• From the Beginning: The First Doctor   5 years 12 weeks ago

I agree with most of what you wrote. Dodo could be good but she could also be very, very bad, mostly in THE ARK, where the actress does not shine...at all. Here, her leaving is just...strange. At first, I didn't like it but your review made me think about DW in general. If Dodo' s leaving were more dramatic, more in line with the story or even visually presented...then, this might not be the thing that it is and I like it the way it is. Strange that it could have been so much better but...DW being DW fans can write articles, stories, and others things about Dodo's departure and that's part of why I like DW. It's just so oddball, at times brilliant, at other times the worst thing or things you've ever seen and then there's  alot in between like Dodo's leaving. It leaves room for speculation...

I happen to think Polly and Ben, although to understand them, especially Ben, I had to turn on the DVD subtitles almost all the time, are terrific companions, young and trendy or not. Not sure Ben is very trendy for the time but I like them a great deal and having a couple with the Doctor instead of a single female or a single male, is a new slant althought they are a couple in the first stages of their coupling. I thought when Matt Smith's companions  were first announced the team was going to have a couple but I'd bet RTD talked Scott M out of that. Now it's just the long haired red haired girl. BOOOOO!

Anyway the story is nothing new at all esp for written Sci Fi, it's as old as hats, speaking of which I like the Doctor in his hat and I like the idea of him in a trendy night club or bar. I like that he sends Ben on a mission, not to mention his de-hynotizing of Dodo and I like how he stands before a war machine when everyone else, military included, is running for cover. And he uses his ring! Brill! I think his Doctor has even more presense in modern day settings than in the far off/historical/ pplanetary ones. Hartnell is without a doubt one of the best, if not the best Doctor (next to Tom Baker of course). Here he does the entire range of his repitoire: angry, hostile, warm, surprised, powerful, weak, etc.

The War machines themselves, if you turn on the DVD text you'll find the bloopers of the people being seen inside them, running from them when they are set fire etc. That said, the killing in this is a bit shocking especially in the control room when the man possessed Krimpton is shot down...either by Wotan, the military or Brett! I can't recall but I do remember it being a bit...shocking as Krimpton wasn't evil, just a brainwashed victim. Brett was too but he seems to get away with it all...without knowing what is going on.

The other shocking scene is the man who is beaten to death...orginally the possessed men were to kill him with sharp weapons! Of course, Ben gets away with just being taken over or something or just held in a room...to be freed by a possessed but fightin it Polly.

Sir Charles and the Doctor interact like the Brig and the Doctor and this sort of makes me think of UNIT stories anyway: as men battle the threat with heavy firepower...often losing. There's also a huge men to men fight with quite a few losses on both sides. And location shooting of the tower...and a mad computer as in GREEN DEATH.

Anyway this story is most entertaining...still I like the pics of pre-Ben Mike Craze...

• What I'm looking from the change of guard...   5 years 12 weeks ago

That's because of RTD. He hates writing TARDIS scenes, hates the TARDIS pretty much except as a vehicle to get his characters from place to place. He's said that pretty much no stories wil be entirely set on the TARDIS and implied or stated in an annual that Rose and the Doctor DON'T sleep on board, not even separately ---they find other accomdations. So don't except anything with RTD behind it to explore the TARDIS...he also IMO ruined the console room. It looked terrible from day one when he took over and still does, I hate it that way and am glad they are thinking of changing it or have changed it.

Ditto what he thinks about multi Doctor stories. Both and the fool that runs Big Finish now think that multi Doctor stories suck but...then BF went and did ZAGREUS in lieu of a REAL multi Doctor story and that sucked. Then they went and did a Doctor story with the Sixth Doctor narrowly missing all his other selves but we don't get to hear them only hear about them. What crap.

