey. Using gravity to control the weather seems pretty proposterous. Likewise the final solution of using the gravitron to get the cybermen (and their ship) off the moon seems a little weak. What stops them from slowly falling back down again once the beam is turned off?

A more serious plot hole is that we knoe the cyberman cannot tolerate radiation, but the surface of the moon is bombarded continuously by radiation without an atmosphere or magnetic field to protect it.

I liked the way that each member of the moonbase crew had there name and country of origin emblazoned on their chest, it was just like going to a 'six flags' theme park where the staff are similarly labelled.

I do hope that this is one of the next stories which 2Entertain will augment the remaining episodes with anitmated replacements for the missing parts.

A good 9/10 for this one.

• Re-Evaluating Davison's stories, Frontios, Planet of Fire, Awakening notes   8 years 13 weeks ago

hadn't yet seen...or at least not in my area, hadn't yet seen THE SEA DEVILS, THE SILURIANS, THE THREE DOCTORS, or any Roger Delgado Master stories so the stories from Davison's era or more appropriately the early JNT era gave me/us the first look at the creatures from those stories and for that, these stories always seem to hold a special, almost nostalgic feeling so I have to take that into account. Once, in what seemed like a long long time but wasn't that long (although we did get to go through ROBOT to CAVES OF ANDROZANI again), the Colin Baker "era" came around to the US we were getting the full range of the complete stories of PERTWEE, HARTNELL AND TROUGHTON in that order. Of course we didn't get the stories that were wiped. Colin's stories didn't have the bonus of first showing the US the Master, the Silurians, the Sea Devils. In addition, we had only two Dalek stories when the Davison stories came about and only one Cyberman story until the Davison stories came about and that was at the very start of Tom Baker's reign. Just something to think about.

• From the Beginning: The Second Doctor   8 years 13 weeks ago

Well what can I say about this story. The premis for the stroy was very promising but somehow never really delivered on it.

I know that Zaroff was meant to be insane, however the acting was just 'too over the top' (he reminds me of a silent movie bad guy hamming it up, but with vocals). The fish people were just a little 'too' sparkly and naff. The Atlantean people were just alittle 'too' niave (Don't look at Admo when she eats the sacrifices).

I liked Ben's line in the first episode "Polly, you speak foreign, go and talk to him, ask him where we are".

Many ideas were good

The use of Atlantis (and trying to raise it again)
    Changing people into fish by adding gills
    The infinite food source which cannot be stored
    The world exploding when the ocean is allowed to enter the hot core.

I really enjoyed the first episode (and the third episode, since it seems like ages since I last saw moving pictures) but ultimately felt let down.

I found the incidental music extremely annoying and the way the story wrapped up in the final episode seemed extremely rushed and unsatisfying. It seemed to me that the TARDIS was  overcrowded here. i.e., too many companions for the amount of story available.

A 5/10 for this one I think.

Yet the story was unsatisfying in the end, the s

Ian 20                        - Zoe 17        - Barbara 2 (-2)  - Donna 7
     The Brigadier 27(+1)   -
    Jo Grant 14   - Victoria 4
    - Sarah Jane 22
    Harry 22               - Jamie 25            Leela 20
    __________________________________________________________________________

12: Romana I         13. Tegan
    14. Stephen            15. Ben                 16. Vicki                 17: Polly
    18. Liz                   19. Nyssa               20. Captain Jack     21. K9
    22. Rose                23. Peri                  24. Ace                 25. Martha
    26. Turlough           27. Romana II
    28. Mickey            29: Adric
    31: Grace               32: Dodo              33: Mel

• From the Beginning: The Second Doctor   8 years 13 weeks ago

Well I watched the last two episodes of the Highlanders last week, but never got round to posting a final review.

As I said previously it reminded me of 'The Romans' - a historical with a lt of farsical elements. It struck me a little amusing that the 'bad guys' in the story were the English (about 90% of the viewing public when it was first broadcast). It is not often that  the producers of a TV series set the majority of their audience as the villians.

Whilst comparing this to 'the romans' in style, I did not find it quite as entertaining. It seems strange to me that Jamie became a companion as he did not play a huge role in the story. I don't believe that the producers decided he was such a strong character that he should be included in the TARDIS crew, rather it was decided he would join the regulars and the story was written to allow his insertion.

I had to laugh at the fight on the ship where the Loose Canon team had inserted footage of pirates fighting on deck. a) everyone was dressed as pirates (no kilts to be seen and b) that looked like the Carribean not the bleak atlantic of the coast of Scotland.

In this story I enjoyed the Doctor's acting pieces (soldier/old woman/German) and the strong part that Polly had, otherwise a fairly average story. 6/10.

