• [SPOILERS!] Epi 5 'Day Five'   6 years 7 weeks ago

Absolutley ditto about Eve Myles - in a program full of stand out performances (Frobisher, Jack's Daughter, Ianto etc), I thought she was top of the tree.

The husband/wife banter was brilliant (and I've always thought that about those two - especially when you throw Jack into the mix).

• Ramble With Russel Podcast Updates   6 years 7 weeks ago

It's another on the road edition of my podcast as I give you the first part of my coverage of Polaris 23 that took place from July 10 - 12 at the Sheraton Parkway Hotel in Markham.  On this week's episode you get my observations of the event along with talk with costume fans of Star Wars and Star Trek, a short exclusive talk with actor Michael Hogan from Battlestar Galactica, James |Armstrong from the upcoming Fan Expo convention  and with actor/writer Michael Mohanen who has appeared in Star Trek Voyager and written the upcoming movie Sandstorm.  Music for this week is from the song Black Hole by Victor Stellar and can be found at www.podsafeaudio.com.

Coming up next week : Lord Vader makes an appearance, comic book artist Alex Milne, Strak Trek trivia master Lou Israel, Adam Smith from Repo : The Genetic Opera, costumed conventioner and much more

And can be found at http://ramblingruss.libsyn.com

Russel

• [SPOILERS!] Epi 5 'Day Five'   6 years 7 weeks ago

I thought this was some of the best British television I have seen in a very long time. I feel that Torchwood is much improved without Tosh and Owen who I always felt were either too weak or unlikeable. These 5 episodes were confident, exciting, very dark and totally brilliant. I, for one, like an unhappy ending from time to time and I was not disappointed by this!

Frobishers act was amazingly well written and is all the more tragic when you consider the fact that if he had waited all would have been well. I have to say though, that if I was in his shoes I may well have considered doing the same. I would not want my child to end up being a chemical fix for some giant, Macra like alien! I just hope I am never in a similar situation!

I also thought that it was extremely brave of the writers to have Jack sacrifice his Grandson (in effect doing exactly what the Government were doing but on a lesser scale and in order to destroy the "456" instead of capitulating to them). It showed that Jack could make the extremely difficult decisions when he has to whilst at the same time showing that he is a very different kind of hero compared to The Doctor! The Doctor would never have made such a sacrifice (how many times has a foe threatened to kill a friend or companion of The Doctor's if he didn't capitulate), it enhances the magic of his character as he would have found another way and this sets him apart from Jack in a very interesting way!

As for Ianto, I was very surprised that they killed him off so soon after Owen and Tosh but as has been established, working for Torchwood is extremely hazardous (how many time has Jack been killed now?) but the scene was handled very well and once again, kudos must go to Eve Myles for her unbelievable performance. She is an extremely accomplished actress and I really hope we see more of Gwen Cooper in the future.

Was it faultless, nothing ever is, there are plot holes (what stops another member of the "456" coming back and trying again?), some themes were very similar to Doctor Who (the 1965 child with the "456" looked very much like the inside of the Toclaphane in TLOTT and felt very similar) but what COE did very well was bring philosophy into the drama. The questions raised were straight out of and A Level philosophical class on ethics and this discussion was handled delicately and intelligently and gave no answers to the questions it raised... only asked more questions which is the sign of brilliant philosophy (just ask Socrates).

Happy endings are all too common, dark and murky ones are rare and so should be treasured but everything does end, rather like this post... But what of Torchwood, was Gwen and Jacks goodbye the end of Torchwood forever? I hope not, for the series has just become good (nay, excellent) and I would like to see more! I suspect it will be back in one form or another, with or without RTD... I just hope we don't have to wait too long!!!

• [SPOILERS!] Epi 5 'Day Five'   6 years 7 weeks ago

What exactly was the point of this post, Chase? It is badly written, spiteful, lacking in wit, highly negative (as per usual), lacking in respect for the people who spent a lot of effort producing the show and just makes you look like an over emotional Doctor Who fanboy lunatic! It really does you no favours, you know, and is nowhere near as clever as you think it is. What is frustrating about you is that occasionally your posts hint that you have something relevant to say but then you blow it with your overly negative and repetative rants! The only reason you could possibly have for writing this particular bit of nonsense is either to upset the people who enjoyed the story; because you have some serious emotional issues (in order to get so upset by a television programme there must be something wrong) or because you just like to wind people up! If it is the former can you please stop it, if it is the second reason can you go and get some help and if it is the latter then the joke is running a little thin!

