• [SPOILERS!] Epi 5 'Day Five'   5 years 40 weeks ago

Don't know quite what to think about this part other than, my god it was grim.
    Call me silly, but I like dark sci fi, but this was well and above dark, especially for Torchwood... and if this is the end of the series, frack, I don't want to end with such a depressing ending.
    I loved Torchwood, I really really did, not for the storylines, because let's face it they were very often bad, but it was the characters that made me love this show.
    I loved all the characters, I had my favourites of course (Jack and Ianto mostly, as well as Rhys, PC Andy and Gwen to some extent) so to have their stories end like this, I feel very very depressed.

Alot of Torchwood fans wish they hadn't seen this series... as brilliant as it was.

I wasn't expecting even a remotely happy ending after Ianto died, but I seriously felt so so bad for Jack in this whole episode and that just looking at him made me want to cry.

First Ianto died (which was essentially his fault), then he had to say goodbye to Gwen (for the first time), sacrifice his grandson, and also essential lose his daughter forever.

It was too too much pain and angst to put on one man, that watching him was painful... but some of that was all down to John Barrowman's performance in this, which was bloody brilliant.

So... I really don't know what to think of this series, it was brilliant, but I'm almost in the camp where I wished I haven't seen it, as a Torchwood fan... it's broken my heart, and it's going to take me a while to get over it.

• Russell T Davies In-Route to America; Torchwood Future Uncertain   5 years 40 weeks ago

Meanwhile Kai Owen (Rhys Williams in Torchwood) has said the following in an article appearing in the Coventry Telegraph (11 July 2009):

"I think anything Russell T Davies does is genius but fans can be assured that Doctor Who has been left in very capable hands."

"As Russell created Torchwood, he will be staying with that, as far as we know."

"Like the fans out there, I cannot wait to see what Steven Moffat and Matt Smith bring to us in the next series of Doctor Who next year."

Source: Torchwood star excited for new Doctor Who - Coventry Telegraph

Why am I suddenly reminded of Monty Python's Holy Grail? All I can see it 'RUN AWAAAAY RUN AWAAAAAY!'

Mind you, I can't blame him.  All those rabid Ianto fans are enough to make you want to cower behind your sofa, without the help of the Cybermen.

• [SPOILERS!] Epi 5 'Day Five'   5 years 40 weeks ago

Euros Lyn did a wonderful job directing Children of Earth. It was consistent and helped to really tie the entire story together. There may have been a few things I may had done differently, but all minor stuff really.

Kudos to him and the production team as a whole.

• [SPOILERS!] Epi 5 'Day Five'   5 years 40 weeks ago

Seeing Captain Jack more fallible, reminds me a bit of when we first met the character in Doctor Who with the 9th Doctor. In a way, they made him too much of a super-hero in Torchwood. Not being able to die, added to that... though after the events of Children of Earth, not dying may seem more of a curse for him now knowing he will have to live with everything he had to do for a very long time to come.

• Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 155   5 years 40 weeks ago

Thanks Mr. Magister! We appreciate your feedback. The HURT/HEAL: The Companions has proven to be a very popular thread with many having fun with it.

There's going to be a bit of delay with episode 156 due to scheduling conflicts recording it. Just a heads up.

• HHGtBSF must review Children of Earth!   5 years 40 weeks ago

Yes! We will be reviewing Torchwood: Children of Earth in our next episode of Hitchhiker's Guide to British Sci-Fi. Hopefully, it will be out soon.. we are still in the process of juggling our schedules to record it.

- Ian 16             - Zoe 14            - Romana I 9          - Barbara 10
    - Vicki 3 (-2)     - The Brigadier 22
    - Stephen 4
    - Jo Grant 20       - Tegan 3
             - Victoria 8
    - Sarah Jane 20
    - Ben 3               Harry 18         - Jamie 22 (+1)       Leela 18
    __________________________________________________________________________

17: Polly
    18. Liz                   19. Nyssa               20. Captain Jack     21. K9
    22. Rose                23. Peri                  24. Ace                 25. Martha
    26. Turlough           27. Romana II
    28. Mickey            29: Adric
    31: Grace               32: Dodo              33: Mel

• [SPOILERS!] Epi 5 'Day Five'   5 years 40 weeks ago

The final set-up in the series reminded me of the 1979 London Weekend Television Quatermass story starring John Mills as the eponomous professor.

Although the story occurred after the downfall of civilization the premis was that young people were drawn towards standing stone circles. These young people were 'in tune' with an off-world alien inteligence. The older generation could not make the connection.

These stone circles had been erected by our ancestors to mark the collecting places used in pre-history. The alien inteligence harvested the young people at these points for their essence. (it was likened to us collecting the glands of certain mammals to make perfume).

