• [SPOILERS!] Epi 3 'Day Three'   5 years 20 weeks ago

No, the one at the start of series 2, I just thought it was a bit daft that some old lady knew what Torchwood was, short scene I know but that and the blowfish didn't really put me in the best of moods, still i've forgot all about that!  I'm saying nothing about the one you mentioned.......

• [SPOILERS!] Epi 3 'Day Three'   5 years 20 weeks ago

I haven't seen this yet but by daft old lady do you mean the woman Jack was in love with in the past? I thought she was the most sympathetic character in all of TORCHWOOD, well, except for Rhys actually.

• [SPOILERS!] Epi 3 'Day Three'   5 years 20 weeks ago

As I tweeted eariler, I think we should do some digging and find out if this really is Torchwood that we're watching.  I personally thought the programme was on its last legs after it viewing figures dropped and the BBc cutting back on some of its programming. I couldn't have cared less if it get axed tbh.

Now I love it!  I've always said that Torchwood should get rid of all its annoying traits, because there's a decent program underneath.  And now we're 3 episodes in and I can't get enough of it!  I really do hope we can see more of these five-parters, I think showing them over 5 days has been a great sucess, I've been thinking about nothing all week but getting home and watching Torchwood.  I'll go and have a lie down now!

Oh and I think this is the best casted program i've seen for a while.  Even minor (so far anyway) characters of Ianto's sister and brother-in-law seem believable and sincere.  Much better than a spotty pizza boy or a daft old lady!

• From the Beginning: The Second Doctor   5 years 20 weeks ago

Yes for some reason, this story, slow in spots, is very good. I don't find the opening slow at all and I just love the Doctor's recovery from his "rejuvenation" NOT called regeneration at all yet. Polly and Ben are suitably confused for most of it, the Doctor not helping by talking about himself in third person, and losing his ring. And acting strange. He's a bit scary for a alittle while. I also like Patrick right from the start. His hat, his outfit, his attitude. When he looks into the mirror and sees Hartnell, what was that? A good touch, is what it is. I love the way this planet looks as the mist passses by and there are mercury pools and a murder and this Doctor steps into right away on the planet Vulcan.

I found the story slow with all the various subplots and factions among the colonists but this doesn't mean I didn't like it. They took time to build character and situation and explain it all. Nicely done too. I also like the dark seemingly dead Dalek ship...which harbored some kind of life after all. I like how the Doctor plays his flute and annoys Ben, talks of Marco Polo, having shed his skin like a butterfly, and other stuff he goes on about. He's most amusing. Ben, still thinks it is not the Doctor and I love how the Doctor tells Ben, "When I say run, run like a rabbit."  The Dalek ship is scary. The way they fool the colonists is scary too and beliveable.

I also like how the Daleks act like their friend and their loyal servants. It's most unsettling. It's also unsettling to the main scientist fall apart into madness..and then, I believe, he gets exterminated. But before that the female villain has depth and hides a body when an assistant is killed by "accident" by a Dalek "test". And how classic is it that the Dalek spots the Doctor through it's eye and moves at him, chanting that he is his loyal servant. I love how the Doctor warns everyone time and time again but they dont listen. "Up or down, I want the Daleks taken apart..."

And the stand off between the Doctor and someone who find out he is not the real Examiner from Earth.

And of course Polly's kidnapping (or was it Ben's? or maybe they both got kidnapped at different times?). Either way, all of it was pretty well done. And the final attack of the Daleks on...well, on everyone made them really very dangerous. I felt almost like Polly ("Oh, Doctor please, le'ts go back to the TARDIS and get away) and Annette (spelling?) does a great job of acting as Polly and of being both brave and scared. I love how Ben and Polly adjust to this new Doctor and interact with him.

All in all, a classic and great story to be honest. The ending with the Dalek moving  is strange and done for shock. Patrick is a great Doctor!