You are extremely good (or rather "keen" is a better word) at criticising things you dislike... can I suggest to you that you learn to take some of the criticisms continually levelled at you and maybe change the style of your posts. I really find that reading the forums starts to become a chore when I see you have posted. I really want to value your opinions and I wouldn't for a second suggest you stop posting but why don't you just tweak your style and become a little more accessible and less offensive? We are literate people here who will understand your negative views if you chose to be a little more subtle. You don't need to hammer home your points of view with a metaphorical sledgehammer!

• [SPOILERS!] Epi 5 'Day Five'   6 years 7 weeks ago

'Torchwood: Children of Earth' ended it's run with a viewing audience of 5.8 million - almost as much from the first episode. A high viewing audience indeed.

Since I haven't seen all the episodes yet I'll just leave things be, but I will leave this link on a story about the ratings for the final episode.:

With ratings that high - they clearly must be doing something right!

• 'Wet' Your Appetite for The Waters of Mars   6 years 7 weeks ago

No problem! Just so we have it out there.

Like I missed your stories a couple of weeks ago - you missed mine. We're just going through some adjusting to this new site. We all are still suffering from a few 'teething problems'.

Troy

BTW: Isn't the clip creepy!Surprised

• Doctor Who: Radio Free Skaro   6 years 7 weeks ago

A new Radio Free Skaro episode!:

In a stunning, nay flabbergasting turn of events, the Torchwood: Children of Earth miniseries turned out to be not only a fantastic five days of entertainment but possibly one of the best things on television thus far this year. A special 4 person quorum of the RFS council was called to deal with this turn of events, with special Torchwood representative Katrina joining the fun. But that’s not all! The Three Who Rule Plus One also threw in a “Bad Wolf” commentary…but of course such good fortune meant the beast Cracklor also paid a visit. Still, an epic-length RFS for an epic entry in the Doctor Who canon.

Check out the site, or get the:

Direct download

Check
    http://www.radiofreeskaro.com for your Radio Free Skaro needs!

iTunes users can subscribe at
    here.

• [SPOILERS!] Epi 5 'Day Five'   6 years 7 weeks ago

Seriously, you must live only to make people angry.

Please follow this advice to spare yourself and myself alot of pain.

IF YOU DON'T LIKE TORCHWOOD... DON'T WATCH IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Please stop saying such horrible horrible (and almost always unconstructive) things about a show that I and many others love.

Especially, I take offense to you making a direct jab at me and my post by typing "Goodbye Torchwood, I hated you" I found that very offensive and sometimes I wonder why you're still on this forum.

I don't know why I'm caring so much, why I read your posts and why I'm even replying right now.  You upset me... but I guess I just, like you, shouldn't care anymore.
    Rage post all you want, just don't take a jab at me, I sure won't be reading your posts ever again, all it does is make me angry, and that's not why I come to this forum.

- Ian 16             - Zoe 14             - Romana I 9          - Barbara 10
         - The Brigadier 23 (+1)
    - Stephen 4
    - Jo Grant 20      - Tegan 1
        - Victoria 8
    - Sarah Jane 21
    - Ben 1              Harry 18            - Jamie 23              Leela 18
    __________________________________________________________________________

16. Vicki 0 (-2)       17: Polly
    18. Liz                   19. Nyssa               20. Captain Jack     21. K9
    22. Rose                23. Peri                  24. Ace                 25. Martha
    26. Turlough           27. Romana II

17: Polly
    18. Liz                   19. Nyssa               20. Captain Jack     21. K9
    26. Turlough           27. Romana II
    28. Mickey            29: Adric
    31: Grace               32: Dodo              33: Mel

• [SPOILERS!] Epi 5 'Day Five'   6 years 7 weeks ago

I personally thought it was fantastic! Yeah it was dark, depressing, disturbing in the end, but WOW! I'm going to watch it again tonight with some friends who haven't seen it yet, so that should be interesting. I thought it was one of the best series of any television drama in recent years. I loved series two as well, but this? This was incredible, engaging, challenging, upsetting, disturbing, and over all entertaining for me. There were hard script decisions made on this series, and I'm glad they had the balls to make them. If nothing else at least it will be memorable. You can't have a drama series without drama, and this had it in spades.

