• [SPOILERS!] Epi 5 'Day Five'   5 years 19 weeks ago

One thing this reminded me of, retrospectively, is when my college professor told us that he passed all his students with an A during the Vietnam draft because the government decided that anyone who did not get As and lagged down in the grades, would get drafted, a possible deatt sentence. Bless his heart. He was a great world history teacher, too.

- Ian 16             - Zoe 14            - Romana I 9          - Barbara 9
    - Vicki 5            - The Brigadier 22
    - Stephen 4
    - Jo Grant 20       - Tegan 3
             - Victoria 8

- Sarah Jane 20(+1)
    - Ben 5       Harry 18                - Jamie 21
    Leela 18

__________________________________________________________________________

17: Polly 0(-2)

18. Liz                   19. Nyssa               20. Captain Jack     21. K9
    22. Rose                23. Peri                  24. Ace                 25. Martha
    26. Turlough           27. Romana II
    28. Mickey            29: Adric
    31: Grace               32: Dodo              33: Mel

• [SPOILERS!] Epi 5 'Day Five'   5 years 19 weeks ago

Rather than thinking of him as a coward, I thought that it underlined how isolated he felt.  He finally knew how expendable he was.  He was totally hemmed in.  He'd been given orders to carry out and he'd followed them to the letter all his life.  He'd made tough decisions (not all of them correct) but he'd "done his duty" in the name of serving "Queen and Country".  Then at the end of it - with the situation rapidly spiralling out of control - he was told to hand over his family in order to perpetuate the lie that his superiors had created...and all in the name of saving their own necks once the crisis was over.  He began to question the rightness of what he had done and realised that, when push comes to shove, his people weren't interested in doing the right thing but about doing whatever they could get away with and covering their own arses.

I imagine that, with an ultimatum to go on television and show everyone that he was also handing his kids over for innoculation, there would have come an armed escort to make sure he went through with it.  They probably wouldn't trust him enough to make a live broadcast just in case he had decided to go public with the truth.  Perhaps just a pre-record of him kissing the children before they get on board the coaches.  Then what does he do?  How does he look his wife in the face again if he gives up the kids?  Even if she never finds out the truth, HE knows,

So, rather than submit them to the endless suffering they'll undergo.  He decides to go out rather than down.

The ironic thing is, if he'd just stalled it a bit longer or even gone along with the plan, they'd all have survived when Captain Jack took the decision to sacrifice his own grandson.

This was ultimately a horrible story.  It was brilliant and compelling and one of the best things I've seen on TV in a long time but it's left me rather in the same way that the film Trainspotting did.  It's a fantastic film but I've never been able to watch it more than once because it was so bleak and there were so many moments in there that I remember to vividly that it really wouldn't do it justice to see them again without the "oh my God" factor that seeing them for the first time brings.

P,S,  I am glad they decided to give Frobisher a makeover and get rid of the flippers and beak in this story. Wink

Did Ben actually say that?

Also: I vote that we resserect Adric from death, something the 5th Doctor wouldn't do

• TERMINUS   5 years 19 weeks ago

Oh dear, it's all starting to look like a bad 80s video or worse, the cheapie but entertaining slow moving THE STARLOST. If any DW looked really cheap, this is it. I guess it's the costumes and some of the sets as some of the sets look okay. Still, there are not bad cso as in THE STARLOST and the drone bots look menacing and function well. Nyssa pulls her skirt off for no real reason saying she feels as if she's about to explode. On the plus side, the exploits of Tegan and Turlough in the vents under the floor are...well, when I first saw this I thought of it as filler and maybe it is, to keep them busy doing something but to be honest, I find cramped up spaces scary, scarier than any monsters. I once helped wire a church up and crawled through floorboards and in the dark and it was even worse than this.

The sterilzation process and the disease are also scary, made less so here, maybe not to scare kids? I don't know but it all seems to slow down a bit. And the Vanir: Goth Fashion Victims if there can be such a thing. The Center of the Universe? Indeed. And as for the Garm: maybe it if was presented in the dark it could have been atmospheric and if its arrival were scripted and filmed in such a way as to be dramatic...it could have been a real event. Yet here, one of the Vanir just calls it into service and it just lumbers into the light...no real drama, no real tension, no real atmosphere. And it looks daft.

