• Wow! Outpost Gallifrey and the Doctor Who Forum are closing!   5 years 12 weeks ago

In a sense, Outpost Gallifrey will never die. As Shaun said, the community is still there. The conventions are still there.

We owe a great deal of gratitude and thanks for the community that Shaun and the forum staff at the website built over the years. No small accomplishment.

For those who remember the Doctor Who Alliance Newsletter (1998 to 2001), This Week In Doctor Who was included as a segment in that newsletter. The day I finally created a Yahoo Group to have my own distribution besides the Alliance and newsgroups, the Alliance Newsletter closed.

Good timing on my part, though for years I heard from people who were shocked to learn I was still around - they thought TWIDW stopped with the Alliance. Learned something there.

You're much better prepared than I was in 2001, Louis.

Everything has its time and everything dies. Thankfully everything lives first. Outpost Gallifrey has had a great life.

• The Big Screen   5 years 12 weeks ago

I'm in Minneapolis, MN (USA) and the closest I can get to seeing it on a big screen is with our local DW Meet-Up group. Once a month we view episodes on a large wall screen in a Celtic pub. It's fun, but hard to appreciate it like in a theater.

The news about Outpost Gallifrey and the Doctor Who Forums closing is pure coincidental to opening of our new site now. I suppose we really need to iron out whatever issues we may be having with the forum by the end of July now. Surprised

My guess is that many of the existing Doctor Who based forums may see an increase in traffic. I also suspect as much as OG has been a central hub for discussions relating to and around Doctor Who since it began, that many people participating in the forums there are already active in other forums. So they may find themselves participating more so in the forums they are already registered in than looking for new ones.

Who knows (no pun intended).

But if you are asking if we can handle the traffic that OG gets, especially during high traffic news events (i.e. a new Doctor is announced or something to that nature), I don't know. The CMS we are using here now does have allowances to handle high demands, but the server itself may have issues.

• Forum Test   5 years 12 weeks ago

I think if we go to a "Flat" instead of "Threaded" system for replies here, they will be of equal width.

Yep, you got it in your reply (or comment) here.

The good news is - we have 2 more months to enjoy Outpost Gallifrey a little more and remember the good times.

And we have time to make new plans for the future. Very thankful Shaun is giving this large amount of notice. Many places just close immediately and leave people in the lurch.

• Gallifreyan Embassy Website Regenerated   5 years 12 weeks ago

It looks smashing, folks. I think I'm going to enjoy my new Who home.

• Thank You Louis!   5 years 12 weeks ago

Looks great Louis! Easier on the eyes, good streamlining and better navigation. I was formerly IRTDWT, but wanted to go with this username - no disrespect to daveac of course!

I have to admit that I will miss Outpost Gallifrey but the Forums not so much. Signal-to-noise ratio was in the maddening category.

Looks like when I start a thread my avatar doesn't appear.

But with this reply - I'm guessing it will be here.

Louis, can you handle the traffic? ;)

Good timing for the new Gallifreyan Embassy.

• Forum Test   5 years 12 weeks ago

Hi Louis - is it possible the allow the 'replies' to a post to be the same width as the first post - or do tthey have to 'shrink' each time?

And if I ask any more awkward questions I'll have to hit that Donate button :-)

Will I get an avatar now?

• Thank You Louis!   5 years 12 weeks ago

Thanks Idiom. The blogs will be (initially) created by the staff and crew of the website and podcast (i.e. James, Ken, Dave, Taras, myself, etc.), but we have been discussing opening it up to select others that are interested. So I am glad you mentioned it is something that interest you.

Do you have a blog elsewhere now or have you written elsewhere before? Email me and let me know.

Thanks.

CIA has been pretty consistant each week, so it is not surprising that you are nearing episode 100 already. Kudos to you and everyone involved in keeping it a weekly show. No small feat.

• Forum Test   5 years 12 weeks ago

I just moved this thread to Website Feedback instead of Doctor Who Chatter. When it was created, it was simply to test the forum out and at the time, not all the different forums had been created yet, so it was placed in Doctor Who Chatter, but obviously this has nothing to do with Doctor Who.

