• Torchwood 3: Days 1-2 SPOILERS!!!!   6 years 7 weeks ago

When you could've easily posted your Day 1-2 stuff under the Day 2 thread. Yeah, you just feel the need to stand out on your own. Undecided

You went into this wanting to hate it, and you come out of it hating it. You looked for every excuse to slag on it in the end. Frown

• [SPOILERS!] Epi 5 'Day Five'   6 years 7 weeks ago

If this was an American mini-series, that is exactly what we most likely would had gotten. An ending where everyone wins and there are no losses or consequence.

And if this were Doctor Who, it would've another giant reset button, like with Last of the Time Lords. I loved this mini-series, but it shouldn't take the spin-off to see the best writing, to see the true moral and ethical questions be raised and answered. In short, RTD should've had the balls to do with this with Doctor Who. Alas, he hasn't.

That said, I'll just repeat the various thoughts I've shared with the Torchwood Yahoo Group:

After Day Three: Well, Day One set the bar awfully high, but so far I think the mini-series is holding up well.

There's a good balance with the characters and the story, which is hard to pull off when you've only got the three central characters, our Torchwood crew, but an entire compliment of supporting characters, all of whom are new to the audience.

After Day Five:

Well, I for one will not be hoping for a series 4. Not because I'm disappointed with this ending, but because I COMPLETELY LOVED THIS ENTIRE DAMN MINI-SERIES!

This is far and away RTD's best writing for the Whoniverse. Not only can they not top this, they'd be daft to even try. They've pinnacled with this, and I'm perfectly content with this being the end of Torchwood.

(And no, I wouldn't watch a Captain Jack-less Torchwood anyways.)

On whether this ruined Torchwood & Jack or made them look weak and ineffective:

Honestly, I thought that at times too. Hell, I thought until they actually threw the solution at us that they'd really go through with sacrificing 10% of the children, something they'd never have the gall to do on Doctor Who (see: Big Red Reset Button in Last of the Time Lords).

But in the end, I felt that the manner in which Torchwood was shown really put them at their full potential: no Hub, short on team members and skills, on the run, and at the mercy of everyone being out to get them.

I suppose the argument could be made that we got too much of the supporting characters, but I felt that each of them was really fleshed out and three-dimensional, rather than paper thin as so many characters had been in the previous two series. Or the fact that Owen and Tosh were wasted.

On top of that, it showed that Jack is willing to make sacrifices. He has in the past, and he did it here. He will likely have to do so again down the road. It's a constant reminder of who he is and what he must be; that he must be something the Doctor cannot be

On Jack sacrificing his grandson:
    Yes, he did, knowing full well it was one child (yes, the only one who was conveniently available), or allow 10% of the world's children to be sacrificed. It was, as I said, the choice he was forced to make.

So obviously Jack should've allowed the 10% to die? Then (in something never stated in the series, but should be in the back of everyone's mind) the aliens come back in a few decades and do this all over again, likely for an even greater sacrifice?

On Jack running away:
    Yes, it did. Which shows that it isn't all clouds and bunnies at the end. It shows that Jack is a very flawed person who struggles to cope with what he did. Some people, like the Doctor, manage. Others, like Jack, run.

Oddly enough, I find that makes him no different than the rest of us

Sorry this ends up being so long, but I wanted to get it all out there at once. :)

• [SPOILERS!] Epi 1 'Day One'   6 years 7 weeks ago

I hate to do this, but... seriously, your schtick is tired and worn out, Chase. I've been vocal of my problems with RTD's writing, but the fact that you tear this entire mini-series apart because RTD wrote it when you hadn't even seen it, and your obvious desire to hate it no matter what, it's not needed at all.

• Possible twist at the end of CoE   6 years 7 weeks ago

That whole 'hitch-hiker' thing was quite a dead end with the plot, wasn't it? But it did serve it's purpose: introduce that doctor to Torchwood, to set them up for the attack by special forces and the destruction of the Hub.

• Question about Comic Con San Diego   6 years 7 weeks ago

All tickets for 2009 San Diego Comic-Con are indeed sold out. 4-day passes have been sold out since mid-March or so. They didn't sell out last year until about 2 weeks before the convention, so obviously the recession isn't keeping people from going.

