Yes, you can vote as many times as you'd like but have to leave a day between each vote.

• 9 needs more love.   5 years 11 weeks ago

I agree but I never forgot the power, the joy (EMPTY CHILD), the mystery (the Dicken's ep), and the love and care (FATHER'S DAY) that this Doctor has. In my mind he's tons better than Tennant's Doctor. I love the Chris months that we got and almost all the spinoff stories. I might be committing sacriledge but I also think Rose works better wtih this Doctor although I love how Tennant's Doctor drops all the hate that seems to stem from him toward Jackie and Mickey. The low point for me is the ep where the Doctor kicks Adam out of the TADRIS. I hated him in that one and hated his character in that. The original, which I bring up every chance I can, is that Adam wanted to save his father from a disease and that's why he sent the info back from the future....leading Rose to make the same mistake about trying to save her father in the very next ep aired. That would make the Doctor even more of a bastard.

Anyway yeah, I'd gladly rewatch every story but that one where Adam is kicked out. And the Doctor's jealousy is annoying but if anything that amplifies in Tennant's time as he sees every male as a male rival for...what? Female affection?

As for ALIENS OF LONDON I think it's saved by some strong scenes between Rose and the DOctor and the Doctor and Jackie and the Doctor and Mickey. THe actors all save it. I just watched some of that and feel it was one of the strongest for their relationships. He gives Rose the key. He comptemplates how dangerous it is for Rose and how awful his life is when he has to make desciions. Of course the cop out is that he lets Harriet make the descision for him...basicaly alleviating his guilt for possibly killing Rose...and her and himself. ANd he's sohappy about that...that is stupid but Jackie's question to him, "Is my daughter safe?" is jsut great. I also like her, "Since that man walked into ourlives, I've been attacked in the streets, I've had creatures from the pits of hell in my own living room, and my daughter disappwear off the face of the Earth!"  She's great in this. Then later Mickey reveals he can't accept the offer of coming with the Doctor---the Doctor actually asked him to come! Then the Doc covers Mickey up and this is a nice touch.

Chris just handles all of this wonderfully. I love his power in the second to last story. His "NO" to the Daleks, his tv debut on the game show in the confessional booth, his kiss to Capt Jack, his kiss to Rose, his jibs at Jack for revealing the Tardis forcefield, and his confrontation with the Emperior. He is both strong and caring, syjmpathetic...he doesn't want to commit wholesale murder and I love him for that. He just can't do it... and the way he lies to Rose to get her to leave and then his look after th TARDIS departs. His look as Capt Jack takes his side in the debate with the Emperior. His regeneratin scene...he's just good in just about every scene in eveyr ep

I also like his closedness in the early eps, END OF THE WORLD where he refuses to tell Rose about himself until the end. Then he does. His care for Dickens and his chastisement of Rose for not seeing things from an alien POV...of course, she's right not to trust the aliens in that and he's so wrong but never mind, how was he to know the Gelf were bastards?

And this Doc seems quite at home with children, old people, monsters and aliens, ugly or beautiful, and is full of temper for the most part. he also tries so hard...

Can't say that for the Tennant Doctor. When confronted with an ugly monster, he just calls it ugly.

And the Chris Doc has a tremendous sense of humor: such as when he suggests Jackie is not coming with them and laughs at that, when Rose calls him gay, and when he says 900 years of traveling through time and space and I've never been slapped by someone's mother or even "he's been defrocked" in EMPTY CHILD and almost everything he says in EMPTY CHILD including "I've got special powers in me nose" and "I've traveled with a lot of peopple but youre settin new records for jeopardy friendly". He seems to come up wtih quips on the spot and quickly even during danger. "I'm really glad tthat worked because it would have been terrible last words." but then RTD was strong in the writing and commissioning of good scripts with good dialog, knew what he wanted in the characters and why. And RTD did'nt write them all. So much better than what we have today. and you're correct DALEK made the Daleks DANEROUS AND EVIL AND MENACING again and made me feel the Doctor was justified in his anger and his new guntoting ways (not really new as Pertwee, Tom Baker, Davison and Colin Baker all carried guns in their time and don't even get me started on how manipulative and war like the 7th was and if the novels can be considered, the 8th Doctor has more blood on his hands than all the others). Still it's a powrful scene but one thing that bothers me the Doc, this Doc and the Tennant Doc are just thinkingt about themselves, their planet, their people,their family...which seems SO WRONG when compared with the older Doctors who cared more about the people they were with than Gallifrey.

