• TERMINUS   5 years 37 weeks ago

Oh dear, it's all starting to look like a bad 80s video or worse, the cheapie but entertaining slow moving THE STARLOST. If any DW looked really cheap, this is it. I guess it's the costumes and some of the sets as some of the sets look okay. Still, there are not bad cso as in THE STARLOST and the drone bots look menacing and function well. Nyssa pulls her skirt off for no real reason saying she feels as if she's about to explode. On the plus side, the exploits of Tegan and Turlough in the vents under the floor are...well, when I first saw this I thought of it as filler and maybe it is, to keep them busy doing something but to be honest, I find cramped up spaces scary, scarier than any monsters. I once helped wire a church up and crawled through floorboards and in the dark and it was even worse than this.

The sterilzation process and the disease are also scary, made less so here, maybe not to scare kids? I don't know but it all seems to slow down a bit. And the Vanir: Goth Fashion Victims if there can be such a thing. The Center of the Universe? Indeed. And as for the Garm: maybe it if was presented in the dark it could have been atmospheric and if its arrival were scripted and filmed in such a way as to be dramatic...it could have been a real event. Yet here, one of the Vanir just calls it into service and it just lumbers into the light...no real drama, no real tension, no real atmosphere. And it looks daft.

Still, here we don't have monsters and warriors in a cliche mode: the lazars are not evil, just victims, the Vanir are not warriors of the real class but just carriers and toters as one of them says something similar, Olvir is afraid of stuff and even leaves Nyssa to be taken off, Nyssa shows some gumption for once and tries to get away by hitting a Vanir! And the Garm isn't a menacing slobbering ALIEN like monster. As in most of the stories this season, the menace isn't usual. Omega just wanted to get back to his world (for revenge, true), Mawdyrn and his peeps just wanted to die, and who knows what the Mara wanted but it killed no one in SNAKEDANCE. Body horror is in this season too: lazars and disease and Nyssa getting sick; Omega's cornflaking falling apart skin, the snake on the arm, Mawdryn's mutation and brain showing and scars on his face bleeding...yeech, pretty gross and scary.

All in all 2 is not terrible, it just looks like it is and could have been a bit more effective in some scenes...

• [SPOILERS!] Epi 5 'Day Five'   5 years 37 weeks ago

Remember the Doctor's choice in Fires of P - 20,000 to save the world.

And Donna helped him press the button.

daveac

• Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 155   5 years 37 weeks ago

Hi James, Louis and Ken

I have been listening to your podcast for 2 years now and find the new website wonderful.  Thanks for all of your time and effort to give us the scoop on all things Whovian.

I enjoyed your review of Power of the Daleks - it has spurred me to seek out the audio version and sit back and let my imagination fill in all the gaps between the telesnaps.

I also enjoyed your discussion about Jamie as one of Dr. Who's best companions.  Fraser Hines never seems to put in a bad performance and his both innocence to all things technological coupled with a rough and tumble attitude make him a very fun companion to watch.  I especially thought it was fun while watching the Kroton's in the scene where Jamie was aiding the resident scientist in making acid - it had the makings of a Monty Python or Saturday Night Live Sketch.  Furthermore, when Fraser returned to the program in 'The Two Doctors' his energy for the show hadn't skipped a beat and hope that if indeed he is invited to return to the current Dr. Who - he would put in an equally impressive performance.  You mentioned how popular Jamie is vs. the other companions....please check out the current Hurt/Heal: The Companions string that several of us are voting each day on who our favorite and least favorite companions are.  You can find it in the General section of the Forums.

Thanks again, and I look forward to Episode 156.

Mr. Magister

- Ian 16             - Zoe 14            - Romana I 9          - Barbara 9 (-2)
    - Vicki 5            - The Brigadier 22
    - Stephen 4
    - Jo Grant 20       - Tegan 3
             - Victoria 8
    - Polly 1
    - Sarah Jane 19
    - Ben 5 (+1)      Harry 18                - Jamie 21
    Leela 18

__________________________________________________________________________

18. Liz                   19. Nyssa               20. Captain Jack     21. K9
    22. Rose                23. Peri                  24. Ace                 25. Martha
    26. Turlough           27. Romana II
    28. Mickey            29: Adric
    31: Grace               32: Dodo              33: Mel

• [SPOILERS!] Epi 5 'Day Five'   5 years 37 weeks ago

Despite what "Spiked" says about UK science fiction, the Brits can do it and often do it right.

