• Doctor in Distress   5 years 25 weeks ago

Please, enough of this song & video already.  It's totally unbearable!

Yell

• Doctor Who: The Next Doctor on DVD   5 years 25 weeks ago

UPDATE: There has been an update!

Since I posted this earlier today, the time slot for the airings has been extended. The new air-times are 9:00 PM - 10:15 PM and Midnight to 1:15 AM. 'The Graham Norton Show' has been reduced to accomodate the 'Doctor Who' episode.

• Doctor Who: The Next Doctor on DVD   5 years 25 weeks ago

BBC America (not the HD channel) will air 'The Next Doctor' this Saturday (June 27) at 9:00 PM (EDT).

It will re-air at midnight.

The bad thing is - it has been cut to fit in a 1-hour time slot.

So if you haven't see this episode yet and live in the US - catch it this weekend.

- Ian 12                  - Zoe 13                 - Romana I 11      - Captain Jack 9
    - Barbara 12            - Liz 8                     - Martha 2 (-2)            - Donna 13
    - Vicki 8                  - The Brigadier 17     - Nyssa 8
    - Stephen 8             - Jo Grant 14            - Tegan 8
    - Polly 8                  - Sarah Jane 14        - Turlough 2
    - Ben 11                  Harry 13                 - Peri 8

- Jamie 16              Leela 14                - Ace 6 (+1)
    Victoria 8              - K9 7                     - Rose 14

_____________________________________________________________________________

27. Romana II
    28. Mickey
    29: Adric

31: Grace
    32: Dodo
    33: Mel

- Barbara 12            - Liz 8                     - Martha 4            - Donna 13
    - Vicki 8                  - The Brigadier 17     - Nyssa 8
    - Stephen 8             - Jo Grant 14 (+1)    - Tegan 8
    - Polly 8                  - Sarah Jane 14        Turlough 2
    - Ben 11                  Harry 13                 - Peri 8

- Jamie 16              Leela 14                - Ace 5
    Victoria 8              - K9 7 (-2)                - Rose 14

_____________________________________________________________________________

27. Romana II
    28. Mickey
    29: Adric

31: Grace
    32: Dodo
    33: Mel

• BBC America in HD! Oh Yeah Baby!   5 years 25 weeks ago

Yeah, I'm so sorry - I didn't notice it until I was about to run out to a meeting, should have deleted. I'll get better at it, I promise!!!!!!

'Doom and Dumarest - Wimbledon and win'

Some Dr Who spin-off show news

• BBC America in HD! Oh Yeah Baby!   5 years 25 weeks ago

I tried to make it fit here Amy... the HTML emailings that BBC America sends out aren't designed to fit the format of our website column here. It was bleeding into the right side bar as a result.

I removed the non-related elements and squeezed in the rest to make it fit.

- Ian 12                  - Zoe 13                 - Romana I 11           - Captain Jack 9
    - Vicki 8                  - The Brigadier 17     - Nyssa 8
    - Stephen 8             - Jo Grant 13            - Tegan 8
    - Polly 8                  - Sarah Jane 14        - Turlough 2(-2)
    - Ben 11                  Harry 13                 - Peri 8

- Jamie 16              Leela 14                - Ace 5
    Victoria 8              - K9 9                      - Rose 14 (+1)

_____________________________________________________________________________

27. Romana II
    28. Mickey
    29: Adric

31: Grace
    32: Dodo
    33: Mel

• From the Beginning: The First Doctor   5 years 25 weeks ago

Season One Overview

This first season of Doctor Who scores  a 9 out of 10. The quality of the story telling overall has been exceptional and even though a life-long Doctor Who fan, before I started I was intially afraid that I would struggle in parts. The opposite, in fact, has happened and my enjoyment has grown with the development of the main characters.

The science fiction stories were well told, on the whole, with the best, in my opinion, of course, being the Daleks’ first tale and the weakest, to my mind, the Keys of Marinus saga (Terry Nation taking both extremes there!) which suffered from not having enough time to tell the story which it wanted to.

The historicals have been excellent (and just like Dr Whoovie – I have preferred these) with the best being the Aztecs and the worst the last three episodes on an Unearthly Child.

