• Name's For A Podcast!   5 years 8 weeks ago

Can you give us a clue? Is it a Doctor Who themed podcast? a Torchwood one? a general sci-fi  podcast?

How often? any particular theme - classic DVD reviews? Extended universe (books, big finish etc)? News? Toy reviews? Dalek Building Cool ?

If DW related........

Podcast Sec

Smith and Tones

The Oncoming Storm

The Voice of Boe

Extermi-cast

Podshock

cyber-pod

The Type 40 podcast

Doctor Whoovie and the Garlics (something a friend of my daughter once said leading to my forum handle)

The lack of silence in the library

The Osterhagen Key

The Raston Warrior Podcast

Rassilon's Rant

Adric's Advice Column

The Romanadvoratrelundar Review

The Venusian Aikido Manual

THe Bad Wolf Podcast

The Shadow's Proclimations

Lucy Saxon's Boudoir (I'd download this one !)

Sally Sparrow's Easter Eggs of Doom

• TIMEFLIGHT(spoilers about Kalid)   5 years 8 weeks ago

This wasn't as good as the first ep but it's not terrible either. There's an AWFUL lot of technobabble going on here but unlike most of the past technobabble, here, there acxtually are explanations behind all the big fancy words...only the show doesn't give us any, the dvd text does. The Professor is a standard DW character and he gets big fancy words too.

What struck me while watching this was that this story is a bit like THE THREE DOCTORS. There is the standard Prof, three heroes that can almost be a replacement for UNIT (dandy-ish, almost gay pilots instead of dandish almost gay military men, although to be fair, Stapley brings one of his men out of the trance by making him specifically think of Tegan over and over). There's a master manipulator behind it all, a Time Lord in fact, and there are gell like gell guards in both. There's also a citadel that has to be traveled to and threats pulled from the mind. It's almost too many things to be a coincidence but as poor Peter Grimwade is passed on, we can just pass on all of that.

The airport passengers and the Prof are bog standard boring to be honest and things slow down a bit with them. The whole Nyssa-Tegan march through the illusions thing is also standard bog sci fi and boring. It's been done much better in LOST IN SPACE-FLIGHT INTO THE FUTURE ("it's only an illusion, it's not real!") and the Adric scene, done so that Matthew Waterhouse's credit could fool the audience with keen eyes reading the tv listings into thinking Adric will be alive...is an embarassment and if that reason given for including it is looked at ....it's one of the things that will drag DW down in the future...worrying about publicity more than the story and scripts.

The Doctor doesn't recognize the Master, I wonder why and the reveal at the end is rather shocking. I never knew. Really. Did anyone know before hand that the Master was Kalid based on just watching this show and not given advance info? If you say yes, you must be lying. :) Again, not a bad ep but not terribly good either. I'ts almost sleep inducing and Sutton is back to being pretty bad.

• From the Beginning: The First Doctor   5 years 8 weeks ago

I think this is a very uneven story as well, but have two nuggets to add: somewhere, I recall reading that this was a Season 1 story pushed back into season 2 - notice Ian is wearing his teacher's suit rather than some of the other clothing he chooses later; and, more interestingly: the story is 3 episodes but had been cut down from 4. I think this leads to most of the dropped threads, odd passages, etc.  It's like a designed story with a missing episode! Of course, this might make it move more quickly, but it's definitely rocky.

On a side note, since the insecticide is capable of killing *everything*, I always thought, for one reason, that's how the Doctor and company survived - as they certainly would have been eaten by insects otherwise.

Second odd note: why is Barbara cured when she is returned to her normal size? If she's taken on a lethal amount of insecticide while small, why isn't the insecticide also increased proportionately when she's returned to full size? Weak writing, I guess.

Overall, a valiant effort, however!