I believe last year was the first year that they no longer sold memberships - either that or the year before - whether single day or 4-day at the door. It is all online now.

• Syfy rebrand of Sci-fi (US)   6 years 7 weeks ago

While I do understand the business reasons behind changing the name, Syfy is god awful.

• Doctor Who Movie   6 years 7 weeks ago

Yeah, I've said it before, and I'll say it again: Tennant and RTD are leaving Who, and that should be the end of it.

I'll be at the DW and TW panels at San Diego, so we'll see if I have the chance to leave some feedback with the Call Box after each panel is finished. Since they're having Q&A sessions, I'm thinking of questions I could also. Also considering the fact that RTD will be signing at the BBC America booth.

Unlike the other individual mentioned in the Podshock, I don't have an iPhone (or any smart phone for that matter) to blog or tweet my thoughts. :)

• [SPOILERS!] Epi 5 'Day Five'   6 years 7 weeks ago

I've watched for a second time, and I did that because I wondered if my initial thoughts on it werent really fair.

I get what you say Louis about happy endings (or not). But Day 5 hasn't really worked for me. I can certainly see it was brilliantly made - but it was just grim. I'm asking myself if I'm wrong to want Torchwood to be heroic in every way, but the sacrificial child?? It's definitely hardboiled ficture (albeit not it's regular genre) in a primetime weekend slot. As I said, maybe I'm just a big softie (or maybe just an American!)

I've not yet worked out how to quote on the new Forum, but Abersoch's Trainspotting comment absolutely hit the nail on the head.

For all the absolute glory of days 1 to 4, for me personally it's going to be bloody difficult to watch this again now.

• [SPOILERS!] Epi 5 'Day Five'   6 years 7 weeks ago

One thing this reminded me of, retrospectively, is when my college professor told us that he passed all his students with an A during the Vietnam draft because the government decided that anyone who did not get As and lagged down in the grades, would get drafted, a possible deatt sentence. Bless his heart. He was a great world history teacher, too.

- Ian 16             - Zoe 14            - Romana I 9          - Barbara 9
    - Vicki 5            - The Brigadier 22
    - Stephen 4
    - Jo Grant 20       - Tegan 3
             - Victoria 8

- Sarah Jane 20(+1)
    - Ben 5       Harry 18                - Jamie 21
    Leela 18

__________________________________________________________________________

17: Polly 0(-2)

18. Liz                   19. Nyssa               20. Captain Jack     21. K9
    22. Rose                23. Peri                  24. Ace                 25. Martha
    26. Turlough           27. Romana II
    28. Mickey            29: Adric
    31: Grace               32: Dodo              33: Mel

• [SPOILERS!] Epi 5 'Day Five'   6 years 7 weeks ago

Rather than thinking of him as a coward, I thought that it underlined how isolated he felt.  He finally knew how expendable he was.  He was totally hemmed in.  He'd been given orders to carry out and he'd followed them to the letter all his life.  He'd made tough decisions (not all of them correct) but he'd "done his duty" in the name of serving "Queen and Country".  Then at the end of it - with the situation rapidly spiralling out of control - he was told to hand over his family in order to perpetuate the lie that his superiors had created...and all in the name of saving their own necks once the crisis was over.  He began to question the rightness of what he had done and realised that, when push comes to shove, his people weren't interested in doing the right thing but about doing whatever they could get away with and covering their own arses.

I imagine that, with an ultimatum to go on television and show everyone that he was also handing his kids over for innoculation, there would have come an armed escort to make sure he went through with it.  They probably wouldn't trust him enough to make a live broadcast just in case he had decided to go public with the truth.  Perhaps just a pre-record of him kissing the children before they get on board the coaches.  Then what does he do?  How does he look his wife in the face again if he gives up the kids?  Even if she never finds out the truth, HE knows,

So, rather than submit them to the endless suffering they'll undergo.  He decides to go out rather than down.

The ironic thing is, if he'd just stalled it a bit longer or even gone along with the plan, they'd all have survived when Captain Jack took the decision to sacrifice his own grandson.