If you didn't like it, cool. Everybody has different tastes. I wasn't a big fan of the new Battlestar series, so I didn't watch it. I didn't go on message boards and forums complaining about it after every episode. We don't need to hear the same complaints in every post, on every forum. Move. On. Seriously. Go watch something else.

- Ian 16             - Zoe 14            - Romana I 9          - Barbara 10
    - Donna 16 (+1)
    - Vicki 1            - The Brigadier 22
    - Stephen 4
    - Jo Grant 20       - Tegan 1 (-2)
       - Victoria 8
    - Sarah Jane 20
    - Ben 3               Harry 18         - Jamie 23              Leela 18
    __________________________________________________________________________

17: Polly
    18. Liz                   19. Nyssa               20. Captain Jack     21. K9
    26. Turlough           27. Romana II
    28. Mickey            29: Adric
    31: Grace               32: Dodo              33: Mel

• A message to the fanbase from Torchwood CoE Day Three writer, James Moran   6 years 7 weeks ago

Oh, and James' episode was my favorite of the week!

... all the threats and hate-speak. It's a fictional TV show people. If you can't understand that, you have problems. Sure, some of the things that happened made me upset, but to me that's what made it such a great season. The fact that it was challenging, engaging, and even upsetting shows how great the scripts were, to me at least.

• ENLIGHTENMENT   6 years 7 weeks ago

Another bloody awesome episode. Turlough continues to impress after last ep even if here, he's a bit of a cowardly villain again, turning in Jackson and the mutiny plot. He's at last taking a stand against the Black Guardian, even if it is suicide. Striker and his officiers are bloody good "villains" who are not villains and Eternals who are bored (not a new idea in general but still interestingly plotted out here) are a new idea to DW which is full of savaging invading monsters and powerful energy beings etc. The effects are adequate. Mariner remains to be a great ally/alien being. The callousness of the death of the humans as felt by Striker and Mariner is interesting. Only the Black Guardian gets a bad scene and that's short and his laughter is just laughable, "Nyah nyah nyah,"  he says and vanishes. But even he can't ruin this story. The deck sequences are well done and the cliffhanger exicting. What more is there to say? Davison is marvelous as he tells off Striker, the Venus episode is well done, the ship exploding adding another layer to the mystery, and the prize not yet known. Added to that the taking of the TARDIS and this Doctor once again underestimating his adversary...and another sterling performance by Janet Fielding...she's just wonderful in this and seeing this, I wish she could continue well into the future. It's amazing how good she is and good she makes Tegan. Now that Nyssa's gone, the regulars are just acting up a storm. Truly well done.

• [SPOILERS!] Epi 5 'Day Five'   6 years 7 weeks ago

Thanks.  This is what I was trying to say, but your words are much more elloquent.

Whether I liked how things turned out or not, I thought the story was brilliant and certainly kept me interested.

I do continue to worry about fans of anything making violent statements to those involved in the process, whehter its writers of a TV show or the manager/owner/coach of a sports team.  Recently, the regents of the University of North Dakota voted to change their mascot.  Most received personal, violent threats regarding this action.

• [SPOILERS!] Epi 5 'Day Five'   6 years 7 weeks ago

I never said that happy endings do not have a place. Of course they do. It would be dreadful if every dramatized story ended the same way, be it positive or negative.

While Torchwood is a spin off of Doctor Who, it is not Doctor Who, it is Torchwood. It was always meant to be post-watershed show aimed at an adult audience. While both are science fiction series and live in the same universe with cross-over characters, yet they stand on their own with their own identities and as their own shows in their own right.

Much like the case was with the Lou Grant show being a spin-off of the Mary Tyler Moore Show (or Trapper John, M.D. being a spin-off of M*A*S*H). Both shows centered around characters in the news business (or medicine). One character/actor starred in both series. Though they are very different shows. While I am sure it shared some of the same audience, I am also sure that some of their respective audience was unique to their respective series. The same could be said about Torchwood and Doctor Who as well. Or for that matter, The Sarah Jane Adventures and Doctor Who.

So I disagree, a dark ending for Torchwood is quite appropriate for Torchwood. Hell, it would be quite appropriate for Doctor Who as well at times. Take it from me, life is not full of happy endings all the time. There is no reason why that can't be reflected at times on "family television" as well. I would say perhaps it doesn't happen often enough on Doctor Who, though it does happen from time to time with stories such as Earthshock and The Girl in the Fireplace for example.

