• Mawdryn Undead   5 years 16 weeks ago

3-4

A few notes before the main thing: once again Nyssa and the Doc leave the TARDIS doors open TWICE in this story. Turlough has one moment of greatness here as he is laughably impressed by the Doctor's skill. other than that he's a terror and a terrible companion. The Doc does have his hands full with all that's going on in this story but still, he should have noticed how awful Turlough is. The Brig, Nyssa and Tegan do. The two Brigs meeting and solving the problem for the Doctor is interesting, however conveient. As the Doctor said briefly, perhaps all this is being influenced by some cosmic ---uhh, influence. Certainly not the Black Guardian? I mean he wouldn't want the two Brigs to meet and solve this as he so much as says to Turlough. The BG communcation thing is cracked is it? I guess that meant Turlough thought he would be free of the BG, the BG being pretty effective visually if not as a villain who can't do anything himself, besides blustering to Turlough that he will destroy them all...he really can't. His face in the painting is interesting as is his takeover of Turlough's dream earlier in the story.

I don't really get all the technobabble as to why Nyssa  and Tegan should age and more inappropriately why they should go back to their younger selves. I used to think this rined the story and in fact...it doesn't as I watched it recently. In fact, the entire thing is not as bad as I recall save it does get a bit confusing. The Brig, at one point, is on his way back to Earth in the transmat. I guess he decided to return himself to the ship.

Ahh yes the Ship. When watching this, this time, I thought this is what the TARDIS should look like...all luxury and equipment mixed together rather than just bland white walls with roundels. I mean I like th TARDIS in and out but this ship is really nice and the TARDIS should like more like this inside and bigger than it is now. I also tend to think of the ship from the movie version of HITCHHIKER'S GUIDE TO THE GALAXY, a nice white, comfortable ship.

Anyway the Doc is willing to give up everything for Nyssa and Tegan and even the Brig. He does forget and leave Turlough on the ship, that's ready to blow up...did I miss something or did that auto destruct come on without anyone knowing about it except Tegan later on or were we the viewers given some advance notice of it? If not, that's bad. We should have had some idea and the tension would increase. If yes, then I just didn't hear it or missed it somehow. Either way, too bad Turlough didn't get blown up. I guess they were going for a comparision to EARTHSHOCK's ending.  Even Tegan felt they had to get Turlough off there. But to leave the Brig flat on his back in 1977 on the grass is a bit...stupid for Nyssa and the Doc to do.

I'm not sure there's much more that could have been added to this story but for some reason I felt more drama could have been gotten out of the Brig's nervous breakdown thing or Turlough's just coming on board but maybe not?

Well, watching it this time, I realize the story is not as terrible as I thought it was. There are a alot of badlly placed musical cues. I don't think Mawdryn and his crowed are terrible theats but I'm VERY glad they are not rampaging monsters with laser weapons again nor mutant creatures as the script keeps saying they are and the others say they are. Basically they are mutated humanoids  but not monsters in the DALEK-CYBERMAN sense, thank goodness. For that this is  a nice change of pace and DW should do this kind of thing more often it seems. I guess looking at back then, made me angry that the Doctor would "sacrifice" everything for Tegan and Nyssa and never even batted an eyelash to go back and help Adric off the freighter. Then he takes on Turlough as if he helped a great deal.

The Doc's a jerk.

• 'Wet' Your Appetite for The Waters of Mars   5 years 16 weeks ago

I found the same clip on Digital Spy yesterday.

I put a link to the digital spy story in this thread:

I also mention that the name of the creature is called 'the flood'.

If the youTube link goes, you have this as a back-up.

• Primeval being axed?   5 years 16 weeks ago

I didnt know about this - and (even including it's faults), I thoroughly enjoyed Primeval. That said; I've still not seen the conclusion to series 3.

I remember Mad4plaid once described Primeval as a guilty pleasure. Whilst I absolutely know what she meant, I thought it didnt do a lot of the individual episodes true justice.

