• Gallifreyan Embassy Website Regenerated   5 years 11 weeks ago

This week the default site will be this one (the new one) (probably on Thursday, our anniversary day). While the previous site will still continue to run and will serve as an archive for the last four years (so all that content will not be lost, and all previous links to it created over the last four years will still continue to work), there will be no more new sign up registrations there (though if someone signs up here and would like to post comments to past content there, we can generate a registration for them upon request). Also there will be more obvious links to the site from there as well.

• Gallifreyan Embassy Website Regenerated   5 years 11 weeks ago

Great job! One question...for how long will both sites be up and running for? With no obvious link from the old to the new both seem to be ongoing. If I want to post or upload something I'm left wondering if I should do it twice so that everone see's it.

Mike

Susan 8             - Zoe 11                  - Adric 7               - Martha 10
    - Ian 11               - Liz 10                    - Nyssa 10            - Donna 10
    - Barbara 10        - The Brigadier 11       - Tegan 10
    - Vicki 10            - Joe Grant 11           - Turlough 8
    - Stephen 10        - Sara Jane 12(+1)   - Peri 10
    - Dodo 6 (-2)       - Harry 11                 - Ace  10
    - Ben 10             - Leela 12                 - Grace 8
    - Polly 10            - K9 10                     - Rose 10
    - Jamie 13          - Romana I 10            - Mickey 6                                                             - Victoria 10        - Romana II 10           - Captain Jack 10

_________________________________________________________________
    33: Mel

- Ian 11 (+1)       - Liz 10                    - Nyssa 10            - Donna 10
    - Barbara 10        - The Brigadier 11       - Tegan 10
    - Vicki 10            - Joe Grant 11           - Turlough 8
    - Stephen 10        - Sara Jane 11           - Peri 10
    - Dodo 8             - Harry 11                 - Ace  10
    - Ben 10             - Leela 12                 - Grace 8
    - Polly 10            - K9 10                     - Rose 10
    - Jamie 13          - Romana I 10            - Mickey 6 (-2)
    - Victoria 10        - Romana II 10           - Captain Jack 10

_________________________________________________________________
    33: Mel
  • Primeval being axed?   5 years 11 weeks ago

I think anyone sending any e-mails/letters should forward them to Impossible Pictures.  The only good piece of fortune with all of this is that ITV don't own Primeval, so it could be sold to another channel.

Personally I think we'll see a US TV/Film version rather than more of the UK series.  Which is a shame because there's still more of the story to tell from its currrent incarnation.

Anyway, here's the link to the relevant addresses for Impossible Pictures, http://www.impossiblepictures.co.uk/ (click on the 'contact' tab).

EDIT: Grade is already leaving his post at the end of the year.  http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8013801.stm  I can't really see him getting rid of one of ITV's most successful shows out of spite.  Oh wait...1989...

• American Accents   5 years 11 weeks ago

I've just thought of even worse American accents in Who than Captain Hopper, what about The Space Pirates? Even more wooden than Thunderbirds, and I don't mean the actual puppets! Nicola Bryant's accent did slip a couple of times, right at the start of Caves she pronounces "glass" in her native posh English. Maybe the Doctor was trying to give her elocution lessons...

- Susan 8 (-2)      - Zoe 11                  - Adric 7               - Martha 10
    - Ian 10              - Liz 10                    - Nyssa 10            - Donna 10
    - Barbara 10        - The Brigadier 11       - Tegan 10
    - Vicki 10            - Joe Grant 11           - Turlough 8
    - Stephen 10        - Sara Jane 11           - Peri 10
    - Dodo 8             - Harry 11                 - Ace  10
    - Ben 10             - Leela 12 (+1)          - Grace 8
    - Polly 10            - K9 10                     - Rose 10
    - Jamie 13          - Romana I 10            - Mickey 8
    - Victoria 10        - Romana II 10           - Captain Jack 10
    _________________________________________________________________
    33: Mel
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 153   5 years 11 weeks ago
    PS

I was Shockeye07 but am now Mr Smith, new site, new name.

• Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 153   5 years 11 weeks ago

Hi Guys Really enjoyed the show especially the review of The Tenth Planet. A couple of interesting things about this story. First of all the surviving visual material. As well as the clip that survived through Blue Peter, there is also some other material that survives because somebody (in Australia I think) pointed a home movie camera at there TV set and recorded a few precious moments of this (& some other) episode. The Target novel. The ending is very different from the TV version. In the novel, the doctor puts his cloak over his face & when Ben & Polly pull the cloak back, the Doctor has changed !

• Primeval being axed?   5 years 11 weeks ago

I don't believe online petitions will do much, if anything at all when it comes to television programming today (and for that matter, many other things for the most part). My suggestion would be to put your efforts into direct emails or better yet snail mail.

Online petitions won't hurt of course, but that alone I doubt will do much if it is not backed up by other methods of getting your voices heard. Sign away, but be sure to send an email, make a telephone call, or write a letter to the powers that be as well.

• American Accents   5 years 11 weeks ago

The best American actor to do a 'British' accent* is Alexis Denisof (who's in Angel I believe?).  Although he worked in the UK for a few years his RP accent in the Sharpe episodes he was in was utterly superb.  I couldn't believe it when I found out out he was American!

Although, John Barrowman is definitaley Scottish.  If you read up on it, he actually 'put on' his accent when he was at school, because he got builled for having a Scottish accent.  I personally felt offended by Braveheart, so i'll gloss over that and say that a Frenchman playing a Scot and a Scot playing an Egyptian in Highlander was probably one of the worst piece of castings ever.  I don't care how good Lambert was in the first film!

I haven't seen House but I reckon Damian Lewis can do a better accent than Hugh Laurie!  (no offence to Hugh fans)

But I think once we find out where a actor is from, once he/she does another accent we're always going to be picking up on every word and calling it 'terrible' if they get anything wrong.  Hence the believability goes from the character and eventually the show itself, which spoils your enjoyment.

* There is no such thing as a 'British accent'!

• Primeval being axed?   5 years 11 weeks ago

It's sad but it proves now that only the BBC are intrested in making decent British drama.  What has happened to those one-off drama seasons that ITV used to run?  I also would like to see what budget ITV are working with - this series of Primeval was a co-production with a German TV company.

I've read somewhere that the creators had a few overseas investors lined up for series 4 but ITV still didn't want it.  I hope they don't leave the show the way it ended.  This new hollywood movie will be a utter disaster, I know it.

There's rumours going around that Impossible Pictures may sell it to another channel.  Sky seem the most likely to pick it up, along with the SCI-FI channel (the UK one that actually shows SCI-Fi and not wrestling!) but I don't think they've done an orginal series in years.  Primeval is distrubted by BBC Worldwide, so maybe...

• 9 needs more love.   5 years 11 weeks ago

Maybe if there is indeed a big buget motion picture in the works w/ Russell T and Dr. #10 that that would be a big enough plum for Christopher to take a bite of.  I hope so, would that be great, the likes of Dr.s 8,9 & 10 in a big screen movie?  One can dream.

I feel like we never had a proper 'Doctor's' episode w/ the Three Doctors having poor Bill Hartnell confined to a few cameo's, and the Five Doctors w/out Tom Baker and a William Hartnell stand in.

• 9 needs more love.   5 years 11 weeks ago

Of course. It's just that I happened to notice that all the other Doctors had at least one post, while poor Chris had nothing yet and I had to fix that.

I do, however, believe that there IS a tendency to forget about Chris. However, I feel like this is starting to get better, particularly in the podcasting community, at least partly thanks to the guys at Radio Free Skaro who are doing commentaries on Season One episodes.

• American Accents   5 years 11 weeks ago

'What about James Marsters? I thought he was from England until I heard him in interviews. His accent is impeccable though. Maybe that's why he rarely plays American roles. And Hugh Laurie is a master of accents. He can switch back and forth between so many, it's crazy.'

