• Wow! Outpost Gallifrey and the Doctor Who Forum are closing!   5 years 20 weeks ago

I felt the same way when I firts read the announcement, especially since there's so much fantastic content on the site that has nothing to do with the forums.

But, having been a part of running a big forum for a while and then passing my responsibility off to others, I can say with experience that passing things along is a mixed bag. After I left, the person I handed my administration responsibilities to just...didn't do the job, and things began to fall apart. I don't know if they ever picked back up again, but I'm STILL getting emails daily from forum members asking me for help, and it's been more than a year now.

So whatever his reasons, I don't believe it was completely selfish to choose to shut things down altogether rather than give it over to someone else. It might be better for the community to "go out on a high" as the announcement put it, especially since there ARE very valid and acceptable alternatives out on the web now for Who community and discussion, and it's not like shutting the doors to the only library in town, you know?

Still, I can see where you're coming from, and I feel a bit like that myself. Everything's so well organized and there's so much stuff on there that we're losing a great source of information, and that's rather sad.

(Still, at least the convention is going strong! Glad to see there's no plans for anything to happen to that <3 )

Congratulations on 93 episodes and nearing 100, Dave AC! I just started listening to CIA a while ago, it's rather lovely <3

(On avatar size, if you don't mind me speaking up, I do think 85x85 is just right for this forum, but then again my screen resolution is really high -1400x1050- so 85x85 looks fairly small on my screen.)

• Thank You Louis!   5 years 20 weeks ago

The forums don't feel sufficiently "forumy," as has been discussed elsewhere, but the whole place looks much cleaner, much more professional. Good job. Which CMS is this?

• (SPOILER) Possible Weddings in "Doctor Who"?   5 years 20 weeks ago

OOPS!

My bad!

It's going to take me a little time to adjust to the forums.

BTW: How do you do white text here?

PS: I tried to space it down but the post automatically put back to the way you see it.

• Gallifreyan Embassy Blogs   5 years 20 weeks ago

Excellent! Looking forward to the new blog. Cheers, Mark

• Calendar?   5 years 20 weeks ago

Yeah, this is one of the features which was built into the previous CMS which is not in the new CMS. But I have been looking into other options in form of 3rd party modules that could give us calendars and/or events on the site. It won't be exactly like what we had on the previous site though.

The same thing goes with web links ("Web Resources" on our previous site).

• This Week In Doctor Who - May 30, 2009 (test posting)   5 years 20 weeks ago

It worked! TWIDW is here! I still can't believe the amount of work you do on a weekly basis to make this resource possible.

• url in sig   5 years 20 weeks ago

Yes, use can use a URL link in your sig. Just use standard html to make them hot links.

For example:

<a href="http://gallifreyanembassy.org">Gallifreyan Embassy</a>

For a link to the Galifreyan Embassy. There seems to be a size limitation on the sigs. I don't know what it is off hand, but it will trim it to make it fit. I will have to look further into it to see if I can increase it.

The size right now is set for 85x85. Do you feel that is too big?

• The Big Screen   5 years 20 weeks ago

Thats one of the reasons I have a 16mm projector and a tv projector. we set up a sheet of white plywood outside and watch old movies on film and new ones on DVD. We even have a real popcorn machine!

• Thank You Louis!   5 years 20 weeks ago

This new site is fantastic! I can't even begin to imagine how much hard work you put into it. Now that Outpost Gallifrey is leaving us, this will, hopefully, become the new hub of Dr. Who fandom.

Thanks Louis - I cleaned mine up a bit in the background :-) Perhaps the avatar allowed size is a little large the way this new forum looks.

100x100

85x85

80x80

75x75

60x60

100x100

85x85

80x80

75x75

60x60

• Threaded or Flat   5 years 20 weeks ago

Here is another image that is 1024x768 - same image as before.

unsung hero 1024x768

set at 512x344

EDIT - just saved it back to my PC - as 1024x768

• Threaded or Flat   5 years 20 weeks ago

You should be able to resize the image if you are using the Rich Editor's picture icon, it will pop up a window which you can enter the dimensions of the image. If you just enter the width, I believe the height will automatically be scaled to match.

• Threaded or Flat   5 years 20 weeks ago

In the old Forum I often posted picture up to my PhotoBucket size limit of 1024x768

When I displayed them in the GE forum I'd use the ('width="512")
    so that is would fit the forum but be of higher quality if people 'saved it' to view.

Looks like a width limit of 512 or thereabouts will be all this forum will take - or will it 're-size' any image to a percentage of it's full size?

• Threaded or Flat   5 years 20 weeks ago

Citations went away. They should be gone now as it didn't seem to serve any purpose if the final result was simply italicized text.

• Threaded or Flat   5 years 20 weeks ago

Trying the Rich Editor - Playing with it - for fun :-)

Here's a recent picture from my weekend paper - as a 'test image'

EDIT - Not 'upload' an image but link to one already up.

Unsung Hero

• Threaded or Flat   5 years 20 weeks ago

Please investigate a forum plugin, I'm sure we'd all chip in if cost is an issue. At the moment I'm liking the new site in general a lot more but the new forum a lot less.

Just my two pennies!

Thanks

• Threaded or Flat   5 years 20 weeks ago

Yeah, in the end, the citation results in just italicizing.. It should just go away as it will only add to the confusion.

• Threaded or Flat   5 years 20 weeks ago

The double quotation marks are only grayed until you select some text. Once you select text, it becomes available. It is used to make "citations"

This is an example of a citation.

I am not sure if it would be of any use.

• Threaded or Flat   5 years 20 weeks ago

Yeah, I see the <b> was being filtered out in the Filtered HTML input setting. I don't know why the software was set like that as a default, I added the <b> for that input format now. So it should not be filtered out as it was before for the "Filtered HTML" input format.

Hence, these are the kind of bumps that need to be ironed out.

• Threaded or Flat   5 years 20 weeks ago

I don't think the Rich Editor option was turned on for authenticated users. My bad. It should be available now under "Input format"

Ahhh, there it is.  And there's a quoting facility, even if it's hardly intuitive, and doesn't link the quote to the name of the quoter.  But man, this is a tiny, tiny font which defaults in this rich text editor.  Any idea what that last double quote symbol (underneath the Omega symbol) means?  Mine's greyed out, so it's impossible to tell.

• Threaded or Flat   5 years 20 weeks ago

You should see it now. I thought it was set up to be available after one registers on the site. Sorry.

• Threaded or Flat   5 years 20 weeks ago

You've completely lost me, Louis. Not seeing this "rich/WYSIWYG editor" option anywhere. Also this sentence is in bold, using the b tag. So why isn't the b tag working? Also, I have NO idea how you're interjecting code, cause this is what happens when I use the code tag: This text enclosed in () tags. The entirety of that was enclosed in cite tags and there's a cite tag in the parentheses.

How do you rate Doctor Who: In the Forest of the Night? (5=Fantastic)