• Tegan and Turlough To Return For Big Finish   8 years 13 weeks ago

I hadn't known the reason why Strickson hasn't been more involved with the BF audios. To be honest, I would think that his living on the other side of the planet wouldn't be that restrictive these days: he can easily record and be directed locally with all the technology available these days. The audio recording equivalent of a conference call would suffice.

As for Fielding, it sounds like she might've enjoyed doing the one audio, convincing her to do more. It's good news all around. :)

CIA on Talkshoe - ID 30659

CIA Epi. 99 at 2pm EDT

Looking back at past shows - both on TV and here at CIA

• As a whole, how would you rate Torchwood: Children of Earth? (5=fantastic)   8 years 13 weeks ago

It would be 5 but I don't care for the direction the story took. I'm tired of killing off cast members. It's a cheap writer's trick and unworthy of RTD's ability.

• Warriors of the Deep   8 years 13 weeks ago

Okay yeah there are some real production design faults, but when isn't there? Sea Devil heads are set at angles, Sea Devils bump into each other, and then there's the full bodied Myrka. Ingrid Pitt should never have been allowed to make her Dr. Solow (so low?) do karate on the Myrka (didn't the lady know it could electrify her?) as this makes for one of the worst moments of the entire Davison era but if you don't mind that too much...as well as the fact that the Doctor gives aide to the enemy..or rather tells Tegan and Turlough to and they do...revive the Silurians...so that one can grab a gun and kill the Commander and opps, the Silurians die anyway...if you can overlook all of that...

This is not too bad, certainly not as bad as everyone says. Davison is in top form and this story makes me wish...as well as the rest of this season...makes me wish he had stayed another year or two...His final line about "there should have been another way" makes this all worth it. It's a great delivery. I felt at the time and still do, that the writers and producer were going for a Blake's 7 everybody dies or at least a great many people die...I usually forget that Bulic is still alive thanks to Turlough's line, "They're all dead, you know,"  but Bulic lived.

The moral dilemmas here are well thought out even if execution isn't that great but again, it's not that bad either and these episodes are, with the ideas and the cliffhangers, watchable. Davison also gets a fair share of Davis-isms including the aformentioned  Brave Heart but there are others ("Make a wish, Tegan"; "I'm going to bring a little sunshine into the Mryka's life"; "Perhaps you can ask it to go away nicely.").

A constant Blake's 7ism (Lots of death, pointless death, sacrifices, plans going awry) isn't always right for DOCTOR WHO but sometimes...if you think about it almost any or every tone is right for DOCTOR WHO as it is flexible. Of course this all goes awry with morbid junk like ATTACK OF THE CYBERMEN, SILVER NEMESIS, TIMELASH, and others but here, it works as it did in EARTHSHOCK and will again in that Colin Baker Dalek story (REVELATION OF THE DALEKS). I have to say that Turlough seems rather tough in the first three episodes but reverts back to his near-cowardly ways and his progression seems to be headed in the right direction and he's not as awful as when he first started.

One thing is : Why did he want to return home so badly, then he doesn't, then in PLANET OF FIRE we find out he really shouldn't want that at all but...then it's all okay anyway. Can someone say, "Not thought out clearly enough."   In the dvd commentary for WARRIORS OF THE DEEP, it says that Turlough was thought out to have some sub plots that would run alongside the main one, his own adventures so to speak but that never panned out due to the DW format...what?

Anyway I can really recommend WARRIORS OF THE DEEP as I don't think it's that bad. Honestly.

• Staggering Stories Podcast   8 years 14 weeks ago

Have we really been doing it this long?  Yes, the over self-celebratory Staggering Stories Podcast 50: The Insanity of Cake is now available!

We cover:
    Doctor Who: Favourite and Least Favourite bits for all Doctors.
    Fight Club: Original Captain Kirk vs New Captain Kirk.
    Doctor Who: A review of Part 1 of the 50th Anniversary Special.
    The return of The Agony Nanny.
    Swanee-Kazoo: Name that theme tune.
    Plus, as ever, lots of news (Torchwood (no spoilers!) and more!)

More madness than eating too much cake when wired on caffeine!

Available on iTunes and most other major podcast directory sites.

We also have a Staggering Stories Facebook group.
    You can drop us a line at show@staggeringstories.net or visit our Main Site or Blog

Ian 20 (-2)          - Zoe 17               - Barbara 4         - Donna 7
     The Brigadier 26    -
    Jo Grant 14 (+1)  - Victoria 4
    - Sarah Jane 22
    Harry 22               - Jamie 25            Leela 20
    __________________________________________________________________________

12: Romana I         13. Tegan
    18. Liz                   19. Nyssa               20. Captain Jack     21. K9
    26. Turlough           27. Romana II
    28. Mickey            29: Adric
    31: Grace               32: Dodo              33: Mel

• [SPOILERS!] Epi 5 'Day Five'   8 years 14 weeks ago

I’m not sure that I necessarily see these as plotholes.

