• From the Beginning: The First Doctor   5 years 17 weeks ago

The Reign of Terror: Spoilers!

Yet, again the first season delivers a cracking historical adventure set during the period of Terror following the French Revolution.

One problem that the series as a whole has always suffered from is inventing new and original reasons for why the crew don’t just run back to the TARDIS at the first sign of trouble and get the hell out of there. Here, our heroes are separated from each other (the Doctor believed dead in a fire) and spend most of the next six episodes trying to get together again. I enjoyed this as a narrative device for the main reasons that it felt credible but also made good use of all of the main cast members.

All, with the exception maybe of Susan. Whereas Barbara has grown during the last few stories and the writers have actually began to use the fact that she is a history teacher to help the viewers understand the historical context to the adventures or to provide an alternate viewpoint, Susan on the other hand seems to have reverted to the prototype Doctor Who companion. She does little in this adventure but swoon, scream and grab cling to Barbara. This for me is a shame, because the character could have been so much more.

Anyway, for once this six part adventure didn’t feel too long and the episodes crack by at a tremendous pace. I enjoyed episode six particularly with Ian and Barbara in disguise and the appearance of Napoleon Bonaparte. I also liked the scene in the TARDIS at the end where the friends reflect on the nature of their historical adventures and peace seems to reign in the Time Machine once more.

We discussed earlier in the thread whether or not watching the series in order had improved our enjoyment of various stories. I have to say that this is particularly true of this story. I listened to it last year and although quite enjoyed it, struggled to get through all six parts. This time, I romped through , looking forward to each new episode, enjoying how the series, which has now well and truly found its stride, goes from strength to strength.

Excellent. 9/10.

• The Eleven Doctors Special for Children In Need?   5 years 17 weeks ago

David Tennant's comments about this story (from an interview in the Chicago Tribune):

Now I also have to ask, I read a story about all 11 Doctors being united for a charity special some time this fall. Is there any truth to that?

Ooooh, that sounds like a good tabloid wheeze!

Well, if there's one thing I've learned from reading UK tabloids it's not to trust UK tabloids. So I thought I'd ask the source.

Oh sure. So what are they saying?

They're saying that for Children in Need, there will be a 15-minute charity film, it will reunite all the past Doctors via old footage or newly shot scenes. So I didn't know if you knew anything about that.

It's not something I've heard anything about. And I would have thought they'd be in touch. But that'd be quite a curious way to introduce Matt Smith, I'd have thought they'd wait until his first ["Doctor Who"] story. Not anything I've heard about yet.

Source: It's the beginning of the end of David Tennant's run on 'Doctor Who' (The Watcher | Chicagotribune.com)

- Ian 12                  - Zoe 13                 - Romana I 11     - Captain Jack 9
    - Barbara 12            - Liz 8                     - Martha 6 (-2)    - Donna 13
    - Vicki 8                  - The Brigadier 17     - Nyssa 8
    - Stephen 8             - Jo Grant 13            - Tegan 8
    - Polly 10                - Sarah Jane 14        - Turlough 4
    - Ben 10                 Harry 13                 - Peri 8

- Jamie 15              Leela 14                 - Ace 7
    Victoria 8              - K9 9 (+1)               - Rose 12

_____________________________________________________________________________

27. Romana II
    28. Mickey
    29: Adric

31: Grace
    32: Dodo
    33: Mel

- Barbara 12            - Liz 8                     - Martha 8            - Donna 13
    - Vicki 8                  - The Brigadier 17 (+1) - Nyssa 8
    - Stephen 8             - Jo Grant 13            - Tegan 8
    - Polly 10                - Sarah Jane 14        Turlough 4 (-2)
    - Ben 10                 Harry 13                 - Peri 8

- Jamie 15              Leela 14                 - Ace 7
    Victoria 8              - K9 8                       - Rose 12

