• [SPOILERS!] Epi 5 'Day Five'   6 years 7 weeks ago

Chase why do you even bother?

You seemingly get your knickers in a twist at everything that ever happens, most people either ignore you or fight you, and then you just get more angry about it all!

For god sake - I'm all in favour of opinions and I don't think it's a rule you have to follow the majority of opinions expressed (on the contrary), but when you seemingly hate EVERYTHING so much......

CIA - in 70 mins - POSSIBLE CHANGE to Open mic topic!

If people in the room are happy to ie. have SEEN it - we might cover Torchwood 'Children of Earth'

• [SPOILERS!] Epi 5 'Day Five'   6 years 7 weeks ago

I hated your Godless, heaven less, there is no paradise or redemption universe right frm the beginning. I hated Owen who never gave a damn about Tosh or ...anybody really execpt his getting off...I hated Tosh's cowardly ways and groveling ways, I hated Gwen's using Rhys and her selfishness, partially redeemed now, I hated Gwen's saying she was going to abort, I hated Ianto's non peronsality,  I hated Jack's callous attitude toward love and his leaving em all the time and his stupid way of dealing with things off the cuff...if at all...I hated Ianto's and Jack's bi sexuality because, although bi is fine, RTD's reluctance to make a good gay character and stick with him being gay was annoying. I hated your dark depressing endings where the guest stars die, no one seems happy, and the team is not with each other mentally or emotionally. Most of all I hated how you were a part of the DW Universe, turning what is a sometimes down show wiht a mostly optimistic outlook into a gutter sewer show of death, nonfaith, and evil. Goodbye for riddance TW, I hope you are never brought back and I hope the novels, audios, and comics for TW all end and never return. Goodbye TW, I had high hopes for your stay in one spot setting and was seen to have those hopes dashed with boring stories, cold characters, ripped off plots, and gut tearing deaths and destruction and little else. Goodbye forever, may you nver be allowed to kill another child character again.  May you never "grace" another DW story be it televised, comicbook ized, novelized, etc. Goodbye and stay dead like the dead do on your show...please don't come back as a zombie...I hated you.

• [SPOILERS!] Epi 5 'Day Five'   6 years 7 weeks ago

Re the naysaying; I'd LOVE to feel about day 5 the same way I felt about days 1-4. And it isn't that I dont think it was any less spectacular, well produced, acted etc. I just didnt like the way it's story panned out.

• [SPOILERS!] Epi 5 'Day Five'   6 years 7 weeks ago

I didnt mention it in either of the posts I've made (and I meant to) - but the whole selection process for the children reminded me of World War II and the Nazis and Jews.

I've no idea, but I suspect that was the aim of the writers/producers. A sort of Sophie's Choice scenario.....

- Ian 16             - Zoe 14            - Romana I 9          - Barbara 10
    - Vicki 1 (-2)     - The Brigadier 22
    - Stephen 4
    - Jo Grant 20       - Tegan 3
             - Victoria 8
    - Sarah Jane 20
    - Ben 3               Harry 18         - Jamie 23 (+1)       Leela 18
    __________________________________________________________________________

17: Polly
    18. Liz                   19. Nyssa               20. Captain Jack     21. K9
    22. Rose                23. Peri                  24. Ace                 25. Martha
    26. Turlough           27. Romana II
    28. Mickey            29: Adric
    31: Grace               32: Dodo              33: Mel

• [SPOILERS!] Epi 5 'Day Five'   6 years 7 weeks ago

My friends and I sat and watched all five hours last night (it was only supposed to be three and then the next two today, but we couldn't leave it there).  I think the first three eps were the strongest; but when the fifth ep went to credits, we all just sat and stared at the screen for a long time.

HOw can they bring this show back after this?  It was all brilliant, don't get me wrong, but its like they brought the show to BBC One to kill it off.

After reading the comments above, I wanted to just add a few thoughts:

I don't think Frobisher was a coward when he killed his family: that was the strongest move he made the entire show.  He was a coward when he covered up the actions of the gov't in 1965, "killed" off the people who could help and did not involve UNIT in the problem from the start.  At the end, I really believe he thought all was hopeless and he saved his family from what really was a fate worse than death.  If he had taken other action earlier, it may have turned out differently, but he did not see a choice at that moment.