Still, here we don't have monsters and warriors in a cliche mode: the lazars are not evil, just victims, the Vanir are not warriors of the real class but just carriers and toters as one of them says something similar, Olvir is afraid of stuff and even leaves Nyssa to be taken off, Nyssa shows some gumption for once and tries to get away by hitting a Vanir! And the Garm isn't a menacing slobbering ALIEN like monster. As in most of the stories this season, the menace isn't usual. Omega just wanted to get back to his world (for revenge, true), Mawdyrn and his peeps just wanted to die, and who knows what the Mara wanted but it killed no one in SNAKEDANCE. Body horror is in this season too: lazars and disease and Nyssa getting sick; Omega's cornflaking falling apart skin, the snake on the arm, Mawdryn's mutation and brain showing and scars on his face bleeding...yeech, pretty gross and scary.

All in all 2 is not terrible, it just looks like it is and could have been a bit more effective in some scenes...

• [SPOILERS!] Epi 5 'Day Five'   5 years 19 weeks ago

Remember the Doctor's choice in Fires of P - 20,000 to save the world.

And Donna helped him press the button.

daveac

• Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 155   5 years 19 weeks ago

Hi James, Louis and Ken

I have been listening to your podcast for 2 years now and find the new website wonderful.  Thanks for all of your time and effort to give us the scoop on all things Whovian.

I enjoyed your review of Power of the Daleks - it has spurred me to seek out the audio version and sit back and let my imagination fill in all the gaps between the telesnaps.

I also enjoyed your discussion about Jamie as one of Dr. Who's best companions.  Fraser Hines never seems to put in a bad performance and his both innocence to all things technological coupled with a rough and tumble attitude make him a very fun companion to watch.  I especially thought it was fun while watching the Kroton's in the scene where Jamie was aiding the resident scientist in making acid - it had the makings of a Monty Python or Saturday Night Live Sketch.  Furthermore, when Fraser returned to the program in 'The Two Doctors' his energy for the show hadn't skipped a beat and hope that if indeed he is invited to return to the current Dr. Who - he would put in an equally impressive performance.  You mentioned how popular Jamie is vs. the other companions....please check out the current Hurt/Heal: The Companions string that several of us are voting each day on who our favorite and least favorite companions are.  You can find it in the General section of the Forums.

Thanks again, and I look forward to Episode 156.

Mr. Magister

- Ian 16             - Zoe 14            - Romana I 9          - Barbara 9 (-2)
    - Vicki 5            - The Brigadier 22
    - Stephen 4
    - Jo Grant 20       - Tegan 3
             - Victoria 8
    - Polly 1
    - Sarah Jane 19
    - Ben 5 (+1)      Harry 18                - Jamie 21
    Leela 18

__________________________________________________________________________

18. Liz                   19. Nyssa               20. Captain Jack     21. K9
    26. Turlough           27. Romana II
    28. Mickey            29: Adric
    31: Grace               32: Dodo              33: Mel

• [SPOILERS!] Epi 5 'Day Five'   5 years 19 weeks ago

Despite what "Spiked" says about UK science fiction, the Brits can do it and often do it right.

The problem we have over here is that we don't seem to apperictae our own television.  We are unendated with Reality and US shows, which is fine but most of it costs our 'networks' lots of money, so investment on homegrown shows suffer and the shows that are imported are only on a par with most of our own stuff anyway.  I mean Channel 4 famously paid £100m to show 3 years worth of Friends and ER, need I say more!  Any decent homemade drama is labelled 'crap' by most people because it hasn't got a massive hype, budget and American accents!  Sounds strange but it's what i'm told!

• [SPOILERS!] Epi 5 'Day Five'   5 years 19 weeks ago

Essentially he was a coward. Dispate what his long-time work companion says, he was no hero. I thought he was taking the gun to PROTECT his family. Go down fighting!... but unfortunately he was a worm.

Too bad his wife couldn't stuggle to get the gun (perhaps do him in during the process) and save her children.

Good points and I thought that the directing on that scene was wonderful (is it right it use that word?), the way he somberly went into the room, and all we could see was his back and his family in front of him, until he shut the door and their lives were over.  The scene could have told you many things about the man and that's the whole point.  Superb stuff!

Just goes to show how good the previous two series' of Torchwoood could have been!

And on the subject of the unexpected ending - I think it makes a refreshing change.  Too many shows have 'happy endings', when we all know that life isn't like that.  take out the aliens and you could identify many things in everyday life with this series.

If CoE goes down half as well in the US as it's done in the UK, then we're on to a winner!  I'm just hoping that the people in charge don't 'jump ship', this series has proven that the British can do fantasic sci-fi drama and with more investment, we could be on the verge of another golden age of British sci-fi!