Although in COE, it was children rather than 'young people' (i.e. the under 30s) and they were herded to the gathering points as opposed to be drawn to them, it strikes me as a similar plot device. Both can commune with the inteligence the 'harvesting' and involved fire reigning from the sky at given points to consume the youngsters.

The solution in the quatermass story involved Quatermass (and his colleagues) sacrificing themselves by detonating a battlefield nuclear device in one of the stone rings whilst the harvesting was occurring.

Anyone else remember this series, I remeber it making a lasting impact on my 12 year old mind at the original time of broadcast. I rewatched it about 4 years ago on rental from netflix. It was only in the final 2 COE episodes that the parallelness of the stories struck me.

What I was wondering was a) if the 456 can controll the children why didn't they just make them go to the collecting places without adult intervention, or b) just collect them whilst they were at the schools. It seems needless to start negociating with the governments, if they cannot detect the spaceships etc. just take the children from the schools, or better, at Hannah Montana and Jonas Brothers concerts.

Well apart from a few plot holes I enjoyed this greatly and agree with others that it shows what Torchwood could have been. Mainly what series one could have been, since on the whole I thought the second series was vastly superior.

It was very unTorchwood that no 'bonking' or building straddling occurred during COE, the former probably because Owen is no longer with us but there was no excuse for the latter.

Unfortunately, it looks like there will be no more Torchwood: everyone's either dead, 'up the duff' or off-world.  Or should I say "no more  Welsh Torchwood!" Between Julie Gardner and RTD moving to the USA and Jack wanting to ' get away'. I wonder how long until we get Torchwood:LA on our TV sets.

• Tom Baker is back as the Doctor!!!!!   5 years 40 weeks ago

rumor or not, i hope they come out! let's just hope it's not tom baker's home made stories about the 4th doctor getting old and not regenerating!

- Ian 16             - Zoe 14            - Romana I 9          - Barbara 10 (+1)
    - Vicki 5            - The Brigadier 22
    - Stephen 4
    - Jo Grant 20       - Tegan 3
             - Victoria 8
    - Sarah Jane 20
    - Ben 3 (-2)         Harry 18         - Jamie 21              Leela 18
    __________________________________________________________________________

17: Polly
    18. Liz                   19. Nyssa               20. Captain Jack     21. K9
    26. Turlough           27. Romana II
    28. Mickey            29: Adric
    31: Grace               32: Dodo              33: Mel

• Warehouse 13   5 years 40 weeks ago

Well, personally I wasn't that impressed with Fringe. It seemed to be trying too hard to be like X-Files but stranger and it all felt pretty forced to me. I never finished watching the first season.

I'll give this a shot, it sounds like it could be fun. If not, no loss.

• Torchwood 3: Days 1-2 SPOILERS!!!!   5 years 40 weeks ago

Farewell to this dark, disgusting, and dismal show. May it be out of our miseries forever. Lois, who trusted TW, is in a cell for good, charged with espionage because TW are morons who can't stop any alien invasion this huge, say they can and make things worse--or rather she would be in a cell....no thanks to TW she's freed due to the secretary. Jack doesn't even blink as he's taken from his cell. He doens't even think to ask them to free Lois. Frobisher should have killed that bastard PM. The whole show was really his. This is RTD's way of depressing us and it worked.   Sad to say that this is probably how this would go down should, God forbid, this situation actually present itself. This RTD show is so far removed from what DW is, the spirit of it is so destroyed utterly and TW has always been like that...once in a while it would be okay in the DW universe but now...this EDIT is gone hopefully forever. I still stand by my original assessemenst of this crap: like Ray Harryhausen says that instead of looking up at the skies, we're looking down into the sewers strewn with EDIT and trash and gross negativiity.

EDIT - please moderate your posts - daveac

• TERMINUS   5 years 40 weeks ago

3-4

Okay after that horrible TORCHWOOD crap, this is a walk in park, diseases and old men with black skin and red eyes or vica versa...

Finally this Doctor wins one fight and startlingly. Tegan seems, or rather Janet seems to have a cold in some scenes. The BG and Turlough's little spouting is a bore at this point. Kill the bloody Doctor yourself you big dope or leave Turlough alone or kill him or take him over or whatever but get on with it. This subplot would have been best left out entirely. I must admit I don't quite get a lot of what's going on in both these episodes. How does moving around a control in Terminus get the TARDIS door to reappear? How does Turlough know exactly what switch to try? Or doesn't he?