This was ultimately a horrible story.  It was brilliant and compelling and one of the best things I've seen on TV in a long time but it's left me rather in the same way that the film Trainspotting did.  It's a fantastic film but I've never been able to watch it more than once because it was so bleak and there were so many moments in there that I remember to vividly that it really wouldn't do it justice to see them again without the "oh my God" factor that seeing them for the first time brings.

P,S,  I am glad they decided to give Frobisher a makeover and get rid of the flippers and beak in this story. Wink

Did Ben actually say that?

Also: I vote that we resserect Adric from death, something the 5th Doctor wouldn't do

• TERMINUS   6 years 7 weeks ago

Oh dear, it's all starting to look like a bad 80s video or worse, the cheapie but entertaining slow moving THE STARLOST. If any DW looked really cheap, this is it. I guess it's the costumes and some of the sets as some of the sets look okay. Still, there are not bad cso as in THE STARLOST and the drone bots look menacing and function well. Nyssa pulls her skirt off for no real reason saying she feels as if she's about to explode. On the plus side, the exploits of Tegan and Turlough in the vents under the floor are...well, when I first saw this I thought of it as filler and maybe it is, to keep them busy doing something but to be honest, I find cramped up spaces scary, scarier than any monsters. I once helped wire a church up and crawled through floorboards and in the dark and it was even worse than this.

The sterilzation process and the disease are also scary, made less so here, maybe not to scare kids? I don't know but it all seems to slow down a bit. And the Vanir: Goth Fashion Victims if there can be such a thing. The Center of the Universe? Indeed. And as for the Garm: maybe it if was presented in the dark it could have been atmospheric and if its arrival were scripted and filmed in such a way as to be dramatic...it could have been a real event. Yet here, one of the Vanir just calls it into service and it just lumbers into the light...no real drama, no real tension, no real atmosphere. And it looks daft.

Still, here we don't have monsters and warriors in a cliche mode: the lazars are not evil, just victims, the Vanir are not warriors of the real class but just carriers and toters as one of them says something similar, Olvir is afraid of stuff and even leaves Nyssa to be taken off, Nyssa shows some gumption for once and tries to get away by hitting a Vanir! And the Garm isn't a menacing slobbering ALIEN like monster. As in most of the stories this season, the menace isn't usual. Omega just wanted to get back to his world (for revenge, true), Mawdyrn and his peeps just wanted to die, and who knows what the Mara wanted but it killed no one in SNAKEDANCE. Body horror is in this season too: lazars and disease and Nyssa getting sick; Omega's cornflaking falling apart skin, the snake on the arm, Mawdryn's mutation and brain showing and scars on his face bleeding...yeech, pretty gross and scary.

All in all 2 is not terrible, it just looks like it is and could have been a bit more effective in some scenes...

• [SPOILERS!] Epi 5 'Day Five'   6 years 7 weeks ago

Remember the Doctor's choice in Fires of P - 20,000 to save the world.

And Donna helped him press the button.

daveac

• Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 155   6 years 7 weeks ago

Hi James, Louis and Ken

I have been listening to your podcast for 2 years now and find the new website wonderful.  Thanks for all of your time and effort to give us the scoop on all things Whovian.

I enjoyed your review of Power of the Daleks - it has spurred me to seek out the audio version and sit back and let my imagination fill in all the gaps between the telesnaps.

I also enjoyed your discussion about Jamie as one of Dr. Who's best companions.  Fraser Hines never seems to put in a bad performance and his both innocence to all things technological coupled with a rough and tumble attitude make him a very fun companion to watch.  I especially thought it was fun while watching the Kroton's in the scene where Jamie was aiding the resident scientist in making acid - it had the makings of a Monty Python or Saturday Night Live Sketch.  Furthermore, when Fraser returned to the program in 'The Two Doctors' his energy for the show hadn't skipped a beat and hope that if indeed he is invited to return to the current Dr. Who - he would put in an equally impressive performance.  You mentioned how popular Jamie is vs. the other companions....please check out the current Hurt/Heal: The Companions string that several of us are voting each day on who our favorite and least favorite companions are.  You can find it in the General section of the Forums.

Thanks again, and I look forward to Episode 156.

