strict warning: Declaration of views_handler_filter_node_status::operator_form() should be compatible with views_handler_filter::operator_form(&$form, &$form_state) in /home3/gallifre/public_html/vortex/sites/all/modules/views/modules/node/views_handler_filter_node_status.inc on line 13.

- Ian 22 (+1)          - Zoe 17               - Barbara 4         - Donna 7
     The Brigadier 26    -
    Jo Grant 13 (-2)  - Victoria 4
    - Sarah Jane 22
    Harry 22               - Jamie 25            Leela 20
    __________________________________________________________________________

12: Romana I         13. Tegan
    14. Stephen            15. Ben                 16. Vicki                 17: Polly
    18. Liz                   19. Nyssa               20. Captain Jack     21. K9
    22. Rose                23. Peri                  24. Ace                 25. Martha
    26. Turlough           27. Romana II
    28. Mickey            29: Adric
    31: Grace               32: Dodo              33: Mel

• The Cultdom Collective Podcast Updates   7 years 44 weeks ago

The Cultdom Collective Podcast comes to Talkshoe - ID 54821 Sunday 2nd August 2009:-

daveac & Ian (The Sixth Doctor)

• Tom Baker is back as the Doctor!!!!!   7 years 44 weeks ago

I'd almost forgotten about Sean Pertwee.  I saw him once while I was channel surfing in a movie called Blue Juice.  I'd paused there because Cathrine Zeta Jones was in the movie.  Next thing I know, she's talking to some guy who looks and sounds very familiar, but I just can't place him for the life of me.  After about half an hour it finally hits me who he reminds me of.  I look the movie up on IMDB, and sure enough- Sean Pertwee.  That was years ago, too.  I'll bet he looks even more like his old man than he did in that film.  He'd obviously be able to pull off an audio story with no trouble.

No doubt, he could also handle the role on camera as well.  That might be a bit touchy to handle, though.  Looked at one way, it would be a great tribute to his father if he were to reprise the role for a special episode of the new series.  Looked at from another, and it might be a bit morbid, or at least uncomfortable.  I suppose it would ultimately depend on how Sean viewed the matter.  Personally, I think Jon would love the idea of his son stepping into his dandy outfit.  It would also inspire many of the newer fans of The Doctor to check out the Pertwee era.

• Tom Baker is back as the Doctor!!!!!   7 years 44 weeks ago

I love John Culshaw's impressions of Baker, they are hilarious! The thought of him doing some audios as the Doctor would be amazing. However, I can't see him doing a whole pragraph without making some sort of joke!

- Ian 21                 - Zoe 17 (+1)       - Barbara 4         - Donna 7 (-2)
     The Brigadier 26    -
    Jo Grant 15       - Victoria 4
    - Sarah Jane 22
    Harry 22               - Jamie 25            Leela 20
    __________________________________________________________________________

12: Romana I         13. Tegan
    18. Liz                   19. Nyssa               20. Captain Jack     21. K9
    26. Turlough           27. Romana II
    28. Mickey            29: Adric
    31: Grace               32: Dodo              33: Mel

• From the Beginning: The First Doctor   7 years 44 weeks ago

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

• [SPOILERS!] Epi 5 'Day Five'   7 years 44 weeks ago

Everything I wish a Doctor Who finale could be.  It was very dark, very sad, and the "hero" of the series is cast in a very different light.  Ianto was possibly my favorite character from the show, so it was sad to see him go.  However at the same time, I'm glad there was no global reset button that DW is infamous for.  Characters are killed and stay dead unlike some other "deaths" *cough*Rose*Donna*cough.  I think the strongest episode of the 5 was the 3rd one, where Frobisher first makes contact with the 456.  Not being able to see the alien, and wondering what it looked like based solely on the voice was very frightening.  Yes, it was similar to the way the Beast's voice was used in The Impossible Planet/Satan Pit, but I loved those two stories, so I don't mind.

Frobisher killing his family is disturbing, but understandable in a dire, bleak-future kind of way.  Sadly similar incidents happen today, with people so distressed about their economic situation they unfortunately take similar measures with their family.