The scenes with the Garm are pretty much all poor. Sutton does a terrible job in her last two episodes, except her leaving scene. That's pretty good., not as emotional as Sarah Jane or Tegan's leavings but not even as good as Leela's but good nevertheless. IMO. Sutton's screaming is awful and her acting as she's chained up terrible. Olvir tries to help and does, making a near mess of things but coming out okay in the end. He even gets Nyssa to trip him and sit on top of him with her bare arms and legs...Nyssa also begs the Vanir to take other Lazars before her because they are sicker. By contrast, Davison is very very good and his Doctor here commanding for once.

The fight sequences are, for this era, or any for that matter, fairly well done. It's what happens around those fight scenes that sucks. For instance, Olvir is done with his fight and turns to find Nyssa gone but the Garm is just a few feet away, carrying her. He screams as if Garm has gone and he can't find him! Nyssa's entire capture, chaining up, and "cure" are all poorly handled. It is as if the direction for these last two eps suddenly changed and got lax...

Search ABOUT TIME for things that don't make sense about this story, ther'e  is a bunch of em. I can add one to that unless I missed something: Unless I'm way wrong, there was no way the Doctor and Kari could know that the box controlled the Garm. They also seem to find out remarkably easy how to destroy all the dangerous wires and stuff on Terminus to prevent a further accident. Maybe something more should have been done and earlier than this by the Doctor? Who knows. The Garm speaks! I forgot about that entirely and as soon as I heard it, I can rememember why I forgot it. It sounds awful. Really this thing sounds and looks like something from  a SID AND MARTY KROFT comedy and not one of the good ones. If there are any. Olvir and Kari seem trapped on the station; Olvir asked her if she had some thotught as to how they were going to get out of here and she says she's got some idea and at first I thought they were going to make for the Tardis but this is never resolved.

Janet Fielding in a thankless role here does well. She's come a long way from the idiot in FOUR TO  DOOMSDAY and in a similar scene here to the one in that she does remarkeablly well in TERMINUS. When she and the Doctor remeet and Nyssa tells him to be nice to her or tell her he's glad to see her, it's pretty funny. Just before that Nyssa says, "I't'll be nice to see Tegan."  The Doctor doesn't seem too sure, "Yes, well, it will be nice to know she's safe..."  Funny. Kari seemed to be his companion for most of these two episodes and indeed the whole story. She's not much of an improvement on Nyssa and not on Tegan. Turlough has some moments here, most of them annoying, repeating, and boring. A few seconds worth of charaterization does elicit some sympathy.

In any event, an uneven story with some really bad scenes in eps 3-4, poorly executed and acted in many spots and explanations not really given. I mean who built Terminus? Where are the Vanir from? The lazars? Radiation cures the disease? And many more questions but again, see ABOUT TIME 5.

And that ending: not sure how I feel about a zoom in on the Black Guardian's mouth saying...for the hundredth time, "Kill the Doctor now!"

• [SPOILERS!] Epi 5 'Day Five'   5 years 40 weeks ago

This is what Torchwood should have been like in series one, or rather, what its promise was. This is what it was originally hyped as; and it has finally lived up to its billing.

• Possible twist at the end of CoE   5 years 40 weeks ago

Can Steve come back to life?

• Torchwood 3: Days 1-2 SPOILERS!!!!   5 years 40 weeks ago

When you could've easily posted your Day 1-2 stuff under the Day 2 thread. Yeah, you just feel the need to stand out on your own. Undecided

You went into this wanting to hate it, and you come out of it hating it. You looked for every excuse to slag on it in the end. Frown

• [SPOILERS!] Epi 5 'Day Five'   5 years 40 weeks ago

If this was an American mini-series, that is exactly what we most likely would had gotten. An ending where everyone wins and there are no losses or consequence.

And if this were Doctor Who, it would've another giant reset button, like with Last of the Time Lords. I loved this mini-series, but it shouldn't take the spin-off to see the best writing, to see the true moral and ethical questions be raised and answered. In short, RTD should've had the balls to do with this with Doctor Who. Alas, he hasn't.

That said, I'll just repeat the various thoughts I've shared with the Torchwood Yahoo Group:

After Day Three: Well, Day One set the bar awfully high, but so far I think the mini-series is holding up well.

There's a good balance with the characters and the story, which is hard to pull off when you've only got the three central characters, our Torchwood crew, but an entire compliment of supporting characters, all of whom are new to the audience.

After Day Five:

Well, I for one will not be hoping for a series 4. Not because I'm disappointed with this ending, but because I COMPLETELY LOVED THIS ENTIRE DAMN MINI-SERIES!

This is far and away RTD's best writing for the Whoniverse. Not only can they not top this, they'd be daft to even try. They've pinnacled with this, and I'm perfectly content with this being the end of Torchwood.