_____________________________________________________________________________

27. Romana II
    28. Mickey
    29: Adric

31: Grace
    32: Dodo
    33: Mel

• From the Beginning: The First Doctor   5 years 17 weeks ago

Did we do this one already? I can't recall. Anyway it's not as good as LAND OF THE GIANTS. How can it be? The music and effects are terrible when compared to LAND OF THE GIANTS and the characters in LAND have a much better background and pov. Anyway PLANET is not terrible but it's close and it's rep is bad but if you watch it one ep at a time, day by day, it's pretty good. I'm glad for once the story is a murder mystery or rather not really. THe mystery is how the man was killed. Barbara for some reason is thinking she's dying but doesn't tell anyone. Dumb. The sink scene is pretty good. The bad thing is that none of the "giant" Earth men interact with the "little peple" in PLANET and even the insect models look flat and boring. The sets are okay actually adna the sink is pretty well done. Susan overacts again but for once, her panic attacks, seem warranted. Again, I make this out to be poor but it's entertaining mostly due to Hartnell and Russell's acting and the unusual plot, even for DW>

• From the Beginning: The First Doctor   5 years 17 weeks ago

STAR TREK also got stuff wrong I think but no matter, didn't they travel to the edge of our galaxy once or twice?

Whatever, MISSION TO THE UNKNOWN does it's job but this job could have been done in ten minutes tops or even five minutes. As it stands, it's boring sci fi, boring to the point of wanting to go to sleep. The characters are stock, wooden, 1950s types who don't hold my attention at all and the mission fails and the set up is...dull. Like I say, it did it's job. Terry Nation thought he could do a show based around some of these characters? NO wonder it didn't take off. Dalek stories, to be good, really good, have to have some characters that are quirky or interesting and this has none of that. And the Daleks, even though they kill off one or two people, don't even seem that dangerous there. A good idea, having a prelude a week or two before the actual story starts but...it just doesn't rock.

• From the Beginning: The First Doctor   5 years 17 weeks ago

Listening to the audio was boring. The reconsturctions (that's right there are two) are so much better. For one thing, putting a face to the charcters gave me them more depth and more room to feel something for. I think the wit comes across more when you see the faces, also the entire story seems to balance, better than the ROMANS I thought, the humor, wit, and tragic stuff that is about to happen. In fact, someone once wrote that the humor moves along until the evil end but I didn't see it that way. I felt the humor was always there among the charcacters who were all quite intense in a way that Nero wasn't in THE ROMANS, he was fluff through out and almost never scary or intense save one scene where he kills a guard near Barbara. In this, almost everyone has motives that are scary and annoying and selfish but then they have another side too. They love their families.

I also found Vicki's predicament interesting. Did she really Trolius? I don't think she did but I think she did something to save him and then...wanted to let him know she wasn't terrible for lying to him and yet she did it. And also didn't save his family or even try to warn them, I don't think. She left thE TARDIS with almost no one protesting, certainly not the DOctor. He seemed almost, in t he recon, to ahve given himself up to the fact that the "child" as he calls her, had to go to prevserve her own faith, give up her own guilty feelings, and keep time intact or something. Truthfully I'm not sorry to see her go. She was never my favorite charcter and in GFALAXY FOUR i wanted her to go then and there. I do think she had a great rapport with Hartnell and added something which when lost, gave the series a darker, more intense deatlhly tone. SOMeone once said the Trolus was probably gay and they wouldn't last anyway but whatever, her departure was many layered and complex, moreso than in the novel, which to me was a curioius thnig. Smart at times, stupid at others, and frankly boring if you're looking for action adventure time travel.

This story is much better than I first thought. The audio does not do it justice, nor does the book. But the reconstruction makes one feel each death, slightly laugh at each joke or sarcastic comment from the guest cast and sukrprizingly feel for Vicki in her predicament in wanting Trolious to know her true intent...I think that's what it was but whatever it was, she was in a predicament. I don't htink she really wanted to go but she wanted him to know she didn't do something terribly mean to him which I think she did.

