• [SPOILERS!] Epi 1 'Day One'   4 years 41 weeks ago

The funny thing about the above post is that all I saw was Chase I would love to take...

me out? To dinner? :)

uhm, I didn't say i've seen it. I just reacted to the other person's response and the fact that it's another earth shattering story. When I've seen it, I'll reveiw it

• SNAKEDANCE   4 years 41 weeks ago

2-3

That was pretty good too. Lon is not as irritating as when first viewed, his mum makes sense in a way that clueless characters often do, and Nyssa' dress is still awful. She on the other hand is much better, Sutton putting in a better performance. It's also nice to see the Doctor trying to solve a problem by talk and meditation...which doesn't really work for him in this situation. ANd in ep 3 yes, he's trapped in a cell but Davison makes the most out of it and does well IMO. Chela's a nice new shiny companion, this week's replacement for Adric really. Fielding is still in top form despite some silly voice modulating and the set for the cave entrance  from the outside looks like STAR TREK-THEAPPLE's set. All in all a good pair of episodes, detailing just enough to give us more and find out who the old man is that is sitting cross legged since ep1's very beginning. One odd thing is that at some point during the end of ep2 or beginning of 3, the Doctor says, "It must be the Mara,"  when he and we have known it all along. And geeze, is Lon tall and well built. And Chela is very good looking. Seems JNT was giving the mum's something to look at as well as the dads (I mean Nyssa and Tegan, God help em or do I?). Anyway I'm sure there's more to say about these two eps but really they're quite diverting. The Mara is scary and yet...it doesn't really kill anyone at least not yet. It does control the showman but...and takes over Lon but has it killed anyone yet?

The cliffhanger at the end of 3, despite Nyssa's scream, is quite good.

• Arc of Infinity   4 years 41 weeks ago

Better. I've noticed that when Davison and his companions are out and about in location stuff, there's a freshness to even some of the lamest stories, case in point. I don't understand why Borusa tells Omega that Hedin is dead, calls him a friend to Omega but doesn't give him any of the details. Then to find the location, the 5th Doc is most manipulative in the matrix and he too, also tells Omega that Hedin died and it was "an accident" but says no more! Dumb.

Tegan's pretty cool throughout. I also can't understand despite all manner of adventures and having an Earth link in the first half of this story or at least by ep3 and Tegan, Nyssa and the Doc don't carry any Earth money. There's sure to be some on the TARDIS someplace! Also in scenes that were cut Borusa keeps the stupid Castellan on and events in FIVE DOCTORS make you rethink this scene. It looks like Borusa is being nice here but is he? In lieu of him making the Castellan his patsy in FIVE DOCTORS, maybe he just kept him on to make him the fall guy for himself later on! He also says somethign strange in the cut scene, something like we make mistakes and something about it tells us about how we profit from them. WTF? Is this castellan the same one from INVASION OF TIME, Kelner? If so, why wasn't Kelner in jail but then again Time Lords are so ruthless and their politics so stupid, he probably was kept on!

Love the JNT sequence and the missing scene of the Doctor and the map and love the romp about Amsterdam, enlivening yet another dull story which sagged in the middle. The studio stuff makes things dull. And...does the Doc really want Tegan back? His expressions and "giving up" look say no, while Nyssa seems to scream YES!

Okay Nyssa scream full on and takes forever to fire the gun at the monster. AND the gun that was it's own gun makes it vanish for good but when Tegan, Colin, and Robin were shot, they vanished into Omega's TARDIS. WTF? I guess the gun kills bad guys n not good guys.

There's a lot going on in the chase at the end and the location is used rather well and looks so nice.  Davison gives his Omega a great deal of depth especially when he goes to see the statue song show thingie (just why are kids interested in THIS boring show? oh no DW, the statue musical turning thingie--I guess there were less video games back then) where a kid pushes past him and Omega (Davison) gives him a horrid look but then the kid turns and smiles at him and Omega seems to smile and melt at this...perhaps realizing life is good now. It's an almost sympathetic turn and akin to FRANKENSTEIN just before he kills, accidentally, a little girl picking daises...which made me wonder if Omega would kill this blond kid. He doesn't. But the rest of the chase is just as good...