I say that the TARDIS interior needs to have at least some scenes there and at least one big story inside the TARDIS totally AND there needs to be at least one or two multi Doctor stories even if they have to CGI TOM BAKER'S ass to get him in there.

btw noticed your avatar and I love Ulysseus 31!

oh one more thing: after viewing ATTACK OF THE CYBERMEN and SILVER NEMESIS, I have to disagree that the new Cybermen should go. I don't ever want to see those old classic Cybermen again unless they look like the ones in TENTH PLANET or REVENGE OF THE CYBERMEN, the CM from EARTHSHOCK are okay I guess but to be honest, seeing their jaws (and I know they are supposed to be partially human) just jars me and the fact that in ATTACK we had a fat one...well, I think the new look, parallel Lumic CM are much much better and scarier and less emotional...so I would say if you have a GOOD script unlike NEXT DOCTOR, use them. if not, leave all CM at home

• From the Beginning: The First Doctor   5 years 12 weeks ago

Although I have watched this recently (within the last six months) I enjoyed re-watching it. I think that this DVD is really well done. I particularly enjoyed the 'one foot in the past' feature with Tony Benn visiting the Post Office Tower (now the BT tower).

It seems to me that this story is the blue print for much of the rest of Doctor Who. i.e. it was the first story in a contemporary setting with contemporary companions with a menace about to take over the world (the staple of the Pertwee UNIT years, much of the T Baker era, the McGann Movie, and the majority of the Ecclestone and Tennant serires).

I know that 'planet of the giants' was the first story in a contemporary time period, but I don't count it since the Doctor et al. only interacted with outsized props and rear projection images.

The story has been done many times, 'meglomaniac computer takes over the world', but to my knowledge this is one of (if not the) earliest one. The others that spring to mind are 'the Forbin Project', 'the Demon seed', 'the Terminator' and of course '2001: a space oddessy' (although HAL only took over the mission, not the world). Of course it doesn't really seem like the war machines could really take over the world ,but they were really good at smashing through piles of wooden boxes. I noted with some irony that there guns (powered by CO2 fire extinguishers) set things on fire!!

I did find everyone calling our hero "Doctor Who' somewhat annoying although I can live with it.

I found Dodo's departure unsatisfactory. Other than this story (where she was under hypnosis ) and her annoying introduction at the end of 'the massacre' I have found here an agreeable companion. I think that her poor performance with the audience and in our ongoing companion poll is more down to the fact that she appeared in the worst stories of the Hartnell era.

So it was the changing of the birds, out goes 'extinct old Dodo' and in comes 'Pretty Polly'. That's interesting given that she spentds most of the story under 'evil hypnosis' control too. It definately feels that with this story the production crew are trying to restart the show. Latch onto a promonent current event (the opening of the GPO Tower) and replace the companions with young and trend characters.  The story seemed to have everything thrown in for good measure: Mind control, Meglomaniac Computer taking over the World, Death Machines, Battles with loads of soldiers, lots of Death and destruction.

A good solid 7/10 for this one I think.

• The Best Series Ever Made   5 years 12 weeks ago

POINT PLEASANT

SLIDERS

PHOTON (okay it's cheesy but original)

KYLE XY

ROAR

KAMEN RIDER

• Tin Dog Podcast   5 years 12 weeks ago

coe day 1 TDP

i hope do do a podcast per day while its on air.

enjoy

• [SPOILERS!] Epi 1 'Day One'   5 years 12 weeks ago

MAJOR SPOILER ALERT!!!!!!!

A few points...

Way too early for me to judge if its a good story However as it stands it was ok.There where a few good moments which creeped me out. The children’s faces when they were howling for instance.

I liked the idea of only one adult being caught up with all the children, nice touch that.

But...

I can’t help shake the feeling that RTD has ran out of ideas. Overall this came across as a rehashed Ood story. Replace the Ood with children, set it on earth and there you go.

The doctor who was visited by TW in the beginning turns out to be a government mole whose purpose is to infiltrate TW? Come on!  I know this is a sci fi show but that was too much of a coincidence for me that he was at the right place / right time. A doctor who has trained to save life just kills someone so he can shoots someone in the back? That just doesn't ring true to me.

