• Dodged a Bullet??   5 years 14 weeks ago

Well I haven't watched JEKYLL but I suspect it's very very good. From anyone who has watched it, that's what I've heard. As far as dodging a bullett, I think DW was hit smacxk on full hard by the bullet that is and was and will be John Simms. He's totaly over the TOP, way too silly to be menacing, and predictable but tha'ts more in the writing than the acxting but his acxting was totally hammy and jsut plain bad. More bullets to come might just be : More Capt Jack not really fulfullling his true potential again, weddings?, more companoin crossovers with no real plot to rely on, David Tennant again (sorry about that one), more Daleks, more Cybermen, more Davros's silly plans and silly speeches (HOW CAN HE CLAIM THE DOCTOR IS BAD when he's just pathetically evil?), another, yet another ending for Rose and her John Smith, and who knows what else awaits us in what NOVEMBER? Or Xmas? Sigh.

• Primeval being axed?   5 years 14 weeks ago

>> I love the first season, feel so so about the second, and feel the third was variable.

I agree with Chase there. But I think it deserves another chance, and boy is my wife gonna be pissed when she hears this- she loves that show!      ~Dred

• The Keeper of Traken   5 years 14 weeks ago

Hey Troy, not to be contentious or anything. I did notice the later ones but the first one is really the guntoting guards advancing on the Doctor and Adric with guns drawn, ready to fire so that's really a traditional cliffhanger. The others are just...well, I liked them at the time but to be honest, compared to the Sarah Jane cliffhangers  in almost all her stores (being ravaged by a Zygon, having her hand near an erupting Krynoid, falling off a gantry, spotting Davros testing a first time Dalek, trying to free the Doctor's neck from a baby Dalek, recovering her sight as a monster advances on her from behind, the Loch Ness monster fondling the Doctor from on high, etc etc) these are really dull. Not terrible for the story mind you and different because as you say subtle but I wouldn't want cliffhangers like this all the time. Just my opinion.

• From the Beginning: The First Doctor   5 years 14 weeks ago

Idiom, I'd have to agree with you there. I think the SENSORITES is really the set up for WHO as we know it now in many ways. I love the points you made about the story itself. It also set up some really strangeness for Susan which was never really fulfilled later on and the Doc and Susan relate well and one can tell that he cares for her but that she wants to be a woman and not a teenager. The aliens look fantastic and the spaceship stuff in the first two or so eps is really good. There is some creakiness to the entire thing but that's to be expected.

Just today I showed some students FATHER'S DAY and they thought the show was from the 1970s! And they thought the effects looked terrible compared what we have "now" and when I told them it was a show from england they said, "Say no more."  As if they thought...well never mind. SENSORITES in that frame is really rather ahead of its time in the city, the ship, etc but in another vein it's really in FLASH GORDON (the good one from the 1930s and 40s in  movie chapter format with Buster Crabbe) format.

The last ep or so is rather tedious in THE SENSORITES and well, it's rather all longish but in a way not really dramatic in the ending, still I loved it. There's a lot to recommend it and for the first time, it really feels like an alien planet, or in DW's case, part of an alien planet. I really liked this story though and everyone seems to ahve a part to play in it and it is really enjoyable. I'd give it the same rating.

Oh the one thing I t hought was really cheesy was: wasn't there supposed to be a monster in the waterworks or the mines and we only hear it and never see it. Even FLASH GORDON would ahve shown something. Even a shadow or do we see that? Anyway though, sometimes not seeing a monster is more imagiative but here it's just cheesy.

hope I did this right.

- Susan 4        - Zoe 11                      - Adric 4 (-2)              Martha 8
    - Barbara 10         - The Brigadier 15        - Tegan 8
    - Vicki 10              - Joe Grant 12       - Turlough 8
    - Stephen 10         - Sarah Jane 12          - Peri 10

- Harry 11                   - Ace  6
    - Ben 10               - Leela 12                  - Grace 6
    - Polly 10             - K9 10                       - Rose 12 (+ 1)
    - Jamie 13           - Romana I 10            - Mickey 6
    - Victoria 11        - Romana II 10           - Captain Jack 9

______________________________________________________________________________

32: Dodo
    33: Mel

'Moon, moonlight, skull and horror - I need a glass of wine at the end'

Dr Who - DVD 'Image of the Fendahl'

EDIT - note to Louis - 528x426 seems to work :-)

• From the Beginning: The First Doctor   5 years 14 weeks ago

I particularly like this as one of the best stories for Barbara. It's one of the few times a companion tries to alter history to improve things, and unfortunately she failed miserably.

Like you it took me a while to warm up to some of the earlier companions but by this time Barbara had found her footing and became a memorable character in the show.