I love when the Doc examines, quickly a man that has been pushed over by Omega and delares to Tegan that he's be allright but the two girls stop and talk to him to make sure. The Doc reappears and snaps, "He'll be allright!" and then they run on. Brilliant!

The Doc effectively kills Omega. The bastard. But he saved us.

A good end to a story that had a good first ep and two boring ones in the middle. But...was Colin allright in the end? He seemed to be wearing a Lynard Skynard shirt!

- Ian 15              - Zoe 14                   - Romana I 11          - Barbara 13
    - Liz 2
    - Vicki 6                 - The Brigadier 21
    - Stephen 7        - Jo Grant 18             - Tegan 3                - Victoria 8
    - Polly 7             - Sarah Jane 18          - Ben 10
    Harry 17
    - Jamie 20 (+1)         Leela 16

__________________________________________________________________________

19. Nyssa 0 (-2)      20. Captain Jack      21. K9
    22. Rose                 23. Peri                 24. Ace                 25. Martha
    26. Turlough           27. Romana II
    28. Mickey            29: Adric
    31: Grace               32: Dodo              33: Mel

• [SPOILERS!] Epi 2 'Day Two'   4 years 41 weeks ago

Yes, I forgot to mention that Day Two is a very revealing episode of Torchwood. Wink

• David Tennant to Star in St. Trinian's Sequel   4 years 41 weeks ago

He must owe someone a favour, these series' of films aren't the best.  Chase will love them though!

• [SPOILERS!] Epi 1 'Day One'   4 years 41 weeks ago

Chase I would love to take you to task on this episode of Torchwood, anyone who calls RTD crap after this clearly doesn't know good television when they see it.  And i've seen your lists.....

• [SPOILERS!] Epi 2 'Day Two'   4 years 41 weeks ago

Not sure what's gone wrong with Torchwood, as i'm loving this!  Maybe it's because RTD is fully involved again?

Some great moments, including every sceen that Kai Owen was in, his 'backing acting' was utterly priceless, especially the stuff in the Cafe!  Not much Jack in this episode and I think it was a lot better for it.

Can't wait for tonight's episode!

• [SPOILERS!] Epi 2 'Day Two'   4 years 41 weeks ago

Not only was there lots of Captain Jack's bum.... there was also Captain Jack FULL FRONTAL NUDITY!!!!! *explodes*

Ok, now that my brain has recovered from that.

Day Two was great, still not as fangirl melt inducing, action packed, and edge of your seat as Day One, but I still loved it.

Was a little suprised and saddened to see the Millenium centre go kabooy, but glad Jack was fine (I was kinda expecting that he would recover something similar to the way he did)

Gwen kicked serious butt in this, and Rhys was awesome, Ianto's brother in law Johnny? was great too (was it just me or was this the nudity episode, Jack and Johnny?) and I was kind of on the edge of my seat at the end, worrying about the team and whether they would all be ok.

So big huzzah for Ianto's sister's and her car and for Ianto for saving the day ala Captain Jack style "here he comes on a ruddy big tractor"

Saddened a little that Jack and Ianto didn't have a whole happy reunion snog (that would of been epic to see!!) but I guess they didn't have the time xD

And yay! PC Andy!

Still great... bring on tomorrow!

WE ARE HERE!!

• Paul McGann in "Helen" at the Globe Theatre in London   4 years 41 weeks ago

He joins the previously announced Pennie Downie in a cast that also includes Holly Atkins, Philip Cumbus, Jack Farthing, Diveen Henry, James Lailey, Penny Layden, Fergal McElherron, Rawiri Paratene, William Purefoy, Ian Redford, Ukweli Roach, Tom Stuart, Graham Vick and Andrew Vincent. Learn how a creditcard works, from the magnetic stripe to how you can get rid of that high interest balance.