The characters have grown, becoming  fleshed out over the season, with the Doctors irascibility and unpredictability gradually being tempered by a strong sense of morality, and Ian and Barbara relaxing into their roles as wanderers of the fourth dimension and now actually enjoying their travels with the Doctor. The only character who seems to have suffered in terms of long-term development has been Susan, for me. She began the series as an interesting combination of British teenager from the sixties and alien outsider but by the Reign of Terror seems to do little more than scream at the sight of rats and hang on to Barbara at every turn. Shame, because she could have been so much more.

The supporting characters were well-written, and added a real sense of community to the times and places which the travellers visit.

The whole series felt like one coherent story to me, a fact aided by the cliff hangers at the end of each episode but also each story leading into the next.

I’m not sure why I should be surprised at just how much I’ve enjoyed this, but I am, and I’m bristling to move on to season two.

• CASTROVALVA   5 years 25 weeks ago

This gives away the ID of the Master!

This episode, I don't know why maybe it's because I know what's going to happen, starts out slow and gets slower and slower and slower. I guess when I first watched it I was excited by all the possibilities it had: savage war party, strange strangers in a strange place with a hint of menace by at least one or two of the Castrovalvans and the strange way the city was built plus the odd ways the city was filmed and the way the people moved through it, including Nyssa, the Doctor and Tegan, even before the cliffhanger lead up. And I defy anyone to tell me that they knew the real identity of the Master as the Portreve. That was a brilliant move. Then we have lunch or whatever dinner maybe and the Doctor discussing Ogrons and Daleks and that it is nice to have the universe not thought of as filled with nasty creatures. Indeed, this is a nice change. The entire episode is nice and finishes almost nice. There is something subtle going on and it's a bit unsettling. The Adric wraith stuff is well done and again, I'm sorry, but Waterhouse does a great job of acting during thse short pivotal scenes. Davison is still not fully regenerated or settled in and during some of this ep, isn't sure who he is! That's great! He's doing a good job but  I must admit on this viewing, if not the first few times, I was having Tom Baker withdrawal. I miss his Tomisms and Davison, while he tries to quote a few things and has a few Doctorisms, isn't really up to TOm Baker's type. He also...and I think the celery thing is stupid, even if I didn't think of it then--gets his celery. There's little tension, real tension here but there is a bit of mystery building. And the last scene of the trio trying to escape Castrovalva...is very cool as they keep returning to the same place and never really get anywhere, "We're caught in a space time trap!" Of course, just like the cliffhanger resolution at the start of this ep ("The Doctor must have walked out.") next week it doesn't seem like much of a big problem at first. Fielding does a bit better here in acting. Sutton is good too, especially when she has to shut up and just look out a window. The music is still lovely and the little girl and the Doctor interact nicely. A good, NICE episode but...where is Tom Baker? :)

- Ian 12                  - Zoe 13                 - Romana I 11     - Captain Jack 9
    - Barbara 12            - Liz 8                     - Martha 4 (-2)           - Donna 13
    - Vicki 8                  - The Brigadier 17     - Nyssa 8
    - Stephen 8             - Jo Grant 13            - Tegan 8
    - Polly 8            - Sarah Jane 14        - Turlough 4
    - Ben 11          Harry 13                 - Peri 8

- Jamie 16              Leela 14                - Ace 5
    Victoria 8              - K9 9                      - Rose 13 (+1)

_____________________________________________________________________________

27. Romana II
    28. Mickey
    29: Adric

31: Grace
    32: Dodo
    33: Mel

• From the Beginning: The First Doctor   5 years 25 weeks ago

I found REIGN to be variable but I enjoyed all the eps. with parts 1 and some of 2 very serious, 3,4, and some of 5 a bit silly but enjoyable and funny and the last eps with a man shot in the face, quite creepy in the way it was filmed and heard but not seen! Hartnell is in top form as are all the regulars. I must admit the terror of this time period is conveyed well as is the filth in the cells and the various factions that went on at that time and it's all well done. I am amused as how Hartnell keeps the DOctor both mysteerious, old, funny, and adorable but even then he just uses a small amount of THree Stooges violence. The sets are adequate this time and give a real sense of place and time. I never found all the back and forth tedious and in fact, found the various locations and characters quite interesting as well as the Doctor playing dress up. The whole thing amounts to a really good historical and tense as well as beliveable. IMO