I am saddened to think this may be the last Torchwood story.  Between the dead members and Jack having left for other-worldly adventures, I'm not sure Gwen can carry the torch(wood) so to speak.  She is a good character, and I like her a lot, but she lacks the experience in alien contact that Jack brings to the group.  I won't go so far as to say I won't watch a Jack-less Torchwood, but I think the writers have a lot of obstacles to overcome if they go down this path.

Anyway, bravo TW for a shortened season done brilliantly.

- Ian 21                 - Zoe 16              - Barbara 4         - Donna 9 (-2)
     The Brigadier 26 (+1)-
    Jo Grant 15       - Victoria 4
    - Sarah Jane 22
    Harry 22              - Jamie 25            Leela 20
    __________________________________________________________________________

12: Romana I        13. Tegan
    14. Stephen           15. Ben                 16. Vicki                 17: Polly
    18. Liz                   19. Nyssa               20. Captain Jack     21. K9
    26. Turlough           27. Romana II
    28. Mickey            29: Adric
    31: Grace               32: Dodo              33: Mel

• Tom Baker is back as the Doctor!!!!!   7 years 44 weeks ago

Jon Pertwee's son sounds just like him. Patrick Troughton's sons sound like him! Plus whoever they got to Hartnell on one of the Companion Chronicles (I think someone was in jail talking to a guard who sounded suspicsiously like the Doctor but I can't recall the name of the thing or which companion of the First Doctor it was, possibly Vicki), sounds JUST like him.

• The Angel of Scutari (Spoilers)   7 years 44 weeks ago

parts 3-4

Okay this story is just fantastic. Whereas most DW stories on audio and elsewhere sometimes go off track, this one finds itself even more in parts 3 and 4. AND is responsible for one of the funniest DW moments on audio. "Quick, Ace, while your respective aquaintances are trying to hack each other to pieces, hug me!"  And it all makes sense. The 7th Doctor, Ace, and Hex have some of the best scripts, some of the most experimental and the ones that work best IMO. Some, like the last one, the Dalek one, just don't work but this...

does work.

The guest actors are very good, the history---something DW should have aspired to do ALL throughout its history---is interesting, educating, and exciting. DW should visit relatively  unknown spots in history and places ALL the time instead of just alien planets and future colonies. THAT's pretty much boring by now but this...this is just so well done.

BTW Ace and the Brig on audio in the mostly SPOILERS FOR DEATH COEMS TO TIME

SPOILERS FOR DEATH COMES TO TIME

are responsbile for one of the most emotional and highly warm and sensitive scenes ever...Ace belives the Doc to be dead (as do we) and she's recovering as she comes over a hill to the UNIT troops and sees the Brig, who asks her where the Doctor is. Almost bewildered and quitely she tells him, "He...he's gone..." and we hear a slow short version of the DW theme.

Anyway for this story, it ends on a cliffhanger and listen past the end theme music as there are more scenes or rather one more scene.

All in all a sensitive story, well written, with no easy answers and death everywhere but some really well drawn characters...

- Ian 21                 - Zoe 16              - Barbara 4         - Donna 11 (-2)
     The Brigadier 25 (+1)-
    Jo Grant 15       - Victoria 4
    - Sarah Jane 22
    Harry 22              - Jamie 25            Leela 20
    __________________________________________________________________________

12: Romana I        13. Tegan
    18. Liz                   19. Nyssa               20. Captain Jack     21. K9
    26. Turlough           27. Romana II
    28. Mickey            29: Adric
    31: Grace               32: Dodo              33: Mel

• Gallifrey 2010 - Blackjack 21 Changes Date One Week Later   7 years 44 weeks ago

What was a booking error has turned out to be a massive good thing for me.

I can make Gallifrey this year! I'm leaving for the UK after the 20th Feb, so I can in all intensive purposes swing by LA before making my way to the UK.

I'm really really going to attempt to make it to Gally 21.

