• Celebrate 24 Years With Us   5 years 16 weeks ago

I hope lots of people will be able to join us, for what should be a fantastic night :)

• Matt Smith’s Face To Appear In Doctor Who Titles?   5 years 16 weeks ago

Who is Rich Johnston? I think it would be very cool if they did show Matt Smith's face in the opening credits as is the tradition with Doctor Who, but we don't know if it is happening or not. I don't understand why this is spreading over the net as it is because someone on a blog posting says something to the effect that 'I believe this is happening' when Matt Smith takes the role.

As I said, I think it would be lovely if it did, I hope it does, and I hope Rich Johnston's right, but I don't know how he would know any better than any one else or does he have some sort of inside track in the production that I am unaware of currently?

• new trailer   5 years 16 weeks ago

I guess that CoE is not being used in it's standard context here

Oh, Church of England, I thought you meant Corp of Engineers.

• new trailer   5 years 16 weeks ago

I guess that CoE is not being used in it's standard context here

• From the Beginning: The First Doctor   5 years 16 weeks ago

Okay, I might be opening myself up to the wrath of all here, but I have to start by saying I hated this.

This has to be the most boring story I have watched in the Hartnell era to date. The costumes and sets were obviously
    ground breaking at the time and they were trying do do real sci-fi, as had never been done on British TV before, however it seems to me that the narative was just pants.

I had to watch the third episode about three times before I made it through without falling asleep.

In the making of documentary, they said that the 'grubs' had been added to the story at the last minute to try and add some more narative. I think that was the problem, there just wasn't enough story in there to support a 6 part adventure, perhaps 4 parts would have been better.

Although it wasn't stated on any of the material I watched I suspect that the cost of costumes and scenery was such that they had to make it span 6 episodes so that they could afford to do it.

Anyway, I hated this one. Any other points of view?

Now it's on to the crusade, which I have listened to as an audiobook read by William Russell, but have never watched.
    Look forward to some more Loose Canon reconstructions.

• Thank You Louis!   5 years 16 weeks ago

thanks for making the new site look great. keep up the great work with podshock.

• (SPOILER) Possible Weddings in "Doctor Who"?   5 years 16 weeks ago

Thanks for the tip.

It doesn't automatically show up so I had to find it.

I also used it on the links so I could hide the story titles.

• From the Beginning: The First Doctor   5 years 17 weeks ago

The Romans is great fun! And almost unique, in fact, in that it really is Doctor Who as an out and out comedy/farce! And its such fun!

Anyone who hasn't seen it is in for a treat when it shows in on DVD (in the US!) shortly! Hooray!

• (SPOILER) Possible Weddings in "Doctor Who"?   5 years 17 weeks ago

BTW - On another website message board - a source who has in the past been very very accurate and responsible, claims to have deliberately started this rumour nad spread it around the internet to see if the tabloids would pick it up!

Guess what? They did :)

• From the Beginning: The First Doctor   5 years 17 weeks ago

This was a great story. Yet another story which I was completely unfamiliar.

I was surprised how this switched between farce and deadly seriousness (slavery, tongues being cut out, Rome burning to the ground).

This story was great light relief showing nicer, more gentle side of the Doctor. I found Vicki likable in this story, as I did not take to her character particularly in the Escape.

Costumes were great, but the sets were a bit lackluster, just drapery for the most part.

I felt let down by some of the Story. The galley part was pretty weak and then the arena scene versus the lion just never materialized.

It was most amusing although 'all road lead to Rome', the paths never crossed.

What surprised me most was the fact that Tavius was ultimately good, I was sure bretral was coming at any moment.

Nice to see Doctor Number One doing some swordplay.

• From the Beginning: The First Doctor   5 years 17 weeks ago

I quite enjoyed this story even though it was short and simple.
    Again, I was not familiar with the story, but given the fact that I knew Vicki became a companion, it was clear that Bennent couldn't survive to the end of the tale. I therefore guessed the key point of the ending, pretty early on.

I liked the Koquillion costume (seem to have seen it a lot over the years) so was ultimately dissapointed to see that the Dido species were human (I would use the phrase humanoid, except that they weren't, they were definately human).

• From the Beginning: The First Doctor   5 years 17 weeks ago

I have commented on this story previously (website V2) but remembered something that struck me as odd when I watched it.

The TARDIS landed with the front windows open! This was obious on a) the model used for materialization and b) on the full size prop used with the actors in front.

This struck me as very odd, as it meant it was deliberate (actually making a model with the windows open).

Equally odd, was the fact that the windows were shut at the end of the story when they are leaving Susan behind.