- Ian 12                  - Zoe 13                 - Romana I 11     - Captain Jack 9
    - Barbara 12            - Liz 8                     - Martha 6           - Donna 13
    - Vicki 8                  - The Brigadier 17     - Nyssa 8

32: Dodo
    33: Mel

- Vicki 8                  - The Brigadier 17     - Nyssa 8
    - Stephen 8             - Jo Grant 13            - Tegan 8
    - Polly 10                - Sarah Jane 14        - Turlough 4
    - Ben 10                 Harry 13                 - Peri 8

- Jamie 16 (+1)       Leela 14                 - Ace 5 (-2)
    Victoria 8              - K9 9                      - Rose 12

_____________________________________________________________________________

27. Romana II
    28. Mickey
    29: Adric

31: Grace
    32: Dodo
    33: Mel

• From the Beginning: The First Doctor   5 years 25 weeks ago

The Reign of Terror: Spoilers!

Yet, again the first season delivers a cracking historical adventure set during the period of Terror following the French Revolution.

One problem that the series as a whole has always suffered from is inventing new and original reasons for why the crew don’t just run back to the TARDIS at the first sign of trouble and get the hell out of there. Here, our heroes are separated from each other (the Doctor believed dead in a fire) and spend most of the next six episodes trying to get together again. I enjoyed this as a narrative device for the main reasons that it felt credible but also made good use of all of the main cast members.

All, with the exception maybe of Susan. Whereas Barbara has grown during the last few stories and the writers have actually began to use the fact that she is a history teacher to help the viewers understand the historical context to the adventures or to provide an alternate viewpoint, Susan on the other hand seems to have reverted to the prototype Doctor Who companion. She does little in this adventure but swoon, scream and grab cling to Barbara. This for me is a shame, because the character could have been so much more.

Anyway, for once this six part adventure didn’t feel too long and the episodes crack by at a tremendous pace. I enjoyed episode six particularly with Ian and Barbara in disguise and the appearance of Napoleon Bonaparte. I also liked the scene in the TARDIS at the end where the friends reflect on the nature of their historical adventures and peace seems to reign in the Time Machine once more.

We discussed earlier in the thread whether or not watching the series in order had improved our enjoyment of various stories. I have to say that this is particularly true of this story. I listened to it last year and although quite enjoyed it, struggled to get through all six parts. This time, I romped through , looking forward to each new episode, enjoying how the series, which has now well and truly found its stride, goes from strength to strength.

Excellent. 9/10.

• The Eleven Doctors Special for Children In Need?   5 years 25 weeks ago

David Tennant's comments about this story (from an interview in the Chicago Tribune):

Now I also have to ask, I read a story about all 11 Doctors being united for a charity special some time this fall. Is there any truth to that?

Ooooh, that sounds like a good tabloid wheeze!

Well, if there's one thing I've learned from reading UK tabloids it's not to trust UK tabloids. So I thought I'd ask the source.

Oh sure. So what are they saying?

They're saying that for Children in Need, there will be a 15-minute charity film, it will reunite all the past Doctors via old footage or newly shot scenes. So I didn't know if you knew anything about that.

It's not something I've heard anything about. And I would have thought they'd be in touch. But that'd be quite a curious way to introduce Matt Smith, I'd have thought they'd wait until his first ["Doctor Who"] story. Not anything I've heard about yet.

Source: It's the beginning of the end of David Tennant's run on 'Doctor Who' (The Watcher | Chicagotribune.com)

- Barbara 12            - Liz 8                     - Martha 6 (-2)    - Donna 13
    - Vicki 8                  - The Brigadier 17     - Nyssa 8
    - Stephen 8             - Jo Grant 13            - Tegan 8
    - Polly 10                - Sarah Jane 14        - Turlough 4
    - Ben 10                 Harry 13                 - Peri 8

- Jamie 15              Leela 14                 - Ace 7
    Victoria 8              - K9 9 (+1)               - Rose 12

