strict warning: Declaration of views_handler_filter_node_status::operator_form() should be compatible with views_handler_filter::operator_form(&$form, &$form_state) in /home3/gallifre/public_html/vortex/sites/all/modules/views/modules/node/views_handler_filter_node_status.inc on line 13.

• From the Beginning: The First Doctor   7 years 6 weeks ago

Why not give us a rundown of your top Hartnell stories, Dave?

• From the Beginning: The First Doctor   7 years 6 weeks ago

Just letting you guys know that these posts are being read.

The Planet of the Giants was of of my favs.

• From the Beginning: The First Doctor   7 years 6 weeks ago

Quote from Chase: “The Doc and Vicki are getting along; Ian and Barbara seem to be having a romance of sorts and things just seem so...dangerous and yet relaxed all at once. It's like...well, like traveling in a time machine should be...”

I really like this point which Chase makes as it sums up just how I felt about the Romans. What a splendid story. I have been so impressed by so many of the Hartnell stories up until now and had never seen the Romans. In fact, after looking at some of the mixed reviews (something I must learn not to do), I was preparing myself not to like it at all. How wrong I was. This has jumped right up there into my all time list of favourite stories.

I really liked:

·         The beginning – jumping a month forward after the end of the previous episode and the TARDIS covered in vines and mysterious, looking much like one of the ancient ruins which Rome would one day become.

·         The fact that the crew have been there for a long period of time. More and more it is something which bugs me about later stories that the Doctor lands, has an adventure and buggers off again in the space of 24 hours or less. And yet if all of the Doctor’s stories are to be believed about the friends he has made throughout history and the skills which he has learnt then he must have spent some time staying put in a particular space and time. Don’t get me wrong, I know that narratively watching the crew have a nice time for 25 minutes may not make for the best viewing but to allude to this time or to imply that some time has passed before an adventure naturally occurs gives the stories more of a sense of realism. I think that’s what I liked about the beginning to School Reunion, for example.

·         The time travellers wearing the clothes of the time. Just a personal thing but I always like this.

·         The weave of humour and darkness worked really well for me and wasn’t at all jarring. In fact, I felt that the lighter moments highlighted the tension at other points in the story. When Barbara and Ian are enslaved there is a real sense of foreboding, as if this time their luck had finally run out.

·         The Doctor – he’s a new man without Susan – maybe not having somebody refer to him as Grandfather all the time has breathed new life into the old fella. Action hero, mischief maker and just like his tenth incarnation, actively seeking out and enjoying the adventures that he finds himself in. I don’t think I’ve ever seen the Doctor chuckle so much.

·         Ian and Barbara at last seem to be displaying signs of the relationship which we have suspected (hoped) would happen between them. And about time. Loved the fridge jokes and the mock fights. Loved the scene where he steals a jug from the villa as a Roman souvenir.

·         Again a fine cast of supporting characters with strong motivations.

·         Just about everything! Except...

What I didn’t really like:

·         In a word, Vicki. What was the point of her in this story? It really does seem that a third companion is just one too many for a four-part story. She spent the whole story playing the spare wheel, demonstrating no real personality and haing little to do with the main plot development. It’s a shame. I’m not saying that I don’t like the actress, it’s just that she is used badly in my opinion.

But a resounding 10 out of 10. Again. Loved it! Go and buy it and watch it immediately!

- Ian 18              - Zoe 14                - Romana I 5 (-2)   - Barbara 10
          - The Brigadier 23
    - Jo Grant 21           - Victoria 8
    - Sarah Jane 22       Harry 19          - Jamie 24 (+1)      Leela 18
    __________________________________________________________________________

13. Tegan
    14. Stephen           15. Ben                 16. Vicki                 17: Polly
    18. Liz                   19. Nyssa               20. Captain Jack     21. K9
    22. Rose                23. Peri                  24. Ace                 25. Martha
    26. Turlough           27. Romana II
    28. Mickey            29: Adric
    31: Grace               32: Dodo              33: Mel

• Tom Baker is back as the Doctor!!!!!   7 years 6 weeks ago

When looked at critically (as opposed to fondly or emotionally), Tom Baker's readings of the recent-ish Target novels havent been as good as some others. Don't get me wrong, they're listenable enough - but many of the other books have been better read.