The lady on the Gold Committee (wasn't that what the PMs committee was called?) turned out to be one of the evilest people in the room.  Yes, the PM was a piece of work.  But it was she who wanted to protect her own and get rid of the lower 10% (sort of a "not one of us" mentality), and in the end, when Spears lets the PM know he's in deep doo-doo, she all the sudden decides that she'll be leading the government from the shadows?  She was just as guilty as the PM - what right did she have to take the high-road?  Scheming Opportunitst.

Jack's daugher told us from the start that he was dangerous, that she kept his grandchild away from him for just that reason.  It is so sad when your worst fears are realized.

Again, while I don't know how Torchwood can come back from this, I hope we haven't seen the last of the tortured soul that is Jack Harkness.

• Does anybody else think...   6 years 7 weeks ago

They're waiting for a bus.

• [SPOILERS!] Epi 5 'Day Five'   6 years 7 weeks ago

Who else is sick and tired of all the naysaying towards Torchwood right now?

• [SPOILERS!] Epi 5 'Day Five'   6 years 7 weeks ago

Don't know quite what to think about this part other than, my god it was grim.
    Call me silly, but I like dark sci fi, but this was well and above dark, especially for Torchwood... and if this is the end of the series, frack, I don't want to end with such a depressing ending.
    I loved Torchwood, I really really did, not for the storylines, because let's face it they were very often bad, but it was the characters that made me love this show.
    I loved all the characters, I had my favourites of course (Jack and Ianto mostly, as well as Rhys, PC Andy and Gwen to some extent) so to have their stories end like this, I feel very very depressed.

Alot of Torchwood fans wish they hadn't seen this series... as brilliant as it was.

I wasn't expecting even a remotely happy ending after Ianto died, but I seriously felt so so bad for Jack in this whole episode and that just looking at him made me want to cry.

First Ianto died (which was essentially his fault), then he had to say goodbye to Gwen (for the first time), sacrifice his grandson, and also essential lose his daughter forever.

It was too too much pain and angst to put on one man, that watching him was painful... but some of that was all down to John Barrowman's performance in this, which was bloody brilliant.

So... I really don't know what to think of this series, it was brilliant, but I'm almost in the camp where I wished I haven't seen it, as a Torchwood fan... it's broken my heart, and it's going to take me a while to get over it.

• Russell T Davies In-Route to America; Torchwood Future Uncertain   6 years 7 weeks ago

Meanwhile Kai Owen (Rhys Williams in Torchwood) has said the following in an article appearing in the Coventry Telegraph (11 July 2009):

"I think anything Russell T Davies does is genius but fans can be assured that Doctor Who has been left in very capable hands."

"As Russell created Torchwood, he will be staying with that, as far as we know."

"Like the fans out there, I cannot wait to see what Steven Moffat and Matt Smith bring to us in the next series of Doctor Who next year."

Source: Torchwood star excited for new Doctor Who - Coventry Telegraph

Why am I suddenly reminded of Monty Python's Holy Grail? All I can see it 'RUN AWAAAAY RUN AWAAAAAY!'

Mind you, I can't blame him.  All those rabid Ianto fans are enough to make you want to cower behind your sofa, without the help of the Cybermen.

• [SPOILERS!] Epi 5 'Day Five'   6 years 7 weeks ago

Euros Lyn did a wonderful job directing Children of Earth. It was consistent and helped to really tie the entire story together. There may have been a few things I may had done differently, but all minor stuff really.

Kudos to him and the production team as a whole.

• [SPOILERS!] Epi 5 'Day Five'   6 years 7 weeks ago

Seeing Captain Jack more fallible, reminds me a bit of when we first met the character in Doctor Who with the 9th Doctor. In a way, they made him too much of a super-hero in Torchwood. Not being able to die, added to that... though after the events of Children of Earth, not dying may seem more of a curse for him now knowing he will have to live with everything he had to do for a very long time to come.

• Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 155   6 years 7 weeks ago

Thanks Mr. Magister! We appreciate your feedback. The HURT/HEAL: The Companions has proven to be a very popular thread with many having fun with it.

There's going to be a bit of delay with episode 156 due to scheduling conflicts recording it. Just a heads up.

• HHGtBSF must review Children of Earth!   6 years 7 weeks ago

Yes! We will be reviewing Torchwood: Children of Earth in our next episode of Hitchhiker's Guide to British Sci-Fi. Hopefully, it will be out soon.. we are still in the process of juggling our schedules to record it.