• SNAKEDANCE   5 years 20 weeks ago

A good ending slowed down a bit by the silly celebration. I like that the Doctor gets help from a meditating man, a what an illusion or a mental projection from the man from where he really was? Either way it doesn't matter as this ending is both different and unusual. The story is overall rather good but rather strange. I never thought I'd say this but it was probably on the same level or better than KINDA but of course KINDA had the advantage of having Adric in it. Davison does some very Doctor-ish things here but overall the ending is pretty good. Not sure what else to say except that Lon's outfit for the ceremony was outlandish and terrible. The snake stuff...well, the Mara really isn't a snake is it? It's bad snake effects for the most part but that doesn't bother me at all. I love the last scene with Tegan crying and the Doctor putting his arm around her...barely. Entertaining  and engaging story.

• [SPOILERS!] Epi 3 'Day Three'   5 years 20 weeks ago

How good is Torchwood turning out to be?

Totally enthralled.

However I do have a bone to pick with RTD... at the end of DW series 3 I wrote a Who script which I sent to him. No... I didn't think he would read it let-alone respond to it, but if you don't ask you don't get right. Anyway, I'm sure I see some of my set pieces in this TW adventure, mmmm get me my lawyer!

back to the real world... 456 = Macra!?!?!

WILX

• From the Beginning: The Second Doctor   5 years 20 weeks ago

Well this is the first reconstruction which I had that was such poor quality as to make unwatchable. Eventually, I downloaded the BBC Audio from i-tunes ($10.95). I listened to this whilst forwarding through the telesnap photonovel of the story on the BBC website. This was an agreeable way of taken in the story.

A pretty good story, although it was slow to start. It wasn't until relatively far on that I got the 'pun' in the title of the story.

After struggling with the character of the first Doctor for the last five months, and never really taking to him, I was relieved that I liked the Second Doctor almost immediately. Does he carry on wearing the tall hat for very long? It is kind of StooPiD Smile.

I pretty much agree with all that was said in the Podshock 155 review. It is not quite as good as the Tenth Planet, but is a good strong story with a classic villian.

I was amazed that they had managed to take the Dalek ship back to the laboratory when we saw the size of the 'production line' that was inside it.

I think I also spotted a young Marcus Scarman in there if I was not mistaken.

Overall an 8/10 and a good start to the new Doctor.

• [SPOILERS!] Epi 1 'Day One'   5 years 20 weeks ago

I watched Day One last night - managed to get BBC iPlayer working in US using some jiggery-pokery with my work's VPN connection!  I really should not make that a habit, boss might get mad....!

Anyway, Children of Earth Day One was, in my opinion, absolutely fantastic.  While it's great that fans can still see the connections to the Who universe, it's really not necessary for new viewers to know there is any connection, and I felt for the first time that Torchwood has matured into a great show in it's own right - not under the shadow of Doctor Who any more.  For S1 and to a lesser extent S2, I always had the nagging feeling that if Torchwood wasn't a Who spin-off, I probably wouldn't watch it.  After Day One, I don't feel that any more.

As to the actual episode itself, I thought it did a great job in portraying just how creepy the whole children stopping thing would actually be.  The government conspiracy thing is very intriguing - obviously the British government did something to REALLY tick-off this alien race, whomever they are, and I for one can't wait to find out what.  C'mon who doesn't love a good conspiracy!!

I really liked the humanising of Jack and Ianto by introducing family connections, in particular the situation with Jack's daughter and grandson was both interesting and heartbreaking at the same time.  I also liked that they are addressing Jack and Ianto's relationship in a realistic and mature manner.  I thought the relationship in S2 seemed more played for controversy, and not necessarily too believable, however here they are dealing with the personal consequences of it, and I really like and respect that.

Also, Gwen as action hero at the end!  Fantastic!!

- Ian 15              - Zoe 14                   - Romana I 11          - Barbara 13
    - Vicki 6                     - The Brigadier 21
    - Stephen 7        - Jo Grant 18              - Tegan 3                - Victoria 8
    - Polly 5 (-2)      - Sarah Jane 19 (+1)    - Ben 10
    Harry 17
    - Jamie 20                 Leela 17

__________________________________________________________________________

18. Liz                   19. Nyssa               20. Captain Jack     21. K9
    22. Rose                23. Peri                  24. Ace                 25. Martha
    26. Turlough           27. Romana II
    28. Mickey            29: Adric
    31: Grace               32: Dodo              33: Mel

