strict warning: Declaration of views_handler_filter_node_status::operator_form() should be compatible with views_handler_filter::operator_form(&$form, &$form_state) in /home3/gallifre/public_html/vortex/sites/all/modules/views/modules/node/views_handler_filter_node_status.inc on line 13.

- Ian 20                 - Zoe 16              - Barbara 4         - Donna 13
     The Brigadier 24   -
    Jo Grant 17        - Victoria 4 (-2)
    - Sarah Jane 22
    Harry 22              - Jamie 25 (+1)    Leela 20
    __________________________________________________________________________

12: Romana I        13. Tegan
    14. Stephen           15. Ben                 16. Vicki                 17: Polly
    18. Liz                   19. Nyssa               20. Captain Jack     21. K9
    22. Rose                23. Peri                  24. Ace                 25. Martha
    26. Turlough           27. Romana II
    28. Mickey            29: Adric
    31: Grace               32: Dodo              33: Mel

'One small vblog for a man, one giant entertainment for mankind'

I've now been doing these vblogs for 1 year! Blimey!

Slightly dis-organised as I've been watching the British Open Golf :-)

Doctor Who included - 'Revelation of the Daleks' DVD (with a different Sixth Doctor! Sorry Ian)

- Ian 20                 - Zoe 16              - Barbara 4         - Donna 13 (-2)
     The Brigadier 24   -
    Jo Grant 17   - Victoria 6
    - Sarah Jane 22
    Harry 21 (+1)       - Jamie 24           Leela 20
    __________________________________________________________________________

12: Romana I        13. Tegan
    18. Liz                   19. Nyssa               20. Captain Jack     21. K9
    26. Turlough           27. Romana II
    28. Mickey            29: Adric
    31: Grace               32: Dodo              33: Mel

• Tom Baker is back as the Doctor!!!!!   7 years 49 weeks ago

I've heard that they are to be full-cast dramas - can't wait! Surprised

I have this image of Tom recording round-the-clock to catch up with the output of the other Doctors!! Laughing  (Yes, I know that will never happen! Tongue out

When I think of the time that's been wasted!!! CryFrown

- Ian 20 (+1)          - Zoe 16              - Barbara 4         - Donna 15 (-2)
     The Brigadier 24   -

12: Romana I        13. Tegan
    18. Liz                   19. Nyssa               20. Captain Jack     21. K9
    26. Turlough           27. Romana II
    28. Mickey            29: Adric
    31: Grace               32: Dodo              33: Mel

• Warehouse 13   7 years 49 weeks ago

I've watched both episodes that have been out on SciFi - sory, SyFy.  It's not bad. It's like sugar candy for the brain, you get a bit of enjoyment, but perhaps no real fulfillmet and you've forgotten about it as soon as it's over.

Warehouse 13 runs the typical SciFi/SyFy hour program checklist:  psuedo science, cute girl, cute boy, one has special senses/abilities and one is really smart, add a kooky guy and some comedic writing and you've got either the last six seasons of Stargate SG-1, Eureka, The Invisible Man, Warehouse 13, and myriad others they've tried throughout the years.

I've watched them all, and pretty much enjoy them for the one shot that they are.  So, if you find you've got an hour  you need to fill this summer, I'd try it.

• The Eleven Doctors Special for Children In Need?   7 years 49 weeks ago

Well it will be great to see these doctors again. I still remember the series in my older days in which they launched an eating disorder treatment program. It was a great series and I expect the remake to be even better.

• [SPOILERS!] Epi 5 'Day Five'   7 years 49 weeks ago

Let me begin by saying I like Torchwood as a whole.  The first season wasn't that great, but it obviously held alot of potential.  It improved alot in season two, and began to show some of it's promise.  I was really looking forward to Children of Earth.  The way I saw it, this was the show's chance to really shine.  The first few days of Children of Earth were great, and seemed to be going somewhere interesting.  In the end, it completely fell apart for me.  My biggest problem with Children of Earth wasn't the deaths of Ianto or Jack's grandson, Jack running away, or any of the other issues most others who didn't like it seem to have.  It was the huge plotholes that were never addressed and made no sense that killed it for me.

1- Human Crackpipes.  To begin with, how did this situation come to pass in the first place?  A race of aliens stumbles across the Earth in the sixties, sees some human children and think to themselves, "Wow, I'd really like to create a complicated symbiosis rig to hook these things up to my body chemistry.  I'll bet that could get me nicely toasted."  The premise itself defies explanation, which is why we never get one.  All it explains is why they vomit on a regular basis.