Mr. Magister

- Ian 16             - Zoe 14            - Romana I 9          - Barbara 9 (-2)
    - Vicki 5            - The Brigadier 22
    - Stephen 4
    - Jo Grant 20       - Tegan 3
             - Victoria 8
    - Polly 1
    - Sarah Jane 19
    - Ben 5 (+1)      Harry 18                - Jamie 21
    Leela 18

__________________________________________________________________________

18. Liz                   19. Nyssa               20. Captain Jack     21. K9
    26. Turlough           27. Romana II
    28. Mickey            29: Adric
    31: Grace               32: Dodo              33: Mel

• [SPOILERS!] Epi 5 'Day Five'   6 years 7 weeks ago

Despite what "Spiked" says about UK science fiction, the Brits can do it and often do it right.

The problem we have over here is that we don't seem to apperictae our own television.  We are unendated with Reality and US shows, which is fine but most of it costs our 'networks' lots of money, so investment on homegrown shows suffer and the shows that are imported are only on a par with most of our own stuff anyway.  I mean Channel 4 famously paid £100m to show 3 years worth of Friends and ER, need I say more!  Any decent homemade drama is labelled 'crap' by most people because it hasn't got a massive hype, budget and American accents!  Sounds strange but it's what i'm told!

• [SPOILERS!] Epi 5 'Day Five'   6 years 7 weeks ago

Essentially he was a coward. Dispate what his long-time work companion says, he was no hero. I thought he was taking the gun to PROTECT his family. Go down fighting!... but unfortunately he was a worm.

Too bad his wife couldn't stuggle to get the gun (perhaps do him in during the process) and save her children.

Good points and I thought that the directing on that scene was wonderful (is it right it use that word?), the way he somberly went into the room, and all we could see was his back and his family in front of him, until he shut the door and their lives were over.  The scene could have told you many things about the man and that's the whole point.  Superb stuff!

Just goes to show how good the previous two series' of Torchwoood could have been!

And on the subject of the unexpected ending - I think it makes a refreshing change.  Too many shows have 'happy endings', when we all know that life isn't like that.  take out the aliens and you could identify many things in everyday life with this series.

If CoE goes down half as well in the US as it's done in the UK, then we're on to a winner!  I'm just hoping that the people in charge don't 'jump ship', this series has proven that the British can do fantasic sci-fi drama and with more investment, we could be on the verge of another golden age of British sci-fi!

• 'Wet' Your Appetite for The Waters of Mars   6 years 7 weeks ago

Thanks Troy. I should had linked the article to your posting in the forum. My apologies.

• [SPOILERS!] Epi 5 'Day Five'   6 years 7 weeks ago

Maybe I'm just soft, but I like my endings when they get the girl, kill the baddies and save the entire planet. That clearly wasnt the case here.

Look at what studios did with Blade Runner after previewing it to test audiences, they forced Ridley Scott (a Brit, by the way) to come back and re-do the ending to make it end on a happier note for the original theatrical release. Not all endings end with the heroes getting gold medals (except the Wookiee) in a grand ceremony, sometimes they end with the hero getting his hand cut off and another frozen and sent to Jabba the Hutt.

• [SPOILERS!] Epi 5 'Day Five'   6 years 7 weeks ago

Also why couldn't Frobisher just take his family and drive away somewhere

• Warehouse 13   6 years 7 weeks ago

I was avoiding it because I'm tired of the BONES/X FILES thing. Still, I bet it was good because FRINGE is pretty good despite it being this decades' X FILES. Yet I dn't know, I wish some of these shows would find a new angle or something.

• [SPOILERS!] Epi 5 'Day Five'   6 years 7 weeks ago

I'm still shocked, I still can't believe what Jack did.  Also why couldn't Frobisher just take his family and drive away somewhere>  Just goes to show that unhappy endings are sometimes the best.

Wonderful piece of Sci-fi, just hope we get to see more.

• [SPOILERS!] Epi 5 'Day Five'   6 years 7 weeks ago

It was bloody wonderful!

• London Film and Comic Comic Con - 18/19 July - Lot's of Doctor Who Guests!   6 years 7 weeks ago

P.S I'll try my best to knock some feedback together Louis!

Fantastic! No pressure, but we will be waiting for what you have to say with baited breath (we should see a Doctor about that... a Doctor! (sorry))... but no pressure of course! Wink

How do you rate Doctor Who: The Brain of Morbius? (5=Fantastic)