• This Week In Doctor Who (Omnibus) - June 19/20, 2009   4 years 41 weeks ago

The Doctor Who Omnibus collected together three of Target's novelisations from the ... is familiar to millions who each week wait impatiently for the next ... Pain Management NJ

• The Eleven Doctors Special for Children In Need?   4 years 41 weeks ago

“Nothing has been finalised yet, although there is discussion of a Children in Need Doctor Who special. It is too early to say what.” ...  liposuction

• [SPOILERS!] Epi 2 'Day Two'   4 years 41 weeks ago

Day One was fantastic, yes, and definitely edge of your seat, but it felt like a catch up job to me: here are these relationships that fans of the previous season know quite well but that need to be quickly established for the new BBC One viewer. As such, they were over-exaggerated cut outs of the actual relationships themselves (best example being the "couple" lines in the very begining). So even though Day One was perilous and exciting, as an established fan I found the characters lacking.

Day Two, however, makes up for this. They've established the basics of the characters relationships, and now they're back to full sailing. So even though it wasn't as grip-the-edge-of-your-seat-exciting as yesterdays (and I mean that quite literally, my hands were cramped when it was over) it felt much more like the Torchwood I know and love. So all in all I personally feel like Day Two was a big success, and I like it much better in retrospect than I do Day One.

Plus, Captain Jacks bum helped :3

• [SPOILERS!] Epi 2 'Day Two'   4 years 41 weeks ago

It is a good episode. Perhaps not 'on the edge of your seat' as Day One, but still a good chapter in the overall story. It advances the story along a bit, again not as much as Day One, but it's not unexpected.

• [SPOILERS!] Epi 1 'Day One'   4 years 41 weeks ago

Well I thought that that was excellent, if a little 'Midwich Cuckoo-like' (not that that is a bad thing)

Off the wall idea, but I was wondering if the bomb was how Jack became the face of Boe - Just a head left. I think I am wrong, because I'm pretty sure I saw a burnt Jack in the 'next time' trailer.

The whole thing reminds a bit of the Primeval plot with the MI6 people coming after the ARK. Lots of plot twists hope it carries on at this quality with a decent ending rather than say going from 'the stolen earth' into the rubbish 'journey's end'.

Day two is slowly traveling towards me on the 'red eye'. I will try to listen to the radio prequels as well tomorrow.

• From the Beginning: The First Doctor   4 years 41 weeks ago

I do see what you are saying or rather writing. I too like Ian and Barbara, Ian probably more as I think Russel is a better actor but whatever. The thing is that DW to be what it became and is today, it had to change and if it survived through the loss of Susan, Ian and Barbara it could survive almost anything (except mid 1980s poor scripts) or any change. Much of what covered for changes in cast...the team didn't think worked...is what became the narrative of the show rather than the rip off stories that filled the series later on...

Vicki's coming and going, Steven's coming and being for a short time the only male companion and even carrying a few episodes himself, Susan's sad departure and telepathic nature (which came and went fast as did Nyssa's later on), and the Doctor's erratic nature all came from here. Then we got the UNIT type stories later on (well only one or two in WAR MACHINES and TENTH PLANET)...it was clear Dodo didn't work at all and then we got the first of the blondes that Doctor was so fond of in Polly and she was really hip and forward...the first of her type...although she ends up just making tea or coffee some of the time.

Hartnell's flubs: I don't imagine that all of them are accidents. I think he imbibed his Doctor with these purposely. Notice how he doesn't do them when he's someone else in MASSACRE.

For the stories there are, to me, only one or two bad ones. GALAXY FOUR is almost unwatchable today merely because it kept making me fall asleep. Also that Hollywood 1920s ep during DALEK MASTERPLAN was one of the worst of the entire Hartnell series if not the entire series but the rest of that long, long story kept me attending. It should have set the precedent for longer stories such as FRONTIER IN SPACE into PLANET OF THE DALEKS or WAR GAMES and INVASION. And it did. And it made the Daleks dangerous after THE CHASE made them jerks.

Ahh, yes THE CHASE. It will always be for me, MYSTERY SCIENCE THEATRE material. It's so bad, it's funny. I mean Mechanoids saying, "Crap," is just too funny and ep6 is a hoot.