- Ian 16             - Zoe 14            - Romana I 9          - Barbara 10
    - Vicki 3 (-2)     - The Brigadier 22
    - Stephen 4
    - Jo Grant 20       - Tegan 3
             - Victoria 8
    - Sarah Jane 20
    - Ben 3               Harry 18         - Jamie 22 (+1)       Leela 18
    __________________________________________________________________________

17: Polly
    18. Liz                   19. Nyssa               20. Captain Jack     21. K9
    26. Turlough           27. Romana II
    28. Mickey            29: Adric
    31: Grace               32: Dodo              33: Mel

• [SPOILERS!] Epi 5 'Day Five'   6 years 7 weeks ago

The final set-up in the series reminded me of the 1979 London Weekend Television Quatermass story starring John Mills as the eponomous professor.

Although the story occurred after the downfall of civilization the premis was that young people were drawn towards standing stone circles. These young people were 'in tune' with an off-world alien inteligence. The older generation could not make the connection.

These stone circles had been erected by our ancestors to mark the collecting places used in pre-history. The alien inteligence harvested the young people at these points for their essence. (it was likened to us collecting the glands of certain mammals to make perfume).

Although in COE, it was children rather than 'young people' (i.e. the under 30s) and they were herded to the gathering points as opposed to be drawn to them, it strikes me as a similar plot device. Both can commune with the inteligence the 'harvesting' and involved fire reigning from the sky at given points to consume the youngsters.

The solution in the quatermass story involved Quatermass (and his colleagues) sacrificing themselves by detonating a battlefield nuclear device in one of the stone rings whilst the harvesting was occurring.

Anyone else remember this series, I remeber it making a lasting impact on my 12 year old mind at the original time of broadcast. I rewatched it about 4 years ago on rental from netflix. It was only in the final 2 COE episodes that the parallelness of the stories struck me.

What I was wondering was a) if the 456 can controll the children why didn't they just make them go to the collecting places without adult intervention, or b) just collect them whilst they were at the schools. It seems needless to start negociating with the governments, if they cannot detect the spaceships etc. just take the children from the schools, or better, at Hannah Montana and Jonas Brothers concerts.

Well apart from a few plot holes I enjoyed this greatly and agree with others that it shows what Torchwood could have been. Mainly what series one could have been, since on the whole I thought the second series was vastly superior.

It was very unTorchwood that no 'bonking' or building straddling occurred during COE, the former probably because Owen is no longer with us but there was no excuse for the latter.

Unfortunately, it looks like there will be no more Torchwood: everyone's either dead, 'up the duff' or off-world.  Or should I say "no more  Welsh Torchwood!" Between Julie Gardner and RTD moving to the USA and Jack wanting to ' get away'. I wonder how long until we get Torchwood:LA on our TV sets.

• Tom Baker is back as the Doctor!!!!!   6 years 7 weeks ago

rumor or not, i hope they come out! let's just hope it's not tom baker's home made stories about the 4th doctor getting old and not regenerating!

- Ian 16             - Zoe 14            - Romana I 9          - Barbara 10 (+1)
    - Vicki 5            - The Brigadier 22
    - Stephen 4
    - Jo Grant 20       - Tegan 3
             - Victoria 8
    - Sarah Jane 20
    - Ben 3 (-2)         Harry 18         - Jamie 21              Leela 18
    __________________________________________________________________________

17: Polly
    18. Liz                   19. Nyssa               20. Captain Jack     21. K9
    26. Turlough           27. Romana II
    28. Mickey            29: Adric
    31: Grace               32: Dodo              33: Mel

• Warehouse 13   6 years 7 weeks ago

Well, personally I wasn't that impressed with Fringe. It seemed to be trying too hard to be like X-Files but stranger and it all felt pretty forced to me. I never finished watching the first season.

I'll give this a shot, it sounds like it could be fun. If not, no loss.

• Torchwood 3: Days 1-2 SPOILERS!!!!   6 years 7 weeks ago

Farewell to this dark, disgusting, and dismal show. May it be out of our miseries forever. Lois, who trusted TW, is in a cell for good, charged with espionage because TW are morons who can't stop any alien invasion this huge, say they can and make things worse--or rather she would be in a cell....no thanks to TW she's freed due to the secretary. Jack doesn't even blink as he's taken from his cell. He doens't even think to ask them to free Lois. Frobisher should have killed that bastard PM. The whole show was really his. This is RTD's way of depressing us and it worked.   Sad to say that this is probably how this would go down should, God forbid, this situation actually present itself. This RTD show is so far removed from what DW is, the spirit of it is so destroyed utterly and TW has always been like that...once in a while it would be okay in the DW universe but now...this EDIT is gone hopefully forever. I still stand by my original assessemenst of this crap: like Ray Harryhausen says that instead of looking up at the skies, we're looking down into the sewers strewn with EDIT and trash and gross negativiity.