Overall I did enjoy the story and I’m glad I don’t have to wait until next week for part two but I was definitely left with the feeling it was a formulaic RTD script.

• [SPOILERS!] Epi 1 'Day One'   5 years 12 weeks ago

I LOVED THIS SOOOOOOO MUCH!!!

But I guess I've always liked Torchwood, so to see people who have been previously down on Torchwood liking this story I guess me loving it is to be expected.

The mystery is great and what a fracking epic cliffhanger.

SPOILERS

The throught never crossed my mind that perhaps Jack can really die if you blow him apart, needless to say the cliffhanger certainly had my heart racing in much the same way that Utopia, Turn Left and The Stolen Earth all did.

And oh god, Jack has a daughter!! How and when did that happen? xD

Turning to Ianto.... because you know he's certainly my favourite part of Torchwood, he was absolutely adorable in this, I love finally meeting his sister and his niece and nephew and how he was very much the "monied uncle" with them. ^_^

And Ianto loves Jack.... he hasn't said it yet, but it's his face and the way he acts that says it, and it makes me so so happy that I could possibly melt at the cuteness of it.... and I think I did at one stage. And that goodbye snog almost made me cry. T_T

Love Gwen mirroring Eve Myles with the pregnancy ^^ and her saying hello to the photo of Owen and Tosh at her desk.

Haven't watched it on UKTV yet, catching the time shift version at 10.30pm (I wanted to watch it uncut and without commericals first) so I'll let everyone know how that goes.

Great story so far.... bring on tommorrow!

I hope Jack is ok :(

- Ian 15              - Zoe 13                   - Romana I 11           - Barbara 13
    - Liz 2
    - Vicki 6                 - The Brigadier 21 (+1)
    - Nyssa 2 (-2)
    - Stephen 7                - Jo Grant 18              - Tegan 6
    - Polly 7             - Sarah Jane 18          - Ben 10                   - Victoria 8
    Harry 17
    - Jamie 20                 Leela 16

__________________________________________________________________________

20. Captain Jack      21. K9
    22. Rose                 23. Peri                 24. Ace                 25. Martha
    26. Turlough           27. Romana II
    28. Mickey            29: Adric
    31: Grace              32: Dodo              33: Mel

• What I'm looking from the change of guard...   5 years 12 weeks ago

I really do agree with the feelings of all above, but one thing nobody seems to have commented on is the new series (i.e. 2005 onwards) lack of exploration of the TARDIS as a ship, dimensional thingy and Doctor's home. I always loved the glimpses of the vast interior and function of the TARDIS and it is the homelyness of the Doctor's TARDIS in the TV movie that I thought worked terrifically well.

How about a TARDIS that we actually get to explore? Where do the companions sleep and spend their idle time? How do they make the TARDIS their home? For a new series that has spent sooo much time going on about human stories and human drama, the everyday life of being in the TARDIS has strangely been omitted throughout the new incarnations of the Doctor.

How about a Matt Smith TARDIS bound episode - 'ship in a bottle' style like in Star Trek TNG?

• David Tennant to Star in St. Trinian's Sequel   5 years 12 weeks ago

BBC News article on this story: Tennant joins St Trinian's film

• The Sonic Newsdriver Returns for the 3rd of July 2009   5 years 12 weeks ago

The Sonic Newsdriver 20090707
    Selected Doctor Who related news delivered sonically.
    For Earth-date: Tuesday the 7th of July 2009

In this episode: Torchwood Week (don't worry, no spoilers here), Barrowman wants to continue playing Captain Jack until he's gray, Kai Owen Demands More, David Tennant new role is no hero, Tennant is not the latest Time Lord on the big screen screen, Two moments of silences, and Get Your Sonic Gear, plus more!

Hosted by Louis Trapani

Right click and download the episode using the link below or listen right on the website using the embedded player, better yet subscribe to the podcast using the feed links below the player.