Thing is Barbara and Ian as much as I liked them couldn't stay and keep the quality going. To be honest, the least interesting, IMO, First Doctor spinoff novels are the ones with Barbara and Ian...there was only so much that could be further done with them although I rather liked the recent COMPANION CHRONICLE with Ian and First Doctor on the sailing ship to Australia. That was grand (or maybe it was New Zealand). Point is that things had to change and change made the show what it is...for better or worse and I think it's for better to be honest.  If one does not read the news reports, one would never know when or if a comp is leaving or to be killed off, if a new problem is created by an old advesary or if the Doc is about to change his body and face...if Ian and Barbara stayed to the end, it wouldn't be the same and it would not be as good as their leaving was...not sure that makes sense  but there  you ahve it.

No, she doesn't. Have you seen Tegan's ankles? :)

- Zoe 14                   - Romana I 11          - Barbara 13
    - Liz 2
    - Vicki 6                 - The Brigadier 21
    - Nyssa 2
    - Stephen 7                - Jo Grant 18            - Tegan 5 (+1)minus 2=3

Harry 17
    - Jamie 18 (-2) PLUS ONE =19         Leela 16

__________________________________________________________________________

20. Captain Jack      21. K9

• From the Beginning: The First Doctor   4 years 41 weeks ago

Okay there's one major difference between POISON SKY (which I loved btw), JOURNEY'S END (which I pretty much hated on first viewing) and the others on the NEW show and the TENTH PLANET. The TENTH PLANET is supposed to, at the time of airing, take place in the near future. The NEW show has all these things taking place in the present day and then changing the universe of the series for good...or as in the case of the dumb Master story LAST OF THE TIME BORES, not at all or maybe a little bit (I think the human beings are still destined to becomes the disgusting Toclafane--that's an UP story line for you!). So in my book TENTH PLANET does not do what these others have done and for that matter, if you count them up, the First Doctor era did this type of thing what, maybe twice if you count WAR MACHINES and TENTH PLANET. The Tenth Doctor error has done it most likely over ten times!

Onto the other stuff: I like that Ben doesn't want to really kill the Cyberman that falls into his trap. I like his bravado here. There's alot of things that don't make sense and for those you can check out ABOUT TIME 1. Polly makes a great companion here and what there is of Hartnell is rather good, however in the very last scenes on the Cybership he looks...somewhat wide eyed and out of it and this seems put on and maybe more over the top than he's EVER been.

Another thing about TENTH PLANET: the Doctor's actions DID doom the Commander's son...he somehow survives anyway and it's all explained. However, the Commander becomes the villain and is about to kill the Doctor...and for good family reasons! That's a twist and to add to that further, the commander, whom one would expect to be the ally of the Doctor and he almost so was, is the enemy and he's killed by the Cybermen, who save the Doctor!

Yeah, there's alot  of  bad science. Years ago when I first saw this, I thought it was a lot of men in uniform looking at screens and looking dour in the face and there's a lot of that but I guess I don't mind it as much as it seems, one ep at a time, so fresh...in a 50s-60s way, almost like DOPPLEGANGER aka JOURNEY TO THE FAR SIDE OF THE SUN or Gerry Anderson, done BBC cheapo. Still i't is not a bad story and seeing Cybermen in the snow is chilling and  scary and the way they talk is...unique. I'm glad they don't talk that way in every ep but here, i't is different and scary...at first it's a bit funny too.

Strange Double post

Before there are any complaints, I am Scottish and I have worn a kilt, so I am entitled to make the joke if I want!

- Liz 2
    - Vicki 6                 - The Brigadier 21
    - Nyssa 2
    - Stephen 7                - Jo Grant 18            - Tegan 5 (+1)
    - Polly 7             - Sarah Jane 18          - Ben 10                   - Victoria 8
    Harry 17
    - Jamie 18 (-2)          Leela 16

__________________________________________________________________________

20. Captain Jack      21. K9
    26. Turlough           27. Romana II
    28. Mickey            29: Adric
    31: Grace               32: Dodo              33: Mel

- Ian 15              - Zoe 14 (+1)            - Romana I 11          - Barbara 13
    - Liz 2
    - Vicki 6                 - The Brigadier 21
    - Nyssa 2
    - Stephen 7                - Jo Grant 18            - Tegan 4 (-2)
    Harry 17
    - Jamie 20                 Leela 16

__________________________________________________________________________

20. Captain Jack      21. K9
    26. Turlough           27. Romana II
    28. Mickey            29: Adric
    31: Grace               32: Dodo              33: Mel

• The Best Series Ever Made   4 years 41 weeks ago

Of the four hundred or so shows you mention, I have only ever followed about 20 of them religiously (i.e wouldn't miss an episode if at all possible). There are probably another 20 or so that I wouldn't turn off if I found them on (mainly american sit-coms).