_____________________________________________________________________________

27. Romana II
    28. Mickey
    29: Adric

31: Grace
    32: Dodo
    33: Mel

- Barbara 12            - Liz 8                     - Martha 8            - Donna 13
    - Vicki 8                  - The Brigadier 17 (+1) - Nyssa 8
    - Stephen 8             - Jo Grant 13            - Tegan 8
    - Polly 10                - Sarah Jane 14        Turlough 4 (-2)
    - Ben 10                 Harry 13                 - Peri 8

- Jamie 15              Leela 14                 - Ace 7
    Victoria 8              - K9 8                       - Rose 12

_____________________________________________________________________________

27. Romana II
    28. Mickey
    29: Adric

31: Grace
    32: Dodo
    33: Mel

• From the Beginning: The First Doctor   5 years 25 weeks ago

Did we do this one already? I can't recall. Anyway it's not as good as LAND OF THE GIANTS. How can it be? The music and effects are terrible when compared to LAND OF THE GIANTS and the characters in LAND have a much better background and pov. Anyway PLANET is not terrible but it's close and it's rep is bad but if you watch it one ep at a time, day by day, it's pretty good. I'm glad for once the story is a murder mystery or rather not really. THe mystery is how the man was killed. Barbara for some reason is thinking she's dying but doesn't tell anyone. Dumb. The sink scene is pretty good. The bad thing is that none of the "giant" Earth men interact with the "little peple" in PLANET and even the insect models look flat and boring. The sets are okay actually adna the sink is pretty well done. Susan overacts again but for once, her panic attacks, seem warranted. Again, I make this out to be poor but it's entertaining mostly due to Hartnell and Russell's acting and the unusual plot, even for DW>

• From the Beginning: The First Doctor   5 years 25 weeks ago

STAR TREK also got stuff wrong I think but no matter, didn't they travel to the edge of our galaxy once or twice?

Whatever, MISSION TO THE UNKNOWN does it's job but this job could have been done in ten minutes tops or even five minutes. As it stands, it's boring sci fi, boring to the point of wanting to go to sleep. The characters are stock, wooden, 1950s types who don't hold my attention at all and the mission fails and the set up is...dull. Like I say, it did it's job. Terry Nation thought he could do a show based around some of these characters? NO wonder it didn't take off. Dalek stories, to be good, really good, have to have some characters that are quirky or interesting and this has none of that. And the Daleks, even though they kill off one or two people, don't even seem that dangerous there. A good idea, having a prelude a week or two before the actual story starts but...it just doesn't rock.

• From the Beginning: The First Doctor   5 years 25 weeks ago

Listening to the audio was boring. The reconsturctions (that's right there are two) are so much better. For one thing, putting a face to the charcters gave me them more depth and more room to feel something for. I think the wit comes across more when you see the faces, also the entire story seems to balance, better than the ROMANS I thought, the humor, wit, and tragic stuff that is about to happen. In fact, someone once wrote that the humor moves along until the evil end but I didn't see it that way. I felt the humor was always there among the charcacters who were all quite intense in a way that Nero wasn't in THE ROMANS, he was fluff through out and almost never scary or intense save one scene where he kills a guard near Barbara. In this, almost everyone has motives that are scary and annoying and selfish but then they have another side too. They love their families.

I also found Vicki's predicament interesting. Did she really Trolius? I don't think she did but I think she did something to save him and then...wanted to let him know she wasn't terrible for lying to him and yet she did it. And also didn't save his family or even try to warn them, I don't think. She left thE TARDIS with almost no one protesting, certainly not the DOctor. He seemed almost, in t he recon, to ahve given himself up to the fact that the "child" as he calls her, had to go to prevserve her own faith, give up her own guilty feelings, and keep time intact or something. Truthfully I'm not sorry to see her go. She was never my favorite charcter and in GFALAXY FOUR i wanted her to go then and there. I do think she had a great rapport with Hartnell and added something which when lost, gave the series a darker, more intense deatlhly tone. SOMeone once said the Trolus was probably gay and they wouldn't last anyway but whatever, her departure was many layered and complex, moreso than in the novel, which to me was a curioius thnig. Smart at times, stupid at others, and frankly boring if you're looking for action adventure time travel.