2- A dozen to millions.  Frobisher and the rest of the senior British government are fully aware when the demand for the children comes that this business all started with only twelve children (only eleven as it turns out) forty years ago.  Now these guys are back (after promising never to return), and they want 10% of the kids of the world.  That's an incredibly drastic increase in demand.  The subject never once comes up that these aliens are just going to come back again soon wanting every child on the planet.  These are drug addicts we're talking about here.  The fact that taking every child on the planet would mean shrinking returns later on wouldn't register with them.  That's not how the mind of an addict works, alien or not.

3- Huge Conspiracies.  This conspiracy to hide the truth was fairly believeable on day one.  Hardly anyone knew the truth.  By day four, hundreds of people are aware that the aliens are demanding the Children of Earth.  Despite this, there is never a news leak.  The US government can't even think about starting a small project without a leak showing up on the Drudge Report, yet they somehow manage to keep a lid on a systematic round-up of thousands of children throughout the country by the army?  Not many people know the whole truth, but enough people know enough tiny piceces of the puzzle to blow the lid off the threat to the public.  Somebody always talks.  This doesn't even take into account that fact that every nation on the planet is being held responsible for their own child roundups.  Does anyone think for a second that Iran, Somalia or Zimbabwe would even try to round up their children in a day?  They don't even have the resources to attempt such a logistical feat.

4- Frobisher's kids.  The PM want's Frobisher to smile for the cameras as his children are carted off to be human crack pipes.  Where does this even begin to make sense?  On the whole, people are sheep.  If the government tells them to send their kids to school to be innoculated, that's precisely what most of them are going to do.  Seeing some government stooge on the news isn't going to sway anyone who has doubts.  If anything, it would only reinforce their suspicions.  The fact that one government bureaucrat's family was also taken by the aliens isn't going to console me on the loss of my child one bit, either.  This whole sub-plot was done just to show how dark and extreme they could take things.

It breaks my heart to think that this may be how Torchwood comes to an end as a TV series.  Despite my ultimate dislike for Children of Earth, I still firmly believe that Torchwood continues to have the potential to be a fantastic series.  Despite it all, I live in hope..

• HARRY POTTER 6 (spoilers)   7 years 49 weeks ago

Thanks. I read a lot, too, but when I"m not interested in where a book takes me, I lose interest in finishing a book. I never got through book 2...I left it when the gnomes were being caught by the Weasley's at their house during a summer break I think it was. Yet I read all the Alex Rider books in the span of a month...

- Ian 19                 - Zoe 16           - Barbara 4 (-2)   - Donna 17
     The Brigadier 24   -
    Jo Grant 17     - Victoria 6
    - Sarah Jane 22
    Harry 20               - Jamie 24        Leela 20 (+1)
    __________________________________________________________________________

12: Romana I        13. Tegan
    18. Liz                   19. Nyssa               20. Captain Jack     21. K9
    26. Turlough           27. Romana II
    28. Mickey            29: Adric
    31: Grace               32: Dodo              33: Mel

• Have we a start date?   7 years 49 weeks ago

As to a start date the Beeb is being cagy as usual, sometime in the fall.  But as to the Doctor appearing in SJA, as of this BBC Press Release dated May 27 of this year it is indeed official.

• Have we a start date?   7 years 49 weeks ago

As of now there is no 'official' air date for the new season, but usually the show begins the last week of September and runs for six weeks (airing weekly - two episodes at a time for a full story)

Series 1 began on September 24, 2007 with 'Revenge of the Slitheen'

Series 2 premired on September 29, 2008 with 'The Last Sontaran'

'Invasion of the Bane' was a special and aired on New years 2007

If the BBC follows suit, the BAFTA-nominated series will return around the same time - the last week of September.

BTW: The BBC doesn't usually give an air date until a couple of weeks before airing so we won't get an 'official' air date until mid-September.Wink

• Have we a start date?   7 years 49 weeks ago

I think I remember September being mentioned as around the time that the Doctor will be visiting the SJA.  I could be mistaken, but given the number of episodes in a series, they could just finish up SJA series 3 before Waters of Mars and the final 2 Tenth Doctor adventures at the end of the year if it starts in early September.

- Ian 19                 - Zoe 16               - Barbara 8 (-2)   - Donna 17
     The Brigadier 24 (+1)
    Jo Grant 17         - Victoria 6
    - Sarah Jane 22
    Harry 19               - Jamie 24            Leela 19
    __________________________________________________________________________

12: Romana I        13. Tegan
    18. Liz                   19. Nyssa               20. Captain Jack     21. K9
    26. Turlough           27. Romana II
    28. Mickey            29: Adric
    31: Grace               32: Dodo              33: Mel

- Ian 19                 - Zoe 16               - Barbara 10   - Donna 17 (+1)
     The Brigadier 23
    - Jo Grant 17 (-2)   - Victoria 6
    - Sarah Jane 22
    Harry 19               - Jamie 24            Leela 19
    __________________________________________________________________________

12: Romana I        13. Tegan
    18. Liz                   19. Nyssa               20. Captain Jack     21. K9
    26. Turlough           27. Romana II
    28. Mickey            29: Adric
    31: Grace               32: Dodo              33: Mel

• DEMONS season one   7 years 49 weeks ago

Louis,

I could get the embedded image in initially (when only preview is avilable) and indeed all was well in the preview, however after I 'save' everything was screwed up. It is the two part nature of saving things that seems to induce my problems (well those related to saving YouTube movies Laughing ).