Just a note:

During this time the actors were taking vacation time while the show was going. In this story Carol Anne Ford was gone for two episodes and was seen in pre-recorded clips for the story. During "The Keys of Marinus" Willaim Hartnell had taken his break, in "The Sensorites" Jacquline Hill took her break and in the story after that ("The Reign of Terror") William Russell took his break.

• From the Beginning: The First Doctor   5 years 14 weeks ago

THE SENSORITES: SPOILERS!!!

I’ve done well this week – an episode a night and I’ve worked my way through the Sensorites. I wasn’t sure during the first episode whether I’d like this or not but my doubts were soon swept away by the claustrophobic feel of the spaceship and the eerie cliffhanger to episode one. Another great story with enough twists and turns and groups to make the story interesting (although I feel that the story could have done without episode two, which felt a little padded for my liking).

Some thoughts:

·         Loved the look of the Sensorites themselves, like bipedal fish with beards. I also liked the timid, nervous nature of these creatures who almost couldn’t stand extremes of any kind

·         The TARDIS lock burnt out?! What?

·         Susan showing signs of telepathy but the Doctor not?

·         The growing bonds between the TARDIS crew (The Doctor calling Ian: My Boy) who really work as a team now and the shock turnaround in the Doctor’s attitude at the end of episode six

·         A nice example of sixties racism as Carol declares that she can’t tell one Sensorite from the other but then it seems that even the Sensorites can’t seem to tell each other apart, thus the use of sashes to distinguish rank and individual

·         Peter Glaze played the Third Elder – was this the same Peter Glaze from Crackerjack? The more I think about it, the more it really seemed like him despite the Sensorite mask.

A strong and interesting story overall. Another  recommendation but as discussed in the postings above probably more enjoyable when seen as part of the first season as a whole. 8 out of 10.

Next: Vive la revolution!

• From the Beginning: The First Doctor   5 years 14 weeks ago

When I first say the Aztecs, it was the first Hartnell story, I'd ever seen. Everything that I knew about the first Doctor up until that point had was from the Target novels (which as a young boy, I loved incidentally). It may have taken me an episode to warm up to the characters but I have ton say that my experience was different from Doctor Whoovie's and I loved the story the first time that I saw it.

However, I do agree that watching in order from the beginning adds a whole new dimension. Yes, the characters grow, their relationships deepen. Susan has stopped being annoying for me, I love watching Ian walk round in his top from thirteenth century China in the Keys of Marinus. As the bonds between the two halves of the Tardis crew strengthen so my interest in them grows. Yes, I am enjoying this thoroughly.

• Doctor Who Motivational Posters   5 years 14 weeks ago

Gone too far?

• Doctor Who Motivational Posters   5 years 14 weeks ago

It's in the episode Lord Parker's 'Oliday.

• Air Date for Torchwood S3   5 years 14 weeks ago

Well, when the BBC aired the 4th series of "Doctor Who" there was about a month "lag time" from then to when it aired in the US (on Sci-Fi).

That is to be expected, but I wish could get a simultaneous broadcast like they did for "The Five Doctors" when it came out. They did that specially for the 20th anniversary - so why can't they do it now?Frown

• Ken, Daphne, and Louis 2009   5 years 14 weeks ago

Now that's a mug shot!!!!!

- Susan 4 (-2)        - Zoe 11                      - Adric 6               Martha 8
    - Barbara 10         - The Brigadier 15        - Tegan 8
    - Vicki 10              - Joe Grant 12 (+1)       - Turlough 8
    - Stephen 10         - Sarah Jane 12          - Peri 10

- Harry 11                   - Ace  6
    - Ben 10               - Leela 12                  - Grace 6
    - Polly 10             - K9 10                       - Rose 11
    - Jamie 13           - Romana I 10            - Mickey 6
    - Victoria 11        - Romana II 10           - Captain Jack 9

______________________________________________________________________________

32: Dodo
    33: Mel

• Spam Filter   5 years 15 weeks ago

The mystery continues here. Though at least we are narrowing it down. I am stumped on why it is being triggered when voting from the side bar block. Hmm..

I will try to look further into this matter.

Thanks and sorry about the trouble.

• Happy Anniversary to Us! 24 Years of Time and Space.   5 years 15 weeks ago

I know we havent used such terms in quite some time, but I am feeling nostalgic!!  We should consider having an old traditional ”meeting” someplace on a Sunday to celebrate.   At the very least, we should have one in August or September (which ever coincides with the first monthly meeting at Rockville Centre) Maybe even in the same spot!!!  Wish I could have made it to the gathering in the city, but as you said....  weekday and all (and at night, something we never did in the days of meetings)  TTFN   Tim

• Air Date for Torchwood S3   5 years 15 weeks ago

That also puts it the "week" of July 4-10, which means it'll air in the UK two weeks before BBC America.