This story is much better than I first thought. The audio does not do it justice, nor does the book. But the reconstruction makes one feel each death, slightly laugh at each joke or sarcastic comment from the guest cast and sukrprizingly feel for Vicki in her predicament in wanting Trolious to know her true intent...I think that's what it was but whatever it was, she was in a predicament. I don't htink she really wanted to go but she wanted him to know she didn't do something terribly mean to him which I think she did.

• CASTROVALVA   5 years 25 weeks ago

I honest don't know what to make of this episode. I like it. It's nice, humble, and quaint. It has GREAT music once the girls set out for finding Castrovalva, which it's nice to be told IS A CITY not a planet. There's more of Adric in the Master's web with his bulge, more plotting by the Master (really he almost seems to want to fail) and more crap from Tegan and Nyssa, although Janet does a great job of feeling and looking tired on the rocks after climbing up a few boulders on the rock face...I've done this and it is tiring. Nyssa seems a know all, Tegan's become a brash, bore who thinks she can fly the TARDIS....that's a bit negative. Not like me at all is it? Well anyway, I've always loved  this story but the truth is that after seeing all the Tom Baker's in one go...it's a bit boring really, and part two was down in rating for almost a million or more. I can see why. It's boring. Tom was wild looking, and watching him was just amazing. He was interesting and the plots were outlandish, out there and interesting. This...is a big blue box on a few scanner screens, a few scanner screens showing a planet, two girls wrestling with a white box, a yellow haired man acting old (and doing a great job of acting like an old man---but still an old man is an old man!), and a lot of forests with jungle sound effects.

The effect is like putting on a tape to make you go to sleep. And for that is almost succeeds. Peter's Doc is boring compared to Tom's but at the time I never really thought that or realized that. There wre so many other factors involved. He was different. He was younger seeming. He seemed more vulnerable and there were younger people to be relatable (well one anyway was, yup, Adric! and he was sidelined in this story pretty much.) ANd Adric does seem to side with the Master, for the first time he sides iwth the baddie, this time to save his own neck, it would seem anyway.

The woods tribe is almost a menace, the photography throughout nice and I like some chunks of episodes taking place on the TARDIS but this is just...as I said...slow moving really but never really that bad. The tension never really caught on as a dramatic bit but the effects were okay and the idea of jettisoning rooms is a good, but disturbing one. Peter does a passable Jon Pertwee for a few bits...would have liked to have seen more of that...but it harkens back to, again, a more interesting Doctor. Once Pete Doc stablizes he's not as nearly interesting as the others and nowehre more interesting than he was as the unstable regeneratiing Doctor buit never mind...

I still like this story but I must admit, I do miss Tom Baker and perhaps tha'ts the point. Perhaps missing him clouds this story so much that I 'm not really looking at it. I love teh atmopshere of smple dwelling, a "adventure" set among the lush green forest, and the lake, stream whatever. It's just that....nothing much really happens here. They esacape, land, are watched, and Nyssa loses some of her outfit and the Doc leviates and then vanishes...

- Ian 12                  - Zoe 13 (+1)           - Romana I 11     - Captain Jack 9
    - Vicki 8                  - The Brigadier 16     - Nyssa 8
    - Stephen 8 (-2)      - Jo Grant 13            - Tegan 8
    - Polly 10                - Sarah Jane 14        - Turlough 6
    - Ben 10                 Harry 13                 - Peri 8

- Jamie 15              Leela 14                 - Ace 7
    Victoria 8              - K9 8                       - Rose 12

_____________________________________________________________________________

27. Romana II
    28. Mickey
    29: Adric

31: Grace
    32: Dodo
    33: Mel

-Ian 12      -Zoe 12           -Romana I 11 -Captain Jack 9

-Barbara 12  -Liz 8            -Martha 8    -Donna 13(+1)

-Vicki 8     -The Brigadier 16 -Nyssa 8     -Stephen 10

-Jo Grant 13 -Tegan 8          -Polly 10    -Sarah Jane 14

-Turlough 6  -Ben 10           -Harry 13    -Peri 8(-2)

-Jamie 15    -Leela 14         -Ace 7       - Victoria 8

-K9 8        -Rose 12

_____________________________________________________________________________

27. Romana II
    28. Mickey
    29: Adric

31: Grace
    32: Dodo
    33: Mel

How do you rate Doctor Who: Death in Heaven? (5=Fantastic)