- Ian 16 (+1)      - Zoe 14                   - Romana I 11          - Barbara 13
    - Vicki 6                     - The Brigadier 21     - Stephen 7
    - Jo Grant 18
           - Tegan 3
                      - Victoria 8
    - Polly 7
    - Sarah Jane 18
    - Ben 8 (-2)               Harry 17                - Jamie 20
    Leela 17

__________________________________________________________________________

18. Liz                    19. Nyssa              20. Captain Jack     21. K9
    22. Rose                 23. Peri                 24. Ace                 25. Martha
    26. Turlough           27. Romana II
    28. Mickey            29: Adric
    31: Grace               32: Dodo              33: Mel

• [SPOILERS!] Epi 2 'Day Two'   5 years 20 weeks ago

So far, I am enjoying Children of Earth. It's gotten off to a fairly strong start, which I hope holds for the remaining episodes. I really felt sorry for Jack for what he's been put through so far. I half expected him to recover the way he did though. Good for Ianto, being the hero this time around. Absolutely loved Gwen and Rhys working together, especially Rhys stepping up to the plate and partnering Gwen so well. Once I'd heard that Eve Myles was pregnant, I knew that it would show up in Torchwood, so not very surprised by that plot point.

- Vicki 6                     - The Brigadier 21
    - Polly 7             - Sarah Jane 18          - Ben 10
    Harry 17
    - Jamie 20                 Leela 17 (+1)

__________________________________________________________________________

18. Liz 0 (-2)          19. Nyssa              20. Captain Jack     21. K9
    26. Turlough           27. Romana II
    28. Mickey            29: Adric
    31: Grace               32: Dodo              33: Mel

• [SPOILERS!] Epi 2 'Day Two'   5 years 20 weeks ago
    UNJ

Unexpected naked Jack… is really not that unexpected.

• From the Beginning: The First Doctor   5 years 20 weeks ago

What an absolutely fabulous story.

I grew up with the latter years of Jon Pertwee and then Tom Baker, and the first I knew about any other Doctor – before I even got my copy of the Making of  on my seventh birthday was the Peter Cushing version of the Dalek Invasion on TV when I was about six. In glorious technicolour (we hadn’t long had a colour TV) and looking so much more polished than the TV show at the time, it blew me away. I loved it and for years whenever I thought of the First Doctor, it was Peter Cushing that I saw in my mind’s eye.  It took me another thirty years until I got around to seeing the original version. And I loved it as much.

If ever a story deserved to have a big screen version made of it then it was Dalek Invasion. With its huge panorama of events across invaded Britain (a scenario which can’t have seemed so remote to a World which was still only less than 20 years after the Second World War), its focus on the Resistance (if you’ll pardon the clumsy phrasing, I never could resist films or books about the French Resistance) and finally, the first change to the main cast with Susan leaving, it is a story for me with few faults.

Dislikes:

The Slither – but even this wasn’t so bad during a second viewing.

Likes:

The story really benefits from location filming and the scenes of Barbara, Jenny and Dortmun in a deserted London were suitably eerie and made me think of similar scenes from The Omega Man and 28 Days Later. At first, I wasn’t sure about the music used during these scenes – a vicious drum beat that drowns out any other sound, but later realised that this worked perfectly, adding to the dramatic tension and creating a further sense of emptiness within this once bustling metropolis.

The main cast were used well; dividing them into three and sometimes four different groups helped to maintain the dramatic flow and the pace. I particularly enjoyed Barbara’s relationship with Jenny (who was being considered as the new companion), overcoming the latter’s suspicious and spiky exterior).

The Doctor here demonstrating that sense of cold and deadly purpose that manifests itself strongly over the different incarnations throughout the years (particularly in the Tenth Doctor’s persona). There is a time at the beginning of the story when, kidnapped by the Daleks, he demonstrates a frailty but this is overcome quickly after his escape and he naturally resumes his role as leader, giving those who follow him a sense of direction, purpose and hope.

The Robomen, cold zombie-like, even the hats stop looking silly after a while and their deadly, unnatural nature and the way in which they move and speak in unison begins to unnerve.

Susan, or more particularly, the manner of her departure. Her growing relationship seems natural rather than forced or undeveloped (see Leela and Andred!) and the final scene is given the time it deserves on screen with her grandfather’s very touching speech to her (I just wish that we could have seen that return sometime over the years that followed). The TARDIS disappears in front of her eyes, leaving her standing with one foot bare, looking vulnerable and alone.