I was slightly surprised at that because if anyone remembers his linking narratives for the very first Doctor Who BBC (Troughton) audio cassettes, he was excellent (and some of the subsequent narrators would've done no harm in listening to those).

That said, he remains the top Doc and anything new that involves him will be a complete treat.

• Website Troubleshooting   7 years 6 weeks ago

It doesn't surprise me that certain thing are being cut off temporarily.

Like a new baby - a new website will have 'teething problems'. We just have to work our way through them - and those of us who are not working on the problem, we must be patient while these problems are being worked out.

- Ian 18              - Zoe 14               - Romana I 7          - Barbara 10

14. Stephen 0 (-2)  15. Ben                 16. Vicki                 17: Polly
    18. Liz                   19. Nyssa               20. Captain Jack     21. K9
    26. Turlough           27. Romana II
    28. Mickey            29: Adric
    31: Grace               32: Dodo              33: Mel

• From the Beginning: The First Doctor   7 years 6 weeks ago

I viewed Marco Polo via the Loose Canon reconstruction, which I would say is the best reconstruction I have seen to date. They noted that this story had many more production photos available than any other story, this may be why it worked so well.

I have found the LC reconstructions vary greatly on a story to story basis. The have variously used re-enactments (Galaxy 4), CGI (one of the dalek stories) in addition to the stills and telesnaps. Reproduction quality has varied also (the smugglers was unwatchable) but this is to do with the VCR reproduction rather than the quality of the original reconstruction. On the whole I have preferred the Loose Canon recons to the others I have seen (Butterfly effect and Elphane).

For those stories available as photonovels on the BBC website, listening to the audiobook version whilst manually flicking through the photonovel has been satisfying too, although there is a tendancy to spoil surprises by advancing the pictures before the audio has progressed far enough. None the less the photosnap picture quality ofn the BBC website typically exceed the reproduction quality of the same images used in the video reconstructions.

- Ian 18 (+1)      - Zoe 14               - Romana I 7        - Barbara 10
          - The Brigadier 23
    - Stephen 2          Jo Grant 20
    - Tegan 1
       - Victoria 8
    - Sarah Jane 21     Harry 19
    Jamie 23          Leela 18
    __________________________________________________________________________

15. Ben -1 (-2)       16. Vicki                 17: Polly
    18. Liz                   19. Nyssa               20. Captain Jack     21. K9
    26. Turlough           27. Romana II
    28. Mickey            29: Adric
    31: Grace               32: Dodo              33: Mel

• From the Beginning: The First Doctor   7 years 6 weeks ago

Great concise summary.  I'd never thought of the Ian / Barbara effect before, but you certainly have a great point as to why the series slacked abit after their departure and why Stephen and poor Dodo never seemed to measure up.  What manner of media did you use for your evalulation of Marco Polo (just curious).

I'll try to follow this thread a little more closely for these nuggets.

• [SPOILERS!] Epi 5 'Day Five'   7 years 6 weeks ago

...but he loves Adric.  Go figure.

- Ian 17 (+1)      - Zoe 14             - Romana I 7

16. Vicki                 17: Polly
    18. Liz                   19. Nyssa               20. Captain Jack     21. K9
    26. Turlough           27. Romana II
    28. Mickey            29: Adric
    31: Grace               32: Dodo              33: Mel