This Doc was certainly damaged but he heals and for me, he's probably the best Doctor right under Tom Baker!

are people allowed to vote twice? It looks like some people are.

• From the Beginning: The First Doctor   5 years 11 weeks ago

Yes there's little to point out bad about the AZTECS. It has tension among the crew, historical danger, and good costumes. The sets, however could be better and I feel it would have been improved if it had been in color...maybe. FEATHERED SERPENT had a fresher feel to it but then again that was made in 1976 and 1978. This was as good it could have been given the time. Ian's fight was not as bad as I first thought it was and in having viewed it recently it was quite good. It would have been better if we could have seen the faces during the battle but maybe that was to cover up the stuntmen? The background during the fight was what it was: some kind of mural painting or something. It made the fight look like part of a stage play. This is where recent developments in effects and computers help or would have helped. I like Barbara's dilemma and which of us wouldn't want to try to do what she did? And it doesn't end "all well it ends well" so her meddling did nothing but cost a good man to have to run away and hide...if he survives. The Doc is so understanding in that last scene and I love how the characters have to work together to get back into the tomb and the TARDIS. The whole thing is well acted and well done. And the efforts to get back to the TARDIS fail and fail until it ..well, doesn't. The Doc is pretty funny in this and in that last scene I wondered why not get in the TARDIS and have that chat, it was much too dangerous maybe to stay outside but in the tomb. In any event, later the Doctor feels that some history can be changed so that rather negates some of the impact of this but on first viewing and aside from future events for the Doctor, this is very, very good. If only historicals could have kept this up and even today there are none. NONE. No real historicals done on DW. There are always aliens and monsters. I guess they want to keep ratings so they stay away from this. And the historicals need to be done accurately not for comedy. This is the way to do it. For another example watch THE MASSACRE.

I've amended my score for Harry earlier which I forget to add to:
    - Susan 10          - Zoe 11                   - Adric 7               - Captain Jack 10
    - Ian 10             - Liz 10                    - Nyssa 10              - Martha 10
    - Barbara 10        - The Brigadier 10       - Tegan 10              - Donna 10
    - Vicki 10           - Joe Grant 10            - Turlough 8
    - Stephen 10      - Sara Jane 10             - Peri 10
    - Dodo 8            - Harry 11                  - Mel 6
    - Ben 10            - Leela 11 (+1)           - Ace  9
    - Polly 10           - K9 10                     - Grace 8 (-2)
    - Jamie 13          - Romana I 10           - Rose 10
    - Victoria 10       - Romana II 10           - Mickey 10

CIA on TalkShoe at 2pm EDT

Today's topic:-

'Super hero films are all the rage but are comics heores being over used or is this just great for the fans?'

• From the Beginning: The First Doctor   5 years 11 weeks ago

THE AZTECS – SPOILERS!

Ahh, the Aztecs. What’s not to love? This was the first Hartnell story that I ever saw and I was struck then, as now, by its freshness, excellent supporting characters and just sheer good story-telling. I have to agree with Doctor Whoovie about the sheer quality of the historical adventures and am really hoping that, even if for just once a season, Mr. Moffat will reinstitute this tradition (I mean to say, not every single time period in history can be under threat of alien invasion, can it?).

The Aztecs shows us how just by becoming embroiled in the politics of the time period visited, the time travellers can become caught up in adventures and situations as exciting as the pure sci-fi episodes (if not, as in the case of these early stories, more exciting). I love the educational aspects of the episodes which are not shoved unsubtly down your throat but introduced as and when they should naturally arise in the narrative. The Doctor’s carving of a wheel which puzzles those who see it, for example.

Of course, the Aztecs is Barbara’s story. And about time too as I have felt that she has been underutilised up until now. Here we see how a history teacher might actually act when she has the chance to change history. But we also see the full extent of her  strength of character and resolve. This is Barbara’s story but that is not to say that the other three main characters are ignored. Each play a strong role in the main story. Susan’s 1960’s school girl refusing to accept the way in which the Aztecs treat their women, Ian’s rivalry with Ixtar, the Doctor making mistake after mistake (one of which leads him to get engaged!). All leading up to an exciting climax during which the crew escape by the skin of their teeth!

Anybody wanting a good starting point to get you into the First Doctor could do worse than to begin here. 10 out of 10!

• Tin Dog Podcast   5 years 11 weeks ago

1) Give us your own Who-Horoscope - learn a little about the TDP host

2) Tell us:  Who is your favorite Doctor? Companion? Bad Guy/Alien? Episode? One-off guest star?  Special Effect?