Given the fact they killed off the central figure in the last series (and replaced him with Jason Flemying no less), I'm even more surprised.

That's very sad news.

• From the Beginning: The Second Doctor   5 years 16 weeks ago

I'm anxious to know what you think of the HIGHLANDERS. TBH I loved the novel when I read it but I think that the novel took out a lot of the slapstick, the so called humor, and the silliness of it and accentuated the action, the violence and the death. In fact, in the novel I believe Jamie knives the main baddie down by stabbing him in the stomach and then dumping his body over into the water. The tv ep has the baddies dumped in the water and they either drown or swim away, frankly it sounds like they swam away. I also read the archive in the DW magazine, then called Monthly I think and this sounded great.

The reconstruction and the audio were not so much. I can't understand why. THe Doctor goes undercover with much slapstick and perhaps for once for me there is too much slapstick, too much humor and it's all just...sort of there. Both Ben and Polly have much to do but again, none of it is terribly memorable. Ben gets captured along with the Scottish prisoners including Jamie (who really does almost nothing here so I can't imagine why they took him on as a regular companion), gets dunked in the water  as punishment, gets away again...Polly goes through her own comedic storyline forcing a British soldier to do what she wants...none of it is interesting though and I found myself falling asleep watching this. Usually the Recons get me more into a story, this one just didn't.

Overall I found this one the weakest of the Troughton stories without even the so-bad-it's -fun of THE UNDERWATER MENACE (which I like a lot despite what everyone else says about it). Yes, I wanted to like THE HIGHLANDERS more than I did but I really can't. The basic overall set up in ep1 is very, very good and Troughton's Doctor is very unusual in this, with that long hat, a pipe maybe? and his coat and his blatant refusal to see the danger as danger in this. His joy at being reconnected with his companions, especially Polly is someting that can't be contained though and he's really very good. He also makes some points for banging a bad guy's head on a table, although I dn't know if the bad guy is really that bad a guy.

I can't wait to see or rather read what you think of this one. I supposed wiht the location stuff it might be good.

- Ian 16             - Zoe 14                   - Romana I 9          - Barbara 11
    Vicki 4                   - The Brigadier 21     - Stephen 5 (-2)
    - Jo Grant 20 (+1)- Tegan 3
                     - Victoria 8
    - Polly 3
    - Sarah Jane 19
    - Ben 6                    Harry 18               - Jamie 21
    Leela 18

__________________________________________________________________________

18. Liz                   19. Nyssa               20. Captain Jack     21. K9
    22. Rose                23. Peri                  24. Ace                 25. Martha
    26. Turlough           27. Romana II
    28. Mickey            29: Adric
    31: Grace               32: Dodo              33: Mel

• [SPOILERS!] Ep 4 'Day Four'   5 years 16 weeks ago

This has just been a sensational 4 days so far!

I think Torchwood really got going in series 2 - but this is step up again.

I love the way we're being introduced to a dark issue in Jack's past. And on the subject of Jack, whatever I may feel about him when he's not on Torchwood or Doctor Who (I find John Barrowman quite irritating), Captain Jack is one of the best characters in the whole history of Who.

Also (& I've not been here for a while, so I've no idea if anyone has mentioned something similar yet) I wouldnt be surprised if there was very special surprise guest in edisode 5.

10/10.

Fantastic wonderful stuff.

I hope it's ending matches it's build-up.....

• [SPOILERS!] Ep 4 'Day Four'   5 years 16 weeks ago

True that... and what happened to Myfanwy? (the Dinosaur)

I'll be sad if she died too T_T

• [SPOILERS!] Ep 4 'Day Four'   5 years 16 weeks ago

Not made by me.... this pretty much sums up what most of the young female Torchwood fan community is saying right now.

Yes I know he didn't write this particular episode, but the decision would of been his to make.

This is the first time ever I've ever cried watching anything, actual physical, vocal, painful, crying.

FIRST TIME EVER.

I recorded myself watching this episode, in case anything like this happened, so if you want to hear what a fangirl's heart breaking sounds like RTD, allow me to send it too you.