However, the vast majority, I have either never watched, never heard of or have actively turned off, as mind numbing drivel!

Even many I watched as a kid (Logan's Run, The Six Million Dollar Man, Airwolf, Automan, Street Hawk) are dreadful when re-watched today. Even the nostalga factor cannot save them from their obvious awfulness. It is testament to the really good shows (Dr Who, Star Trek, The Avengers, Space 1999, UFO, Sapphire and Steel, Lost in Space) that they still seem to have merit today. This doesn't even apply to just the really old shows, I rewatched the first season of the X-files recently and thought it seemed pretty poor (and I was a fairly hardcore x-files fan in my time, at least for the first three or four seasons).

One advantage of growing up in the UK with only three channels (which basically never showed re-runs) was that they sifted through the dross and typically only US shows of some merit (even if it was just in the things exploding catagory) ended up on TV.
    This being said, BBC2 did pick up Quatum Leap for some unknown reason.

Rather than just listing everything made, why not recommend those series which are particularly worth watching (for their quality, not just nostalga reasons - particularly if you have rewatched any episodes recently just to confirm this fact). I for one like to be pointed to particular episode of exceptional quality, especially if they are availble on Netflix, or similar rental service.

• From the Beginning: The First Doctor   4 years 41 weeks ago

And so I have watched the 132 episodes of the Hartnell era in the last 151 days (one day over 5 calander months), which averages at slightly more than six episodes per week.

Prior to this endevour, I had seen the Unearthly child (first episode only), the Daleks (thanks to a BBC2 re-run), the Aztecs (DVD last year), the Dalek invasion of Earth (DVD 3 years ago) and the War Machines (DVD, this January). I had also read the Targent novelization of the 'Tenth Planet'. This was the full extent of my first Doctor exposure (except for the Three and Five Doctors).

So what did I discover. Well for the first two seasons, the programme should have been called the 'Ian and Barbara journey through  Time and Space' not 'Doctor Who'. They dominated every story as far as I'm concerned and after they left I think that the show struggled to find itself again.

Although I really liked Vicki, she was a great substitute for Susan, not Barbara. Likewise Steven just could not fill the gap left by Ian. This may have to do with the fact that the storylines had been written for the original characters and the new companions were handed out the lines and roles, as the situation presented. I suspect that this meant the new characters couldn't establish themselves well, as all their lines were someone elses leftovers.

Ultimately, the two comapions from the future (Steven and Vicki) did not sit as well with the viewers, as those from a contemporary time did. At the end of Hartnell's tenure, I think we saw the producers try to address this with Dodo, then Polly and Ben. Strangely enough, I think that the show may have fared better with companions from the future, namely Bret Vyon and/or Sara Kingdom (both of whom were very strong characters like Ian).

With regards to the Doctor, I'm afraid that he still seems like a grump old Uncle to me, who often goes out of his way to agrivate his travelling companions. Although he mellows as series three progresses, he is still grumpy. The number of lines which Hartnell manages to fluff is really quite amazing, easily 3x all the lines fluffed by all the other actor combined.

To be honest, I think if the Beeb had not replaced Hartnell at this point the show would never have made a fifth season, as the second half of the third season saw was floundering terribly, after a solid first and second series relying of Willaim Russell and Jacqueline Hill.

So I am glad I watched everything and am glad for the really good stories in there, which for the record, I believe to be:

1) The Daleks
    2) Marco Polo
    3) The Keys of Marinus
    4) The Aztecs
    5) The Dalek Invasion of Earth
    6) The Romans
    7) The Chase (yes Chase, it's in my best stories list)
    8) The Dalek's Masterplan (well most of it)
    9) The War Machines
    10) The Tenth Planet

This is not bad as it is about 1/3 of the total number of stories.

