strict warning: Declaration of views_handler_filter_node_status::operator_form() should be compatible with views_handler_filter::operator_form(&$form, &$form_state) in /home3/gallifre/public_html/vortex/sites/all/modules/views/modules/node/views_handler_filter_node_status.inc on line 13.

• From the Beginning: The Second Doctor   7 years 49 weeks ago

Well I watched the last two episodes of the Highlanders last week, but never got round to posting a final review.

As I said previously it reminded me of 'The Romans' - a historical with a lt of farsical elements. It struck me a little amusing that the 'bad guys' in the story were the English (about 90% of the viewing public when it was first broadcast). It is not often that  the producers of a TV series set the majority of their audience as the villians.

Whilst comparing this to 'the romans' in style, I did not find it quite as entertaining. It seems strange to me that Jamie became a companion as he did not play a huge role in the story. I don't believe that the producers decided he was such a strong character that he should be included in the TARDIS crew, rather it was decided he would join the regulars and the story was written to allow his insertion.

I had to laugh at the fight on the ship where the Loose Canon team had inserted footage of pirates fighting on deck. a) everyone was dressed as pirates (no kilts to be seen and b) that looked like the Carribean not the bleak atlantic of the coast of Scotland.

In this story I enjoyed the Doctor's acting pieces (soldier/old woman/German) and the strong part that Polly had, otherwise a fairly average story. 6/10.

• Tegan and Turlough To Return For Big Finish   7 years 49 weeks ago

I hadn't known the reason why Strickson hasn't been more involved with the BF audios. To be honest, I would think that his living on the other side of the planet wouldn't be that restrictive these days: he can easily record and be directed locally with all the technology available these days. The audio recording equivalent of a conference call would suffice.

As for Fielding, it sounds like she might've enjoyed doing the one audio, convincing her to do more. It's good news all around. :)

CIA on Talkshoe - ID 30659

CIA Epi. 99 at 2pm EDT

Looking back at past shows - both on TV and here at CIA

• As a whole, how would you rate Torchwood: Children of Earth? (5=fantastic)   7 years 49 weeks ago

It would be 5 but I don't care for the direction the story took. I'm tired of killing off cast members. It's a cheap writer's trick and unworthy of RTD's ability.

• Warriors of the Deep   7 years 49 weeks ago

Okay yeah there are some real production design faults, but when isn't there? Sea Devil heads are set at angles, Sea Devils bump into each other, and then there's the full bodied Myrka. Ingrid Pitt should never have been allowed to make her Dr. Solow (so low?) do karate on the Myrka (didn't the lady know it could electrify her?) as this makes for one of the worst moments of the entire Davison era but if you don't mind that too much...as well as the fact that the Doctor gives aide to the enemy..or rather tells Tegan and Turlough to and they do...revive the Silurians...so that one can grab a gun and kill the Commander and opps, the Silurians die anyway...if you can overlook all of that...

This is not too bad, certainly not as bad as everyone says. Davison is in top form and this story makes me wish...as well as the rest of this season...makes me wish he had stayed another year or two...His final line about "there should have been another way" makes this all worth it. It's a great delivery. I felt at the time and still do, that the writers and producer were going for a Blake's 7 everybody dies or at least a great many people die...I usually forget that Bulic is still alive thanks to Turlough's line, "They're all dead, you know,"  but Bulic lived.

The moral dilemmas here are well thought out even if execution isn't that great but again, it's not that bad either and these episodes are, with the ideas and the cliffhangers, watchable. Davison also gets a fair share of Davis-isms including the aformentioned  Brave Heart but there are others ("Make a wish, Tegan"; "I'm going to bring a little sunshine into the Mryka's life"; "Perhaps you can ask it to go away nicely.").

A constant Blake's 7ism (Lots of death, pointless death, sacrifices, plans going awry) isn't always right for DOCTOR WHO but sometimes...if you think about it almost any or every tone is right for DOCTOR WHO as it is flexible. Of course this all goes awry with morbid junk like ATTACK OF THE CYBERMEN, SILVER NEMESIS, TIMELASH, and others but here, it works as it did in EARTHSHOCK and will again in that Colin Baker Dalek story (REVELATION OF THE DALEKS). I have to say that Turlough seems rather tough in the first three episodes but reverts back to his near-cowardly ways and his progression seems to be headed in the right direction and he's not as awful as when he first started.