- Ian 15              - Zoe 13                   - Romana I 11           - Barbara 13
    - Liz 4
    - Vicki 6                   - The Brigadier 20
    - Nyssa 6
    - Stephen 7 (+1)              - Jo Grant 17 (-2)             - Tegan 6
    - Polly 6              - Sarah Jane 18         - Ben 10                   - Victoria 8
    Harry 16
    - Jamie 20                 Leela 15                 - Captain Jack 3

__________________________________________________________________________

21. K9
    22. Rose                 23. Peri                 24. Ace                       25. Martha
    26. Turlough            27. Romana II
    28. Mickey                  29: Adric
    31: Grace              32: Dodo                    33: Mel

- Ian 15              - Zoe 13                   - Romana I 11           - Barbara 13 (+1)
    - Liz 4 (-2)
    - Vicki 6                   - The Brigadier 20
    - Nyssa 6
    - Stephen 6               - Jo Grant 19             - Tegan 6
    Harry 16
    - Jamie 20                 Leela 15                 - Captain Jack 3

__________________________________________________________________________

21. K9
    26. Turlough            27. Romana II
    28. Mickey                  29: Adric
    31: Grace              32: Dodo                    33: Mel

• When did Chase take over the forums?   5 years 8 weeks ago

It's basically like posting your views into a forum, the set up of posting a blog is very much like posting a comment here.  One of the best blog hosting sites is Blogger https://www.blogger.com/start

• When did Chase take over the forums?   5 years 8 weeks ago

I wouldn't know how to do a blog. What does it entail? Let me know.

- Ian 15              - Zoe 13                   - Romana I 11           - Barbara 12
    - Liz 6
    - Vicki 6                   - The Brigadier 20
    - Nyssa 6
    - Stephen 6               - Jo Grant 19             - Tegan 6
    - Polly 6 (-2)        - Sarah Jane 18         - Ben 10                   - Victoria 8
    Harry 16 (+1)
    - Jamie 20                 Leela 15                 - Captain Jack 3

__________________________________________________________________________

21. K9
    26. Turlough            27. Romana II
    28. Mickey                  29: Adric
    31: Grace              32: Dodo                    33: Mel

- Liz 6
    - Vicki 6 (-2)                   - The Brigadier 20
    - Nyssa 6
    - Stephen 6               - Jo Grant 19             - Tegan 6
    - Polly 8              - Sarah Jane 18         - Ben 10                   - Victoria 8 (+1)
    Harry 15
    - Jamie 20                 Leela 15                 - Captain Jack 3

__________________________________________________________________________

21. K9
    26. Turlough            27. Romana II
    28. Mickey                  29: Adric
    31: Grace              32: Dodo                    33: Mel

Quick post - watching tennis :-)

CIA ID 30659

Primeval Ashes! hoping to cover Primeval and Ashes to Ashes - however this may take up 2 shows

• When did Chase take over the forums?   5 years 8 weeks ago

Perhaps you need a blog.  The Occasional rant is fun here but, it does seem that a majority of your posts tend to go that way.  I suppose one of the things that bug me most about the issue is the multiple posts one after the other.  I mentioned it on the old site but it seems to make no diffrence.  I suggest a blog for your long posts and the occasional non rant post in the threads.

• London Film and Comic Comic Con - 18/19 July - Lot's of Doctor Who Guests!   5 years 8 weeks ago

Thomas Sangster (Human Nature/Family of Blood) has just been added to the guest list.

P.S I'll try my best to knock some feedback together Louis!

- Liz 6
    - Vicki 8 (+1)              - The Brigadier 20
    - Nyssa 6
    - Stephen 6               - Jo Grant 19             - Tegan 6
    - Polly 8              - Sarah Jane 18         - Ben 10                   - Victoria 7
    Harry 15
    - Jamie 20                 Leela 15                 - Captain Jack 3 (-2)

__________________________________________________________________________

__________________________________________________________________________

21. K9
    26. Turlough            27. Romana II
    28. Mickey                  29: Adric
    31: Grace              32: Dodo                    33: Mel

• Tom Baker is back as the Doctor!!!!!   5 years 8 weeks ago

Thanks.. Word seemed to had spread about it around the end of May. Though it is hard to find any real hard facts on the releases. I am assuming that Tom Baker will be reading them as audiobooks. Obviously, for the Doctor parts, he will most likely take the tone and mannerisms of the Doctor. Well, we shall see (or hear) soon enough come this Autumn I suppose.