(And no, I wouldn't watch a Captain Jack-less Torchwood anyways.)

On whether this ruined Torchwood & Jack or made them look weak and ineffective:

Honestly, I thought that at times too. Hell, I thought until they actually threw the solution at us that they'd really go through with sacrificing 10% of the children, something they'd never have the gall to do on Doctor Who (see: Big Red Reset Button in Last of the Time Lords).

But in the end, I felt that the manner in which Torchwood was shown really put them at their full potential: no Hub, short on team members and skills, on the run, and at the mercy of everyone being out to get them.

I suppose the argument could be made that we got too much of the supporting characters, but I felt that each of them was really fleshed out and three-dimensional, rather than paper thin as so many characters had been in the previous two series. Or the fact that Owen and Tosh were wasted.

On top of that, it showed that Jack is willing to make sacrifices. He has in the past, and he did it here. He will likely have to do so again down the road. It's a constant reminder of who he is and what he must be; that he must be something the Doctor cannot be

On Jack sacrificing his grandson:
    Yes, he did, knowing full well it was one child (yes, the only one who was conveniently available), or allow 10% of the world's children to be sacrificed. It was, as I said, the choice he was forced to make.

So obviously Jack should've allowed the 10% to die? Then (in something never stated in the series, but should be in the back of everyone's mind) the aliens come back in a few decades and do this all over again, likely for an even greater sacrifice?

On Jack running away:
    Yes, it did. Which shows that it isn't all clouds and bunnies at the end. It shows that Jack is a very flawed person who struggles to cope with what he did. Some people, like the Doctor, manage. Others, like Jack, run.

Oddly enough, I find that makes him no different than the rest of us

Sorry this ends up being so long, but I wanted to get it all out there at once. :)

• [SPOILERS!] Epi 1 'Day One'   5 years 40 weeks ago

I hate to do this, but... seriously, your schtick is tired and worn out, Chase. I've been vocal of my problems with RTD's writing, but the fact that you tear this entire mini-series apart because RTD wrote it when you hadn't even seen it, and your obvious desire to hate it no matter what, it's not needed at all.

• Possible twist at the end of CoE   5 years 40 weeks ago

That whole 'hitch-hiker' thing was quite a dead end with the plot, wasn't it? But it did serve it's purpose: introduce that doctor to Torchwood, to set them up for the attack by special forces and the destruction of the Hub.

• Question about Comic Con San Diego   5 years 40 weeks ago

All tickets for 2009 San Diego Comic-Con are indeed sold out. 4-day passes have been sold out since mid-March or so. They didn't sell out last year until about 2 weeks before the convention, so obviously the recession isn't keeping people from going.

I believe last year was the first year that they no longer sold memberships - either that or the year before - whether single day or 4-day at the door. It is all online now.

• Syfy rebrand of Sci-fi (US)   5 years 40 weeks ago

While I do understand the business reasons behind changing the name, Syfy is god awful.

• Doctor Who Movie   5 years 40 weeks ago

Yeah, I've said it before, and I'll say it again: Tennant and RTD are leaving Who, and that should be the end of it.

I'll be at the DW and TW panels at San Diego, so we'll see if I have the chance to leave some feedback with the Call Box after each panel is finished. Since they're having Q&A sessions, I'm thinking of questions I could also. Also considering the fact that RTD will be signing at the BBC America booth.

Unlike the other individual mentioned in the Podshock, I don't have an iPhone (or any smart phone for that matter) to blog or tweet my thoughts. :)

• [SPOILERS!] Epi 5 'Day Five'   5 years 40 weeks ago

I've watched for a second time, and I did that because I wondered if my initial thoughts on it werent really fair.

I get what you say Louis about happy endings (or not). But Day 5 hasn't really worked for me. I can certainly see it was brilliantly made - but it was just grim. I'm asking myself if I'm wrong to want Torchwood to be heroic in every way, but the sacrificial child?? It's definitely hardboiled ficture (albeit not it's regular genre) in a primetime weekend slot. As I said, maybe I'm just a big softie (or maybe just an American!)

I've not yet worked out how to quote on the new Forum, but Abersoch's Trainspotting comment absolutely hit the nail on the head.

For all the absolute glory of days 1 to 4, for me personally it's going to be bloody difficult to watch this again now.

• [SPOILERS!] Epi 5 'Day Five'   5 years 40 weeks ago

One thing this reminded me of, retrospectively, is when my college professor told us that he passed all his students with an A during the Vietnam draft because the government decided that anyone who did not get As and lagged down in the grades, would get drafted, a possible deatt sentence. Bless his heart. He was a great world history teacher, too.

How do you rate Doctor Who: Deep Breath? (5=Fantastic)