By the way is there a good reason for having to preview your post before being able to save it?

- Ian 19             - Zoe 16                 - Barbara 10
          - The Brigadier 23
    - Jo Grant 19        - Victoria 6
    - Sarah Jane 22   Harry 19 (+1)       - Jamie 24            Leela 19
    __________________________________________________________________________

12: Romana I -1(-2)      13. Tegan
    18. Liz                   19. Nyssa               20. Captain Jack     21. K9
    26. Turlough           27. Romana II
    28. Mickey            29: Adric
    31: Grace               32: Dodo              33: Mel

BTW: the line in my title is from 'Revenge of the Cybermen' - A story with Harry in it.

• HARRY POTTER 6 (spoilers)   7 years 49 weeks ago

To my knowledge J. K. Rowling didn't do any short stories with Harry Potter.

With that being said - there is a lot of fan fiction out there that uses the characters from the books. Some good - some pretty darn awful, just check on the fansites and you're bound to run into something.

Cheers!Smile

As to reading the books - for me it was easy because I'm an avid reader to begin with. That's probably why it was so easy for me.

• DEMONS season one   7 years 49 weeks ago

Those are all still just suppositions, guesses, and opinions on  your part!It was a ratings flop can also be taken as an opinion but also a fact so I'll give you that but no where do you say that it was that you said "in fact"  you suspected...well was it a suspected thing or a fact? Did you know for sure the expense affected the decision...

and the decision was to NOT renew Primeval...if that show wasn't an expensive flop too, maybe it would have gotten renewed of its own merit.

So all of what you are saying is not a fact, it's your opinion, just as mine is that PRIMEVAL could be taken to be just as much an expensive flop too. It has three years to win over an audience and in MY OPINION, it didn't but I don't have the facts of the ratings from last year's PRIMEVAL to the first and third to show decrease or increase. Even if I did and I didn't have privy to the minds of those cancelling and renewing, anything I saw is an opinion.

• THE FIVE DOCTORS   7 years 49 weeks ago

Okay another good part. Lots of Cybermen get killed in various ways: lasers, spears, blasted. I dn't understand why the Cybermen didn't see Tegan the First Doc in the hallway nor why the Cyberleader didn't see the Master had picked up a Cybergun, there was no way he could hide the bulk of it.

Despite this and other flaws, this part is very entertaining and filled with action bits, mostly involving the Third Doctor. The Second Doc and the Brig get to continue their little comedic duo, in caves under the tomb and with a Yeti left over from the games...is it a real Yeti? If so then why is it mean? Is it a robot yeti? Either way, well done as the Doc rummages through his pockets, finds jelly babies and puts them in the Brig's pocket! Neither wants to go through a door that might lead to a trap.

Sarah and the Third Doctor avoid this story's original creation, the well remembered, innovative Raston Warrior Robot, which just decimates the other group of Cybermen. They also use its rope to slide across to the Tomb's roof. Sarah is just wonderful here, the correct mix of complaining, warmth, humor and fear. She's probably the most human female companion the Doctor ever had. Inside she displays irrational fear, as does Tegan with the First Doctor, who laughs it off after telling her what she feels. The appearance of Liz and Mike is interesting just to see them but they're illusions...same as the trick in TIME-FLIGHT and I wish they could have found another way to use Liz and Mike and in the next "episode" Jamie and Zoe. Still, it is good to see all four of them.

THe First Doc doesn't know the Master for some reason. The Master says believe it or not we were at the academy together, which means they were there but not necessarily in the same capacity. Did someone or something mess with the Doctor's memory?  Or just the First Doctor's? How did the Third recall the Master in TERROR OF THE AUTONS then? If you look at this too hard, it doesn't really jell but why bother? It's not a major plot point.

Love Tegan calling the First Doctor, "Doc" and him snapping at her, "Kindly refrain from referring to me as Doc!"

The Gallifrey scenes are shorter here, I think or they seem shorter and the Castellan is shot dead...and does NOT regenerate, so Time Lords that are shot don't just regenerate (RTD!) here but they do in Big Finish Alt Doctor stories and in the new show (LAST OF THE TIME LORDS)...

Again, another good part. A good celebration...also a good mystery, I had no idea who was doing these things although I did suspect Flavia or one of the guards...  the original idea was to have the First Doctor be the traitor ....as he wasn't really the First Doctor...