• ENLIGHTENMENT   7 years 6 weeks ago

All throughout this story, we've seen hints that Tegan is sort of in love with the Doctor, tantilizing bits of character stuff and in the past we've only really seen a sort of animosity between them. For his part, the Doctor seems unaware of Tegan as a female or as an attractive female. When she first comes out with her dress on, he just harumphs in a Hartnell esque way. Interesting. At the same time, Mariner says he's not in love with Tegan but really he is, he wants life, maybe just as she has but she seems to complete him. For her part, she's really not interested. It would be interesting to see a sequel of sorts if Mariner ever got to return to our realm and went after her. At the same time, if the Eternals had so much power, this ep starts to fall apart but it's still enjoyable. How did Turlough and the Doctor overpower Wrack and her First Mate? If they fall overboard, I guess they have to follow their own rules and go home but how could they lose anyway? Why did the Black Guardian fire up when hit by the Enlightenment (light destroys dark but he's not destroyed)? The whole thing is a bit strange and surreal, even more so than the other eps but not a let down as some places report in their opinion that it was. Turlough tries, at the start to betray the Doctor and does so a few times or at least once, but then turns against Wrack and the Black Guardian. Another good story and a successful end to the triology, all three stories to it soon to be out on DVD as one.

• Tin Dog Podcast   7 years 6 weeks ago
  • Ratings of the 4th Doctor's Episodes...   7 years 6 weeks ago
    e

Since then I've watched these again and these may have changed. There's only about four Tom Baker stories I found pretty bad.

• [SPOILERS!] Epi 5 'Day Five'   7 years 6 weeks ago

I tried to edit and delete the controversial and overly critical posts but I can't delete the two worst ones. Can the moderators delete these two? Thanks and sorry.

• [SPOILERS!] Epi 5 'Day Five'   7 years 6 weeks ago

I've tried to edit it to get rid of it but I can't seem to edit it or delete it and I"m not sure why. Can the moderators delete it? Thanks and sorry.

• Torchwood 3: Days 1-2 SPOILERS!!!!   7 years 6 weeks ago

That was well written, frustratingly scary and realistic and gut wrenching. All throughout or rather when the politicians were talking about their plan to give over the lower end of chldren and save their own, I had the same droppingly dead feeling that I had when watching the horror movie, STEPHEN KING'S THE MIST. I mean if you've seen it you know the feeling of that ending, the worst ending that could possibly happen, happened and a child was involved. ANd the father's plan was jsut as bad as Torchwood's....which was not as bad as giving the kids up but really...

what kind of plan did Jack have? "I'll deal with the aliens" and then...he doesn't and they kill all those people including two major characters...TORCHWOOD, the team, is ineffective. They can't deal with these aliens. I am bloody angry that they made me think they would stop these aliens and then...they didn't!

Anyway this is good in a horrible kind of way, where horrible things happen. Oh and that Nick Briggs from BIG FINISH was bloody good in this..he really made me hate him as the villain or one of the villains...

• Torchwood 3: Days 1-2 SPOILERS!!!!   7 years 6 weeks ago

n

• ENLIGHTENMENT   7 years 6 weeks ago

Another good episode but I am sick of the Black Guardian/Turlough interplay and Mark S overdoes the acting here. I do like Wrack and her crew, but I've always liked pirates if there is a good story. I love PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN but hate the sequel and due to that never saw the third one. So Wrack and her men are overdoing it but that just adds to the Eternal's creepy factor. I thought Davison's Doctor was getting hints that Turlough was not all he was cracked up to be...or worse than he wasn't cracked up to be. There could have been some more mstery factor as to what Wrack was doing but it was clear as soon as she gave word about the sword to Davies that she was using some kind of bomb inside the gifts. I also don't know why Tegan had to dress up for the occasion. I mean would you, knowing you might be in danger and have to run for it? Anyway Wrack stares right at the camera and gives a cliffhanger. There's no getting around it: this story is just good for having been set in space...I mean as a yacht race in space! Nothing can really destroy the wow factor of that, even if it was done in Japanese movies first (some kind of STAR WARS rip off using a yacht space ship, and the excellent anime GALAXY 999 used spaceships so advanced they could look like anything including trains). Another good one.

- Ian 16             - Zoe 14             - Romana I 7 (-2)  - Barbara 10

<<be.

• [SPOILERS!] Epi 5 'Day Five'   7 years 6 weeks ago
    IMO

IMO

• [SPOILERS!] Epi 5 'Day Five'   7 years 6 weeks ago

Frobisher .

How do you rate Doctor Who: The Brain of Morbius? (5=Fantastic)