• CASTROVALVA   5 years 17 weeks ago

I honest don't know what to make of this episode. I like it. It's nice, humble, and quaint. It has GREAT music once the girls set out for finding Castrovalva, which it's nice to be told IS A CITY not a planet. There's more of Adric in the Master's web with his bulge, more plotting by the Master (really he almost seems to want to fail) and more crap from Tegan and Nyssa, although Janet does a great job of feeling and looking tired on the rocks after climbing up a few boulders on the rock face...I've done this and it is tiring. Nyssa seems a know all, Tegan's become a brash, bore who thinks she can fly the TARDIS....that's a bit negative. Not like me at all is it? Well anyway, I've always loved  this story but the truth is that after seeing all the Tom Baker's in one go...it's a bit boring really, and part two was down in rating for almost a million or more. I can see why. It's boring. Tom was wild looking, and watching him was just amazing. He was interesting and the plots were outlandish, out there and interesting. This...is a big blue box on a few scanner screens, a few scanner screens showing a planet, two girls wrestling with a white box, a yellow haired man acting old (and doing a great job of acting like an old man---but still an old man is an old man!), and a lot of forests with jungle sound effects.

The effect is like putting on a tape to make you go to sleep. And for that is almost succeeds. Peter's Doc is boring compared to Tom's but at the time I never really thought that or realized that. There wre so many other factors involved. He was different. He was younger seeming. He seemed more vulnerable and there were younger people to be relatable (well one anyway was, yup, Adric! and he was sidelined in this story pretty much.) ANd Adric does seem to side with the Master, for the first time he sides iwth the baddie, this time to save his own neck, it would seem anyway.

The woods tribe is almost a menace, the photography throughout nice and I like some chunks of episodes taking place on the TARDIS but this is just...as I said...slow moving really but never really that bad. The tension never really caught on as a dramatic bit but the effects were okay and the idea of jettisoning rooms is a good, but disturbing one. Peter does a passable Jon Pertwee for a few bits...would have liked to have seen more of that...but it harkens back to, again, a more interesting Doctor. Once Pete Doc stablizes he's not as nearly interesting as the others and nowehre more interesting than he was as the unstable regeneratiing Doctor buit never mind...

I still like this story but I must admit, I do miss Tom Baker and perhaps tha'ts the point. Perhaps missing him clouds this story so much that I 'm not really looking at it. I love teh atmopshere of smple dwelling, a "adventure" set among the lush green forest, and the lake, stream whatever. It's just that....nothing much really happens here. They esacape, land, are watched, and Nyssa loses some of her outfit and the Doc leviates and then vanishes...

- Ian 12                  - Zoe 13 (+1)           - Romana I 11     - Captain Jack 9
    - Vicki 8                  - The Brigadier 16     - Nyssa 8
    - Stephen 8 (-2)      - Jo Grant 13            - Tegan 8
    - Polly 10                - Sarah Jane 14        - Turlough 6
    - Ben 10                 Harry 13                 - Peri 8

- Jamie 15              Leela 14                 - Ace 7
    Victoria 8              - K9 8                       - Rose 12

_____________________________________________________________________________

27. Romana II
    28. Mickey
    29: Adric

31: Grace
    32: Dodo
    33: Mel

-Ian 12      -Zoe 12           -Romana I 11 -Captain Jack 9

-Barbara 12  -Liz 8            -Martha 8    -Donna 13(+1)

-Vicki 8     -The Brigadier 16 -Nyssa 8     -Stephen 10

-Jo Grant 13 -Tegan 8          -Polly 10    -Sarah Jane 14

-Turlough 6  -Ben 10           -Harry 13    -Peri 8(-2)

-Jamie 15    -Leela 14         -Ace 7       - Victoria 8

-K9 8        -Rose 12

_____________________________________________________________________________

27. Romana II
    28. Mickey
    29: Adric

31: Grace
    32: Dodo
    33: Mel

• Air Date for Torchwood S3   5 years 17 weeks ago

After perusing the BBC Press Office website I found the page about "Torchwood". The shedule confirms that it will air on BBC1 but as of now (June 18) it's time slot has not been set yet.

Here is a link to the BBC's info on that:

WARNING: Spoilers on the site!!!

ADDITIONAL WARNING: Clicking on the "Press Pack" links will give more info about the story.

