• Thank You Louis!   5 years 28 weeks ago

I think everything looks great! I really appreciate all the time and effort put into the revamp of the site!

Congrats!

• Threaded or Flat   5 years 28 weeks ago

Have to agree with Capricorn1's comments. I have a nice 20" widescreen monitor which was nicely filled by the 'classic' site. Now the area which previously housed the left and right side bars (containing quick links, adverts, information etc.) are blank (well tiled seals of Rassilon). Consequently, the space which used to be reserved for the main content has been divided up into three (the now narrow main content plus both the sidebars). Sorry to whine, my Mum used to say 'if you haven't any thing nice to say then don't say anything' but I never listened to her!

• Threaded or Flat   5 years 28 weeks ago

I'm not really liking the look of the new forum at all at the moment. The new site in general is very good but the forum doesn't current;y feel very 'forum-y' if that makes sense? It feels more like a list of comments and is far too narrow. I hope Louis is able to make it wider and that it grows on me.

• Thank You Louis!   5 years 28 weeks ago

It does indeed look rather nice.

Very web2.0 - or should that be 3.0.

• Wow! Outpost Gallifrey and the Doctor Who Forum are closing!   5 years 28 weeks ago

Every cloud has a silver lining, it's got me to get off my lazy, nowhere near toned enough bottom and finally get round to registering here after listening for the last few years.

Admittedly as silver linings go it has more of a tin hue than you'd hope but hey, it's something.

• Thank You Louis!   5 years 28 weeks ago

Fantastic new site Louis. Great work.

I've got go against the grain here and say that in my opinion I think Shaun is being bit selfish in totally closing the site. He talks about being proud of the community he started but then he's closing it. Why? If he doesn't want to be involved then why not simply pass the forum on to somebody else to run and have no more to do with it, I thought that was part of the reason for spinning the forum and news sites off separately and giving them new URL's.

As a result of this, I hope that the forum here has a big boost and the community here grows further.

• Thank You Louis!   5 years 28 weeks ago

Hear, hear!

I concur, congratulations on the fantastic new site Louis.

• Threaded or Flat   5 years 28 weeks ago

We could change the default to be flat. I have added the option to allow people to choose between the two now. I just wish the forum would allow the option to automatically quote the message you are replying to so it would make flat easier to follow if you knew what the person was replying to in their reply.

Perhaps we can give flat a try and see how that works.

• Threaded or Flat   5 years 28 weeks ago

I personally find threaded to be rather frustrating to deal with when it comes specifically to finding new posts. So flat + quoting is my preference. To each their own.

But so far it, the new site looks good. :)

• Threaded or Flat   5 years 28 weeks ago

I was able to add a new user specific options on viewing the comments (replies) in the forums. Any thread with at least one comment should give you controls on how to view the comments (replies). So you will be able to choose "threaded" or "flat" and so forth.

Also, now you can reply right at the bottom of the thread.

In a sense, Outpost Gallifrey will never die. As Shaun said, the community is still there. The conventions are still there.

We owe a great deal of gratitude and thanks for the community that Shaun and the forum staff at the website built over the years. No small accomplishment.

For those who remember the Doctor Who Alliance Newsletter (1998 to 2001), This Week In Doctor Who was included as a segment in that newsletter. The day I finally created a Yahoo Group to have my own distribution besides the Alliance and newsgroups, the Alliance Newsletter closed.

Good timing on my part, though for years I heard from people who were shocked to learn I was still around - they thought TWIDW stopped with the Alliance. Learned something there.

You're much better prepared than I was in 2001, Louis.

Everything has its time and everything dies. Thankfully everything lives first. Outpost Gallifrey has had a great life.

• The Big Screen   5 years 28 weeks ago

I'm in Minneapolis, MN (USA) and the closest I can get to seeing it on a big screen is with our local DW Meet-Up group. Once a month we view episodes on a large wall screen in a Celtic pub. It's fun, but hard to appreciate it like in a theater.

The news about Outpost Gallifrey and the Doctor Who Forums closing is pure coincidental to opening of our new site now. I suppose we really need to iron out whatever issues we may be having with the forum by the end of July now. Surprised

My guess is that many of the existing Doctor Who based forums may see an increase in traffic. I also suspect as much as OG has been a central hub for discussions relating to and around Doctor Who since it began, that many people participating in the forums there are already active in other forums. So they may find themselves participating more so in the forums they are already registered in than looking for new ones.

Who knows (no pun intended).

But if you are asking if we can handle the traffic that OG gets, especially during high traffic news events (i.e. a new Doctor is announced or something to that nature), I don't know. The CMS we are using here now does have allowances to handle high demands, but the server itself may have issues.

• Forum Test   5 years 28 weeks ago

I think if we go to a "Flat" instead of "Threaded" system for replies here, they will be of equal width.

Yep, you got it in your reply (or comment) here.

The good news is - we have 2 more months to enjoy Outpost Gallifrey a little more and remember the good times.

And we have time to make new plans for the future. Very thankful Shaun is giving this large amount of notice. Many places just close immediately and leave people in the lurch.

• Gallifreyan Embassy Website Regenerated   5 years 28 weeks ago

It looks smashing, folks. I think I'm going to enjoy my new Who home.

• Thank You Louis!   5 years 28 weeks ago

Looks great Louis! Easier on the eyes, good streamlining and better navigation. I was formerly IRTDWT, but wanted to go with this username - no disrespect to daveac of course!

I have to admit that I will miss Outpost Gallifrey but the Forums not so much. Signal-to-noise ratio was in the maddening category.

Looks like when I start a thread my avatar doesn't appear.

But with this reply - I'm guessing it will be here.

Louis, can you handle the traffic? ;)

Good timing for the new Gallifreyan Embassy.

• Forum Test   5 years 28 weeks ago

Hi Louis - is it possible the allow the 'replies' to a post to be the same width as the first post - or do tthey have to 'shrink' each time?

And if I ask any more awkward questions I'll have to hit that Donate button :-)

How do you rate Doctor Who: Death in Heaven? (5=Fantastic)