• Forum Test   5 years 12 weeks ago

The fixed width of this theme which we adapted for our use on the site has its pros and cons like so much else with the new site. The pros is that as the webmaster or administator or designer or whatever... website creator - there! You have a better idea of what the site might look like across the board. Though we never know for sure because of all the different browsers and platforms out there in use. I have been using the new site mostly using Safari and Firefox on the Mac myself. Just between those two, it looks different between the two.

For those that use their web browser in a full screen mode, the fixed width will seem to be a waste of real estate. I don't use the browser that way myself as I feel the browser is wasting too much of my monitor real estate. It seems more of a common practice on Windows to do it that way, and the times when I had to use Windows for whatever reason, i found myself doing it as well.

Although I have tweaked the theme a bit, I did not create it myself. I wish I had the time to learn and do that myself. The fixed width is a condition of the theme itself.

I guess the way around it all was if the theme provided an option to go either way, giving visitors here a choice between the two.

Who knows, we may go with another theme in the future that will do this or simply not be a fixed width theme. I initially tested out about a half a dozen themes as possible candidates for the new site. Of those, I don't think many were fixed widths outisde of this one (if any at all). But they had other issues that were of greater concern. Perhaps if and when those issues are addressed, we can revisit them.

Another solution is down the road we may offer alternative themes, which you can choose to use via your individual account settings.

• Follow Us on Twitter   5 years 12 weeks ago

Yes, the widget never blended well into the site. For a short while I was using another widget that worked a bit better as for as it being consistent with the look of the rest of the site, but it still felt like it was competing.

What I like about the widget displaying the most recent tweet is that it was visible on the site so important news that is tweeted via Twitter is also reflected here on the site.

We do have a Tweets page now. But you have to view the page to see them. I can take also put them in a block on the right or left side, but for some unknown reason the block format is interfering a bit with the theme here. It's not too bad, it just does a little funky thing with the browsers scroll bars when you mouse over it. I may re-enable it again, just to get the news which is posted on Twitter immediately here on our site.

Hmm.. I just had another idea, I have to try.

Yeah, I like the Twitter badges and simple link we have there now. It went through many revisions before it looks like it is now. If you click on the link to follow us, it will bring you to another page which lists more Twitter accounts, including yours Dave.

• Thank You Louis!   5 years 12 weeks ago

Yes, the first post or the originating topic for a thread won't have the avatar attached to it. This is because the forums are essentially similar to how the CMS handles articles and comments elsewhere. The first post in a thread can be seen as an 'article' and all the replies under it as 'comments'  Right now, it is set up so that only comments have the avatar. Otherwise ever article I post to the site (new podcast episodes, news, etc) will have my sorry face attached to it as well.

We could perhaps try it out and have the avatars appear on all posts and see how it looks. I just fear it may look too cluttered on the front page with the listing of all the articles there. Unless we made them smaller perhaps. I don't know.

Unlike our 2.0 website, in which the forums used a 3rd party module, this one is part of the core CMS software, that is why it behaves so similar to the rest of the site.

• Thank You Louis!   5 years 12 weeks ago

Nice one Louis! This site is a lot easier to read and seems more accessible. Best of luck with it!

• Thank You Louis!   5 years 12 weeks ago

When I made my first post I didn't have and avatar at the new 85x85 size.

I do now - so I wonder if it will magically appear in the earlier post of mine in this thread :-)

• Forum Test   5 years 12 weeks ago

Louis says this is a 'fixed width' theme - It's a pity the fixed with couldn't be more like 1280 than 1024

But it's more to do with each successive reply getting narrower than might make long threads a problem

• Thank You Louis!   5 years 12 weeks ago

Thanks for the heads up on the "it's" - It's a common mistake of mine. I have corrected it now. If shows up elsewhere on the site, please let me know.

Thanks as well for the feedback on the site. Yeah, the header was a natural. If only we knew when we took the photo that it would be so popular and we would use it as our default cover art and elsewhere, we would had better prepared ourselves for the photograph. It was a quickly posed shot, as 'candid' as it could be for a non-candid photo.

How do you rate Doctor Who: Deep Breath? (5=Fantastic)