It also has confirmation that it is a 5-part story.

UPDATE: We now have an airtime for the show 9:00 to 10:00 PM. It's on the above link as of today (6/25/09).

Sorry, not sure what the previous post was about. So I've ignored it.

- Ian 12                      -Zoe 12                      - Romana I 11   - Captain Jack 9
    - Barbara 12                - Liz 8                        - Martha 8         - Donna 12
    - Vicki 8                      - The Brigadier 16        - Nyssa 8
    - Stephen 10               - Jo Grant 13               - Tegan 8
    - Polly 10                    - Sarah Jane 14           - Turlough 6(-2)
    - Ben 10                     Harry 13(+1)             - Peri 10

- Jamie 15                  Leela 14                    - Ace 7                                                                          Victoria 8                  - K9 8                          - Rose 12

_____________________________________________________________________________

27. Romana II
    28. Mickey
    29: Adric

31: Grace
    32: Dodo
    33: Mel

• From the Beginning: The First Doctor   5 years 17 weeks ago

I recently listened to the audiobook of this story. Whilst I found the novel a little acronystic (It was told from the point of view of Homer (who manages to get blinded during the story and talk about games of Rugby!!))

However, I found the televized story (or rather the Loose Canon reconstruction) somewhat empty after the novel's rich detail. In someways this seems almost farsecal, like the Romans, with all the Heroes avoiding fighting and Cassandra's Doomsaying, however that is tempered by the brutal deaths of many of the protaganists, particularly Paris and King Priam.

Alas Vicki has departed, she seems to have only joined the TARDIS crew for a short while, but a study of IMDB reveals that it was 37 episodes ago. How time flies when you average about 10 episodes per week.

After disliking the character intensely in her first story, I am wishing she doen't have to leave, particularly since I haven't taken to Steven at all. I liked the little touch of her being renamed Cressida and staying behind for Troilus. If I ever find time I need to dig out my 'Complete Shakespeare' and reread 'Troilus and Cressida' bearing in mind that it is really Vicki from the 25th Cenury (I wonder if her Dad was called Buck?).

Is it well known why Vicki left? Was Maureen O'Brien tireed of the role, or did the BBC not like the character dynamic (if so I think they were wrong)? For that matter is anyone privey to why Susan, Ian and Barbara left?

Not much point in trying to like Katerina (doesn't seem a very classical name to me - more Russian! Though the interweb reveals it is a greek variant of Catherine). Actually as I type this I am on episode 7 of the Dalek Masterplan, so I have already seen her shift off This Mortal Coil.

Overall, I enjoyed this but think I preferred the novel. I found this the case with 'The Crusade" also, however I think the Crusade Novel was much better written.

Yet again, I am enjoying the historicals better than the science fiction (Galaxy four and Mission to the unknown in this case), however this was not quite up there with the best (Marco Polo, The Aztecs, The Romans).

Onto the twelve part Epic, The dalek Masterplan.

• From the Beginning: The First Doctor   5 years 17 weeks ago

Well I suppose this is a bit of a change. No regulars but Daleks and Varga Plants! I know this is meant to be a teaser for the Dalek Master Plan, but did folks really remember it five weeks later? Was it my imagination or was it stated (erroneously, I presume) that the Daleks came from the Solar System?

One gets the feeling that Mr T Nation really doesn't get the whole scale thing of Solar Systems, Constellations, Galaxy, Universe etc.

Star Trek at least always claimed everything went on within our Galaxy and didn't enter into the mind boggling distances of Intergalactic travel. But to think that Galactic Leaders (of other Galaxies) would be concerned by the affairs of a 'small blue-green planet' somewhere in the outer spiral arm of the Milky Way, seems quite remarkable.

The Varga plants were fun but overall this episode ranks no more than average.

Alright so I can't count.

Leela 10+1 =11

Romana II 10-2 = 8

Leela 10+2 = 12

• Doctor Who Novelisations   5 years 17 weeks ago

The novelisations were my first, and fondest, memory of Doctor Who. It was several yeasr before a local PBS brought it to out area. A cousin in Ontario videotaped Logopolis and Castrovalva for me.