Anyway - whatever you decide, thanks for the podcasts!

- Susan 10          - Zoe 11                   - Adric 7        - Captain Jack 10

- Barbara 10       - The Brigadier 10       - Tegan 10              - Donna 10
    - Vicki 10           - Joe Grant 10            - Turlough 8
    - Stephen 10      - Sara Jane 10             - Peri 10
    - Dodo 8           - Harry 10                   - Mel 6 (-2)
    - Ben 10           - Leela 10                  - Ace  9
    - Polly 10           - K9 10                     - Grace 10
    - Jamie 13 +1     - Romana I 10           - Rose 10
    - Victoria 10       - Romana II 10           - Mickey 10

I was hoping someone had the knowledge! Thanks!  Vive la Teamwork!

• Tin Dog Podcast   5 years 11 weeks ago

How about your top ten or twenty Doctor Who stories ever told ...could be TV/Books/audio/comics?

A nice countdown a la old Top twenty on Top of the Pops!

• Tin Dog Podcast   5 years 11 weeks ago

hi. any ideas or requests for my 100th show?

• [POSSIBLE SPOILER] Retro Console Room & Ep 1 Villain?   5 years 11 weeks ago

That's great. To each their own I guess. As for the crew not taking the blame, well, if Tennant needed the time off, then he should have been fired and that would have given him the time off. I don't entirely blame him though. If he wanted the time off the crew, whomever that may be, RTD should have said, okay but we need to make a show here. And hired a new Doctor. Maybe that wouldn't have worked but neither is this , at least it's not working for me. At all. I hate every special that we've had with the BIG exception of CHRISTMAS INVASION of course. That was marvelous. I also seem to think VOYAGE OF THE DAMNED was okay but not terribly okay. And I like TWO, count em TWO or maybe THREE, count em, THREE scenes in the tepid RUNAWAY BRIDE. NEXT DOCTOR: awful from start to finish just about with the possible exception of the last scene but again, I'm sick and tired of the Oh poor lonely me Doctor. Boring already. And huge giant spetacle that makes no sense is boring too. PLANET OF THE DEAD? Dead to me already forgotten. I tried to watch it again recently and didn't get past the STUPID "Easter Egg" scene or whatever it was the Doc was doing on the bus. I'm sorry, I know you like it and you have a right to like it but I hate it and believe it to be one of the main reasons I now Hate DW. and if I'm not mistaken didn't it get lower ratings than all the other specials and the 4th season? How anyone who is not a die hard fan stayed with it is beyond me unless everyone who watches DW is a die hard fan.

• [POSSIBLE SPOILER] Retro Console Room & Ep 1 Villain?   5 years 11 weeks ago

The hiatus was all Tennant's fault, not the crew's. He had to have the time off to do Hamlet. I just wanted to make sure the blaim goes where it should.Although, I do agree that it was harmful to the show, no matter why it happened.

As far as the quality of the specials goes, I personally have watched the first half of The Next Doctor 6 or 7 times, but after the first time I always turn it off once the Cyber King becomes the plot. The first half is FANTASTIC though! Also, I have re-watched Planet of the Dead 2 or 3 times since first viewing as well. I think it's just a fun episode, and the first of the holiday specials since the 2005 reboot that I've actually enjoyed so far. However, the series 4 finale left me a bit cold, so I'm hoping the rest of the 2009 specials are good, or at least as good as Planet of the Dead. I think the finale just had too much stuff going on.

• [POSSIBLE SPOILER] Retro Console Room & Ep 1 Villain?   5 years 11 weeks ago

Sorry what I mean is the quality. I haven't enjoyed a special since CHRISTMAS INVASION or maybe a bit of VOYAGE OF THE DAMNED but to me the proving point for the new series is whether or not I want to rewatch the story. I've watched DOOMSDAY about two dozen times, no kidding. I watched Rose at least four times, EMPTY CHILD at least seven times, PARTING OF THE WAYS about five times, HUMAN NATURE four or five times  etc etc. I can't say I ever want to watch PLANET OF THE DEAD or NEXT DOCTOR ever again. IF Moffat stays with his track record (BLINK was awesome but barely had the Doctor in it) he'll do fine. But  I just hope he stays away from stuff like TIMECRASH and using old ideas over and over and over and over. The fact that they are saying they are changing the cosmetic stuff like the opening visual or the TARDIS (glad, I hate the coral bit and that new console room a lot) and maybe the theme song or whathave you AND that they might be using Daleks and they might be doing an Indiana Jones style story and have Nazis makes me really really really worried. I can compare it to TRIAL because what rumors we have now make me think the quality will be as bad as TRIAL and I, for one, I don't care about ratings at all. I just know what i like.   And I don't mean to be disrespecftul even though I can come off that way at times. I"m sorry about that. I just hate to see this great show go down the tubes the way it already has. I also think the hiatius or whatever they are calling it was a big mistake.