The problem we have over here is that we don't seem to apperictae our own television.  We are unendated with Reality and US shows, which is fine but most of it costs our 'networks' lots of money, so investment on homegrown shows suffer and the shows that are imported are only on a par with most of our own stuff anyway.  I mean Channel 4 famously paid £100m to show 3 years worth of Friends and ER, need I say more!  Any decent homemade drama is labelled 'crap' by most people because it hasn't got a massive hype, budget and American accents!  Sounds strange but it's what i'm told!

• [SPOILERS!] Epi 5 'Day Five'   5 years 37 weeks ago

Essentially he was a coward. Dispate what his long-time work companion says, he was no hero. I thought he was taking the gun to PROTECT his family. Go down fighting!... but unfortunately he was a worm.

Too bad his wife couldn't stuggle to get the gun (perhaps do him in during the process) and save her children.

Good points and I thought that the directing on that scene was wonderful (is it right it use that word?), the way he somberly went into the room, and all we could see was his back and his family in front of him, until he shut the door and their lives were over.  The scene could have told you many things about the man and that's the whole point.  Superb stuff!

Just goes to show how good the previous two series' of Torchwoood could have been!

And on the subject of the unexpected ending - I think it makes a refreshing change.  Too many shows have 'happy endings', when we all know that life isn't like that.  take out the aliens and you could identify many things in everyday life with this series.

If CoE goes down half as well in the US as it's done in the UK, then we're on to a winner!  I'm just hoping that the people in charge don't 'jump ship', this series has proven that the British can do fantasic sci-fi drama and with more investment, we could be on the verge of another golden age of British sci-fi!

• 'Wet' Your Appetite for The Waters of Mars   5 years 37 weeks ago

Thanks Troy. I should had linked the article to your posting in the forum. My apologies.

• [SPOILERS!] Epi 5 'Day Five'   5 years 37 weeks ago

Maybe I'm just soft, but I like my endings when they get the girl, kill the baddies and save the entire planet. That clearly wasnt the case here.

If this was an American mini-series, that is exactly what we most likely would had gotten. An ending where everyone wins and there are no losses or consequence.

Look at what studios did with Blade Runner after previewing it to test audiences, they forced Ridley Scott (a Brit, by the way) to come back and re-do the ending to make it end on a happier note for the original theatrical release. Not all endings end with the heroes getting gold medals (except the Wookiee) in a grand ceremony, sometimes they end with the hero getting his hand cut off and another frozen and sent to Jabba the Hutt.

• [SPOILERS!] Epi 5 'Day Five'   5 years 37 weeks ago

Also why couldn't Frobisher just take his family and drive away somewhere

• Warehouse 13   5 years 37 weeks ago

I was avoiding it because I'm tired of the BONES/X FILES thing. Still, I bet it was good because FRINGE is pretty good despite it being this decades' X FILES. Yet I dn't know, I wish some of these shows would find a new angle or something.

• [SPOILERS!] Epi 5 'Day Five'   5 years 37 weeks ago

I'm still shocked, I still can't believe what Jack did.  Also why couldn't Frobisher just take his family and drive away somewhere>  Just goes to show that unhappy endings are sometimes the best.

Wonderful piece of Sci-fi, just hope we get to see more.

• [SPOILERS!] Epi 5 'Day Five'   5 years 37 weeks ago

It was bloody wonderful!

• London Film and Comic Comic Con - 18/19 July - Lot's of Doctor Who Guests!   5 years 37 weeks ago

P.S I'll try my best to knock some feedback together Louis!

Fantastic! No pressure, but we will be waiting for what you have to say with baited breath (we should see a Doctor about that... a Doctor! (sorry))... but no pressure of course! Wink

- Ian 16             - Zoe 14            - Romana I 9          - Barbara 11
    - Vicki 5 (+1)     - The Brigadier 22
    - Stephen 4
    - Jo Grant 20       - Tegan 3
             - Victoria 8
    - Polly 1
    - Sarah Jane 19
    - Ben 4 (-2)      Harry 18                - Jamie 21
    Leela 18

__________________________________________________________________________

18. Liz                   19. Nyssa               20. Captain Jack     21. K9
    26. Turlough           27. Romana II
    28. Mickey            29: Adric
    31: Grace               32: Dodo              33: Mel

I didnt know about this!