• Louis at the Gallifreyan Embassy table (1986)   5 years 8 weeks ago

I can venture to say you were still in school. Or should I just say, young enough. But you were in NY at the time perhaps, no?

If you like, please send us feedback for Doctor Who: Podshock on the convention and your experiences there to share with our listeners.

• Staggering Stories Podcast   5 years 8 weeks ago

Are blobs always evil?  Yes, Staggering Stories Podcast 49: Daleks Are Special, Too is now available!

We cover:
    Doctor Who's Daleks (in general).
    Listener's Escape Pod Discs.
    A 30 Second Recommendation: Legend (by that fine fellow Benjamin Elliott of This Week in Doctor Who)
    Plus, as ever, lots of news (Torchwood, Sarah Jane Adventures and more!)

More madness than a Dalek with hair, playing scrabble!

Available on iTunes and most other major podcast directory sites.

We also have a Staggering Stories Facebook group.
    You can drop us a line at show@staggeringstories.net or visit our Main Site or Blog

• forum crossing over   5 years 8 weeks ago

I find myself reluctant to participate in this new forum for two reasons.  I suppose the main reason is that there's not a lot happening in this inter-season "lull".  My participation always tends to pick up when we're actively in the midst of one of the three series.

But I also genuinely dislike the new "forum".  It's a little better now that the rich-text editor has been made default, but it's still more of a commenting system than a true forum.  I find it exceptionally difficult to follow the conversations, because each comment is titled separate from the thread title.  Thus, the "Recent Comments" sidebar is all but useless.  Who has the time to click each one of the individual comment titles to see if it's in the thread you're interested in following?   I'm further befuddled by the difference between the comment-follower on the left and the topic-follower on the right.  Who cares about topics that are new, but have "died" due to inactivity?  I want to know about the status of topics that are getting new comments; i.e., the ones that have an actual discussion brewing.  Now, luckily, we're given that info under the "Active Forum Topics" sidebar, but that just makes the "New Forum Topics" sidebar all the more a waste of space.  I say get rid of that thing and give us back the sidebar that tells us who's online at the moment.   Or, better still, just give us some much-needed white space.

It also should be noted that none of these three different trackers actually tells who's making the comments.  And that's key.  If you're having a discussion with someone, it's useful to know when they, particularly, have made a new comment in a thread of interest.  With this new board, you have no idea at all who's commenting until you click on the comment.  That's just a big waste of time.

But my big problem continues to be quoting.  It's more difficult to perform, and certainly harder to read, than it is in just about any other fora in which I participate.  It should be easy to do multiple quotes, because the whole reason for having a forum is to foster specific discussions, but instead it's a pain in the ass.    Yeah, you <b>can</b> (oops, that doesn't work: can) quote with this software, but by the time you get it all set up manually, you run the risk of forgetting the point you were trying to make.  Yeah, there's a greater ability to format your entries on this new board, but we've sacrificed core functionality for the ability to use crazy fonts.

Not a great trade-off, if you ask me.

• What I'm looking from the change of guard...   5 years 8 weeks ago

sorry, i should have put a comma in the "dalek void, mind." I mean Having a Davros story without even a mention of Daleks. They will not have been invented yet. A pre chair/accident story maybe pertaining to the start of the war between the Kaleds and Thals from the point of view from a third species on skaro. Never really understood this 2 species on a planet stuff in sci-fi Dan Dare was the same. Treens and Therons on Venus, which i believe was the inspiration for Skaro.

• What I'm looking from the change of guard...   5 years 8 weeks ago

What's a Dalek/Davros void mind mean?

I hate Peri. She was a step backward IMO from all the other recent companions from Leela to Nyssa. But I see why men like her. And maybe some women too.

I love Sally Sparrow and believe she'd be a great companion but I'd like to see her with her boyfriend together with the Doctor. That would make a great three team and great conflict too. There was a small hint of that when she met the Tenth Doctor and the other man in her life came out n held her hand or she took his rather to show the raving mad sex pot macho alpha male Doctor that she was taken. Imagine if the three of them were thrust together (Matt Smith maybe have a different take on things and not be after every blond he sees).