- Barbara 10        - The Brigadier 10       - Tegan 10              - Donna 10
    - Vicki 10           - Joe Grant 10            - Turlough 8
    - Stephen 10      - Sara Jane 10             - Peri 10
    - Dodo 8  -2          - Harry 10             - Mel 8
    - Ben 10            - Leela 10                  - Ace  9
    - Polly 10           - K9 10                     - Grace 10
    - Jamie 12 +1         - Romana I 10           - Rose 10
    - Victoria 10       - Romana II 10           - Mickey 10

Sorry I don't know how to do the colors

Using the rich editor (which should be on by default, but if not, you can choose it by clicking "Input format" on the bottom of the message text field), you can select the text you want to change color and then click on the "A" icon with the heavy line under it in the tool bar to change the colors.

I took the liberty of changing the format a little Mr. M, so that we don't have to scroll down endless lists. Hope you don't mind.
    - Susan 10          - Zoe 11                   - Adric 7 -2            - Captain Jack 10
    - Barbara 10        - The Brigadier 10       - Tegan 10              - Donna 10
    - Vicki 10           - Joe Grant 10            - Turlough 8
    - Stephen 10      - Sara Jane 10             - Peri 10
    - Dodo 10          - Harry 10 +1              - Mel 8
    - Ben 10            - Leela 10                  - Ace  9
    - Polly 10           - K9 10                     - Grace 10
    - Jamie 11          - Romana I 10           - Rose 10
    - Victoria 10       - Romana II 10           - Mickey 10
  • PodShock on Podcast Alley   5 years 11 weeks ago

Thanks Dave. I often wonder how many people out there still use Podcast Alley today. I need to re-add the links to it on the new regenerated website.

• Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 153   5 years 11 weeks ago

Outside of the fact that I was literally just finishing breakfast before we began recording this episode and feeling a bit off my game (takes a bit before the coffee kicks in -- actually I think I ran out of coffee that day, I had make do with emergency rations), the fact of the matter is that I had not seen/heard The Tenth Planet in years. So I wasn't prepared to review it for this episode.

So I will have to revisit The Tenth Planet again soon and give a proper review of it.

• Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 153   5 years 11 weeks ago

Thanks Dave... It looks like you grabbed that image of the book using your new "web cam" camera (Logitech QuickCam). It seems to be working well for you. It did well on your re-launch show of daveac vblog last week too.

• [POSSIBLE SPOILER] Retro Console Room & Ep 1 Villain?   5 years 11 weeks ago

Comparing this to The Trial of a Time Lord is way off though. The Trial season had way lower viewer figures, as The Next Doctor was the 2nd most watched program on Christmas day on BBC, with a peak at 12.58 million viewers. The stories of the last two specials were not nearly as weak as the stories for The Trial either.

Obviously people are still loving the Doctor, so I don't see it ending anytime soon. I have a feeling that Matt Smith's 1st episode will have HUGE viewer figures. People are excited to see what he will be like as the Docotr, and what direction Moffat will be taking the show. So far, Moffat's episodes over the past few years have been some of the most well received, which is bringing a lot of excitement for the future of the show. Even though there have been a few mis-steps, I am really enjoying the specials and can't wait for the next one. And I am not alone in that feeling. I think the cast and crew have done an amazing job of re-inventing the Doctor for a whole new generation, while keeping most of the old viewers as well.

Hurt Heal: The Companions

- Ace  9
    - Grace 10
    - Rose 10
    - Mickey 10
    - Captain Jack 10
    - Martha 10

Ok - this may take a little patience since the 3.0 website 'posting' buttons are different from the 2.0 website. I've cleaned up a few things, but this is good - we're getting the hang of it.  This post is up to Chase's post - Keep going everyone!
  • The Minute Doctor Who Podcast   5 years 11 weeks ago

Doctor Who Mastermind

I'd like to try a new things for my podcast along the lines of the BBC show Mastermind.

Have a look here for details of how to get involved.

• Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 153   5 years 11 weeks ago

Good show guys.

Just a image of 'The Tenth Planet' Book

save to see larger size:-

Tenth Planet Book

How do you rate Doctor Who: Deep Breath? (5=Fantastic)