I'll have to check it out..............

• The Best Series Ever Made   5 years 37 weeks ago

Chase - I started to read through the list, and it just kept going and going and going and going!!

Surprised

• [SPOILERS!] Epi 5 'Day Five'   5 years 37 weeks ago

I need to watch it again.

It certainly didnt shy away from the tough stuff!!!

I'm not saying I didnt like it..............

• Forum rich text edit bug?   5 years 37 weeks ago

Was it an original post (i.e. a new post starting a thread like the one just created with your message above) or was a it comment to existing post?

- Ian 16             - Zoe 14            - Romana I 9          - Barbara 11
    - Vicki 4           - The Brigadier 22    - Stephen 4 (+1)
    - Jo Grant 20       - Tegan 3
             - Victoria 8
    - Polly 1 (-2)
    - Sarah Jane 19
    - Ben 6            Harry 18                - Jamie 21
    Leela 18

__________________________________________________________________________

18. Liz                   19. Nyssa               20. Captain Jack     21. K9
    26. Turlough           27. Romana II
    28. Mickey            29: Adric
    31: Grace               32: Dodo              33: Mel

- Ian 16             - Zoe 14            - Romana I 9          - Barbara 11
    - Vicki 4      - The Brigadier 22 (+1)   - Stephen 3 (-2)
    - Jo Grant 20       - Tegan 3
             - Victoria 8
    - Polly 3
    - Sarah Jane 19
    - Ben 6            Harry 18                - Jamie 21
    Leela 18

__________________________________________________________________________

18. Liz                   19. Nyssa               20. Captain Jack     21. K9
    26. Turlough           27. Romana II
    28. Mickey            29: Adric
    31: Grace               32: Dodo              33: Mel

I w(h)ine after a vblog alien abduction

• [SPOILERS!] Ep 4 'Day Four'   5 years 37 weeks ago

Was the series not co-written by RTD?

• From the Beginning: The First Doctor   5 years 37 weeks ago

A curious little story this with a lot to recommend it and a few parts that left me scratching my head in bewilderment.

I liked:

·         That the story didn’t ignore the departure of Susan and that the Doctor was shown to suffer some kind of emotional fallout

·         Vicki, for the most part, but I have yet to really see what makes her different from Susan: both young, both slightly out of phase with the twentieth century. Still Maureen O’Brien does a good turn.

·         The cliff-hangers – both of them were great and I love it when one story segues directly into the next.

·         I rather liked the Koquillion look and the theme to the appearance of the aliens on Dido or was the mask supposed to be a representation of the ‘sandy’ creature?

·         Bennett’s reason for doing what he did – it was believable and, therefore, helped the story to ring true.

Head scratching moments:

·         Why have a mystery story when there are only two suspects (one of whom you know will be joining the regular cast)

·         The Doctor knocks on Bennett’s door, hears Bennett tell him not to come in and responds by breaking the door down for no apparent reason. ??!!

·         Who were the two guys at the end – were they survivors from the planet? Where did they suddenly appear from? I thought at first that they were some kind of effect of the judgement room, that it brought out the guilt from those judged there – manifested the victims physically. But then I saw them ripping up the control panels at the end and realised I was wrong. Preferred my idea.

Still good to see a new companion – the first of many and nice to break the historical/scifi pattern by having two scifi stories in a row. 7 out of 10: Enjoyable but really not on a par with the previous story.

Now, I can finally go back and start reading Doctor Whoovie’s posts!

• Live from .........   5 years 37 weeks ago

Live from ................

Captain Jack's Body Bag

a lump of concrete

the 456 'guild pilots tank' on Dune in Thames House. (was there a tocliphane with a body in there too?)

• [SPOILERS!] Ep 4 'Day Four'   5 years 37 weeks ago

Because John Fay wrote it?

How do you rate Doctor Who: Last Christmas? (5=Fantastic)

DW Podshock Cover Style E