I still read the novelisations, after countless times, every now and then and still enjoy them immensely

After watching 'Destiny of the Daleks' recently and seeing Lalla's awful acting
    during the Dalek interogation scene, She has to go.

- Vicki 8                      - The Brigadier 16        - Nyssa 8 (-2)
    - Stephen 10               - Jo Grant 13               - Tegan 8
    - Polly 10                    - Sarah Jane 14           - Turlough 8
    - Ben 10                     Harry 12                    - Peri 10

- Jamie 15                  Leela 14                    - Ace 7 (+1)
    Victoria 8                  - K9 8                          - Rose 12

_____________________________________________________________________________

27. Romana II 0 (-2)
    28. Mickey
    29: Adric

31: Grace
    32: Dodo
    33: Mel

• A Quick "Hello" and a Guide to Audible.com!   5 years 17 weeks ago

A warm welcome to one of our newer correspondents, Gallifreyan Irregular or as you will probably know her as Amy Krell from recent Doctor Who: Podshock episodes. Amy joins the "Podshock Crew" with a wealth of knowledge and history relating to Doctor Who and beyond. We are delighted and privileged to have her as part of our family.

- Barbara 12                - Liz 8                        - Romana II 2    - Martha 8
    - Vicki 8                      - The Brigadier 16        - Nyssa 8 (-2)     - Donna 12
    - Stephen 10               - Jo Grant 13               - Tegan 8
    - Polly 10                    - Sarah Jane 14           - Turlough 8
    - Ben 10                     Harry 12                    - Peri 10

- Jamie 15                  Leela 14 (+1)            - Ace 6
    Victoria 8                  - K9 8                          - Rose 12

_____________________________________________________________________________

28. Mickey
    29: Adric

31: Grace
    32: Dodo
    33: Mel

• Doctor Who Novelisations   5 years 17 weeks ago

...this should be a must-listen for any Who fan Absolutely delightful 30 minutes fo radio - full of love for the series and the books. And how lovely to hear from Chris Achilios!

- Barbara 12                - Liz 8                        - Romana II 2(-2)- Martha 8
    - Vicki 8                      - The Brigadier 16        - Nyssa 10         - Donna 12
    - Stephen 10               - Jo Grant 13               - Tegan 8
    - Polly 10                    - Sarah Jane 14 (+1)    - Turlough 8
    - Ben 10                     Harry 12                    - Peri 10

- Jamie 15                  Leela 13                    - Ace 6
    Victoria 8                  - K9 8                          - Rose 12

_____________________________________________________________________________

28. Mickey
    29: Adric

31: Grace
    32: Dodo
    33: Mel

• The Eleven Doctors Special for Children In Need?   5 years 17 weeks ago

Let us not forget we have not seen Doctor 11 yet. So would it be some weird advance look at him? Which would give away his costume unless it is just after regeneration, which would make DT's Dr know his regeneration is defiantly imminent.

Zoe 12 (+1)                       - K9 8                             - Martha 8
    - Ian 12                        - Liz 8                            - Donna 12
    - Barbara 12                 - The Brigadier 16             - Nyssa 10
    - Vicki 8                       - Jo Grant 13                    - Tegan 8
    - Stephen 10                 - Sarah Jane 13               - Turlough 8
    - Polly 10
    Harry 12                       - Peri 10
    - Ben 10                       Leela 13                       - Ace  6 (-2)

- Jamie 15                    - Romana I 11                 - Rose 12
    Victoria 8                    - Romana II 4                 - Captain Jack 9

_____________________________________________________________________________

28. Mickey
    29: Adric

31: Grace
    32: Dodo
    33: Mel

• Spam Filter   5 years 17 weeks ago

The spam filter we use has been updated and from reading what was fixed in it, there is a possibility that this issue may have been addressed. Since I myself have not been experiencing the problem, I can't be sure if it has been resolved or not.

How do you rate Doctor Who: Flatline? (5=Fantastic)