A truly great 10 out of 10!

• From the Beginning: The Second Doctor   5 years 20 weeks ago

Yes the loss of many stories that were planned made it necessary to make other stories that were longer so Troughton has a lot of six part stories, a few five part stories and one that is 8 eps and one that is ten eps.

• [SPOILERS!] Epi 1 'Day One'   5 years 20 weeks ago

The funny thing about the above post is that all I saw was Chase I would love to take...

me out? To dinner? :)

uhm, I didn't say i've seen it. I just reacted to the other person's response and the fact that it's another earth shattering story. When I've seen it, I'll reveiw it

• SNAKEDANCE   5 years 20 weeks ago

2-3

That was pretty good too. Lon is not as irritating as when first viewed, his mum makes sense in a way that clueless characters often do, and Nyssa' dress is still awful. She on the other hand is much better, Sutton putting in a better performance. It's also nice to see the Doctor trying to solve a problem by talk and meditation...which doesn't really work for him in this situation. ANd in ep 3 yes, he's trapped in a cell but Davison makes the most out of it and does well IMO. Chela's a nice new shiny companion, this week's replacement for Adric really. Fielding is still in top form despite some silly voice modulating and the set for the cave entrance  from the outside looks like STAR TREK-THEAPPLE's set. All in all a good pair of episodes, detailing just enough to give us more and find out who the old man is that is sitting cross legged since ep1's very beginning. One odd thing is that at some point during the end of ep2 or beginning of 3, the Doctor says, "It must be the Mara,"  when he and we have known it all along. And geeze, is Lon tall and well built. And Chela is very good looking. Seems JNT was giving the mum's something to look at as well as the dads (I mean Nyssa and Tegan, God help em or do I?). Anyway I'm sure there's more to say about these two eps but really they're quite diverting. The Mara is scary and yet...it doesn't really kill anyone at least not yet. It does control the showman but...and takes over Lon but has it killed anyone yet?

The cliffhanger at the end of 3, despite Nyssa's scream, is quite good.

• Arc of Infinity   5 years 20 weeks ago

Better. I've noticed that when Davison and his companions are out and about in location stuff, there's a freshness to even some of the lamest stories, case in point. I don't understand why Borusa tells Omega that Hedin is dead, calls him a friend to Omega but doesn't give him any of the details. Then to find the location, the 5th Doc is most manipulative in the matrix and he too, also tells Omega that Hedin died and it was "an accident" but says no more! Dumb.

Tegan's pretty cool throughout. I also can't understand despite all manner of adventures and having an Earth link in the first half of this story or at least by ep3 and Tegan, Nyssa and the Doc don't carry any Earth money. There's sure to be some on the TARDIS someplace! Also in scenes that were cut Borusa keeps the stupid Castellan on and events in FIVE DOCTORS make you rethink this scene. It looks like Borusa is being nice here but is he? In lieu of him making the Castellan his patsy in FIVE DOCTORS, maybe he just kept him on to make him the fall guy for himself later on! He also says somethign strange in the cut scene, something like we make mistakes and something about it tells us about how we profit from them. WTF? Is this castellan the same one from INVASION OF TIME, Kelner? If so, why wasn't Kelner in jail but then again Time Lords are so ruthless and their politics so stupid, he probably was kept on!

Love the JNT sequence and the missing scene of the Doctor and the map and love the romp about Amsterdam, enlivening yet another dull story which sagged in the middle. The studio stuff makes things dull. And...does the Doc really want Tegan back? His expressions and "giving up" look say no, while Nyssa seems to scream YES!

Okay Nyssa scream full on and takes forever to fire the gun at the monster. AND the gun that was it's own gun makes it vanish for good but when Tegan, Colin, and Robin were shot, they vanished into Omega's TARDIS. WTF? I guess the gun kills bad guys n not good guys.