Are there any other instances of the TARDIS windows being open?. I can't think of any, but am not familiar with most first Doctor stories which follow this one, or many of the second Doctor Stories. This being the reason I decided to try and watch everything through from the beginning.

• Threaded or Flat   5 years 17 weeks ago

I have been investigating other forum options. There may be some good news possibility in terms of third party options... if they work properly within the CMS here and if it is not too complicated to implement. I need more time to investigate and research it.

• new trailer   5 years 17 weeks ago

The trailer was posted on our previous site (2.0) last week. Here it is here:

• (SPOILER) Possible Weddings in "Doctor Who"?   5 years 17 weeks ago

The thing is that RTD really likes to do two things...

Tie things up nicely and surprise the audience.

I mean, the amount of times they've suggested they were going to do something and on paper it sounded awful, but when implemented it worked perfectly and the oddness either disappeared or enhanced the story.

I guess it's a testament to the man's skill as a writer.

So what I'm saying is, while I'm in your camp that I'm not convinced about it I'd have to say I have the utmost confidence in the man to do a superb job of it if things do go in that direction.

Plus I guess he'll want to go out with some kind of bang and while weddings aren't exactly a "BANG" for us blokes, they certainly are with a certain number of ladies.

• (SPOILER) Possible Weddings in "Doctor Who"?   5 years 17 weeks ago

You can change the text color easily via the Rich Editor. If it does not automatically show up for you, click the "Input format" below and select the Rich Editor. The select the text you want white. Click on the "A" icon in the tool bar with the thick underline and you should see a color pallet. Choose white. As an example, the following is in white text: This is in white text now. <-- white text here.

• Wow! Outpost Gallifrey and the Doctor Who Forum are closing!   5 years 17 weeks ago

I felt the same way when I firts read the announcement, especially since there's so much fantastic content on the site that has nothing to do with the forums.

But, having been a part of running a big forum for a while and then passing my responsibility off to others, I can say with experience that passing things along is a mixed bag. After I left, the person I handed my administration responsibilities to just...didn't do the job, and things began to fall apart. I don't know if they ever picked back up again, but I'm STILL getting emails daily from forum members asking me for help, and it's been more than a year now.

So whatever his reasons, I don't believe it was completely selfish to choose to shut things down altogether rather than give it over to someone else. It might be better for the community to "go out on a high" as the announcement put it, especially since there ARE very valid and acceptable alternatives out on the web now for Who community and discussion, and it's not like shutting the doors to the only library in town, you know?

Still, I can see where you're coming from, and I feel a bit like that myself. Everything's so well organized and there's so much stuff on there that we're losing a great source of information, and that's rather sad.

(Still, at least the convention is going strong! Glad to see there's no plans for anything to happen to that <3 )

Congratulations on 93 episodes and nearing 100, Dave AC! I just started listening to CIA a while ago, it's rather lovely <3

(On avatar size, if you don't mind me speaking up, I do think 85x85 is just right for this forum, but then again my screen resolution is really high -1400x1050- so 85x85 looks fairly small on my screen.)

• Thank You Louis!   5 years 17 weeks ago

The forums don't feel sufficiently "forumy," as has been discussed elsewhere, but the whole place looks much cleaner, much more professional. Good job. Which CMS is this?

• (SPOILER) Possible Weddings in "Doctor Who"?   5 years 17 weeks ago

OOPS!

My bad!

It's going to take me a little time to adjust to the forums.

BTW: How do you do white text here?

PS: I tried to space it down but the post automatically put back to the way you see it.

• Gallifreyan Embassy Blogs   5 years 17 weeks ago

Excellent! Looking forward to the new blog. Cheers, Mark

• Calendar?   5 years 17 weeks ago

Yeah, this is one of the features which was built into the previous CMS which is not in the new CMS. But I have been looking into other options in form of 3rd party modules that could give us calendars and/or events on the site. It won't be exactly like what we had on the previous site though.

The same thing goes with web links ("Web Resources" on our previous site).

• This Week In Doctor Who - May 30, 2009 (test posting)   5 years 17 weeks ago

It worked! TWIDW is here! I still can't believe the amount of work you do on a weekly basis to make this resource possible.

• url in sig   5 years 17 weeks ago

Yes, use can use a URL link in your sig. Just use standard html to make them hot links.

For example:

<a href="http://gallifreyanembassy.org">Gallifreyan Embassy</a>

For a link to the Galifreyan Embassy. There seems to be a size limitation on the sigs. I don't know what it is off hand, but it will trim it to make it fit. I will have to look further into it to see if I can increase it.

The size right now is set for 85x85. Do you feel that is too big?

How do you rate Doctor Who: The Caretaker? (5=Fantastic)