• Primeval being axed?   5 years 14 weeks ago

Wheather he is behind it or not, he makes a very convient target.  But if ye want to know more....   Follow me on twitter------>

• Primeval being axed?   5 years 14 weeks ago

Do you really reckon Michael Grade was behind this? If so that just goes to prove everything.

• American Accents   5 years 14 weeks ago

It's funny because we Brits often laugh at the number of American actors who's fail to pull off our accents. Dick Van Dyke in Marry Poppins is quite possibly the worst ever. Mind you there are exceptions, Brad Bit's Irish twang in Scratch is good, and Mel Gibson does a passable Scot in Braveheart (but then he should considering he's got roots in Scotland). As for the other way round surely one of the worst American accents was Captain Hopper in "Tomb of the Cybermen". Cory Johnson in "Dalek" is I'm sure American as he talks so in the "Confidential" episode.

• Primeval being axed?   5 years 14 weeks ago

Yes it's true.  Beeb news announcemnet and all.  Have forwarded a tweet of mine to ye Louis to get petitions signed to get it back/fire Grade/get it sold to someone who will care for it.  I think it deserves another chance (prefferably with Lucy Brown).  Thoughts?

• Primeval being axed?   5 years 14 weeks ago

This is from the BBC News site: Primeval axed after three series

Primeval axed after three series

Primeval cast members
    Primeval was shown on ITV1 on Saturday teatimes

Science fiction drama series Primeval has been axed after "three very successful series", ITV has confirmed.

Starring Ben Miller, Douglas Henshall, and ex-S Club 7 star Hannah Spearritt, the show followed a group of scientists studying prehistoric creatures.

"High quality drama remains a key part of the ITV schedule, although our current focus is on post-watershed production," ITV said in a statement.

The show had an average audiences of about five million this year.

The figure was down from around six million for the first two series.

Earlier this year, ITV announced 600 job cuts and says it is now aiming to cut a further £40m in 2010.

Primeval may have suffered because of the big-budget computer effects needed to generate its fantastical creatures.

Website Total Sci-Fi said it had been told by a source that Primeval's production team were "devastated" but that they had "every intention of keeping Primeval alive in other ways".

And she's gone!
    - Susan 10           - Zoe 11                  - Adric 7               - Martha 10
    - Ian 10              - Liz 10                    - Nyssa 10            - Donna 10
    - Barbara 10        - The Brigadier 11       - Tegan 10
    - Vicki 10            - Joe Grant 10 (+1)     - Turlough 8
    - Stephen 10        - Sara Jane 11           - Peri 10
    - Dodo 8             - Harry 11                 - Ace  10
    - Ben 10             - Leela 11                  - Grace 8
    - Polly 10            - K9 10                     - Rose 10
    - Jamie 13          - Romana I 10            - Mickey 8
    - Victoria 10        - Romana II 10           - Captain Jack 10
    _________________________________________________________________
    33: Mel 0 (-2)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 153   5 years 14 weeks ago

That is indeed what we are planning to do. Next up for review is Planet of the Daleks, the first story of the 2nd Doctor. To do this series of reviews we are breaking course with our usual goal of only reviewing titles available on DVD in region 1 and 2 (outside of new episodes being transmitted of course).

Planet of the Daleks is one of those stories in which all the episodes are missing unfortunately. Though there are audio and reconstructions available.

Also a couple of the regeneration and post-regeneration stories we have already reviewed in past episodes of Doctor Who: Podshock. In those cases, we may just discuss the regeneration aspect of the story instead of re-reviewing the whole thing again.

Keep on listening.

- Susan 10           - Zoe 11                  - Adric 7               - Captain Jack 10
    - Ian 10              - Liz 10                    - Nyssa 10            - Martha 10
    - Barbara 10        - The Brigadier 11       - Tegan 10             - Donna 10
    - Vicki 10            - Joe Grant 10           - Turlough 8
    - Stephen 10        - Sara Jane 11 (+1)    - Peri 10
    - Dodo 8             - Harry 11                 - Mel 2 (-2)
    - Ben 10             - Leela 11                 - Ace  10
    - Polly 10            - K9 10                    - Grace 8
    - Jamie 13          - Romana I 10           - Rose 10
    - Victoria 10        - Romana II 10          - Mickey 8
    Looks like Mel is going down fast!Wink
  • Doctor Who: Radio Free Skaro   5 years 14 weeks ago

An amazing new Radio Free Skaro episode!:

Steven, one mighty pillar of the tripod that is the Three Who Rule, doesn’t often succumb to the base emotions. Indeed, compared to the gutter-dwelling antics of Pedantor and the frankly borderline illegal conduct of Warren, Steven’s unflappable facade is nigh-invulnerable. But when the fate of Pete Tyler in “Father’s Day” comes into play, all propriety goes out the window. Tune in and hear his descent into madness…if you dare.

Direct download: rfs145.mp3

Check http://www.radiofreeskaro.com for your Radio Free Skaro needs!

iTunes users can subscribe at here.

• Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 153   5 years 14 weeks ago

Haven't had a chance to listen to 153 yet, but I just wanted to say that I hope as part of this new feature on the various regenerations (which I think is a great idea) that you guys will look at the first story of the subsequent doctor as well as the story in which the regeneration actually takes place, because it's usually in these subsequent stories that we see most of the impact of the regeneration explored.

I can't recall the plot details of Power of the Daleks, but Spearhead From Space, Castrovalva, The Twin Dilemma, Time and the Rani and The Christmas Invasion are all stories where the consequences of the regeneration are inherent to the plot, and we see the Doctor come to terms with his new identity over the course of the story.  This is in contrast to Robot, for example, where as I recall they made a point of departing from this pattern, instead emphasising how smooth the transition was and jumping straight into the story.

