strict warning: Declaration of views_handler_filter_node_status::operator_form() should be compatible with views_handler_filter::operator_form(&$form, &$form_state) in /home3/gallifre/public_html/vortex/sites/all/modules/views/modules/node/views_handler_filter_node_status.inc on line 13.

• The Angel of Scutari (Spoilers)   8 years 5 weeks ago

parts 3-4

Okay this story is just fantastic. Whereas most DW stories on audio and elsewhere sometimes go off track, this one finds itself even more in parts 3 and 4. AND is responsible for one of the funniest DW moments on audio. "Quick, Ace, while your respective aquaintances are trying to hack each other to pieces, hug me!"  And it all makes sense. The 7th Doctor, Ace, and Hex have some of the best scripts, some of the most experimental and the ones that work best IMO. Some, like the last one, the Dalek one, just don't work but this...

does work.

The guest actors are very good, the history---something DW should have aspired to do ALL throughout its history---is interesting, educating, and exciting. DW should visit relatively  unknown spots in history and places ALL the time instead of just alien planets and future colonies. THAT's pretty much boring by now but this...this is just so well done.

BTW Ace and the Brig on audio in the mostly SPOILERS FOR DEATH COEMS TO TIME

SPOILERS FOR DEATH COMES TO TIME

are responsbile for one of the most emotional and highly warm and sensitive scenes ever...Ace belives the Doc to be dead (as do we) and she's recovering as she comes over a hill to the UNIT troops and sees the Brig, who asks her where the Doctor is. Almost bewildered and quitely she tells him, "He...he's gone..." and we hear a slow short version of the DW theme.

Anyway for this story, it ends on a cliffhanger and listen past the end theme music as there are more scenes or rather one more scene.

All in all a sensitive story, well written, with no easy answers and death everywhere but some really well drawn characters...

- Ian 21                 - Zoe 16              - Barbara 4         - Donna 11 (-2)
     The Brigadier 25 (+1)-
    Jo Grant 15       - Victoria 4
    - Sarah Jane 22
    Harry 22              - Jamie 25            Leela 20
    __________________________________________________________________________

12: Romana I        13. Tegan
    14. Stephen           15. Ben                 16. Vicki                 17: Polly
    18. Liz                   19. Nyssa               20. Captain Jack     21. K9
    22. Rose                23. Peri                  24. Ace                 25. Martha
    26. Turlough           27. Romana II
    28. Mickey            29: Adric
    31: Grace               32: Dodo              33: Mel

• Gallifrey 2010 - Blackjack 21 Changes Date One Week Later   8 years 5 weeks ago

What was a booking error has turned out to be a massive good thing for me.

I can make Gallifrey this year! I'm leaving for the UK after the 20th Feb, so I can in all intensive purposes swing by LA before making my way to the UK.

I'm really really going to attempt to make it to Gally 21.

Wish me luck boys! And hopefully see you there ^_^

- Ian 21 (+1)        - Zoe 16              - Barbara 4         - Donna 13
     The Brigadier 24   -
    Jo Grant 15 (-2)  - Victoria 4
    - Sarah Jane 22
    Harry 22              - Jamie 25            Leela 20
    __________________________________________________________________________

12: Romana I        13. Tegan
    18. Liz                   19. Nyssa               20. Captain Jack     21. K9
    26. Turlough           27. Romana II
    28. Mickey            29: Adric
    31: Grace               32: Dodo              33: Mel

• THE FIVE DOCTORS   8 years 5 weeks ago

Okay that annoying horn sounding off is really starting to annoy me big time. Rassilon is a bit of a let down and his voice embarassing. Borusa being the traitor was surprising but it makes sense from what we've seen of the man in the past, for the most part. It's nice to see the Doctors all mingling in the scene and gratifiying to see the Brig punch out the Master. It might have been nice but maybe repetitious to have Susan talk with Sarah and/or Tegan. What chat there was was funny and interesting ("You as well..."" with the Brig getting most of the best lines. The Jamie Zoey thing was embarassingly played out. The rest was okay and in all this story was a fitting celebration of DW, perhaps the last really good celebration and until SIRENS OF TIME, the last good meeting of Doctors... I also like the melding of the old theme with the new theme, it works well.

• Tom Baker is back as the Doctor!!!!!   8 years 5 weeks ago

Ever since I first discovered John Culshaw's amazing impressions of Tom Baker on Dead Ringers, I've thought it would be great if he were to do a few Big Finish productions.  I'd certainly prefer the real thing, but until now that's looked like an impossibility.

- Ian 20                 - Zoe 16              - Barbara 4         - Donna 13
     The Brigadier 24   -
    Jo Grant 17        - Victoria 4 (-2)
    - Sarah Jane 22
    Harry 22              - Jamie 25 (+1)    Leela 20
    __________________________________________________________________________

12: Romana I        13. Tegan
    18. Liz                   19. Nyssa               20. Captain Jack     21. K9
    26. Turlough           27. Romana II
    28. Mickey            29: Adric
    31: Grace               32: Dodo              33: Mel

'One small vblog for a man, one giant entertainment for mankind'

I've now been doing these vblogs for 1 year! Blimey!