I can't think, I don't know what I throught of this episode, a part of me wants to give this a 1, simply because of killing Ianto but any story that moves me so much deserves a 5.

I have nothing to say about this episode... I simply can't and don't want to think about it anymore, my heart has broken.

• 'Wet' Your Appetite for The Waters of Mars   5 years 16 weeks ago

Also see the BBC One Autumn Showreel on the guardian.co.uk site. It contains some more quick clips from The Waters of Mars.

• American Accents   5 years 16 weeks ago

ITs more easy than British.

Information about different types of insurance services offered and links to other company sites.

• [SPOILERS!] Ep 4 'Day Four'   5 years 16 weeks ago

I actually felt that this was the weakest episode so far, at least the first half hour. But, having said that, I can't wait until tomorrow!

• [SPOILERS!] Ep 4 'Day Four'   5 years 16 weeks ago

I want to say great episode, because it was, but at the moment (writing quite literally five minutes after I finished the episode) I'm still in shock and haven't quite recovered yet. RTD's got a thing about breaking our hearts, I think he likes it. What did I say about the universe making me a liar? I know, don't say it. I'm just going to go sob in a corner for the next three years now. See you at the 12/12 apocalypse.

• [SPOILERS!] Epi 3 'Day Three'   5 years 16 weeks ago

Re: Ianto, I REALLY doubt it, considering I don't think Torchwood could survive on just Jack & Gwen, as much as I love Torchwood. However, the universe has a way of making me a liar, and if it does happen I'll join you and sob like a baby! D:

• Children of Earth DVDs in the wild?   5 years 16 weeks ago

That is sucky.

Frown

• My dac100 YouTube site hi-jacked by aliens!   5 years 16 weeks ago

Classic! Thanks for the "warning" -- Looking forward to it, mate.

• [SPOILERS!] Ep 4 'Day Four'   5 years 16 weeks ago

Wow is all I have to say. I can't believe this one ended the way it did. I know I had a few tears. No matter what people say about RTD's writing with the last couple of seasons of Doctor Who this proves he still has high quality stuff in him. Hopefully he keeps it up for the end of his Doctor Who tenure. With the way things have gone I really hope this isn't the end of Torchwood, I know I'm itching for more now than the five episodes they are giving us this year.

• [SPOILERS!] Ep 4 'Day Four'   5 years 16 weeks ago

It was nice to see Nick 'voice of the Daleks and Mr Big Finish' Briggs playing a cabinet member (Rick Yates) too!

Yes, I was delighted to see Nick Briggs as well. Good to see him on screen, speaking with his own voice.

• [SPOILERS!] Ep 4 'Day Four'   5 years 16 weeks ago

Wow. Yet another triumphant episode of Torchwood: Children of Earth! Day Four puts you back on the edge of your seat, I position I was last in with Day Two.

Unfortunately, I had to remove myself from the Twitter stream until I saw it because of spoilers on the loose. Even those tweeting about spoilers on Twitter are just as bad as those doing the spoiling in the first place!

So I knew something was up for one particular character ahead of time. Not the nitty gritty details, but enough to guess what was coming.

Be that as it may, it was still a thrilling episode. So far the whole mini-series is very theatrical.

My only real problem with this episode was the Government giving in too quickly. I know that was the point in painting them to be weak self-serving no-back-bone politicians, but it would had been nice to see at least a few wanting to fight the threat before giving in so quickly. What did Zod say in Superman II? Ah yes, "No one who leads so many could possibly kneel so quickly." I felt they all did kneel too quickly here.

Still, a fantastic episode in the story. It all concludes tomorrow, with Day Five. Looking forward to it.

P.S. What became of the Weevils? Did they all perish in their holding cells when the Torchwood hub exploded? They are still some roaming the streets I suppose. Not that I am missing them by any means.