And here we all had our hopes pinned on their airing each episode the same day in both countries. Yell

And the spam filter thinks my post could be spam! YellYell

• Spam Filter   5 years 15 weeks ago

Glad it worked.

I knew it worked for me so I thought I'd suggest it to you.

Whoovie and I seem to have submitted our entries at exactly the same time.  So here is Whoovie's entry reproduced with my point allocations included:

- Susan 6             - Zoe 11                      - Adric 6               Martha 8 (-2)
    - Ian 12                - Liz 10                       - Nyssa 10           Donna 11 (+1)
    - Barbara 10         - The Brigadier 15        - Tegan 8
    - Vicki 10              - Joe Grant 11            - Turlough 8
    - Stephen 10         - Sarah Jane 12          - Peri 10

- Harry 11                   - Ace  6
    - Ben 10               - Leela 12                  - Grace 6
    - Polly 10             - K9 10                       - Rose 11
    - Jamie 13           - Romana I 10            - Mickey 6
    - Victoria 11        - Romana II 10           - Captain Jack 9

______________________________________________________________________________

32: Dodo
    33: Mel

- Susan 6             - Zoe 11                      - Adric 6               - Martha 10
    - Ian 12               - Liz 10                       - Nyssa 10            - Donna 10
    - Barbara 10        - The Brigadier 15        Tegan 8
    - Vicki 10            - Jo Grant 11                - Turlough 8
    - Stephen 10       - Sarah Jane 12             - Peri 10

- Harry 11                    - Ace  6 (+1)
    - Ben 10              - Leela 12                    - Grace 6 (-2)
    - Polly 10             - K9 10                       - Rose 11
    - Jamie 13           - Romana I 10            - Mickey 6
    - Victoria 11        - Romana II 10           - Captain Jack 9

______________________________________________________________________________

32: Dodo
    33: Mel

• Spam Filter   5 years 15 weeks ago

Troy is correct!

If I choose polls at the top, get the list and select the poll I want to vote in, my vote is registered if it appears in the central column, the spam filter is triggered if attempt to vote from the sidebars.

Mystery solved (kind of).

Stewart

• Spam Filter   5 years 15 weeks ago

I don't know if this makes a difference or not but when the poll is in the right hand column, I get the message about triggering the spam filter.

Look in the center column and place your vote there, for some reason this works fine for me. The poll is usually repeated in the news columns.

Hope this helps.

Note to whoever is working on this problem:

I am using Internet Explorer 8 and have the same problem if I vote in the right-hand column.

- Susan 6             - Zoe 11                      - Adric 6               - Martha 8 (-2)
    - Ian 12                - Liz 10                       - Nyssa 10           - Donna 11 (+1)
    - Barbara 10         - The Brigadier 15        - Tegan 8
    - Vicki 10              - Joe Grant 11            - Turlough 8
    - Stephen 10         - Sarah Jane 12          - Peri 10

- Harry 11                   - Ace  5
    - Ben 10               - Leela 12                  - Grace 8
    - Polly 10             - K9 10                       - Rose 11
    - Jamie 13           - Romana I 10            - Mickey 6
    - Victoria 11        - Romana II 10           - Captain Jack 9

______________________________________________________________________________

32: Dodo
    33: Mel

• Spam Filter   5 years 15 weeks ago

I am using Microsoft Explorer v6.0 on Windows XP w service pack3.

I do log in from different computers at different times of the day.

Just tried it on my home computer also XP but with IE V7, same thing happened but

I read the next line, it said 'validation error'. Maybe this helps.

This time and the first time the problem occured  I was using the poll section in the right hand bar. But the second time I think the poll was in the left hand side bar, though I cannot find a poll there currently.

Stewart

- Ian 12 (+1)        - Liz 10                       - Nyssa 10            - Donna 10
    - Barbara 10         - The Brigadier 15        - Tegan 8 (-2)
    - Vicki 10              - Joe Grant 11            - Turlough 8
    - Stephen 10         - Sarah Jane 12          - Peri 10

- Harry 11                   - Ace  5
    - Ben 10               - Leela 12                  - Grace 8
    - Polly 10             - K9 10                       - Rose 11
    - Jamie 13           - Romana I 10            - Mickey 6
    - Victoria 11        - Romana II 10           - Captain Jack 9

______________________________________________________________________________

32: Dodo
    33: Mel

How do you rate Doctor Who: The Caretaker? (5=Fantastic)