One thing is : Why did he want to return home so badly, then he doesn't, then in PLANET OF FIRE we find out he really shouldn't want that at all but...then it's all okay anyway. Can someone say, "Not thought out clearly enough."   In the dvd commentary for WARRIORS OF THE DEEP, it says that Turlough was thought out to have some sub plots that would run alongside the main one, his own adventures so to speak but that never panned out due to the DW format...what?

Anyway I can really recommend WARRIORS OF THE DEEP as I don't think it's that bad. Honestly.

• Staggering Stories Podcast   7 years 49 weeks ago

Have we really been doing it this long?  Yes, the over self-celebratory Staggering Stories Podcast 50: The Insanity of Cake is now available!

We cover:
    Doctor Who: Favourite and Least Favourite bits for all Doctors.
    Fight Club: Original Captain Kirk vs New Captain Kirk.
    Doctor Who: A review of Part 1 of the 50th Anniversary Special.
    The return of The Agony Nanny.
    Swanee-Kazoo: Name that theme tune.
    Plus, as ever, lots of news (Torchwood (no spoilers!) and more!)

More madness than eating too much cake when wired on caffeine!

Available on iTunes and most other major podcast directory sites.

We also have a Staggering Stories Facebook group.
    You can drop us a line at show@staggeringstories.net or visit our Main Site or Blog

Ian 20 (-2)          - Zoe 17               - Barbara 4         - Donna 7
     The Brigadier 26    -
    Jo Grant 14 (+1)  - Victoria 4
    - Sarah Jane 22
    Harry 22               - Jamie 25            Leela 20
    __________________________________________________________________________

12: Romana I         13. Tegan
    14. Stephen            15. Ben                 16. Vicki                 17: Polly
    18. Liz                   19. Nyssa               20. Captain Jack     21. K9
    22. Rose                23. Peri                  24. Ace                 25. Martha
    26. Turlough           27. Romana II
    28. Mickey            29: Adric
    31: Grace               32: Dodo              33: Mel

• [SPOILERS!] Epi 5 'Day Five'   7 years 49 weeks ago

I’m not sure that I necessarily see these as plotholes.

1- Human Crackpipes.  Same thing could be said about any drug, who suddenly thought : ‘Well, you know if I heat that into a liquid and inject it, what will happen?’ Could these aliens have laid their hands on humanoids elsewhere in the galaxy and had their supply cut off?

2- A dozen to millions.  Isn’t this how most people give in to extortion? We believe that just one more payment might actually make them go away. Besides, they saw no real alternative

3- Huge Conspiracies.  Government control of the media added to  our normally inclination to ignore what’s under our very nose if it’s too scary. The bigger the lie...etc.

4- Frobisher's kids.  Again, see above. You may not fall for this but it’s an old trick which politicians still use. These still trundle the streets kissing babies as nauseum.

So, for me an indictment of government and certain traits of human nature, yes. Plot holes, hardly.

• [SPOILERS!] Epi 5 'Day Five'   7 years 49 weeks ago

I wonder if Jack's leaving Earth at the end of CoE will somehow tie in to his appearance in the 2009 Specials of Doctor Who...

I did REALLY like CoE, except that I would have liked to see Jack somehow save his grandson, or have his grandson somehow "inherit" some kind of regenerative ability from Jack.  Either that, or I wish they had used Clem for the transmitter...

• [SPOILERS!] Epi 5 'Day Five'   7 years 49 weeks ago

I am in awe of your post and your reasoning about TORCHWOOD COE. I didn't even think about those plot holes but everything in your post makes sense. Thanks for writing it.

- Ian 22 (+1)          - Zoe 17               - Barbara 4         - Donna 7
     The Brigadier 26    -
    Jo Grant 13 (-2)  - Victoria 4
    - Sarah Jane 22
    Harry 22               - Jamie 25            Leela 20
    __________________________________________________________________________

12: Romana I         13. Tegan
    18. Liz                   19. Nyssa               20. Captain Jack     21. K9
    26. Turlough           27. Romana II
    28. Mickey            29: Adric
    31: Grace               32: Dodo              33: Mel

• The Cultdom Collective Podcast Updates   7 years 49 weeks ago

The Cultdom Collective Podcast comes to Talkshoe - ID 54821 Sunday 2nd August 2009:-

daveac & Ian (The Sixth Doctor)