- Vicki 4 (-2)             - The Brigadier 21     - Stephen 7
    - Jo Grant 19       - Tegan 3
                     - Victoria 8
    - Polly 3
    - Sarah Jane 19
    - Ben 6                    Harry 18               - Jamie 21
    Leela 18 (+1)

__________________________________________________________________________

18. Liz                   19. Nyssa               20. Captain Jack     21. K9
    26. Turlough           27. Romana II
    28. Mickey            29: Adric
    31: Grace               32: Dodo              33: Mel

To Doctor Whoovie:

Sorry about the points from before. I didn't notice that we had posted at the same time.

TroyEmbarassed

• My dac100 YouTube site hi-jacked by aliens!   5 years 16 weeks ago

You must tell us how Trinny and Susanna did it, you look great!  Pitty they could not fix that creaky chair, erm....  neck of yours.  Be seeing you.

Thanks namariee , looks like Troy and I were posting about the same time.

- Donna 15 (+1)
    - Vicki 6                   - The Brigadier 21     - Stephen 7
    - Jo Grant 19       - Tegan 3
                     - Victoria 8
    - Polly 3
    - Sarah Jane 19
    - Ben 6 (-2)              Harry 18               - Jamie 21
    Leela 17

__________________________________________________________________________

18. Liz                   19. Nyssa               20. Captain Jack     21. K9
    26. Turlough           27. Romana II
    28. Mickey            29: Adric
    31: Grace               32: Dodo              33: Mel

• Torchwood 3: Days 1-2 SPOILERS!!!!   5 years 16 weeks ago

I didn't do it in those because I reviewed DAY ONE AND TWO together so I didn't know where to put those so I started a new thread.

• Mawdryn Undead   5 years 16 weeks ago

The guy who plays Silver in SAPPHIRE AND STEEL appears in a loin cloth but dn't let that put you off, he's a good actor who puts acting to good use here, fooling Nyssa and almost Tegan into thinking he's a regenerated Doctor...actually no one mentions regeneration until part 3 but the girls see him with a diffrent face and still think he's the Doc wthout mentioning regeneration.

Still, this is the best ep of this schlocky story. The bits that take place in 1977 show some urgency thanks to Janet Fielding and Nick Courtney and they seem to take place at the same time/different time as the bits in 1983. Davison and Courtney also do a good job in relating the Doctor's first meeting with the Brig since TERROR OF THE ZYGONS and, for once in this story, the music is really really really great as the Brig remembers Yeti, Daleks, Cybermen, and Zygons as well as the faces of the other Doctors. It's odd seeing it from this end, now and here as opposed to not seeing any of those stories except ZYGONS before seeing this one. In fact, I saw ZYGONS and dthen saw this and then saw all the others, INVASION last (as a good deal of it was missing--now there are only two eps missing)! I also like the Doctor reminding the Brig of his companions, assistants, Jo Grant, Sarah Jane, and Liz Shaw, recalling them in that order. Too bad no flashbacks went along with those. The Doc seems to think The Brig should surely remember Liz Shaw.

Turlough: another problem: his whole background. The headmaster says he deals with a solicitor (I think from London) and that Turlough has no parents. As far as I know we never hear of this solicitor again and never find out anything about that at all. So in the style of THE POWERS OF MATTHEW STAR, Turlough, it is later revealed, is a prince of some sort of some alien planet, though he doesn't act like it at all. Hiding. Here on Earth. Okay. Poorly plotted and poorly done. Anyway there's a strange "dream" undream scene whre the Black Guardian acts like the headmaster. Turlough shrieks like a first grader. I REALLY dn't like him.

Anyway the cliffhanger is pretty creepy and scary to boot but not really that scary. The make up with the alien head is odd and the "doctor" still has scars on his face.

Anyway the best ep of this flat story.

• Torchwood 3: Days 1-2 SPOILERS!!!!   5 years 16 weeks ago

Chase there are already threads for these.  Why couldn't you post in them?

• SNAKEDANCE   5 years 16 weeks ago

Two actually: Peter Davison needs to cut his fingernails and I love when Nyssa just waves to him from the cave entrance!

How do you rate Doctor Who: In the Forest of the Night? (5=Fantastic)