Wish me luck boys! And hopefully see you there ^_^

- Ian 21 (+1)        - Zoe 16              - Barbara 4         - Donna 13
     The Brigadier 24   -
    Jo Grant 15 (-2)  - Victoria 4
    - Sarah Jane 22
    Harry 22              - Jamie 25            Leela 20
    __________________________________________________________________________

12: Romana I        13. Tegan
    18. Liz                   19. Nyssa               20. Captain Jack     21. K9
    26. Turlough           27. Romana II
    28. Mickey            29: Adric
    31: Grace               32: Dodo              33: Mel

• THE FIVE DOCTORS   7 years 44 weeks ago

Okay that annoying horn sounding off is really starting to annoy me big time. Rassilon is a bit of a let down and his voice embarassing. Borusa being the traitor was surprising but it makes sense from what we've seen of the man in the past, for the most part. It's nice to see the Doctors all mingling in the scene and gratifiying to see the Brig punch out the Master. It might have been nice but maybe repetitious to have Susan talk with Sarah and/or Tegan. What chat there was was funny and interesting ("You as well..."" with the Brig getting most of the best lines. The Jamie Zoey thing was embarassingly played out. The rest was okay and in all this story was a fitting celebration of DW, perhaps the last really good celebration and until SIRENS OF TIME, the last good meeting of Doctors... I also like the melding of the old theme with the new theme, it works well.

• Tom Baker is back as the Doctor!!!!!   7 years 44 weeks ago

Ever since I first discovered John Culshaw's amazing impressions of Tom Baker on Dead Ringers, I've thought it would be great if he were to do a few Big Finish productions.  I'd certainly prefer the real thing, but until now that's looked like an impossibility.

- Ian 20                 - Zoe 16              - Barbara 4         - Donna 13
     The Brigadier 24   -
    Jo Grant 17        - Victoria 4 (-2)
    - Sarah Jane 22
    Harry 22              - Jamie 25 (+1)    Leela 20
    __________________________________________________________________________

12: Romana I        13. Tegan
    18. Liz                   19. Nyssa               20. Captain Jack     21. K9
    26. Turlough           27. Romana II
    28. Mickey            29: Adric
    31: Grace               32: Dodo              33: Mel

'One small vblog for a man, one giant entertainment for mankind'

I've now been doing these vblogs for 1 year! Blimey!

Slightly dis-organised as I've been watching the British Open Golf :-)

Doctor Who included - 'Revelation of the Daleks' DVD (with a different Sixth Doctor! Sorry Ian)

- Ian 20                 - Zoe 16              - Barbara 4         - Donna 13 (-2)
     The Brigadier 24   -
    Jo Grant 17   - Victoria 6
    - Sarah Jane 22
    Harry 21 (+1)       - Jamie 24           Leela 20
    __________________________________________________________________________

12: Romana I        13. Tegan
    18. Liz                   19. Nyssa               20. Captain Jack     21. K9
    26. Turlough           27. Romana II
    28. Mickey            29: Adric
    31: Grace               32: Dodo              33: Mel

• Tom Baker is back as the Doctor!!!!!   7 years 44 weeks ago

I've heard that they are to be full-cast dramas - can't wait! Surprised

I have this image of Tom recording round-the-clock to catch up with the output of the other Doctors!! Laughing  (Yes, I know that will never happen! Tongue out

When I think of the time that's been wasted!!! CryFrown

- Ian 20 (+1)          - Zoe 16              - Barbara 4         - Donna 15 (-2)
     The Brigadier 24   -

12: Romana I        13. Tegan
    18. Liz                   19. Nyssa               20. Captain Jack     21. K9
    26. Turlough           27. Romana II
    28. Mickey            29: Adric
    31: Grace               32: Dodo              33: Mel

• Warehouse 13   7 years 44 weeks ago

I've watched both episodes that have been out on SciFi - sory, SyFy.  It's not bad. It's like sugar candy for the brain, you get a bit of enjoyment, but perhaps no real fulfillmet and you've forgotten about it as soon as it's over.

Warehouse 13 runs the typical SciFi/SyFy hour program checklist:  psuedo science, cute girl, cute boy, one has special senses/abilities and one is really smart, add a kooky guy and some comedic writing and you've got either the last six seasons of Stargate SG-1, Eureka, The Invisible Man, Warehouse 13, and myriad others they've tried throughout the years.