I'm kind of hoping the Matt  Smith regeneration is a Robot-style more confident regeneration.  I've really enjoyed all those other stories dealing with post-regeneration trauma and instability (particularly Castrovalva, which I love) but we've seen that a lot now, and it'd be refreshing to go somewhere different with it...

• Dodged a Bullet??   5 years 14 weeks ago

YES!  Jekyll was terrific.  It takes a lot to creep me out, but when James Nesbit would tilt his head and get that weird grin w/ the vacant eyes - wow!  I understand he won an award for his portrayal...justly deserved.  Michelle Ryan also was excellent.  I feel in good hands w/ Stephen Moffat at the helm, and I look forward to lots and lots of plot twists.

• American Accents   5 years 14 weeks ago

I thought John Barrowman was Scottish - I saw an interview w/ he and his parents and they DEFINITELY were Scottish.  In fact, he said in the interview when he visits home he speaks in his 'normal' voice - which is a somewhat thick Scottish brogue.

- Susan 10          - Zoe 11                   - Adric 7               - Captain Jack 10
    - Ian 10             - Liz 10                    - Nyssa 10              - Martha 10
    - Barbara 10        - The Brigadier 11 (+1) - Tegan 10              - Donna 10
    - Vicki 10           - Joe Grant 10            - Turlough 8
    - Stephen 10      - Sara Jane 10             - Peri 10
    - Dodo 8            - Harry 11                  - Mel 4 (-2)
    - Ben 10            - Leela 11                  - Ace  10
    - Polly 10           - K9 10                     - Grace 8
    - Jamie 13          - Romana I 10           - Rose 10
    - Victoria 10       - Romana II 10           - Mickey 8
  • I AM A DALEK, RES CASKET, PIRATE LOOP, SICK BUILDING   5 years 14 weeks ago

The Tenth Doctor books have been hit or miss, but mostly hits with me. The Torchwood books are really good too, some are better than the show. I really enjoyed the TW book, Trace Memory. I wish they filmed that script.

• Dodged a Bullet??   5 years 14 weeks ago

Jekyll was a phenominal show! I had no idea where it would end when I watched the first episode. That show (as well as his DW episodes) is proof, to me at least, that Doctor Who is in very capable hands with Steven Moffat. I didn't have that big of a problem with the accents though, I just sat back and enjoyed the show. Just pure brilliance!

• American Accents   5 years 14 weeks ago

What about James Marsters? I thought he was from England until I heard him in interviews. His accent is impeccable though. Maybe that's why he rarely plays American roles. And Hugh Laurie is a master of accents. He can switch back and forth between so many, it's crazy.

• American Accents   5 years 14 weeks ago

Actually, Henry Van Statten was portrayed by New Orleans born Corey Johnson, and Lazlo was played by Ryan Carnes who was born in Pittsfield, Illinois. Also, Linda Marlowe is Australian. If there was something wrong with their accents, it's not because they're Brits. Also, John Barrowman is American, and Peri's accent was horrible.

I just wanted to clear things up a bit.

- Carl

• American Accents   5 years 14 weeks ago

Although not a British series, the British actor Jamie Bamber played Captain Lee "Apollo" Adama in the re-imagined Battlestar Galactica. If I did not hear his natural speaking voice myself, I would had said he was an American actor if I didn't know otherwise.

• American Accents   5 years 14 weeks ago

I'm also an American, and while I agree with you in general, I disagree about Tallulah. I thought her accent was right for the character: It was broadly stereotypical and caricature-like, which I think worked for her. Something more subtle would have been inappropriate.

• Seven Million Hits on GE 2.0   5 years 14 weeks ago

I can't believe you kept track of it all. Thanks. It's interesting.

The stats on the previous site will continue as it stays up and running as an archive, but obviously the numbers may slow down.

• Users Online   5 years 14 weeks ago

have you got rid of the 'Users Online' or has it moved?

I thought it was just using up real estate on the website. I didn't think it served any real purpose for visitors on the site unless we offered a chat room so you can see who was on the site to chat with at that given time. Since we currently don't offer a live chat feature, I am not sure how useful it was for people.

By removing it, it freed up space for other blocks in that side bar.

I myself use it to see when the traffic is low before taking the site offline temporally for maintenance.

There is also the matter of privacy for some. Since there doesn't seem to be a way for visitors to opt out on being included in it or not, it could deter some from participating on the site. Of course if you are not signed in or if you sign out, you only show up as a "guest" in it.

Does anyone else miss it or had found it useful?

• The Big Screen   5 years 14 weeks ago

I remember watching Doctor Who on a big screen full of like-minded fans way back in February 1985 at a Doctor Who convention in King of Prussia, PA with Colin Baker and John Nathan-Turner (JNT). As JNT was known to do back then, he brought over some new never broadcast in the US Colin Baker stories. This was new material for everyone there, so it made it even more exciting. It was shown in a large room projected on a big screen with every seat taken of course. It was very theatrical.

Of course there have been plenty other times since then, but none captured the same exact vibe as that time being that it was all new fresh new material and having Colin Baker and JNT there at the con only added to it.

• Doctor Who Motivational Posters   5 years 14 weeks ago

I will have to keep an eye out for that TARDIS console in the Thunderbirds.

• 9 needs more love.   5 years 14 weeks ago

No posts here yet? For shame!

There are more posts on the 9th Doctor in our previous site. Things are just picking up here. Thanks for getting the ball rolling here.

"Fantastic!"

• Air Date for Torchwood S3   5 years 14 weeks ago

I believe that is the true for BBC America as well. They are also launching their HD channel.

How do you rate Doctor Who: Time Heist? (5=Fantastic)