I think a female companion alone is old hat but it seems the series wants to play it safe and that's going to be thier undoing. I believe if the scripts don't get better and we get more of the same as ever people are going to tune out and blame Matt Smith which isn't fair as I feel he's going to be a great Doctor. I guess Moffat will do well but the next story looks like a Water Alien story he did from one of the Ninth Doctor annuals. That's not a good thing. I mean the story was good the way it was in the annual but if Moffat is not even starting yet and drawing upon stories from elsewhere, that makes me worry.

Frankly, they should bring back Adam and maybe he can explain himself. As I've ranted about in the past, the original idea was to have him send stuff back from the future to save his dying father (which would lead to Rose's idea to save her father). That was dropped but maybe Adam can use this...but as RTD is leaving, I imagine Moffat won't even think of this idea. IT might even be good to have Adam back as...maybe a bad guy who wants revenge on the Doctor or someone who needs saving from some government (maybe the US is the villain taking over Adam's forehead device).

I was talking iwth someone who felt DW slid since 2005 and he thought that it was okay as DW was always cheesy. I disagree. I mean I guess it was cheesy in the past but since that 2005 season was so good and along the way we've had some GREAT stories, I can't dismiss the crap as "Just DW being DW" any more. It deserves better. And if anyone has read RTD's latest article in DWMagazine, and isn't worried...why not? He truly sounds as if he has/had writrer's block for DW and his "I can't write the last words for this Doctor in a spinoff because it has to be great" AFTER he's already written the ending for Tennant...makes me worry about this grand finale.  DW should be going the more mature route and/or along with more young people route. Instead it's sort of going nowhere.

I hate John Simms as the Master. His return to the show does not bode well. I also hate what they've done to the Daleks. After PARTING OF THE WAYS, DALEK, and DOOMSDAY made them seem to very dangerous and powerful, we got the two part EMPIRE STATE BUILDING travesty of a limp story or rather pieces tied together to resemble a story AND the crap STOLEN EARTH/JOURNEY'S END which brought them right back to "let's push this Dalek to its death" status. In DALEK, you couldn't even touch a Dalek! It also makes me worry that they're talking about cosmetic things...which JNT talked about when the series was going down the tubes in the mid 80s. Changing the theme tune is not going to save a limp show with weak scripts and no ideas left.  I also wonder about RTD's wish list for stories and seasons which also is something JNT did. Unless I"m very wrong, the ratings for PLANET OF THE DEAD slipped on first airing as compared to other stories.

• When did Chase take over the forums?   5 years 8 weeks ago

Sorry if it seems i'm taking over, I just try to post stuff I think people might be interested in.

• When did Chase take over the forums?   5 years 8 weeks ago

I admit, I haven't been around much since the Christmas special. I didn't even know about the new website look. I had to reregister for the new site today.

Laughing

• What I'm looking from the change of guard...   5 years 8 weeks ago

I have to challenge the logic of your #4 and #9. You say you want male companions because the boys don't count, but then you want to bring on a female guest-star that was in only an episode for an entire season. Look I think she's as pretty as the next dude, but I have a feeling that that character would not stand up to the scrutinity of a 13 episode season. You want to do a two-parter special? Go ahead. But give me a companion that starts fresh and let them run. I have the same opinoin of Jenny. Go ahead and do a two-parter, but then let her go on her merry way.

So what does make a companion count? How many episodes in the box do you need "in the box"? Did I just open a can of worms there?

I do like the young Davros idea. I would also like to see a young Doctor/Master on Gallifrey story. Perhaps Davros could create a different monster beside the Daleks, a new one without time travel abilities and a different kind of menace.

Wibbley-wobbley timey-wimey over a season would be cool. We've alread seen RTD thread little things throughout a year, maybe episode one could be one set of events and then by episode 13 they have to go back to the same spot and do them all over again a different way.

• When did Chase take over the forums?   5 years 8 weeks ago

There's no doubt or question that he is very prolific with his postings, but don't let that deter you or others from participating here as well.

How do you rate Doctor Who: Deep Breath? (5=Fantastic)