Vampires of Venice: SPOILERS!!!!
“Yours is bigger than mine!”
“Let’s not go there.”
What fun! After last week’s corker, I was really preparing myself to be disappointed by this one but series five delivers yet again.
It looked beautiful, the dialogue was sparkling and witty, and it was the episode which my daughter found scariest so far.
· Rory! A great addition to the crew. And for those nay-sayers of last week’s final scene between Amy and the Doctor, we now know that it was there for a reason. The Doctor doesn’t want to make the same mistakes as he made with Rose and the set up from the previous episode leads to this ‘romantic’ outing to Venice. But is this the only reason that he wants Rory and Amy together?
· The Doctor: I like the bit when they say it’s bigger on the outside! And his glare at Rory as if to say: how dare you upset my view of the world.
· The stag party. Ha ha! Greta. And I also liked Rory’s stag t-shirt on the gondolier.
· Bill Hartnell! The library card! Oh the fans love references back to the classic series.
· The vampire girlies – brilliant! This really reminded me of one of my favourite films: Polanski’s Fearless Vampire Hunters. Totally crazy, madcap and Baroque! And who knew that fish from outer space would be so...well... buxom.
· And the monster was a good looking design and the perception filters a great idea for explaining why they had no reflection. However, a question – if the clothes were part of the perception filter’s doing (as they clearly were) why did Mother Fish need to undress before throwing herself into the canal at the end?
· Shades of the Shakespeare Code and Evolution of the Daleks in the finale. But how is it that Moffat can copy what’s gone before and just do it so much better?
· So now we know that Amy’s relationship with the doctor is not another Rose-like affair or Martha unrequited-moping, and thanks to the Doctor Amy and Rory are in a good place by the end of the episode. Yes, this is definitely what this Doctor would do. This three-way relationship bodes well and as a huge fan of the Fourth Doctor-Harry-Sarah crew, I’m hoping that Rory hangs around for a while.
I’m sure I’ll think of more to say about this later. But for the moment, a very credible 4 out of 5!