• Tom Baker is back as the Doctor!!!!!   7 years 49 weeks ago

I'd almost forgotten about Sean Pertwee.  I saw him once while I was channel surfing in a movie called Blue Juice.  I'd paused there because Cathrine Zeta Jones was in the movie.  Next thing I know, she's talking to some guy who looks and sounds very familiar, but I just can't place him for the life of me.  After about half an hour it finally hits me who he reminds me of.  I look the movie up on IMDB, and sure enough- Sean Pertwee.  That was years ago, too.  I'll bet he looks even more like his old man than he did in that film.  He'd obviously be able to pull off an audio story with no trouble.

No doubt, he could also handle the role on camera as well.  That might be a bit touchy to handle, though.  Looked at one way, it would be a great tribute to his father if he were to reprise the role for a special episode of the new series.  Looked at from another, and it might be a bit morbid, or at least uncomfortable.  I suppose it would ultimately depend on how Sean viewed the matter.  Personally, I think Jon would love the idea of his son stepping into his dandy outfit.  It would also inspire many of the newer fans of The Doctor to check out the Pertwee era.

• Tom Baker is back as the Doctor!!!!!   7 years 49 weeks ago

I love John Culshaw's impressions of Baker, they are hilarious! The thought of him doing some audios as the Doctor would be amazing. However, I can't see him doing a whole pragraph without making some sort of joke!

- Ian 21                 - Zoe 17 (+1)       - Barbara 4         - Donna 7 (-2)
     The Brigadier 26    -
    Jo Grant 15       - Victoria 4
    - Sarah Jane 22
    Harry 22               - Jamie 25            Leela 20
    __________________________________________________________________________

12: Romana I         13. Tegan
    18. Liz                   19. Nyssa               20. Captain Jack     21. K9
    26. Turlough           27. Romana II
    28. Mickey            29: Adric
    31: Grace               32: Dodo              33: Mel

• From the Beginning: The First Doctor   7 years 49 weeks ago

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

• [SPOILERS!] Epi 5 'Day Five'   7 years 49 weeks ago

Everything I wish a Doctor Who finale could be.  It was very dark, very sad, and the "hero" of the series is cast in a very different light.  Ianto was possibly my favorite character from the show, so it was sad to see him go.  However at the same time, I'm glad there was no global reset button that DW is infamous for.  Characters are killed and stay dead unlike some other "deaths" *cough*Rose*Donna*cough.  I think the strongest episode of the 5 was the 3rd one, where Frobisher first makes contact with the 456.  Not being able to see the alien, and wondering what it looked like based solely on the voice was very frightening.  Yes, it was similar to the way the Beast's voice was used in The Impossible Planet/Satan Pit, but I loved those two stories, so I don't mind.

Frobisher killing his family is disturbing, but understandable in a dire, bleak-future kind of way.  Sadly similar incidents happen today, with people so distressed about their economic situation they unfortunately take similar measures with their family.

I am saddened to think this may be the last Torchwood story.  Between the dead members and Jack having left for other-worldly adventures, I'm not sure Gwen can carry the torch(wood) so to speak.  She is a good character, and I like her a lot, but she lacks the experience in alien contact that Jack brings to the group.  I won't go so far as to say I won't watch a Jack-less Torchwood, but I think the writers have a lot of obstacles to overcome if they go down this path.

Anyway, bravo TW for a shortened season done brilliantly.

- Ian 21                 - Zoe 16              - Barbara 4         - Donna 9 (-2)
     The Brigadier 26 (+1)-
    Jo Grant 15       - Victoria 4
    - Sarah Jane 22
    Harry 22              - Jamie 25            Leela 20
    __________________________________________________________________________

12: Romana I        13. Tegan
    14. Stephen           15. Ben                 16. Vicki                 17: Polly
    18. Liz                   19. Nyssa               20. Captain Jack     21. K9
    26. Turlough           27. Romana II
    28. Mickey            29: Adric
    31: Grace               32: Dodo              33: Mel

• Tom Baker is back as the Doctor!!!!!   7 years 49 weeks ago

Jon Pertwee's son sounds just like him. Patrick Troughton's sons sound like him! Plus whoever they got to Hartnell on one of the Companion Chronicles (I think someone was in jail talking to a guard who sounded suspicsiously like the Doctor but I can't recall the name of the thing or which companion of the First Doctor it was, possibly Vicki), sounds JUST like him.