There's a lot going on in the chase at the end and the location is used rather well and looks so nice.  Davison gives his Omega a great deal of depth especially when he goes to see the statue song show thingie (just why are kids interested in THIS boring show? oh no DW, the statue musical turning thingie--I guess there were less video games back then) where a kid pushes past him and Omega (Davison) gives him a horrid look but then the kid turns and smiles at him and Omega seems to smile and melt at this...perhaps realizing life is good now. It's an almost sympathetic turn and akin to FRANKENSTEIN just before he kills, accidentally, a little girl picking daises...which made me wonder if Omega would kill this blond kid. He doesn't. But the rest of the chase is just as good...

I love when the Doc examines, quickly a man that has been pushed over by Omega and delares to Tegan that he's be allright but the two girls stop and talk to him to make sure. The Doc reappears and snaps, "He'll be allright!" and then they run on. Brilliant!

The Doc effectively kills Omega. The bastard. But he saved us.

A good end to a story that had a good first ep and two boring ones in the middle. But...was Colin allright in the end? He seemed to be wearing a Lynard Skynard shirt!

- Ian 15              - Zoe 14                   - Romana I 11          - Barbara 13
    - Liz 2
    - Vicki 6                 - The Brigadier 21
    - Stephen 7        - Jo Grant 18             - Tegan 3                - Victoria 8
    - Polly 7             - Sarah Jane 18          - Ben 10
    Harry 17
    - Jamie 20 (+1)         Leela 16

__________________________________________________________________________

19. Nyssa 0 (-2)      20. Captain Jack      21. K9
    26. Turlough           27. Romana II
    28. Mickey            29: Adric
    31: Grace               32: Dodo              33: Mel

• [SPOILERS!] Epi 2 'Day Two'   5 years 20 weeks ago

Yes, I forgot to mention that Day Two is a very revealing episode of Torchwood. Wink

• David Tennant to Star in St. Trinian's Sequel   5 years 20 weeks ago

He must owe someone a favour, these series' of films aren't the best.  Chase will love them though!

• [SPOILERS!] Epi 1 'Day One'   5 years 20 weeks ago

Chase I would love to take you to task on this episode of Torchwood, anyone who calls RTD crap after this clearly doesn't know good television when they see it.  And i've seen your lists.....

• [SPOILERS!] Epi 2 'Day Two'   5 years 20 weeks ago

Not sure what's gone wrong with Torchwood, as i'm loving this!  Maybe it's because RTD is fully involved again?

Some great moments, including every sceen that Kai Owen was in, his 'backing acting' was utterly priceless, especially the stuff in the Cafe!  Not much Jack in this episode and I think it was a lot better for it.

Can't wait for tonight's episode!

• [SPOILERS!] Epi 2 'Day Two'   5 years 20 weeks ago

Not only was there lots of Captain Jack's bum.... there was also Captain Jack FULL FRONTAL NUDITY!!!!! *explodes*

Ok, now that my brain has recovered from that.

Day Two was great, still not as fangirl melt inducing, action packed, and edge of your seat as Day One, but I still loved it.

Was a little suprised and saddened to see the Millenium centre go kabooy, but glad Jack was fine (I was kinda expecting that he would recover something similar to the way he did)

Gwen kicked serious butt in this, and Rhys was awesome, Ianto's brother in law Johnny? was great too (was it just me or was this the nudity episode, Jack and Johnny?) and I was kind of on the edge of my seat at the end, worrying about the team and whether they would all be ok.

So big huzzah for Ianto's sister's and her car and for Ianto for saving the day ala Captain Jack style "here he comes on a ruddy big tractor"

Saddened a little that Jack and Ianto didn't have a whole happy reunion snog (that would of been epic to see!!) but I guess they didn't have the time xD

And yay! PC Andy!

Still great... bring on tomorrow!

WE ARE HERE!!

• Paul McGann in "Helen" at the Globe Theatre in London   5 years 20 weeks ago

He joins the previously announced Pennie Downie in a cast that also includes Holly Atkins, Philip Cumbus, Jack Farthing, Diveen Henry, James Lailey, Penny Layden, Fergal McElherron, Rawiri Paratene, William Purefoy, Ian Redford, Ukweli Roach, Tom Stuart, Graham Vick and Andrew Vincent. Learn how a creditcard works, from the magnetic stripe to how you can get rid of that high interest balance.

How do you rate Doctor Who: Death in Heaven? (5=Fantastic)