• [SPOILERS!] Epi 1 'Day One'   5 years 12 weeks ago

(Warning: This thread may have spoilers, but this message does not)

I thoroughly enjoyed Day One of Torchwood: The Children of Earth. I think it is off to a great start. I don't think the trailers did it justice, but admittedly, it is hard to capture the flavour of this story (at least seen here in Day One so far) in short 90 second trailer or so.

Excellent direction by Euros Lynn. All the performers were on the top of their game as well. Now, I am looking forward to Day Two.

• Arc of Infinity   5 years 12 weeks ago

Wow. That was really another boring episode. I don' t know why. Despite alot of running around, some action, gunplay (from Nyssa no less!), and scenes of Tegan in the crypt finding her cousin Colin with help from Robin, this is really another boring part.

The Matrix: it's now just a dark screen with lines of energy running through it. Omega seems to be in control of it even before the dull cliffhanger of the Doctor saying he's in control of it. The only surprise is that Hedin is the traitor. I didn't spot that one coming.

The rest of this isn't really that poor or bad, it's just flat and boring. Even Omega's confronting of Tegan isn't all that great nor his talk with the Doctor in the Matrix. The whole story, so promising from the start, is just falling flat and this ep is entirely studio bound. Yeck.

What's happened to DW? It's just boring now. One thing: when Nyssa takes the gun, the Doctor is almost shocked...but he's inspired this in the peace (?) girl. Trruth is she was shooting people in her first story and if you look at KEEPER, she was a much better character there than here, even if her acting has improved somewhat. And just what job is Damon's?

Nyssa seems positively happy to hear Tegan's name again...but Tegan is imprisoned by Omega in the Matrix and maybe it's that that makes her smile!? Never mind that whole lesbian thing with the graffiti or the fact that both Colin and Robin seem to be...uhm, partners.

• Is there any possibility for Gallifreyan survival?   5 years 12 weeks ago

One of the spinoffs mentioned that a Time Lord had Gallifrey cloned so that there were about 7 or 8 or 9 more Gallifreys!!!!! If you think about it, even though the Time Lords were insular, would they leave it to chance that their entire culture would be on one planet?

Also: there is some talk of past stories that intimated that the Time Lords are not just from Gallifrey, that they came to the planet and asked the Gallfreans that were there if they could use the planet to build their citadel, thus the Time Lords are not even frm Gallfrey! There is also a whole range of clues from the TV show that not all Gallefreans are Time Lords and if so, are all Time Lords Gallefreans? It was also suggested that Ace was training at to be a Time Lord so maybe not all Time Lords have to be Gallefreans!

And in a wild idea: what if Earth IS Gallifrey or Gallifrey is Earth, one from the past and the other the future of the other?!

- Liz 4
    - Vicki 6                   - The Brigadier 20
    - Nyssa 4
    - Stephen 7              - Jo Grant 18              - Tegan 6
    - Polly 7 (+1)      - Sarah Jane 18         - Ben 10                   - Victoria 8
    Harry 16
    - Jamie 20                 Leela 15               - Captain Jack 1 (-2)

__________________________________________________________________________

21. K9
    22. Rose                 23. Peri                 24. Ace                       25. Martha
    26. Turlough            27. Romana II
    28. Mickey                  29: Adric
    31: Grace              32: Dodo                    33: Mel

• [SPOILERS!] Epi 1 'Day One'   5 years 12 weeks ago

Absolutely superb.  It felt like proper Sci-Fi for the first time!

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE STICK WITH THIS FORMAT!  I think it works so well.  I would love to have 2 or 3 5-part stories a year rather than 13 stand alone episodes.

• Is there any possibility for Gallifreyan survival?   5 years 12 weeks ago

That certainly is a very interesting idea about Gallifrey existing in a parallel universe.  Could this universe be the one that the hybrid Doctor lives with Rose Tyler?  The 3rd Doctor did mention something to that effect in the episode titled Inferno.  Instead of using the TARDIS to slip backward or forward in time, it slips sideways and into a parallel universe.  The 3rd Doctor postulates that because of infinite choices; attributed to free will, there is an equally infinite parallel universes.  This route would be a viable idea to perpetuate the survival of Gallifrey; albeit, not the Gallifrey from your local universe.