• THE FIVE DOCTORS   7 years 49 weeks ago

The Five Doctors 2

I know this was shown as a long movie, and it went by fast and it was very enjoyable. Anyway in this part Sarah Jane remeets the Third Doctor and ther'es no BOO HOO you left me, I thought you were dead, you were my life bull garbage. Sarah never changes and her lines here are funny, and her annoyance at being dragged here is funny and her confusion is just as good as it was in PLANET OF THE SPIDERS when he regenerated. Her interplay, in fact, everyone's interplay is just well done. You see, crossovers need a story and there is one here and a mystery besides and it also needs time to have the characters meet who haven't yet or have but a long time ago. This does all of that marvelously.

The First meets the Fifth, who also remeets Susan and they interact with Tegan and Turlough. At the time this was first on, my cousin was a little boy and he found Tegan's interaction with the First Doctor quite funny. I found the First Doctor excellent here. Tegan is most funny when interacting with him and not at all the nag of previous stories or seasons. Her "Hang on a minute" when asked to get refreshments is funny as is the Fifth's reactions to the First and vica versa. I think the First finds the Fifth a bit out of his depth and he rolls his eyes often.

The Second gets to sing a song and his interaction with the Brig as they make their way into the Tower or to the Tower is spot on. "Are  you in pain, Doctor?"  The Brig asked as the Doctor sang the nursery rhyme. "Age hasn't mellowed you, Brigidier." Just well done and a terrific spotlight for Troughton (unlike THE TWO DOCTORS).

The Cybermen: there seem to be more than two dozen milling around and after The Third Doctor (Who never really appeared with them although they made brief cameos, ever so brief in THE MIND OF EVIL (I think) and CARNIVAL OF MONSTERS. Sarah also gets to meet the Master and the Master has a brilliant scene with Jon's Doctor who is in Bessie. Ainley is in top form in this entire story, even in the duller Gallifrey conference scenes. "A universe without the Doctor scarcely bears thinking about."  He's THAT good in this.

The location stuff still looks great the Death Zone looks misty, gravely, field-ish, forest-like, stoney, and wet. And the cast carry on like troupers.

Davison is touted, often, as the Doctor who works on Gallifrey. Well, that maybe be true, however it might be true because he and they are boring. When he gets tranmatted via the Master's recall homing device, he gets to go to Gallifrey or rather out of  Gallifrey's death zone (some confusion remains in the script as to the Death Zone being out of Gallifrey or part of Gallifrey, even being in the Heart of the Time Lord paradise whatever that means but for the most part it seems the Death Zone is on Gallifrey so how can Flavia return to Gallifrey from the Death Zone in the ending?). Anyway the Gallifrey scenes in the High  Council Chamber are not terrible, nothing here is but ...they slow things down considerably. When the Castellan mentions the Doctor wants revenge it could do with ARC OF INFINITY's sub plot.

Either way, this story is still very well done and this "episode (as it was shown in some places as episodes later on after the first airing as a 90 min movie)"  is as good as the first. One thing that is annoying is that Susan and Turlough are afraid a Cyberman bomb can destroy the Tardis ? do they know something we do not? I guess maybe just maybe one of their bombs can be designed to damage a TARDIS...

In any event, the joy at seeing the Master with the Cybermen and Susan with Turlough and all the rest is just one aspect of this special story, which truly is special. How the show can carry on as normal after this is beyond me. Then again, this season saw the Master, Omega, the white and black Guardians, the Master again, the Mara...and now all this...and truthfully I didn't mind one bit. I found it added to the DW mythos and helped Davison find his feet.  Troughton and Pertwee seem to have a ball doing what they do best and it shows. Hurndall as the First is jsut as good and has difficult shoes to fill but he does it admirably and to be honest, he was, for me on first viewing, just the best thing about this. I love a hero who is old, cranky, and bossy. It's so...British....or at least it was. Nowadays British heroes are love lorn vampires and/or small magical boys, nothing wrong with that but for once, I liked that an old man could be the main character in a science fantasy show. Or a little man like the Second Doctor.

Oh and Gallifrey, or at least the Death Zone, has a paved road apparently with a street sign!

• HARRY POTTER 6 (spoilers)   7 years 49 weeks ago

I don't think the books are bad, they're just not my cup of tea. Also thanks for the info. Are there short stories in the Potter universe?

• DEMONS season one   7 years 49 weeks ago

If read my reply properly I say that the FACT that this series was an expensive flop, probably affected the desicon to renew Primeval,  Has Primeval been renewed?  No, so therefore the mistake that was Demons made ITV edgy about big budget dramas and they wielded the axe.  It's hardly rocket science!

Demons was an expensive mistake, millions of people thought it was crap and didn't watch it the week after.  There's your FACTS.

How do you rate Doctor Who: Thin Ice? (5=Fantastic)