Totally agree

PS -Carl you need to sort out your SIG link to twitter

• Primeval being axed?   5 years 11 weeks ago

Although I think Primeval has faults - it really is a developing into a really good Sci-Fi Show - so I've added my name to the petition.

• American Accents   5 years 11 weeks ago

How could I forget him!  I just watched that episode last month.  It seems to me that the key ingredient in putting on an American accent is to talk loudly, be abrupt and direct, wave a gun around indescriminantly and to if possible call people 'guys' or 'fellers'

haha.

If it's any consolation - we too are ashamed of Dick Van Dyke's turn as a chimney sweep.  Don't forget about Keanu Reeves in Bram Stokers Dracula.

I would like if we can agree that each person can vote once per calender day, rather than having to wait 24 hours since the last vote.

My schedule is such that sometimes I can be at the computer every day, but sometimes it may be early morning, other days lunch time or the evening.

It would appear that this forum reports posting times in local time (the old site referenced everything to EST). Does it show everything in the viewing users timezone, or is each entry recorded in the posters local time?

• American Accents   5 years 11 weeks ago

John Barrowman was born in Scotland, but has lived in the US since 1976, when he's not in the UK at least. He's technically a Scottish-American then?  Laughing

• Primeval being axed?   5 years 11 weeks ago

Wheather he is behind it or not, he makes a very convient target.  But if ye want to know more....   Follow me on twitter------>

• Primeval being axed?   5 years 11 weeks ago

Do you really reckon Michael Grade was behind this? If so that just goes to prove everything.

• American Accents   5 years 11 weeks ago

It's funny because we Brits often laugh at the number of American actors who's fail to pull off our accents. Dick Van Dyke in Marry Poppins is quite possibly the worst ever. Mind you there are exceptions, Brad Bit's Irish twang in Scratch is good, and Mel Gibson does a passable Scot in Braveheart (but then he should considering he's got roots in Scotland). As for the other way round surely one of the worst American accents was Captain Hopper in "Tomb of the Cybermen". Cory Johnson in "Dalek" is I'm sure American as he talks so in the "Confidential" episode.

• Primeval being axed?   5 years 11 weeks ago

Yes it's true.  Beeb news announcemnet and all.  Have forwarded a tweet of mine to ye Louis to get petitions signed to get it back/fire Grade/get it sold to someone who will care for it.  I think it deserves another chance (prefferably with Lucy Brown).  Thoughts?

• Primeval being axed?   5 years 11 weeks ago

This is from the BBC News site: Primeval axed after three series

Primeval axed after three series

Primeval cast members
    Primeval was shown on ITV1 on Saturday teatimes

Science fiction drama series Primeval has been axed after "three very successful series", ITV has confirmed.

Starring Ben Miller, Douglas Henshall, and ex-S Club 7 star Hannah Spearritt, the show followed a group of scientists studying prehistoric creatures.

"High quality drama remains a key part of the ITV schedule, although our current focus is on post-watershed production," ITV said in a statement.

The show had an average audiences of about five million this year.

The figure was down from around six million for the first two series.

Earlier this year, ITV announced 600 job cuts and says it is now aiming to cut a further £40m in 2010.

Primeval may have suffered because of the big-budget computer effects needed to generate its fantastical creatures.

Website Total Sci-Fi said it had been told by a source that Primeval's production team were "devastated" but that they had "every intention of keeping Primeval alive in other ways".

And she's gone!
    - Susan 10           - Zoe 11                  - Adric 7               - Martha 10
    - Barbara 10        - The Brigadier 11       - Tegan 10
    - Vicki 10            - Joe Grant 10 (+1)     - Turlough 8
    - Stephen 10        - Sara Jane 11           - Peri 10
    - Dodo 8             - Harry 11                 - Ace  10
    - Ben 10             - Leela 11                  - Grace 8
    - Polly 10            - K9 10                     - Rose 10
    - Jamie 13          - Romana I 10            - Mickey 8
    - Victoria 10        - Romana II 10           - Captain Jack 10
    _________________________________________________________________
    33: Mel 0 (-2)

How do you rate Doctor Who: Deep Breath? (5=Fantastic)