Alternate reality model is a great idea to feature Timelords from alternate dimensions lending the Doctor a hand to see if bringing back Gallifrey (in the local universe) is still possible without any violations to the 1st Time Law.

I have not seen sufficient Moffat works to predict an outcome or know how he will manage the Who universe, but it should be grand.  After all, following in RTD can only force Moffat to take it up a notch.

• [SPOILERS!] Epi 1 'Day One'   5 years 12 weeks ago

I tweeted Louis about threads -

Because people may not get each episode at the same time - perhaps one thread per Episode was the best way to go in this case.

I know that in other cases we have asked people to not have too many threads - but at least this way any 'SPOILERS' should be specific to the episode in the thread.

• Arc of Infinity   5 years 12 weeks ago

Wow, that was one of the most boring episodes in a long long time, way back into the Pertwee era. I'm not sure why. Tegan returns. Maybe that's it. There's a lot of ...honesty I can't understand how so many people like Tegan. She's really a one note character, a loser who can't hold a job and can't make up her mind. The location stuff is nice. Maybe it's the jam packed bunch of boring Time Lords. Even Colin can't make Maxil interesting, he's  a one note villain/guard really. Mike Gough is really good and all the actors are so it's hard to see why this ep is so slow and boring. Damon is an intersting cahracter too. The Doc's got lots of friends on Gallifrey...

Maybe it's the Doc. He's dull as dishwater here. The sets are okay but nothing special as a trip to Gallifrey should be. Maybe it's the villain Omega. He was ranting and raving when he last appeared and that kept us frm being bored but we were embarassed. Nothing really moves in this ep and there's not much to recommend it.

Tears on Nyssa's face is a nice touch but...it's all so ...routine and predictable. Sigh.

I've combined the previous two votes that were posted simultaneously...

- Liz 2 (-2)

28. Mickey            29: Adric
    31: Grace              32: Dodo              33: Mel

- Liz 4
    - Vicki 6                     - The Brigadier 20
    - Nyssa 4
    - Stephen 7              - Jo Grant 18             - Tegan 6
    - Polly 6              - Sarah Jane 18         - Ben 10                   - Victoria 8
    Harry 16
    - Jamie 20                 Leela 16(+1)         - Captain Jack 1(-2)

__________________________________________________________________________

21. K9
    26. Turlough            27. Romana II
    28. Mickey                  29: Adric
    31: Grace              32: Dodo                    33: Mel

• Is there any possibility for Gallifreyan survival?   5 years 12 weeks ago

As noted above, I think we're going to see Gallifrey in some form THIS year or rather in Tennant's last two eps

• Video Release Information in Video Business   5 years 12 weeks ago

Didn't you like Doctor Who and the Pirates?

What about the stage plays?

And, of course, everybody loves The Gunfighters and the Ballad of the Last Chance Saloon!

• Is there any possibility for Gallifreyan survival?   5 years 12 weeks ago

I haven't seen Jekyll to know what kind of showrunner the Grand Moff is, but I think it would be a mistake to bring them back in his first season. Let Matt and Moff (did I just coin a phrase there?) get their feet under them, then do what you want.

Now if RTD was still in charge I would set the odds at 65/35 that we would see them next year. But I don't know about Moff. So I will set the line tenantively at 25/75 just because I think there are other things he wants to explore first.

Talkshoe has been playing-up again and only now is the latest recording available

on Talkshoe & iTunes

Episode 97 covered Primeval and Ashes to Ashes

Next week's topic left open mike as not sure we should talk about Torchwood or leave it until more people will have seen it.

How do you rate Doctor Who: The Caretaker? (5=Fantastic)