In life, there will be times when choices will have to be made which comes down to choosing the lesser of two or more "evils" sometimes. Do you keep your family member on life support, unresponsive with a horrible quality of life or do you agree not to resuscitate them? Sometimes there are no happy endings, just endings. Or endings that are less painful than others.

In the end, television and film for me is art and escapism. I wouldn't want every story to be dark, but at the same time, it can't all be living happily ever after all the time either. The heroes can't always win, where's the drama in that, there has be at sense that we could loose a character, there may be consequences. Torchwood: Children of Earth is an example of that.

I am also not saying that it is impossible to find this in American productions, no at all.. just look at the recent re-imagined Battlestar Galactica, though that could be argued that it was too dark, too often. I got tired watching Jericho for same reason... I want to escape the darkness of my life for sure with the entertainment I choose to digest. But with that said, it can't be all lemonade either.

• [SPOILERS!] Epi 5 'Day Five'   6 years 7 weeks ago

I'm sorry I just have to throw my two cents in on what Frobisher did. I think it's too simple to call him a "bad" or "good" person for what he did. I think it's more accurate to say he was just a man, a human being doing what he thought was best. As viewers I think it's easier to sit back and judge him saying that if only he had fought back his family would have been ok. But he knew nothing about what was going on with Torchwood and Jack at the time. He had just been told point blank to give up his children or they would forciably be taken. Here is a man who knows the resources that can be used to track down those who are running from the government. And with what was going on at the time everyone was desperate to just get rid of the 456 and also cover their own butts. Frobisher was a man backed into a corner and he saw no hope. He didn't want his kids to suffer under the 456 and he saw there was little that could be done if he tried to fight back. Knowing what he did at the time he thought it was the best. So I don't think he is somebody who needs to be judged for what he did but somebody you just need to feel sorry for because of his fate.

Dave,

although your agruement is good, it should be remembered that both Donna and the Doctor knew that Pompei would be destroyed by Vesuvius. The Doctor had already told Donna that they couldn't save the people (help them flee etc). What turned that story on its head was the point that the Doctor had to make the event occur through action. The time line was already established and the alternative was even grimmer.

I hated you.

Thanks for proving me right.

• Russell T Davies In-Route to America; Torchwood Future Uncertain   6 years 7 weeks ago

The notion that the BBC needs to check the ratings is laughable. But then, the way the BBC operates in general is pretty laughable.

• [SPOILERS!] Epi 5 'Day Five'   6 years 7 weeks ago

I agree with you, Louis, that is true. However, STAR WARS did end, the entire three part thing, on  a happy note. And yes, some stories do end horribly and tha'ts okay but TW was relentlessly ending on downers almost every story and that's not okay IMO for me personally. ANd for a spinoff of DW it's most inapprorpriate IMO

• [SPOILERS!] Epi 5 'Day Five'   6 years 7 weeks ago

r u talking TW here? That's probably true for Torchwood ( I do pretty much hate everything about TW) but I don't get more angry about EVERYTHING (again DW wise or TW?) or all and I don't get knickers in a twist at everything....and I don't hate everything "That much"...just TW maybe...

As for DW I've already gone through how much I like vs how much I hate. I like:

all of season 1 except for the second Adam story

all of season 2 except for NEW EARTH

all of season 3 except for DALEKS IN MANHATTAN/part2 AND the last two Master episodes

all of season 4 except for PARTNERS IN CRIME/ STOLEN EARTH/JOURNEY'S END

as for the Xmas specials I only like CHRISTMAS INVASION but all of the others have some good moments with the exception of PLANET OF THE DrEAD. NEXT DOCTOR is pretty bad too but love the opening moments with the xmas feel to it.

I like almost every Sarah Jane Smith episode.

I hate almost all of TW (like the Whale ep though).

Yes I also HATE TIME CRASH and that special done on Barrowman's show

and I hate the crap 2 min skit on that comedy show on SHOWTime, ( can't recall the name of it)

SO yeah I hate alot but I think if you count, I actually like more than I hate

• [SPOILERS!] Epi 5 'Day Five'   6 years 7 weeks ago

Chase why do you even bother?

You seemingly get your knickers in a twist at everything that ever happens, most people either ignore you or fight you, and then you just get more angry about it all!

For god sake - I'm all in favour of opinions and I don't think it's a rule you have to follow the majority of opinions expressed (on the contrary), but when you seemingly hate EVERYTHING so much......

How do you rate Doctor Who: The Brain of Morbius? (5=Fantastic)