EDIT - please moderate your posts - daveac

• TERMINUS   6 years 7 weeks ago

3-4

Okay after that horrible TORCHWOOD crap, this is a walk in park, diseases and old men with black skin and red eyes or vica versa...

Finally this Doctor wins one fight and startlingly. Tegan seems, or rather Janet seems to have a cold in some scenes. The BG and Turlough's little spouting is a bore at this point. Kill the bloody Doctor yourself you big dope or leave Turlough alone or kill him or take him over or whatever but get on with it. This subplot would have been best left out entirely. I must admit I don't quite get a lot of what's going on in both these episodes. How does moving around a control in Terminus get the TARDIS door to reappear? How does Turlough know exactly what switch to try? Or doesn't he?

The scenes with the Garm are pretty much all poor. Sutton does a terrible job in her last two episodes, except her leaving scene. That's pretty good., not as emotional as Sarah Jane or Tegan's leavings but not even as good as Leela's but good nevertheless. IMO. Sutton's screaming is awful and her acting as she's chained up terrible. Olvir tries to help and does, making a near mess of things but coming out okay in the end. He even gets Nyssa to trip him and sit on top of him with her bare arms and legs...Nyssa also begs the Vanir to take other Lazars before her because they are sicker. By contrast, Davison is very very good and his Doctor here commanding for once.

The fight sequences are, for this era, or any for that matter, fairly well done. It's what happens around those fight scenes that sucks. For instance, Olvir is done with his fight and turns to find Nyssa gone but the Garm is just a few feet away, carrying her. He screams as if Garm has gone and he can't find him! Nyssa's entire capture, chaining up, and "cure" are all poorly handled. It is as if the direction for these last two eps suddenly changed and got lax...

Search ABOUT TIME for things that don't make sense about this story, ther'e  is a bunch of em. I can add one to that unless I missed something: Unless I'm way wrong, there was no way the Doctor and Kari could know that the box controlled the Garm. They also seem to find out remarkably easy how to destroy all the dangerous wires and stuff on Terminus to prevent a further accident. Maybe something more should have been done and earlier than this by the Doctor? Who knows. The Garm speaks! I forgot about that entirely and as soon as I heard it, I can rememember why I forgot it. It sounds awful. Really this thing sounds and looks like something from  a SID AND MARTY KROFT comedy and not one of the good ones. If there are any. Olvir and Kari seem trapped on the station; Olvir asked her if she had some thotught as to how they were going to get out of here and she says she's got some idea and at first I thought they were going to make for the Tardis but this is never resolved.

Janet Fielding in a thankless role here does well. She's come a long way from the idiot in FOUR TO  DOOMSDAY and in a similar scene here to the one in that she does remarkeablly well in TERMINUS. When she and the Doctor remeet and Nyssa tells him to be nice to her or tell her he's glad to see her, it's pretty funny. Just before that Nyssa says, "I't'll be nice to see Tegan."  The Doctor doesn't seem too sure, "Yes, well, it will be nice to know she's safe..."  Funny. Kari seemed to be his companion for most of these two episodes and indeed the whole story. She's not much of an improvement on Nyssa and not on Tegan. Turlough has some moments here, most of them annoying, repeating, and boring. A few seconds worth of charaterization does elicit some sympathy.

In any event, an uneven story with some really bad scenes in eps 3-4, poorly executed and acted in many spots and explanations not really given. I mean who built Terminus? Where are the Vanir from? The lazars? Radiation cures the disease? And many more questions but again, see ABOUT TIME 5.

And that ending: not sure how I feel about a zoom in on the Black Guardian's mouth saying...for the hundredth time, "Kill the Doctor now!"

• [SPOILERS!] Epi 5 'Day Five'   6 years 7 weeks ago

This is what Torchwood should have been like in series one, or rather, what its promise was. This is what it was originally hyped as; and it has finally lived up to its billing.

• Possible twist at the end of CoE   6 years 7 weeks ago

Can Steve come back to life?

How do you rate Doctor Who: The Brain of Morbius? (5=Fantastic)