1- Human Crackpipes.  Same thing could be said about any drug, who suddenly thought : ‘Well, you know if I heat that into a liquid and inject it, what will happen?’ Could these aliens have laid their hands on humanoids elsewhere in the galaxy and had their supply cut off?

2- A dozen to millions.  Isn’t this how most people give in to extortion? We believe that just one more payment might actually make them go away. Besides, they saw no real alternative

3- Huge Conspiracies.  Government control of the media added to  our normally inclination to ignore what’s under our very nose if it’s too scary. The bigger the lie...etc.

4- Frobisher's kids.  Again, see above. You may not fall for this but it’s an old trick which politicians still use. These still trundle the streets kissing babies as nauseum.

So, for me an indictment of government and certain traits of human nature, yes. Plot holes, hardly.

• [SPOILERS!] Epi 5 'Day Five'   8 years 14 weeks ago

I wonder if Jack's leaving Earth at the end of CoE will somehow tie in to his appearance in the 2009 Specials of Doctor Who...

I did REALLY like CoE, except that I would have liked to see Jack somehow save his grandson, or have his grandson somehow "inherit" some kind of regenerative ability from Jack.  Either that, or I wish they had used Clem for the transmitter...

• [SPOILERS!] Epi 5 'Day Five'   8 years 14 weeks ago

I am in awe of your post and your reasoning about TORCHWOOD COE. I didn't even think about those plot holes but everything in your post makes sense. Thanks for writing it.

- Ian 22 (+1)          - Zoe 17               - Barbara 4         - Donna 7
     The Brigadier 26    -
    Jo Grant 13 (-2)  - Victoria 4
    - Sarah Jane 22
    Harry 22               - Jamie 25            Leela 20
    __________________________________________________________________________

12: Romana I         13. Tegan
    18. Liz                   19. Nyssa               20. Captain Jack     21. K9
    26. Turlough           27. Romana II
    28. Mickey            29: Adric
    31: Grace               32: Dodo              33: Mel

• The Cultdom Collective Podcast Updates   8 years 14 weeks ago

The Cultdom Collective Podcast comes to Talkshoe - ID 54821 Sunday 2nd August 2009:-

daveac & Ian (The Sixth Doctor)

• Tom Baker is back as the Doctor!!!!!   8 years 14 weeks ago

I'd almost forgotten about Sean Pertwee.  I saw him once while I was channel surfing in a movie called Blue Juice.  I'd paused there because Cathrine Zeta Jones was in the movie.  Next thing I know, she's talking to some guy who looks and sounds very familiar, but I just can't place him for the life of me.  After about half an hour it finally hits me who he reminds me of.  I look the movie up on IMDB, and sure enough- Sean Pertwee.  That was years ago, too.  I'll bet he looks even more like his old man than he did in that film.  He'd obviously be able to pull off an audio story with no trouble.

No doubt, he could also handle the role on camera as well.  That might be a bit touchy to handle, though.  Looked at one way, it would be a great tribute to his father if he were to reprise the role for a special episode of the new series.  Looked at from another, and it might be a bit morbid, or at least uncomfortable.  I suppose it would ultimately depend on how Sean viewed the matter.  Personally, I think Jon would love the idea of his son stepping into his dandy outfit.  It would also inspire many of the newer fans of The Doctor to check out the Pertwee era.

• Tom Baker is back as the Doctor!!!!!   8 years 14 weeks ago

I love John Culshaw's impressions of Baker, they are hilarious! The thought of him doing some audios as the Doctor would be amazing. However, I can't see him doing a whole pragraph without making some sort of joke!

- Ian 21                 - Zoe 17 (+1)       - Barbara 4         - Donna 7 (-2)
     The Brigadier 26    -
    Jo Grant 15       - Victoria 4
    - Sarah Jane 22
    Harry 22               - Jamie 25            Leela 20
    __________________________________________________________________________

12: Romana I         13. Tegan
    18. Liz                   19. Nyssa               20. Captain Jack     21. K9
    26. Turlough           27. Romana II
    28. Mickey            29: Adric
    31: Grace               32: Dodo              33: Mel

• From the Beginning: The First Doctor   8 years 14 weeks ago

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

How do you rate Doctor Who: Thin Ice? (5=Fantastic)