Slightly dis-organised as I've been watching the British Open Golf :-)

Doctor Who included - 'Revelation of the Daleks' DVD (with a different Sixth Doctor! Sorry Ian)

- Ian 20                 - Zoe 16              - Barbara 4         - Donna 13 (-2)
     The Brigadier 24   -
    Jo Grant 17   - Victoria 6
    - Sarah Jane 22
    Harry 21 (+1)       - Jamie 24           Leela 20
    __________________________________________________________________________

12: Romana I        13. Tegan
    18. Liz                   19. Nyssa               20. Captain Jack     21. K9
    26. Turlough           27. Romana II
    28. Mickey            29: Adric
    31: Grace               32: Dodo              33: Mel

• Tom Baker is back as the Doctor!!!!!   8 years 5 weeks ago

I've heard that they are to be full-cast dramas - can't wait! Surprised

I have this image of Tom recording round-the-clock to catch up with the output of the other Doctors!! Laughing  (Yes, I know that will never happen! Tongue out

When I think of the time that's been wasted!!! CryFrown

- Ian 20 (+1)          - Zoe 16              - Barbara 4         - Donna 15 (-2)
     The Brigadier 24   -

12: Romana I        13. Tegan
    18. Liz                   19. Nyssa               20. Captain Jack     21. K9
    26. Turlough           27. Romana II
    28. Mickey            29: Adric
    31: Grace               32: Dodo              33: Mel

• Warehouse 13   8 years 5 weeks ago

I've watched both episodes that have been out on SciFi - sory, SyFy.  It's not bad. It's like sugar candy for the brain, you get a bit of enjoyment, but perhaps no real fulfillmet and you've forgotten about it as soon as it's over.

Warehouse 13 runs the typical SciFi/SyFy hour program checklist:  psuedo science, cute girl, cute boy, one has special senses/abilities and one is really smart, add a kooky guy and some comedic writing and you've got either the last six seasons of Stargate SG-1, Eureka, The Invisible Man, Warehouse 13, and myriad others they've tried throughout the years.

I've watched them all, and pretty much enjoy them for the one shot that they are.  So, if you find you've got an hour  you need to fill this summer, I'd try it.

• The Eleven Doctors Special for Children In Need?   8 years 5 weeks ago

Well it will be great to see these doctors again. I still remember the series in my older days in which they launched an eating disorder treatment program. It was a great series and I expect the remake to be even better.

• [SPOILERS!] Epi 5 'Day Five'   8 years 5 weeks ago

Let me begin by saying I like Torchwood as a whole.  The first season wasn't that great, but it obviously held alot of potential.  It improved alot in season two, and began to show some of it's promise.  I was really looking forward to Children of Earth.  The way I saw it, this was the show's chance to really shine.  The first few days of Children of Earth were great, and seemed to be going somewhere interesting.  In the end, it completely fell apart for me.  My biggest problem with Children of Earth wasn't the deaths of Ianto or Jack's grandson, Jack running away, or any of the other issues most others who didn't like it seem to have.  It was the huge plotholes that were never addressed and made no sense that killed it for me.

1- Human Crackpipes.  To begin with, how did this situation come to pass in the first place?  A race of aliens stumbles across the Earth in the sixties, sees some human children and think to themselves, "Wow, I'd really like to create a complicated symbiosis rig to hook these things up to my body chemistry.  I'll bet that could get me nicely toasted."  The premise itself defies explanation, which is why we never get one.  All it explains is why they vomit on a regular basis.

2- A dozen to millions.  Frobisher and the rest of the senior British government are fully aware when the demand for the children comes that this business all started with only twelve children (only eleven as it turns out) forty years ago.  Now these guys are back (after promising never to return), and they want 10% of the kids of the world.  That's an incredibly drastic increase in demand.  The subject never once comes up that these aliens are just going to come back again soon wanting every child on the planet.  These are drug addicts we're talking about here.  The fact that taking every child on the planet would mean shrinking returns later on wouldn't register with them.  That's not how the mind of an addict works, alien or not.

3- Huge Conspiracies.  This conspiracy to hide the truth was fairly believeable on day one.  Hardly anyone knew the truth.  By day four, hundreds of people are aware that the aliens are demanding the Children of Earth.  Despite this, there is never a news leak.  The US government can't even think about starting a small project without a leak showing up on the Drudge Report, yet they somehow manage to keep a lid on a systematic round-up of thousands of children throughout the country by the army?  Not many people know the whole truth, but enough people know enough tiny piceces of the puzzle to blow the lid off the threat to the public.  Somebody always talks.  This doesn't even take into account that fact that every nation on the planet is being held responsible for their own child roundups.  Does anyone think for a second that Iran, Somalia or Zimbabwe would even try to round up their children in a day?  They don't even have the resources to attempt such a logistical feat.