And so onto the Second Doctor (whom I have had even less exposure to)

• From the Beginning: The First Doctor   4 years 41 weeks ago

Although this is a favorite story on mine (thanks to the Target novelization) I had never watched it.

I really enjoyed the story, but was a little put out that Hartnell wasn't present in his second to last episode (was this a sign he was really ill? or that he had fallen out with the producers?).
    These early cybermen really were kind of cluncky (and if I'm not mistaken had ordinary human hands)

The Good

I really enjoyed the way the titles were done and the little jingle added over the music. Polly and Ben are shaping up as good companions (though I still find Ben's Cockney annoying). The dead cyberman bodies were interesting for the time (and no gold was required). The location of the base at Antartic was a good setting.

The Bad

Okay, the science in here is really bad. Earth's 'twin' planet being identical except upside down. It can move towards the Earth and it's gravity interfere's with earth orbiting spacecraft, yet the gravity changes have no impact upon the Earth or the Moon (i.e. ripping the planet apart, Tidal waves etc etc.)

Most troubling of all is Mondas's power draining effect. This must be natural, because if it were due to cyber technology they would either a) turn it off before Mondas explodes b) built it so that it could be shut-off before even bothering to approach the Earth.

The Curious

I have heard it said of the new series, that there are story problems because it obviously doesn't occur in 'our world'. i.e. We know that the earth has never been moved to another part of the universe ('the stolen Earth), We know that a poisonous atmosphere has never been created by catalytic converters (The poison Sky), We know spaceship have never been reported in central London (Aliens of London, The Christmas invasion).

However, this episode place classic Who in that same alternate universe. We know there were not moon landings in the 1980's. We know a new planet was not seen in the sky in 1986. We know that there was not a mysterious worldwide energy drain in 1986 either. So this story obviously, doesn't occur in 'our timeline'.

Of course, this highlights the problem of 'historic' stories and 'sci-fi' stories. In the 'historic' stories history cannot be changed, events must play out as intended. However, it always strikes me as curious that the Doctor has encyclopedic knowledge of Earth's history, but only retrospectively. He never anounces, well we cannot stop the cyberman/Dalek invasion of the Earth because it is common knowledge that it occurred in the year XXXX.

Another thing that reminded me of the modern series was the cybermen them selves. They appeared in groups of three or four. All of these would be destroyed then another group numbering three or four would appear to replace them. Some budgetary constraints never change.

Having heard that 2 Entertain are doing more stories with animated episodes to replace those which are missing, I hope that this story is next on the list because a) only one episode is missing (the important regeneration one) b) it is a seminal story both for the first regeneration and the introduction of a classic monster c) There would be consistancy in animating all the missing cybermen episode (the Moonbase could round of the trilogy where only two episodes are missing).

Overall an 8.5 out of 10, easily the best story since the Dalek Masterplan.

• Ramble With Russel Podcast Updates   4 years 41 weeks ago

Well here you go folks my Ghosbusters Spectacular for you all to enjoy.  First up though I take a side trip and give a Canada Day Report involving one really large line-up for food.  Then you get my review of the 25th Anniversary release of Ghostbusters on Blu-Ray for the first time.  The Busting continues with my take on the DVD release of The Real Ghostbusters on DVD as the guys get animated and wrap things up with Ghostbusters : The Video Game on the PS3 where the original cast of the movies gets called back to kick some more ectoplasmic butt.  Music for this week features the songs Ghost by DeadraveN & Haunted House by Ben Cooper,  both can be found at www.podsafeaudio.com along with the intro song Let's Get Ramblin by Dynamo Snackbar.  Other instrumental music is by the band Mr. Burns and they can be found at .  As always your comments and suggestions are welcomehttp://mrburns.homestead.com/index.html

and can be found at http://ramblingruss.libsyn.com

Russel

How do you rate Doctor Who: The Mark of the Rani? (5=Fantastic)