• The Angel of Scutari (Spoilers)   7 years 49 weeks ago

parts 3-4

Okay this story is just fantastic. Whereas most DW stories on audio and elsewhere sometimes go off track, this one finds itself even more in parts 3 and 4. AND is responsible for one of the funniest DW moments on audio. "Quick, Ace, while your respective aquaintances are trying to hack each other to pieces, hug me!"  And it all makes sense. The 7th Doctor, Ace, and Hex have some of the best scripts, some of the most experimental and the ones that work best IMO. Some, like the last one, the Dalek one, just don't work but this...

does work.

The guest actors are very good, the history---something DW should have aspired to do ALL throughout its history---is interesting, educating, and exciting. DW should visit relatively  unknown spots in history and places ALL the time instead of just alien planets and future colonies. THAT's pretty much boring by now but this...this is just so well done.

BTW Ace and the Brig on audio in the mostly SPOILERS FOR DEATH COEMS TO TIME

SPOILERS FOR DEATH COMES TO TIME

are responsbile for one of the most emotional and highly warm and sensitive scenes ever...Ace belives the Doc to be dead (as do we) and she's recovering as she comes over a hill to the UNIT troops and sees the Brig, who asks her where the Doctor is. Almost bewildered and quitely she tells him, "He...he's gone..." and we hear a slow short version of the DW theme.

Anyway for this story, it ends on a cliffhanger and listen past the end theme music as there are more scenes or rather one more scene.

All in all a sensitive story, well written, with no easy answers and death everywhere but some really well drawn characters...

- Ian 21                 - Zoe 16              - Barbara 4         - Donna 11 (-2)
     The Brigadier 25 (+1)-
    Jo Grant 15       - Victoria 4
    - Sarah Jane 22
    Harry 22              - Jamie 25            Leela 20
    __________________________________________________________________________

12: Romana I        13. Tegan
    18. Liz                   19. Nyssa               20. Captain Jack     21. K9
    26. Turlough           27. Romana II
    28. Mickey            29: Adric
    31: Grace               32: Dodo              33: Mel

• Gallifrey 2010 - Blackjack 21 Changes Date One Week Later   7 years 49 weeks ago

What was a booking error has turned out to be a massive good thing for me.

I can make Gallifrey this year! I'm leaving for the UK after the 20th Feb, so I can in all intensive purposes swing by LA before making my way to the UK.

I'm really really going to attempt to make it to Gally 21.

Wish me luck boys! And hopefully see you there ^_^

- Ian 21 (+1)        - Zoe 16              - Barbara 4         - Donna 13
     The Brigadier 24   -
    Jo Grant 15 (-2)  - Victoria 4
    - Sarah Jane 22
    Harry 22              - Jamie 25            Leela 20
    __________________________________________________________________________

12: Romana I        13. Tegan
    18. Liz                   19. Nyssa               20. Captain Jack     21. K9
    26. Turlough           27. Romana II
    28. Mickey            29: Adric
    31: Grace               32: Dodo              33: Mel

• THE FIVE DOCTORS   7 years 49 weeks ago

Okay that annoying horn sounding off is really starting to annoy me big time. Rassilon is a bit of a let down and his voice embarassing. Borusa being the traitor was surprising but it makes sense from what we've seen of the man in the past, for the most part. It's nice to see the Doctors all mingling in the scene and gratifiying to see the Brig punch out the Master. It might have been nice but maybe repetitious to have Susan talk with Sarah and/or Tegan. What chat there was was funny and interesting ("You as well..."" with the Brig getting most of the best lines. The Jamie Zoey thing was embarassingly played out. The rest was okay and in all this story was a fitting celebration of DW, perhaps the last really good celebration and until SIRENS OF TIME, the last good meeting of Doctors... I also like the melding of the old theme with the new theme, it works well.

• Tom Baker is back as the Doctor!!!!!   7 years 49 weeks ago

Ever since I first discovered John Culshaw's amazing impressions of Tom Baker on Dead Ringers, I've thought it would be great if he were to do a few Big Finish productions.  I'd certainly prefer the real thing, but until now that's looked like an impossibility.

How do you rate Doctor Who: Thin Ice? (5=Fantastic)