I've watched them all, and pretty much enjoy them for the one shot that they are.  So, if you find you've got an hour  you need to fill this summer, I'd try it.

• The Eleven Doctors Special for Children In Need?   7 years 44 weeks ago

Well it will be great to see these doctors again. I still remember the series in my older days in which they launched an eating disorder treatment program. It was a great series and I expect the remake to be even better.

• [SPOILERS!] Epi 5 'Day Five'   7 years 44 weeks ago

Let me begin by saying I like Torchwood as a whole.  The first season wasn't that great, but it obviously held alot of potential.  It improved alot in season two, and began to show some of it's promise.  I was really looking forward to Children of Earth.  The way I saw it, this was the show's chance to really shine.  The first few days of Children of Earth were great, and seemed to be going somewhere interesting.  In the end, it completely fell apart for me.  My biggest problem with Children of Earth wasn't the deaths of Ianto or Jack's grandson, Jack running away, or any of the other issues most others who didn't like it seem to have.  It was the huge plotholes that were never addressed and made no sense that killed it for me.

1- Human Crackpipes.  To begin with, how did this situation come to pass in the first place?  A race of aliens stumbles across the Earth in the sixties, sees some human children and think to themselves, "Wow, I'd really like to create a complicated symbiosis rig to hook these things up to my body chemistry.  I'll bet that could get me nicely toasted."  The premise itself defies explanation, which is why we never get one.  All it explains is why they vomit on a regular basis.

2- A dozen to millions.  Frobisher and the rest of the senior British government are fully aware when the demand for the children comes that this business all started with only twelve children (only eleven as it turns out) forty years ago.  Now these guys are back (after promising never to return), and they want 10% of the kids of the world.  That's an incredibly drastic increase in demand.  The subject never once comes up that these aliens are just going to come back again soon wanting every child on the planet.  These are drug addicts we're talking about here.  The fact that taking every child on the planet would mean shrinking returns later on wouldn't register with them.  That's not how the mind of an addict works, alien or not.

3- Huge Conspiracies.  This conspiracy to hide the truth was fairly believeable on day one.  Hardly anyone knew the truth.  By day four, hundreds of people are aware that the aliens are demanding the Children of Earth.  Despite this, there is never a news leak.  The US government can't even think about starting a small project without a leak showing up on the Drudge Report, yet they somehow manage to keep a lid on a systematic round-up of thousands of children throughout the country by the army?  Not many people know the whole truth, but enough people know enough tiny piceces of the puzzle to blow the lid off the threat to the public.  Somebody always talks.  This doesn't even take into account that fact that every nation on the planet is being held responsible for their own child roundups.  Does anyone think for a second that Iran, Somalia or Zimbabwe would even try to round up their children in a day?  They don't even have the resources to attempt such a logistical feat.

4- Frobisher's kids.  The PM want's Frobisher to smile for the cameras as his children are carted off to be human crack pipes.  Where does this even begin to make sense?  On the whole, people are sheep.  If the government tells them to send their kids to school to be innoculated, that's precisely what most of them are going to do.  Seeing some government stooge on the news isn't going to sway anyone who has doubts.  If anything, it would only reinforce their suspicions.  The fact that one government bureaucrat's family was also taken by the aliens isn't going to console me on the loss of my child one bit, either.  This whole sub-plot was done just to show how dark and extreme they could take things.

It breaks my heart to think that this may be how Torchwood comes to an end as a TV series.  Despite my ultimate dislike for Children of Earth, I still firmly believe that Torchwood continues to have the potential to be a fantastic series.  Despite it all, I live in hope..

• HARRY POTTER 6 (spoilers)   7 years 44 weeks ago

Thanks. I read a lot, too, but when I"m not interested in where a book takes me, I lose interest in finishing a book. I never got through book 2...I left it when the gnomes were being caught by the Weasley's at their house during a summer break I think it was. Yet I read all the Alex Rider books in the span of a month...

How do you rate Doctor Who: Thin Ice? (5=Fantastic)