4- Frobisher's kids.  The PM want's Frobisher to smile for the cameras as his children are carted off to be human crack pipes.  Where does this even begin to make sense?  On the whole, people are sheep.  If the government tells them to send their kids to school to be innoculated, that's precisely what most of them are going to do.  Seeing some government stooge on the news isn't going to sway anyone who has doubts.  If anything, it would only reinforce their suspicions.  The fact that one government bureaucrat's family was also taken by the aliens isn't going to console me on the loss of my child one bit, either.  This whole sub-plot was done just to show how dark and extreme they could take things.

It breaks my heart to think that this may be how Torchwood comes to an end as a TV series.  Despite my ultimate dislike for Children of Earth, I still firmly believe that Torchwood continues to have the potential to be a fantastic series.  Despite it all, I live in hope..

• HARRY POTTER 6 (spoilers)   8 years 5 weeks ago

Thanks. I read a lot, too, but when I"m not interested in where a book takes me, I lose interest in finishing a book. I never got through book 2...I left it when the gnomes were being caught by the Weasley's at their house during a summer break I think it was. Yet I read all the Alex Rider books in the span of a month...

- Ian 19                 - Zoe 16           - Barbara 4 (-2)   - Donna 17
     The Brigadier 24   -
    Jo Grant 17     - Victoria 6
    - Sarah Jane 22
    Harry 20               - Jamie 24        Leela 20 (+1)
    __________________________________________________________________________

12: Romana I        13. Tegan
    18. Liz                   19. Nyssa               20. Captain Jack     21. K9
    26. Turlough           27. Romana II
    28. Mickey            29: Adric
    31: Grace               32: Dodo              33: Mel

• Have we a start date?   8 years 5 weeks ago

As to a start date the Beeb is being cagy as usual, sometime in the fall.  But as to the Doctor appearing in SJA, as of this BBC Press Release dated May 27 of this year it is indeed official.

• Have we a start date?   8 years 5 weeks ago

As of now there is no 'official' air date for the new season, but usually the show begins the last week of September and runs for six weeks (airing weekly - two episodes at a time for a full story)

Series 1 began on September 24, 2007 with 'Revenge of the Slitheen'

Series 2 premired on September 29, 2008 with 'The Last Sontaran'

'Invasion of the Bane' was a special and aired on New years 2007

If the BBC follows suit, the BAFTA-nominated series will return around the same time - the last week of September.

BTW: The BBC doesn't usually give an air date until a couple of weeks before airing so we won't get an 'official' air date until mid-September.Wink

• Have we a start date?   8 years 5 weeks ago

I think I remember September being mentioned as around the time that the Doctor will be visiting the SJA.  I could be mistaken, but given the number of episodes in a series, they could just finish up SJA series 3 before Waters of Mars and the final 2 Tenth Doctor adventures at the end of the year if it starts in early September.

- Ian 19                 - Zoe 16               - Barbara 8 (-2)   - Donna 17
     The Brigadier 24 (+1)
    Jo Grant 17         - Victoria 6
    - Sarah Jane 22
    Harry 19               - Jamie 24            Leela 19
    __________________________________________________________________________

12: Romana I        13. Tegan
    18. Liz                   19. Nyssa               20. Captain Jack     21. K9
    26. Turlough           27. Romana II
    28. Mickey            29: Adric
    31: Grace               32: Dodo              33: Mel

- Ian 19                 - Zoe 16               - Barbara 10   - Donna 17 (+1)
     The Brigadier 23
    - Jo Grant 17 (-2)   - Victoria 6
    - Sarah Jane 22
    Harry 19               - Jamie 24            Leela 19
    __________________________________________________________________________

12: Romana I        13. Tegan
    18. Liz                   19. Nyssa               20. Captain Jack     21. K9
    26. Turlough           27. Romana II
    28. Mickey            29: Adric
    31: Grace               32: Dodo              33: Mel

• DEMONS season one   8 years 5 weeks ago

Louis,

I could get the embedded image in initially (when only preview is avilable) and indeed all was well in the preview, however after I 'save' everything was screwed up. It is the two part nature of saving things that seems to induce my problems (well those related to saving YouTube movies Laughing ).

By the way is there a good reason for having to preview your post before being able to save it?

- Ian 19             - Zoe 16                 - Barbara 10
          - The Brigadier 23
    - Jo Grant 19        - Victoria 6
    - Sarah Jane 22   Harry 19 (+1)       - Jamie 24            Leela 19
    __________________________________________________________________________

12: Romana I -1(-2)      13. Tegan
    18. Liz                   19. Nyssa               20. Captain Jack     21. K9
    26. Turlough           27. Romana II
    28. Mickey            29: Adric
    31: Grace               32: Dodo              33: Mel

BTW: the line in my title is from 'Revenge of the Cybermen' - A story with Harry in it.

How do you rate Doctor Who: Thin Ice? (5=Fantastic)