• 'Wet' Your Appetite for The Waters of Mars   5 years 19 weeks ago

Thanks Troy. I should had linked the article to your posting in the forum. My apologies.

• [SPOILERS!] Epi 5 'Day Five'   5 years 19 weeks ago

Maybe I'm just soft, but I like my endings when they get the girl, kill the baddies and save the entire planet. That clearly wasnt the case here.

If this was an American mini-series, that is exactly what we most likely would had gotten. An ending where everyone wins and there are no losses or consequence.

Look at what studios did with Blade Runner after previewing it to test audiences, they forced Ridley Scott (a Brit, by the way) to come back and re-do the ending to make it end on a happier note for the original theatrical release. Not all endings end with the heroes getting gold medals (except the Wookiee) in a grand ceremony, sometimes they end with the hero getting his hand cut off and another frozen and sent to Jabba the Hutt.

• [SPOILERS!] Epi 5 'Day Five'   5 years 19 weeks ago

Also why couldn't Frobisher just take his family and drive away somewhere

• Warehouse 13   5 years 19 weeks ago

I was avoiding it because I'm tired of the BONES/X FILES thing. Still, I bet it was good because FRINGE is pretty good despite it being this decades' X FILES. Yet I dn't know, I wish some of these shows would find a new angle or something.

• [SPOILERS!] Epi 5 'Day Five'   5 years 19 weeks ago

I'm still shocked, I still can't believe what Jack did.  Also why couldn't Frobisher just take his family and drive away somewhere>  Just goes to show that unhappy endings are sometimes the best.

Wonderful piece of Sci-fi, just hope we get to see more.

• [SPOILERS!] Epi 5 'Day Five'   5 years 19 weeks ago

It was bloody wonderful!

• London Film and Comic Comic Con - 18/19 July - Lot's of Doctor Who Guests!   5 years 19 weeks ago

P.S I'll try my best to knock some feedback together Louis!

Fantastic! No pressure, but we will be waiting for what you have to say with baited breath (we should see a Doctor about that... a Doctor! (sorry))... but no pressure of course! Wink

- Ian 16             - Zoe 14            - Romana I 9          - Barbara 11
    - Vicki 5 (+1)     - The Brigadier 22
    - Stephen 4
    - Jo Grant 20       - Tegan 3
             - Victoria 8
    - Polly 1
    - Sarah Jane 19
    - Ben 4 (-2)      Harry 18                - Jamie 21
    Leela 18

__________________________________________________________________________

18. Liz                   19. Nyssa               20. Captain Jack     21. K9
    26. Turlough           27. Romana II
    28. Mickey            29: Adric
    31: Grace               32: Dodo              33: Mel

I didnt know about this!

I'll have to check it out..............

• The Best Series Ever Made   5 years 19 weeks ago

Chase - I started to read through the list, and it just kept going and going and going and going!!

Surprised

• [SPOILERS!] Epi 5 'Day Five'   5 years 19 weeks ago

I need to watch it again.

It certainly didnt shy away from the tough stuff!!!

I'm not saying I didnt like it..............

• Forum rich text edit bug?   5 years 19 weeks ago

Was it an original post (i.e. a new post starting a thread like the one just created with your message above) or was a it comment to existing post?

- Ian 16             - Zoe 14            - Romana I 9          - Barbara 11
    - Vicki 4           - The Brigadier 22    - Stephen 4 (+1)
    - Jo Grant 20       - Tegan 3
             - Victoria 8
    - Polly 1 (-2)
    - Sarah Jane 19
    - Ben 6            Harry 18                - Jamie 21
    Leela 18

__________________________________________________________________________

18. Liz                   19. Nyssa               20. Captain Jack     21. K9
    26. Turlough           27. Romana II
    28. Mickey            29: Adric
    31: Grace               32: Dodo              33: Mel

- Ian 16             - Zoe 14            - Romana I 9          - Barbara 11
    - Vicki 4      - The Brigadier 22 (+1)   - Stephen 3 (-2)
    - Jo Grant 20       - Tegan 3
             - Victoria 8
    - Polly 3
    - Sarah Jane 19
    - Ben 6            Harry 18                - Jamie 21
    Leela 18

__________________________________________________________________________

18. Liz                   19. Nyssa               20. Captain Jack     21. K9
    26. Turlough           27. Romana II
    28. Mickey            29: Adric
    31: Grace               32: Dodo              33: Mel

I w(h)ine after a vblog alien abduction

How do you rate Doctor Who: Death in Heaven? (5=Fantastic)